Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Reluctance

It was another few days before Harry saw Snape again, unaware of the intense series of thinking and debating that the man had been tormenting himself with for long periods of time. But it wasn't as though Harry could skip potions that Tuesday morning and get away with it, so seeing no other option other than to just face the classroom...Harry followed behind his sympathetic friends as they took their seats.

"Alright there, scarhead?" Draco asked loudly and the other slytherins sniggered for Harry really was looking rather miserable.

"Shut up, Malfoy" Ron growled.

"Ignore him" Hermione said to Harry and he nodded.

"He's just being a git like always" Ron added as the doors opened and Snape stepped into the room, giving out the instructions for the lesson before he had even reached the front of the classroom.

 His eyes scanned over the students until they fell on Harry and he could not deny that the boy appeared to be getting as much sleep as he was, which was to say they were both undersleeping. But what did he have to mull about? The boy wasn't the one with the decision, although Snape hated to admit (but the evidence was all too clear) that Harry certainly looked downright miserable. His gaze roamed over the pages of his textbook slowly and he barely paid his potion much thought or attention.

Snape hadn't made up his mind and considered him a foolishly crazy man for even considering it...but when he took a few steps towards Goyle as his potion was forming into sludge, he saw Harry glance over at him and those pained, emerald eyes struck Snape's own. It was only for a fraction of three seconds but they'd had their effect.

He had only seen that look once before: When he and Lily had lost their long-term friendship and parted to their own ways. It was a look Snape never wanted to see again as guilt and remorse flooded him and he felt that if he followed through with what he had now decided...there was no turning back, there would be no quick exits...he had to stick to his word as always and truly commit himself to such a decision.

Another reason he'd said "no" was because he had no idea how to be a father, how to care for a child...he desperately feared ever falling into this role with anyone for he always worried he'd crack and become what his father was: a heartless monster. But Lily had taught him that he had a heart, no matter how deep he tried to bury it, the heart was always there and willing to love if he gave it the chance to. Perhaps he should chance it, perhaps he and Harry truly could both gain from this situation?

"Merlin help me" Snape muttered too quietly for anyone to hear.

--

Harry frowned as he read a line of instructions in his book, not quite sure if it was making much sense, but than again his mood was so defeated he wasn't sure if he even cared.

"Satisfactory effort, as usual Miss Granger" Snape commented as he approached their desk and Harry's head instantly snapped up. "Mr Weasley, what is this?" He scowled into Ron's cauldron.

"Er...I..." Ron frowned as he looked into the cauldron and scanned over his book uncertainly while Hermione just rolled her eyes and tried to help him.

"Mr Potter..." Snape glanced at him instead of his cauldron while Ron and Hermione tried not to pay attention and the worry for their friend won over.

"Sir?" Harry replied and glanced into his cauldron quickly, checking it wasn't too bad but it was the correct shade, even if it was a bit darker than it was supposed to be.

"You seem to still be on step five while everyone else is halfway" Snape said. "Slacking off again, are we?"

"No sir" Harry sighed, his mood hit rock bottom as he looked back at his textbook. "I am not sure what to make of step five, it's confusing" And much to the shock of those paying attention, Snape grabbed the book and read the line before handing it back.

"I do not find it is too difficult to comprehend, Mr Potter" Snape replied. "You are to increase the heat and then add the liver. Stir it twice, lowering the heat once again before adding the final ingredient."

"Oh" Harry looked at his book and frowned. "That makes more sense, thanks sir" He said and looked up greatfully but Snape had already turned to rectify Longbottom's slowly-melting cauldron.

"He helped you" Hermione mouthed to Harry with a delighted grin and even Ron as looking rather optimistic.

"Yeah" Harry smiled. "He did" He felt a wash of relief and hope fill him as Snape never even helped the Slytherins unless they asked for it, and he was a Gryffindor although he had asked for it, in his own way. Granted Snape's response wasn't exactly nice but the fact that he hadn't just insulted and walked away was enough to brighten Harry's day.

"Mr Longbottom, are you capable of doing anything right?" Snape hissed angrily as he fixed Neville's cauldron for what he felt was the millionth time since the boy had stepped foot inside his classroom that first day.

"S-Sorr-ry...I..." Neville gulped and paled while the Slytherins sniggered.

Snape rolled his eyes. "Start over" He ordered and went back to the front of the classroom, allowing his eyes to find Harry who was...working hard and was looking rather content about something. Who would have thought that it was Snape's slight actions that had improved his mood rather than them having the opposite effect.


And by the end of the lesson, Harry had produced quite an okay potion and he was rather relieved to that fact, so sure that if Snape hadn't "helped" him than it would have ended up as foul slop at the bottom of his cauldron.

"Class dismissed" Snape announced and turned his back on the classroom.

"Harry?" He heard Hermione ask but he remained turned around, unaware of the boy that was approaching him until his soft voice reached him.

"Thanks" Harry said and then hurried after his friends, accidently knocking a jar onto the ground, which smashed and sent peppermint leaves all over the floor. Harry visably winced as his friends rushed to help him pick them up but Snape had not moved until the three Gryffindors were done cleaning up and had prepared to leave.

"Mr Potter" Snape said and turned to face them, seeing the annoyed expression on the boy's face as he eyed the now-repaired and refilled jar of peppermint leaves.

"Yes sir?" Harry asked as his friends backed away and left the classroom at Hermione's urging.

"This...position, you have requested of me" Snape began and Harry felt his breath catch in his throat as he knew what he was talking about since he looked so uncomfortable.

While Harry nodded, Snape was preparing to state that he was "forced to once again decline" but there was a spark of something in Harry's eyes that had never been in Lily's eyes...was it need? No, she had shown him that before when she was upset or frustrated over homework. Was it...anxiety? That wasn't right either. Then it hit him...Harry was desperate. Did this really mean that much to the boy? Surely not...Snape had never experienced someone needing or even wanting him that desperately for any reason.

"Professor?" Harry asked, biting his lip in a very Lily-like way.

"I..." Snape frowned; what was he to say now? If he didn't have his mother's eyes, that boy would easily have been turfed out of the labs by now.

"It is my understanding that you have indeed thought something through for once?" He asked. "You understand what you are asking of me? What responsibilities and decisions that you are bestowing upon my shoulders?"

"Yes sir" Harry nodded. "I thought about it for weeks, I...don't want to be a burden" He added, although Snape had a very hard time to believe that. The boy had run out of words so Snape continued.

"You understand that if I tell you to do something you are to do so, without any of your childish back-chatting or incompetence?" He asked and Harry nodded, looking a bit grim now.

"You will respect any decisions I make involving you for I will only have your overall interests in mind?"

"I will sir" Harry sighed.

"I don't believe you" Snape said honestly and as if to prove his point, Harry opened his mouth to object. "However..." He added and Harry's mouth closed quickly.

 'Since you insist that you have very little adult guildance in you life...those childish actions are overseen to a point, but trust that I will punish you if I see fit."

"Does this mean you're..." Harry perked up hopefully. "You're going to be my new father?"

"I am going to regret such a insane decision, but yes Mr Potter...to an extent, I will fulfill the tasks that a father does for a son" He said, not openly accepting or agreeing to be a father to the boy.

"Thanks!" Harry grinned and for a brief second, Snape was so sure the boy was about to hug him but seemed to have caught himself just in time.

"This is to remain between us" Snape added. "I do not think it would be a wise move for this news to spread."

"Of course" Harry nodded, not being able to stop grinning or feel the swelling of happiness inside him. "So...what happens now?" He wondered.

"Now, you leave before I change my mind" Snape said, not intending to be so honest but the boy was gone in seconds so he inhaled sharply and headed for his office. Where to go from here, indeed.


Harry almost skipped his way to the Great Hall and was grinning like an idiot when he met up with his friends.

"I've never seen that look on your face after being around Snape" Ron commented with raised eyebrows. "Are you okay, mate?"

"He accepted" Harry explained and Hermione shared his happiness while Ron tried to but couldn't help to point out that their lives could end up as hell now.

"No, you're wrong" Harry said to Ron. "For the first time in my life since I was one-year-old, I'm going to have a parent, someone who will..." He then paused and thought for a moment. "But, he won't really care about me, will he?" Harry sighed and his mood dropped.

"Dumbledore probably told him to do this...he might not even want anything to do with me besides my grades."

"Ronald" Hermione scowled at him for she felt this was his fault. "Harry, you can't think like that. I doubt Snape would have agreed if he wasn't willing to go through with it."

"She's right, mate" Ron added, mostly to avoid Hermione's wrath for he was as unsure as Harry.

"Miss Granger!" McGongall called out and the friends turned to her as she approached so Harry took the chace to sneak off and neither noticed at first until he was long gone.

--

Harry took the stairs two at a time with the intent of going to his dormitory and looking over the photo album Hagrid had given him the previous year but he wasn't paying attention to the staircases and soon found himself on the 5th floor. But before he could turn back, he noticed a stone door that he couldn't remember ever seeing last year.

Curiosity and Gryffindor bravery posessed him to approach the door and he pushed it open to reveal a room. It was dusty and cobwebbed but otherwise utterly empty.

"Hey, watch it boy!" A rude voice barked and Harry glanced towards the right where a life-sized painting was resting.

"Sorry" Harry said, staring at the painting of an old man with a mostache and thick robes. His appearance was blurred by age, lack of colour and dust so those were the only things Harry could really make out from where he was. "Who are you?" Harry asked. "And what is this room?"

"Who gave you the right to barge in here and interupt my peace with rediculous questions?" The man growled.

"Now you sound like Snape" Harry sighed. "I'll leave" He turned but the man spoke again.

"Did you say Snape?" He asked. "Severus Snape?"

"Yes...do you know him?" Harry wondered but couldn't see how if he was stuck up in this room all the time.

"I visit my great-aunt's portrait sometimes" The man nodded. "And she lives in Dumbledore's office and she has seen him quite often, always complaining about how stubborn he is...quite an eavesdropper my great-aunt Millie" He shook his head.

"I'm Archald Farring and even I know Harry Potter when I see him. What are you doing in my room of emptiness?"

"Room of emptiness?" Harry repeated.

"It's empty, ain't it?" Archald joked. "It's for when students are feeling rather down and they come in here to be alone, most of them whinge and cry to me but I've been lucky these last fifty years or so."

"I've never seen this room before" Harry commented as he approached the portrait.

"Well you're not even a third year yet, no wonder! But that is good, only those really lacking something huge in their life can see this place. Let me have a look at you" He instructed and Harry came closer still.

"Ah yes...an orphan boy. Either than or neglecting parents, haven't had one of those kids since Severus Snape himself were here."

"But you said you heard of him from..." Harry frowned, now distrusting of the stranger.

"I did, but I never said I haven't met him now...did I?" Achald scowled. "Listen here boy, if this is the first time you've seen this room than whatever is going on with you is rather recent, I thought you've been an orphan since you were a baby?"

"I was, but recently I've been thinking..." Harry said and didn't notice the door shutting as he sat on the stone floor in front of the portait as floating candles instantly appeared. And so he proceeded to tell small details to the stranger, unsure as to why he was confiding in someone he didn't know or that wasn't even alive but he just wanted to get it out, vent to someone who wouldn't feel overwhelmingly sympathtic towards him.

"The moment you entered this room, all I get is Severus Snape" Archald sighed.

"And I hear you kid but I ain't no counceller. Although...I do not belive you should worry."

"Why not? He's Snape...greasy git" Harry frowned. "He's probably doing this because he was told to."

"Perhaps. But you have your mother's eyes" Archald said knowingly.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Harry frowned.

"Lily Evans was a dear friend of his" Archald shrugged. "At least they were until he locked himself up here for days during his 5th year."

"I didn't know that" Harry said in surprise and slight anger that no one had told him.

"And you didn't hear it from me!" Archald growled. "I do not normally share what I hear in this room for it's a sactuary to those within, apart from me...but you need to hear something: Severus Snape is no heartless man. He has suffered far more in his youth than he has in his adult life and he's been through just about everything in his adult life. He will do right by you kid, it just make take him some time to come around" Archald nodded.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked skeptically.

"You're asking this of a man who has spent seven years listening to that boy cry and spill his frustrations or pain. Trust me, I know."

"Thanks" Harry said as he got to his feet.

"Feeling better?" Archald asked.

"Yes sir" Harry cracked a smile.

"Good, now clear off!" The man suddenly snapped and pointed to the door, startling Harry. But he obeyed and left through the door.

But as he turned to close it he found a corridor greeting him that was in place of where the room had been. Had it even been real?

Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!