Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The beginning

"I hate you" Where the first words out of Snape's mouth as he entered Dumbledore's office later that night and stared hard at the old man.

"Good evening, Severus" Dumbledore said as though "I hate you" was a nice form of greeting. "Lemondrop?"

"No" Snape glared as he sat on the seat and remained quiet for a moment. "If the Dark Lord is to return, how am I to explain my regretful sitation with Potter?"

"Situation?" Dumbledore prodded but correctly suspected what he was surely refering to.

"Don't play dumb, old man" Snape said. "You know exactly well what I mean! I accepted Potter's request, but you should know...they were on my own terms and for my own reasons."

"Of course" Dumbledore nodded. "As for Lord Voldemort, you would pass this building relationship between the boy as being assigned to mentor him."

"Very well" Snape nodded and found it to be such an obvious solution now.

"Albus..." He looked at the man with an uncertain air about him. "I do not know how to be a father to the boy."

"That is understandable, Severus" Dumbledore said. "For you have never been a father yourself and have not been shown a clear example of a good father" He said, refering to Tobias Snape's treatment of his son as well as the plain fact that Severus had no children of his own.

"But I do not believe that you have anything to fear. You would never harm a child and I have utmost faith in you, Severus" He explained.

"Although I cannot say much more than that. Fatherhood is a learning experience and each child requires different needs and attention, I trust you will be able to understand those things when you spend more time with the boy."

"When?" Snape frowned. "Assuming that I will. And I am not entering "fatherhood" as you so incorrectly put it" He said, still refusing to fully accept his new role in the boy's life.

"Ah...but you are my friend" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled more than usual. "And I have no doubt that given enough time and understanding, you will make an excellent father for the boy."

"Raising the spawn of James Potter will be no easy task, I assure you" Snape said firmly and once again wondered how his mind had tricked him into agreeing to this entire insanity to begin with.

--

After his "discussion" with Dumbledore, Snape headed back to his quarters but along the way he heard a sound and knew it was past curfew so went to investigate.

 He rounded a corner near his office and hoped that no one was trying to steal from his private storage because he was so not in the mood right now. He turned another corner and that was where he spotted Harry knocking profoundly loud on his office door.

"Stupid git" Harry said and stopped knocking, now just staring at the door.

"Probably off gossiping about me and planning how to make me feel even worst. I was stupid to think he would do this for any reason other than stupid Dumbledore, and Ron was right...he would never care about me. I'm fooling myself" Harry sighed and sniffled, turning to stare wide-eyed at Snape himself. "Er...sir."

"It is more than an hour past curfew, Potter!" He scowled. "Ten points from Gryffindor. Now what absurd reason do you have for pounding on my door at this time of night?"

"I...it's nothing" Harry said in a rejected tone.

"So you prowled around after curfew for nothing?" Snape sneered.

"Another ten points, until you tell me the truth" He could see Harry's jaw stiffen as he bit back a complaint and objection.

"Fine" Harry hissed. "I was coming to ask you why you never told me that you knew my mum."

"Archald" Severus growled, since his great-aunt Millie had been missing that night, he knew where she was and judging by Harry's slumped shoulders and sullen face he was sure he'd had enough amount of misery to find the room of emptiness. "I did not feel as though this information would benefit you in any way."

"I seem to be the only one that doesn't know anything about my parents" Harry grumbled.

"If that is all, you are still out after curfew" Snape said and when Harry said nothing, he nodded. "I will escort you back to the Gryffindor tower to ensure that you stay there."

"But...fine" Harry sighed and followed him back to the 7th floor. "If you don't mind me asking..."

"I do" Snape cut in. "But continue."

"Well, how exactly is this whole..." Harry glanced around. "...father thing going to work out?"

"We are here" Snape said as he stared at the staircase leading right to the fat lady.

"Sir?" Harry inquired again.

"I am yet to brush over the details myself, Mr Potter" Snape sighed in annoyance. "When I am certain, you shall be the first to know."

"Oh okay" Harry nodded. "But I just...well I thought we could take it slow, one step at a time. Like homework and grades and then move on the the actual...stuff" He shrugged and looked away in embarrassment.

"Nevermind, goodnight" He said and went to leave.

"Mr Potter" Snape said and he turned back.

"For future reference...I do not gossip" He said in response to Harry's disgruntled mutterings eariler.

"Right, sorry sir" Harry said and gave the password to the fat lady.

"Goodnight, Mr Potter" Snape said and walked away while Harry stood there transfixed.

He had no idea what was going to happen next but he could tell that Snape was at least making an effort not to be so unfair and mean lately...but then again, he had just deducted twenty points because he simply felt like it.


The following day was alike any other, Harry was even starting to wonder if anything had changed between Snape and himself for it certainly didn't seem like it. Those thoughts remained three days later as Harry, Ron and Hermione made their way to Potions.

"Are you sure he said..."

"Yes, Ron" Harry sighed for the third time that day. "I'm sure."

"Just checking" His redheaded friend sighed and went back to chopping.

Harry's potion wasn't doing too well as he spent most of his time sneaking a glance at Snape or was distracted by his thoughts and confusion.

--

Before long, the class had ended as though it had barely begun and Harry was packing away this things and cleaning his table.

"Mr Potter, remain behind" Snape said and Harry cast a nervous glance at his friends. Ron gave him a thumbs up while Hermione mouthed "good luck" and with that they had left behind the rest of the class.

"Sit" Snape ordered and pointed at a random desk, which Harry obeyed and hastily sat at. He placed a piece of paper in front of Harry, which appeared to be a timetable.

"What's this?" Harry asked, not rally bothering to read it.

"Your new schedule" Snape replied in a dull tone. "You will not be late and you will have plenty of time to study or do your schoolwork. I expect you to follow it without fail."

"Yes sir" Harry said, now giving it some attention. "What about Quidditich?"

"That would be under "free time", Mr Potter" Snape sighed.

"Oh" Harry said, seeing the small parts marked "free time"...the very tiny sections.

"And this is supposed to help me get better at my classes?"

"Do you doubt me?" Snape frowned in annoyance.

"No" Harry shook his head.

"You will also have three study sessions with me per week" Snape added and indicated them on the schedule. "Monday, Thursday and Saturday night at 7pm sharp. You will not be late" He added.

"Bring any work you are lacking in and I will assist you with them" Snape told him and raised an eyebrow as Harry breathed in relief and looked up at him.

"Thank sir, that would really help" Harry smiled.

"Hense the purpose" Snape said. "You are dismissed."

"Right, thanks again" Harry nodded and left the classroom, grabbing his books and bag along the way.

Snape watched him leave and crossed his arms, somewhat relieved that the boy had no idea the amount of hours he'd put into the schedule or what he was sacrificing (such as his sanity and patience) by agreeing to spend three hours with Harry per week.

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose and went to find a butterbeer or perhaps some student assignments to take his stress out on.

Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know whatcha think. Things are starting to work themselves out for these two but they both have a fair way to go.