Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
And here is chapter ten! On we go!
Punishment

Last time:

 

Fortune soon left him, as he heard just behind him a dangerously silky voice say "And would you care to explain, Mr. Potter, what that display was all about?" Turning about sharply, Harry gazed up at his obviously livid Head of House. Wondering just how he was going to get his head off the chopping block that time, Harry couldn't repress a shudder of absolute terror. His first two days had been better than most of his life, and now his Hogwarts days were over. He wondered what god he had angered for his life to be so messed up.

Severus looked down at his student balefully, his black eyes glinting with obvious rage. He had felt his heart leap into his throat as the foolish boy had headed straight for the wall without seeming to care. Once the boy was safe, that fear had quickly turned to anger. He said softly, yet loud enough to be heard by all "Messer’s Finnigan and Potter, with me. Now, Mr. Finnigan!" He turned on his heel, and led the two rule-breakers back into the castle and up towards Minerva's office. It would be better if he took the Gryffindor to her when he was in such a rage; otherwise he was likely to hear complaints about unfair punishments.

Harry bit back a whimper as he followed the Potions Master. He was in so much trouble, and he had no hope at all that he would get off easily. Hadn't Professor Hooch said the one(s) on a broom would be expelled? His throat tightened up slightly as fear and despair started to wash through him. His Uncle would likely kill him if he showed up several months too early on Privet Drive.

Severus took a deep breath to try and calm himself, and then knocked on Minerva's office door. In half a minute it opened, to show a very surprised Gryffindor Head of House. When she caught sight of one of her students, her eyes narrowed briefly. Stepping out of the way, she stated "What happened this time, Severus?" The Potions Professor glowered at the students as he walked into the room. He replied "Why don't you ask the boys yourself? I only know that I saw them flying without permission."

As Professor McGonagall glared at them, Harry paled slightly. She said in a tight voice "And what, exactly, was the situation you two?" Finnigan took this as his cue, weaving a story that painted Harry as the bad guy trying to steal the Rembrall. McGonagall stopped him before he'd really gotten started, saying "I seriously doubt that is the case, Mr. Finnigan. Besides which, your lying skills leave something to be desired. Mr. Potter, care to tell your side of the story?"

Harry blinked, surprised that he was going to be heard out. That had never happened before with Dudley; his aunt and uncle always just believed their son. Seeing that the Professors were waiting, he told the story as it happened. How Neville had lost control of his broom, and ended up with a broken wrist. How Finnigan had found the Rembrall, and had been toying with the idea of hiding it. As he told what happened next, Finnigan looked slightly shame-faced, but also furious. Then and there he swore that he would pay the Slytherin back, no matter how difficult.

When Harry finished his story, Minerva exchanged a glance with Severus. She then said in a voice near as deadly as the one the Potions Master used "While that was noble of you Mr. Potter, neither of you had any right being in the air at that time. You both will face two weeks detention, one with Mr. Filch, the other with your respective Head of House. May I point out, Mr. Finnigan, that I've never been more disappointed in a student. Targeting your own House indeed!" Severus glowered all the more, though secretly he was hiding a grin. It was rare to see the Lioness so angry at her own student. He said silkily "Shall I escort Mr. Finnigan as well as Mr. Potter down to dinner, Minerva?" She nodded, stating that she had some work to attend to before she could come down for dinner.

As Harry followed the Professor down to the Great Hall, he leapt for joy inside. When Finnigan glared at him as if it was a crime to be happy when one had detention that night, Harry simply stated "At least we aren't facing expulsion." That shut the Gryffindor up, and he went to sit down at his table. Harry realized he was still holding the Rembrall, and he rummaged in his bag after sitting down. Finding a small pouch to put it in, he slipped the pouch into a position that it wouldn't get broken. He then enjoyed his meal, smiling as Draco congratulated him on escaping being expelled.

***

Severus grimaced as he spoke the password (Boston Beans), and stepped onto the moving staircase. He entered the Headmaster's office, his eyes glinting with impatience. He hated when he was summoned during the evening, even when it was necessary. Refusing the proffered lemon drop, he stated "Let's get to it, Albus. I have homework to grade, and it isn't going to get itself done."

Albus nodded, eyes twinkling. He said "I couldn't help but notice the Flying Class today. Harry flew very well, didn't he?" Severus growled softly, remarking "Yes, but he was as fool-hardy as a Gryffindor. I can't see how anyone with that attitude ended up a Slytherin." Albus chuckled, and pointed at the tattered old Sorting Hat. He said "Why don't you ask it, then, if your so confused?"

Severus glared at Albus, and got up. Approaching the Hat, he did ask why Potter ended up in Slytherin. The Hat replied "The boy was suited for all the Houses, but he asked to be put in a House where he could belong. You, better than most, should know that is Slytherin." With that the Hat fell silent, leaving a very baffled Potions Master. Severus sat down, thinking that over briefly. Albus let him, knowing he wouldn't get anything out of him before Severus has figured it out.

***

Seamus stalked down the corridor towards the staircase that led to the seventh floor. He was furious, and his hands ached after scrubbing at the floors all night. Had Seamus taken another corridor, he would have missed hearing something that caught his interest. What it was was voices that were talking. Talking about how to get Potter next. Seamus grinned slightly, and approached the voices. He was angry, and wanted revenge badly on the one who had gotten him into trouble. Perhaps these voices would help him, and if they didn't, he could always sell them out to one of the Professors and get his punishment reduced. Oh, what a brilliant plan this would be, he thought to himself.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope this satisfies you. Please R&R folks.