Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Late, yes I know. Without further ado, on we go!
Christmas Planning

Last time:

He thought to himself So help me, but I'm coming to care for Potter, despite myself. The Christmas Holidays are going to be interesting indeed if this is just the beginning.

It took Harry a couple of days before he could readily be on his own without risk of a relapse. By the time he was allowed back into the dorms, his homework was almost finished, and Christmas was almost upon them. He worried about how well his gifts were going to be received, the few he sent out. He also wondered what he could get the Professor, as there was no doubt in his mind that he had to find something to give the normally stern man.

It was these thoughts that were playing through his head when he found an all too familiar portrait; or, rather, a portrait with two familiar figures. It was a painting of Salazar riding atop Tia, and looking very much at peace with the world. How Slytherin had gotten anyone to paint the two of them without panicking, or being killed by the basilisk’s gaze was beyond Harry. All that mattered was this was almost definitely another entrance to the Chamber, and one that was within the safe area of the dorms.

Harry once again began to search through passwords, surprised when it opened to a hissed open says me. Honestly, couldn’t Slytherin have found a more unique password to the entrance within the House itself? Shrugging his shoulders, he warily entered the passageway. He noticed that there were only a few stairs, thanks to the fact that the dungeons were only a little ways above the Chamber itself. There were no nasty surprises for him as he travelled to Tia’s home.

Once he finally entered the Chamber, he called to the Queen Snake "Tia, are you at home?" He waited until he heard the familiar hiss, and then headed towards her. His eyes were shielded with the spell for now, as Tia had once told him only Slytherin could approach her without being killed, and only because he had been there when she hatched. Even with the danger, though, he felt safer with her than he ever had with the Dursley's. At least she wouldn't lash out at him with or without warning.

Tia was waiting for him in her special room, the one she had stayed in for years while sleeping. It was designed to keep her comfortable no matter how big she got or how the temperature was outside. Even so, it was obvious to Harry that she was rather groggy at the moment. It appeared that she still hibernated, despite the heated stones. Shaking his head mentally, he approached the large snake, hissing a greeting to her.

~What brings you here today, little wizard; especially after that fiasco of last time? ~ Tia sounded somewhat ashamed when speaking of what had happened a couple days ago. Harry realized it was because she had been unable to save him, despite the fact that the cold had nearly been enough to kill him, a warm blooded mammal. He shuddered mentally to contemplate what it would have done to a reptile.

~I found a secret passage within the safety of the dorms, Tia. One I can easily climb back up. Also, what happened a couple of days ago was not your fault! ~ Harry stood there with his hands on his hips after he said that, facing her as if glaring. He heard something, and suspected that it very well might be a chuckle. He smirked to himself as he realized what a sight he must look: an undersized eleven year old telling off an ancient Basilisk.

Shaking his head slightly, he continued ~Anyways, that's beside the point. I actually came down here to ask some advice. ~ Tia curled about him gently so that he could use one of her coils to lean on while he talked. He explained to her how Christmas was only a day or two away, and he had no idea what to get the man who had saved his life a number of times. He also wanted to know if she desired anything that Christmas.

Tia contemplated both his questions than hissed ~For me, it doesn't really matter, though I do get lonely sometimes when I wake up from my sleep. For your professor...go over into the corner, and bring back what you find there.~ Harry followed her instructions, finding that he soon had a handful of basilisk scales of all different sizes. He tilted his head questioningly at her, so she replied ~Basilisk parts are rare, and highly valued by Potion Masters. Our venom can help create antidotes too many poisons that a bezoar cannot cure. Our scales have any number of uses. Because I do not think it wise that any but you know of me for the moment, I give you the shed scales which are easier to procure than the venom is.~

Harry barely kept himself from squealing with delight, but he did give Tia a hug. He then concentrated, and suddenly two clouded mirrors appeared. One was Tia's size, the other he slipped into his pocket. He told Tia that they were communication mirrors, but that there was no visual aspect to it. She thanked him heartily, and then sent him back to the dorms, not wanting him to get into trouble of any kind.

Bidding his familiar goodbye and Happy Holidays, Harry headed back for the staircase that led up to the dorms. Once there he began to wrap the precious scales with utmost care. He would give it to one of the school owls to deliver, as he really wanted to see Professor Snape's face when he received a Christmas gift worth so much.

***

Severus sighed, and sipped at his coffee while contemplating the wall in front of him. His quarters were rather sparse in comparison to the other professor's, but it was still comfortable to live in. He had a large, black leather armchair by the fire, which was the one he was sitting in. Then there was one sofa, of cotton material, a couple of armchairs for guests he like, and some hard backed chairs for uninvited and unwelcomed visitors. However, he was currently contemplating the dark blue wall in front of him, thinking of Christmases past, of decorations, and of one small, green-eyed boy who had won his heart.

As if on cue to his thoughts, his fireplace flared green, and Lucius was asking to come through. Intrigued by the excitement in the other man's voice, Severus allowed his old friend passage. When the normally stern, icy man came through, it was with the joy of a child who had received just what they wanted for Christmas. Blinking, Severus asked "And what has you so pleased, Luc?"

Lucius barely kept himself from bouncing as he replied "I found the answer to that quandary you presented to me a few months back!" With that, he pulled out a roll of paper and handed it to Severus. It appeared to be a spell, and an obscure law concerning guardianship. Raising an eyebrow, he waited for an explanation.

The other man seemed to understand, so he clarified "That, my friend, is a spell and the laws concerning a blood ward transference. All that is required is a blood adoption, Severus, though it would be strongest if it was performed on New Year’s." Lucius' silver eyes were glowing with excitement, something Severus hadn't seen since they had both been school children.

Sighing, Severus said "Not to put a damper on your joy, Luc, but who would blood adopt the boy? Particularly on New Year’s, without even knowing Harry?" Lucius didn't even start when Severus used the boy's first name, instead turning a full Cheshire grin on his friend. Severus, seeing this, started to protest heartily, only to be stopped by one sentence from Lucius.

"He is the son of your heart, Severus."

Chapter End Notes:
Hopefully it was worth the wait? Please R&R. Also, to those of you who are taking Latin, or have taken Latin, congratulations on being in a school that offers it, but please be patient for those of us who only had access to Spanish, French and Russian.