Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanted to get this one out before the holidays were over. Without further ado, on we go.
Christmas Surprises

Last time:

"He is the son of your heart, Severus."

Christmas dawned sunny that year, a welcome change to the bitter cold and blizzards that most of the Winter had been. Yet it was rather lonesome for Harry, being the only firstie among the students who had stayed at Hogwarts. He was surprised that he got gifts, though, as it was the first time he ever had.

From Draco, he recieved a flitting dragon toy no bigger than his hand; oddly, he found it great to practice his reflexes, for it moved surprisingly like a snitch. Hermione had gotten him a book on advanced magic with the note to take special care with some of the spells. Surprisingly, he recieved some mince pies and a warm sweater from a Mrs. Weasley; Harry guessed that was Ron Weasley's mother.

The most unusual gift he got that Christmas, though, was a silky material that had no true shape. Harry didn't truly see it, in fact, but rather the magic surrounding it. He soon found out that it was an invisibility cloak, had once belonged to his father, and the one who gave it to him didn't sign it. Shrugging, he packed it away, along with the book from Hermione and the mince pies.

Harry then got dressed, pulling on the sweater over his clothes. Because it was Christmas, Dumbledore allowed the students to be out of uniform. It was somewhat cold, but thanks to Ron, he had warm clothes as well as the sweater. Leaving the dungeons, he headed for breakfast with the toy dragon on his shoulder. This had been a rather interesting morning.

***

Severus grimaced to himself, and twitched nervously. He hated Christmas, with all the cheerfullness and decorations. But this Christmas was different; he had someone to give a gift to, a life-changing gift. The only problem was, he wasn't sure if the child would accept the gift, or would rather be with someone else. He knew without a doubt that the boy would not want to return to his relatives; indeed, that wasn't even an option.

Thus, it was with the butterfly feeling in his stomach that he headed up to breakfast. Why Dumbledore insisted on everyone being at breakfast was beyond Severus, particularly when the school only had a few students in it.

Even sunny, the day was too cold for anyone to want to play outside. That might be why, when he stepped into the Dining Hall, he saw piles of false snow and patches of false ice in addition to the normal Christmas decorations. Grimacing, he walked to his place at the table, noting that there were only two tables that day. There may be fewer than two full houses that Holiday, but there was still enough people to warrant more than the Head Table.

Taking his seat, he helped himself to a modest breakfast fruit cup and coffee. He looked over the students, and noticed both that they all were somewhat uncomftorable, and that Harry had taken pretty much the same breakfast as Severus himself had, though with orange juice instead of coffee. Eating slowly, he enjoyed his meal, glad that Quirinus had decided to stay in his quarters that day. He had made sure that Quirrel would walk warily in the halls for most of the holidays, and he'd done it discreetly.

Severus didn't bother looking up when he heard the mail come in, what few owls there were. Therefore he had to hide his startlement when a school barn owl landed in front of his plate, and held out its talon. Severus took the package, and offered the creature a piece of fruit. Snapping it up willingly, the owl flew off with a flap of silent wings.

"Looks like you got a Christmas present, Severus. Wonder what it could be. Is there any signature on it?" said Minerva quietly next to him. She was the only one brave, or foolish, enough to sit next to the snarky Potions Master during the holidays. Ironically, Severus always found himself having to keep a grin off his face, as she usually said many things at once. She wasn't scatter brained, but shecould be as hyper as her Animagus form sometimes, despite her age.

Shrugging, he put the package through the usually testing spells, and found that the present bore little magic at all, not even the tell-tale signature of the wrapping spell. Blinking, he slowly and with great care began to open the present. He put the plain brown paper to the side, and lifted the top off the box. There was no note to greet him; instead, the most amazing sight he had seen in many a year. He murmured "Minerva, someone must like me a great deal, to get me these in this quantity."

The Head of Gryffindor looked in the box, and was stunned. She was no Potions Mistress, but even she knew how rare and expensive basilisk scales were. The amount in the box was enough for Severus to make and invent enough potions that he could retire and disapeer into some countryside manor and live happily, should he choose. She was not surprised, then, when he closed the box back up, put a shield spell on it, and pocketed it. She was surprised to see the lingering look of wonder on his face.

***

Harry smiled to himself as he saw the look of wonder on his Professor's face. Finishing his fruit cup, he slipped away to return to the common room, not caring to play with the others. He had gotten hurt and picked on too often in snow to want to at Hogwarts. He was content when he curled up by the fire, one of his favorite books in his hands.

Though he was deep in it, he always was aware of his surroundings. Thus, he was not the least surprised when Professor Snape entered the common room and sat down across from him. Putting a bookmark at the place he was currently at, he put the book aside to politely look up at the Potions Master.

***

Severus suppressed a flinch as the familiar emerald looked at him with curiosity. He was always surprised when he saw both eyes look at him, as it was impossible to tell the difference between the two. Shaking his head mentally, he gathered his courage together, knowing that he had to speak soon or look the fool.

"Good morning, Harry." Severus began, having long since dropped the more formal Potter while in private. It helped him to seperate Harry from his forsaken father. The boy nodded in response, a slight smile on his face. It seemed that the child had had a very good morning indeed. Severus continued speaking "For the past several months, a friend of mine has been puzzling out how to get you away from those so called relatives of yours."

Harry grimaced at the mention of the Dursley's before returning to his quieter, more peaceful face. Severus nodded in response to the sentiment. He had yet to meet them, but he was sure he would hate them just as much. His voice, therefore, was unable to hide a pleased note as he said "He finally came to me a couple of days ago with a way that would work easily, but would be best if implemented by New Years."

***

Harry listened as Professor Snape explained the plan. He was surprised at such a short amount of time; who would bother to adopt him within six days? Especially as he didn't know anyone who was looking to blood adopt. Blinking he asked quietly when the Professor stopped to catch a breath "What is blood adoption?"

The Potions Master explained that blood adoption was where an adult adopted a child, not only in name, but in blood as well. It was like the child had three parents. Snape also explained that blood adoption had been invented during one of the plagues when heirs were dying off one by one. The old families wanted their names and bloodline preserved, so they adopted children who had lost their families as well.

Harry nodded in understanding, wondering though what that had to do with him. No one would want him as heir; hell, he figured not even the Potters wanted such a weak wizard as heir. Therefore, what Professor Snape said next thoroughly stunned him.

***

Severus swallowed slightly, his mouth suddenly dry. Honestly, the boy only looked confused and self-depreciating, not disgusted by the idea of being blood adopted! Taking a deep breath, he said in his controlled voice "As I have already met you, and know of your troubles, I was considering of adopting you. That is, if you think you can put up with an old grouch like me?"

He watched the child carefully, his black eyes missing none of the surprise, contemplation, or determination that barely flickered on Harry's face. If Severus had not been the expert spy he was, he likely would have missed all but the last facial expression. It was the determination, though, that sent his heart pounding. This was it, he was going to be rejected now.

***

Harry was stunned at first, that Professor Snape wanted him. He wondered why, at first. Then the absurd thought came through that: perhaps he cared for him. Was it possible, then, that someone could love the unlovable? He looked the man in the eyes, and saw nervousness, but underneath that a flame of sincerity, of care. He made his decision soon after seeing that flame.

Chapter End Notes:
I wanted more, but I really felt like it needed to end there. Sorry folks. Please R&R.