Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's Note: Alas, I have been feeling under the weather for the past week. I meant to have this out earlier, but I really didn't feel like it. But I have to do it soon, or risk getting writer's block. So without further ado.)
An Attack from Behind

Last time:

 

Shaking his head softly, the Potions Master began to speak "I noticed that you knew the second question I had asked. Yet you did not answer. Why?" The boy's head jerked up, eyes glittering with..terror. Why such fear, Potter? Wait...what the? were the thoughts that went through Severus' mind as he stared into those green eyes. Something was not right, he could sense that much. With a sinking feeling, he wondered if he had opened the bag to let the cat out.

Unaware of the confusion he had caused his Professor, Harry said just loud enough to be heard, "I did not answer, sir, because you would not have heard me." After saying this, he let his head drop so that he could look at his hands. It took all his control not to wince in pain, as his speaking had strained his voice. The wound that had nearly cost him his life, had also been bad enough to damage his vocal chords. The doctors had said he'd be lucky if he ever spoke again. Harry reckoned that his magic had had something to do with the fact that he could still talk.

Severus' mind buzzed with questions and thoughts caused by the boy's statement. Pulling himself together, barely, he said "If you have problems speaking, you ought to see Madame Pomfrey. Normally she gives all the First Years check-ups in name order, but if one of the teachers ask her to she can check on a student out of turn when necessary." His onyx eyes gazed calmly at the boy, examining him a bit more closely that time. He watched as Potter squirmed in his seat, and what little he could see of the child's face had drained of color.

Harry nearly panicked when the Potions Master suggested he go to Madame Pomfrey for a check-up. They can't know, but they are sure to find out if I allow this check-up. Think fast, Harry! he thought to himself. Quickly he shook his head, saying "No sir, that won't be necessary. I got over a cold before coming to school, that's all. I'm fine, sir." He hoped the Professor would buy it, but he seriously doubted it. The man looked like one who could spot a lie from a mile away.

Sighing softly, Severus shook his head. He then said "Very well, Potter. You may go. Give this to your next teacher, so you don't lose points." With that he wrote up a explanation slip for the boy, gave it to Potter, and watched as the child left. Getting up from his seat, he headed for his office for a cup of coffee. He had some time before his next class, and he needed to think. After he sat down with the cup, he murmured to himself "Something is not right. I wonder if I should have insisted on bringing the boy to the Hospital Wing. But no, it would seem strange for me to escort him anywhere." Still, the boy didn't act like either James or Lily. Both had been spirited at eleven, and even James would have gone to Pomfrey if he didn't feel well. The child acted more like..."Merlin" breathed Severus "He acts just like I did at that age!"

***

Though Harry was late for his next class, he only got a warning that time. Things went better after that. Most of the classes had them practicing wand movement, which was fine for Harry. He didn't relish having to speak the incantation when they finally reached that point. His favorite subject though, was Herbology. After so many years working in the Dursley's garden, he understood better then most how a plant should be taken care of.

"Well done, Mr. Potter. Five points to Slytherin for knowledge of plants." was what Professor Sprout had said. After that, Harry held his head high until the next class. Draco noticed this, and couldn't help but smile to himself. He hoped to talk to Harry after the last class of the day. Fate, however, intervened that day.

***

Harry was walking down the corridor, trying to find the classroom that Draco had directed him to. However, he had quickly got himself lost, and knew that he would have trouble just finding the way back to the Enterance Hall. Stopping, he tried to remember exactly which directions he had taken to get to that disserted hallway. He soon found out that he shouldn't have stopped, as something tackled him from behind. Something covered his eyes after someone removed his glasses, and he felt himself being picked up. He struggled, but all he got for his efforts was a fist in the ribs.

After a short bit of time, he came in contact with the floor again. Then he heard a voice saying "Good, you got the little snakeling! Did the powder work though I wonder? Take off the blindfold." As the blindfold came off, Harry looked around in fear. Normally when his glasses were off, he could only see blobs of color. Now, though, he couldn't see a thing. A small whimper escaped him, as he hated not knowing what was around him.

"Sorry Snakling, but we can't afford the chance that you'll see our faces. You might be able to tell a teacher if you did." said the voice that had said to take the blindfold off. Harry calmed slightly, for he realized that if there was a chance he would be able to tell a teacher about the attack, that meant they would keep him alive. But it was very small comfort, for he knew that there were worse things then death if you were in the hands of a sick mind.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the shortness, but at least I updated. I left you at a cliffie, sorry about that. But what did you think about the chapter? Did you like Sev's reactions? Please R&R. *hands out another bout of chocolate frogs*.