Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, the tally is in. There are far more votes for then against (with a good range of neutral answers too.) I have decided to keep my technique the same until further notice. It doesn't just help the readers, it helps me as well. So I hope no one is angry about it, but that's the way it is. As only one person asked for the candy, I still have four types left. Unfortunatley my supply of chocolate frogs is spent. So you'll have to ask for some other type of candy. But without further ado, on we go!
Pomfrey's Visit

Last time:

 

Draco and Harry did as they were bid as their Professor threw a pinch of Floo powder in the fire, and stuck his head in calling "Hospital Wing, Hogwarts!" The two boys tuned out the following conversation in favor of looking at each other. Draco's eyes were more searching this time, while Harry's good eye pleaded with his friend to let him get out of this. Harry wished he had bolted when he had the chance. Now it was too late, and his secret was about to be discovered. He wondered if he was going to live to see his twelfth birthday.

Poppy didn't take long to come to the fire. She spoke quietly, despite the fact that there didn't seem to be anyone about "What is it Severus? It's unusual for you to be making a call so early in the school year." The Potions Master huffed gently, slightly annoyed by her pointing out the obvious. He replied in equally quiet tones, "It has come to my attention that we have a bit of a bully problem. One of my First Years was set upon by members from another House. Though he isn't grievously injured, he is uncomfortable, as they were cruel enough to rub salt into any open wound they made."

The Healer's face grew grim, with her eyes flashing dangerously. She said in barely controlled anger "Do you think it would be more convenient for me to come there, or should the boy Floo over here?" Severus blinked briefly, turned as if looking and/or listening over his shoulder, before turning back saying "I believe it would be safest if you were the one Flooing. Not that I don't trust the child to arrive safely to his destination, but I'm concerned that he may get the world scrambled in an attempt to get out of this."

She nodded, and grabbed her jar of Floo powder. Tossing in a handful, she put the jar back up before stepping into the fire. She stated clearly "Severus' Office, Hogwarts, Boomslang." As she span around, she wondered idly why the dour Professor had to have such passwords to his fire-place. Honestly, the man was almost as bad as Albus was with his changing sweets.

When she finally stopped spinning, she had to stop and collect herself when her eyes caught sight of the interior. Two Slytherin Firsties were sitting across from eachother, just staring while Severus watched them from his desk. It wasn't the fact that it was such a silent tableau that threw her, it was who the two snaklings were. The black-haired one was obviously Harry Potter, while the other had to be Draco Malfoy. After all, who besides the Malfoy had that light blonde hair?

Shaking off the surprise that those two seemed to be getting along, she walked over to the Potions Master first. Before she even finished crossing the room to him, his eyes had flickered over, briefly, to the raven-haired child. She glared lightly at Severus, knowing that her intent had been all too clear, most likely by the way she strode. She turned on her heel, and walked over to the children, knowing that she would have to have sharp words with Sev for him using his spy talents on her.

Harry looked up, hearing someone approaching them. His eyes flickered in fear as he saw it was the school Healer. Shifting in his seat, he would have made a dash for it as soon as he could, if it hadn't been for Draco lightly touching his knee. Looking at his new friend questioningly, he was only slightly surprised to see the other boy shake his head. Sighing, Harry calmed himself as best he could. He still felt like running, but knew he wouldn't make it very far.

The interaction between the two didn't go unnoticed by the adults, and Severus had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from smirking. Poppy merely sighed, and continued walking. When she reached them, she conjured a seat and sat down. She began to speak, hoping to put Harry at ease. Her voice was soft, her manner gentle as she questioned the younglings "I hear from Professor Snape that there has been an attack on one of the Slytherin Firsties. Is this true?"

Draco glanced up briefly at the Potions Master, and barely controlled the chuckle that came to his throat. The man was livid, though trying hard not to show it, that Pomfrey should question his honesty. Instead of laughing, Draco decided that nodding would be a better course of action. He didn't wish to find himself in detention on the first day, which was sure to happen if he laughed at the expression on his Professor's face.

Poppy nodded slightly, and asked "Well then, can either of you tell me who was the one attacked?" She knew already, but she would rather hear it from one of the children. She doubted that Harry would say anything, not after giving her that look of fear when she first approached. Something was off there, but until this little bit was settled she would not be able to explore what that fear was all about.

Draco looked cautiously at Harry, his eyes questioning. When the raven-haired boy gave him a slight nod, Draco smiled softly. Speaking only loud enough to just be heard, he said "It was Harry here who was attacked. You'll have to excuse him not answering for himself, but he didn't want anyone to know in the first place." Harry glared at the last, but Draco just shrugged in answer. He had only told the truth, and Harry knew it.

When Madam Pomfrey turned towards Harry, he stiffened briefly. He soon found out that was a very bad idea, as it caused pain to shoot up and down his back. He couldn't prevent his face from showing the agony he was going through, much to his mortification, and his reaction had the Healer on her feet summoning a pain reliever. She handed it to him, saying "Drink, while I cast diagnostic spells." Harry did as he was bid, looking down at his lap once he was through with the potion.

Poppy looked stunned at what the diagnostic spell told her. She went over to Severus, and spoke in a quiet voice "Tell me you noticed something was amiss with the child besides this recent attack." When she received his nod, she sighed in disgust. She murmured "I'll talk to you later Severus." Then in a louder voice she said "I think it would be best if Mr. Potter were to stay the night in the Hospital Wing."

Harry's head shot up, his face blanched white. But the look on the Professor's face told him he didn't much have a choice. Getting up, he nodded quietly and said to Draco "I'll see you later, mate." The silver-haired boy nodded, and watched as Harry went over to the Healer. He couldn't but help to feel some sense of loss as his raven-haired friend disappeared in the Floo along with Madam Pomfrey.

Severus sighed, and rubbed his face quietly. He then got up, and said "Come, Mr. Malfoy, I shall walk you back to the Slytherin House. Then I shall be calling an all-house meeting. Some things will have to change until those who hurt Mr. Potter are captured." As Draco got up and followed, Severus strode into the corridor and out it at a good pace. At that pace, most First Years had to take three steps to his one just to keep up. The speed helped the Potions Master to think though, and get his emotions under control.

Draco, sensing the mood the Professor was in, stayed a bit of a distance from him. His mind was awhirl with questions and thoughts. More then anything he hoped that Harry would be okay. He wondered just why the raven-haired boy had been so reluctant to be examined. Maybe someday he would find out, but before then, he had a meeting to attend.

Chapter End Notes:
Meh, sorry for the very long wait for this chapter. I hope you'll like it. Wow, 80 reviews for just six chapters! This chapter is longer then most, though not as long as one of my chapters has been. Unfortunatly, MtMtE is going to be on Hiatus until the end of the Christmas Break. I might work on Runner in that time, so keep your eye out for it if you would. Please R&R.