Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long wait, but other things have been more pressing. Without further ado, here is chapter eight.
Meetings

Last time:

 

Draco, sensing the mood the Professor was in, stayed a bit of a distance from him. His mind was awhirl with questions and thoughts. More then anything he hoped that Harry would be okay. He wondered just why the raven-haired boy had been so reluctant to be examined. Maybe someday he would find out, but before then, he had a meeting to attend.

Once Severus and Draco had reached the Slytherin House, all the students were called to the common room. When they were all sitting down, the Potions Master began the meeting. His voice was like liquid fire, and it was plainly obvious he was controlling his rage. "One of your Housemates has been attacked by some students from another House. As the victim was one of the First Years, I have some new rules to be put in place until the attackers are found."

The elder students stirred slightly, and some of the sixth and seventh years even looked angry. But before any sound could be made, the Professor continued "First and Second Years shall be escorted to breakfast and from dinner. Also, they should never wander the halls alone. Your best defense is your unity as a House. So travel in groups when going to and from classes. Also, if the NEWT students would please keep an eye out for any strange behavior from your Yearmates, it would help the investigation tremendously. Now, I shall take my leave. Schedules remain the same for all years, so I suggest you don't stay up too late."

With that the dour Potions Master stalked out, closing the entrance portrait quietly behind him. When he was gone, the room erupted into quiet chatter. All were curious as to who the victim was. The younger students were put out that they couldn't explore on their own. Sixth and Seventh year students were muttering angrily that any of their Yearmates, even if they were from another House, would think about attacking a younger student.

All the hullabaloo allowed one Draco Malfoy to slip away and head for bed. He was emotionally exhausted, and felt as if he knew too much. He murmured to himself as he was laying down "Get better soon, Harry." When he finally drifted off to sleep, his dreams were filled with nightmarish scenes of hidden enemies and hateful relatives.

***

Harry watched from his perch on the bed he had been told to sit down on, as the Healer bustled about. Once Madam Pomfrey was done bustling, she came over with bandages and two vials. She handed him the vials, saying "Drink the green first, then the light blue." He did so, shuddering at the taste of the green one. But when he drank the blue one he was pleasantly surprised that it tasted something like what a cloud would taste like. If clouds had flavor that is.

After drinking the potion, he found himself getting sleepy. Madam Pomfrey guided him so that he was laying down on his stomach. His last thoughts before he fell asleep were 'They slipped me some kind of sleeping potion.' Though he would be indignant when he awoke, he would also be glad that he had been allowed to sleep, as Madam Pomfrey patched him up. He also would never know that she was fighting tears at seeing how bad his back was. With the potion in his system, he never even noticed the Healer flooing to the Headmaster's office.

***

Poppy stepped out of the Floo quietly, unsurprised to see Severus there. Taking the seat she was offered, she accepted a cup of tea. She sighed as the two men stared at her, waiting for her to speak. She murmured "That boy as been through too much. Far too much for a child of eleven. And yet, he is not bitter as one might expect him to be." She scrubbed briefly at her face, wondering how much longer this day was going to be.

Severus glared slightly, and said in a very calm voice "If you recall Poppy, I was not bitter at his age either. Scared and distrusting of everyone, but not bitter." His black eyes turned to Albus, who was sucking contentedly on a lemon drop he had just popped into his mouth. Sev's face grew hard briefly as he saw how much the Headmaster's eyes were twinkling.

Poppy grimaced, and murmured "You had your mother, and Lilly, to keep you from turning bitter. If this child has even his Aunt's support, I'd be surprised. I do know the child is fortunate to be alive. Severus, you said you had your suspicions. May I ask what they were? Of course, just to tell you if your suspicions were correct."

Severus nodded, and counted out the few things he was able to observe that day in class. When Poppy gave confirmation, the onyx eyes flashed with barely supressed rage. They grew hard as Poppy spoke "Your observation skills are unmatched, Severus. What you likely didn't know though, was that the child would have died if you'd waited that week to call me. He had open wounds on his back that were getting infected. By a weeks time, the poison would have been too much for Harry's already weak immune system."

Gritting his teeth, Severus said "He can not return to those muggles next summer, Albus! How would he survive?" Albus nodded slightly, and murmured "I'll find some way for the Wards to be transferred. If the boy had living relatives, perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult." Snape sighed quietly, and stalked down to his dungeons when he and Poppy were dismissed. Heading for his liquor cabinet, he poured himself a shot of fire whiskey. Not enough to get drunk on, but to numb his rage. He grumbled to himself "Damn Dursley, the idiotic fool." Had Sev not been so able to control his emotions, Vernon Dursley would soon find something to fear about wizards that made sense.

Chapter End Notes:
I repeat, I am sorry for the delay. My depression has gotten worse recently, and last week I finished doing my GED testing, so I've been preoccupied. I hope this chapter is okay, despite the shortness of it. Please R&R