Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Lucius runs to Dumbledore, Minerva's secret revealed, Sirius awakes...and causes a big fuss.
Chapter 17

Lucius ran. He felt like the wrath of the Almighty God was upon him…or so it seemed. Every second meant that his son was closer to death. How he hated Yaxley! Why, oh why, did he have to do this to him? He ran past the Great Hall, up stairs, down stairs…until he finally reached the Headmaster’s office. Catching his breath, and trying to reassume his dignity, he knocked. “Come in!” he heard. That wasn’t the Headmaster…but he couldn’t quite place the name. Quietly, he opened the door.

The sight that greeted him shocked him. The Headmaster, Professor McGonagall, and…the Minister of Magic?  What was she doing here? What was going on? ‘They’re just old friends having a chat,’ he told himself. ‘There’s nothing going on.’

“Ah, Lucius,” said Dumbledore. “How may I help you today?”

“Good evening, Headmaster, Professor, Madame Minister,” said Lucius, the words running off of his glib tongue. “I do hope I’m not disturbing anything…”

“Nothing of the sort, dear boy,” said Dumbledore. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Professor McGonagall saw through him. She always could…though how, he never knew. “Is everything all right, Lucius?”

“Ah, well that is…” stumbled Lucius, internally cursing himself. Why couldn’t he be more like his father?

“Anything said here will remain here,” said Dumbledore. “And you can be sure the Minister is capable of holding her tongue.”

Lucius blushed. “I didn’t mean to imply that. My apologies, Madame.”

The Minister smiled. “No harm done, young Malfoy. Now, what was so urgent that you came in such a huff?”

A huff? He certainly did not – indignant, he opened his mouth, but closed it when his brain finally caught up. “Professor, it’s about the matter I spoke with you about…but they’ve gone a step further now.”

Anyone could have seen Lucius was a wreck, barely maintaining composure. Quickly, Professor McGonagall was on her feet and settling Lucius on the chair she previously occupied. She transfigured a nearby stool into a comfortable chair, and sat down. She paused, and asked, “Lucius, would you like me to tell them first? You can tell us the news when you are ready.”

At Lucius’s nod, she began. She told Dumbledore everything, including her side of the news. She had already informed the Aurors, and they were already working on Draco’s case. Lucius almost lost his composure there and then. He hadn’t expected her to do it that fast! His father was right: she did have some kind of interest…but what?

The Minister and Dumbledore had been shocked, and had shown their amazement several times throughout the narrative. Finally, after Professor McGonagall had finished, they began talking – all at once. In fact, had the subject not been so serious, Lucius would have laughed.

Dumbledore and the Minister looked at each other sheepishly, inviting the other to speak. Finally, the Headmaster broke the awkward silence. “Lucius, what news do you have?”

Lucius took a deep breath, and began. “About an hour ago, an owl flew in, bearing another missive from Yaxley. I have it here, if you would like to see it.” He dug the letter out of his pocket, and handed it over to Professor McGonagall.

“You should tell us while Minerva is reading it,” said Dumbledore. “Perhaps we can reach a solution in the meanwhile.”

“Very well,” Lucius replied. “They ask the impossible of me. They ask for…Harry Potter in exchange for my son.”

The silence was loud. Dumbledore was incensed and didn’t trust himself to speak, Minerva was thinking of the child sleeping in her rooms, and the Minister was aghast at the Death Eaters’ audacity.

“I know asking for the Boy-Who-Lived is too much…” said Lucius hesitantly. “That’s why I have come to ask for your help in searching for my son.”

“We’ll find a way, Lucius,” said Professor McGonagall softly. “Don’t worry.”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled, probably up to something again.  There was something suspiciously devious about the man, really. “Do you still have the owl with you?”

Lucius thought. He hadn’t dismissed the owl, had he? With relief, he realized he hadn’t. “No, it’s still in my study, I believe.”

“Good, good. Could you please bring me the owl please?” Dumbledore asked. “Millicent, you do have an appointment with the Amelia today, no?”

The Minister looked at the time. “Goodness me, I only have two minutes!” and she rushed through the Floo. Lucius soon followed, eager to get his hands on the darned owl.

------------------------------------------------------

“My dear Minerva, you are too obvious. The way you treated the boy – ” and promptly found a pillow stuffed in his mouth.

“I’m sorry I can’t hide my feelings,” said Minerva angrily. “You know, had Abraxas not taken him –”

Albus cut her off. “It’s over and done with now, Minerva. I’m not trying to begrudge you, but perhaps it is time to let go?”

Minerva crumpled. “How can you ask that of me?”

Albus was surprised, not having thought he’d receive that reaction from her. “What are you talking about, Minnie?”

“How can you ask me to give up – ” she faltered. “How can you ask me to give up my son?”

“Your son?!? I thought you were doing it for Abraxas’s sake!” said Albus, suddenly feeling the urge to sit down.

Minerva softened. “You – you were jealous?”

“God, yes!” Albus said. “You’re my everything, Minerva McGonagall. I thought I was losing you to- to a portrait!”

“Really, Albus? And here I thought you were ignoring me,” said Minerva, a Severus-like smirk on her face.

“Minerva! You know I would never –” he stopped when he saw that the love of his life was teasing. “Why you –”

“Why, what?” asked Minerva shyly.

“This,” said Albus, and pulled her into his arms, where they stayed there for a very, very long time. Finally, they came out of their embrace.

“Do you believe me now?” Albus asked softly.

“Yes, Albus,” answered Minerva, and she went back into his arms, feeling content, safe, and happy…until the Floo burst into life. Embarrassed, they pulled apart.

“Hello?” Remus’s head peered out. “Oh, hello, Professor McGonagall, Headmaster!”

“Hello, Remus,” answered Albus. “What news do you have for us?”

“We’ve found Sirius!” exclaimed Remus. “But we have a slight problem…”

“What problem?” asked Albus, quickly, hearing the sharp intake of breath from Minerva beside him.

“Well, Severus and Sirius are knocked out…” said Remus. “And nothing I do will wake them.”

“That’s odd,” said Albus. “Remus, tell me what happened, please.”

“We found Sirius on the couch of the lounge area in our hideout, and I couldn’t wake him up. So Severus, naturally ever the impatient one, moves to wake him. When he touched him…there was a blinding light. I must have been out for at least thirty minutes, Headmaster. And now, they won’t wake up. I tried yelling, blasting music…nothing worked,” said Remus dejectedly.

“Now, that is a problem,” said Albus. “I’m coming. Stay where you are.”

“All right, Headmaster,” answered Remus.

As Albus made his way to enter the Floo network, he noticed Minerva following him. “No, Minnie, you must stay here,” he said.

“Why, Albus?” she asked. “You might need me the –”

Albus placed a finger on her lips. “I know I will need you…but there is someone else who needs you far more than I will. Whether you tell him is up to you, but for now, care for him.”

He pulled her into his arms again, and lightly kissed the top of her head. “I’ll be back, Minnie, as quickly as you can say ‘purple monkey dishwashers’!”

He quickly left, leaving Minerva to wonder, “What in Merlin’s name are dishwashers?”

-----------------------------------------------------

 Harry woke up from his wonderful nap. He had dreamt about flying on magic carpets with his Dada, and making huge watercolours on the walls. He exhaled with excitement. Maybe Dada would come back soon and help him draw a picture! Or no, better yet, he could draw a picture for Dada, and Aun’ Minnie. Good thing she left him with parchment and colouring crayons.

He jumped off the bed, and ran over to the table, reaching for all the utensils he would use. When he was satisfied, he sat down and began drawing Hogwarts, with clouds and a big sun in the back, and Severus and Harry in the foreground. Surprisingly talented for a child of four, he had managed to sketch out a more-or-less lifelike version of Hogwarts. Severus he had more trouble with. How do you draw a man’s robes billowing? Harry thought about it again, really hard, and voila! The robes and the clouds were moving. He hoped Dada would like it.

For Minerva’s he drew her rooms (which her a lot easier, since they were right in front of him), with Minerva sitting at her desk looking fondly at a smiling Harry playing with Twiggy. The fireplace he drew cackled in the background, flickering, courtesy of his newfound skills. When he was done, he carefully placed his name at the bottom of both the pictures, and at the back, addressed them to the appropriate recipient.

Suddenly, Harry was feeling tired again (probably from using too much magic), and he crawled back in bed, clutching Twiggy. Within minutes, he was fast asleep, dreaming of the pleasant future.

“Harry, Harry!”

“Mommy?” asked Harry. “Where are you?”

“I’m right here, darling,” said Lily. “Now listen, Harry. You have to remember this, all right?”

“Yes, Mommy,” replied Harry, whose babyish language was gone, probably because it was just a dream. “Mommy, will it be scary?”

“No, darling. You will be very happy, I think.” Lily smiled, and then continued. “Your Uncle Padfoot and your Dad are asleep right now. You need to go tell your Aunt Minnie how to wake them up.”

“Why can’t they wake up themselves?” asked Harry.

“Shush, baby, listen. I don’t have much time left. You have to tell them to take the key and have them hold it – together. It will only work then, okay? Can you remember that, darling?” asked Lily.

“Yes, Mommy,” said Harry. “You know I love you, right, Mommy?”

Lily’s eyes filled with tears. “Yes, baby, I know. I love you too.”

She glanced around, as if hearing something afar. “I have to go now, baby. I love you…”

“I love you too, Mommy!” said Harry.

“Harry? Harry?”

“Mommy? Wha’chu doin’, Mommy?” asked Harry sleepily.

“It’s your Aunt Minnie, Harry. It’s time for dinner, dear,” said Minerva.  “C’mon dear, wake up.”

“Aun’ Minnie? I got somesing ta tell yu!” said Harry, immediately wide awake. “Abou’ Un’le Pa'foo and Dada.”

Minerva was alert. How did the child know about Sirius? “What is it, Harry?”

“Mommy say that Un’le Pa'foo and Dada haft a hol’ key togetha in hand ta wakes up,” said Harry.

Minerva was shocked. Lily talked to Harry? How? But she knew the matter in hand was more urgent. She ran to her fireplace, called for Albus, and relayed the news to him. Within minutes, the two of them were awake. What a miracle!

----------------------------------------------------------

Albus and Remus were at their wits’ ends. No matter what they did, they couldn’t wake them up. No spell, no charm, no force could wake them. They were like the living dead.  Remus was slouched on the other couch, and Albus was exploring the boys’ hideout. The Marauders were quite ingenious, really. How could boys at the age of 15 make this? They had probably made adjustments over the years, but Albus could still see the basic framework.

He smiled over at “his boys.” They were all outcasts in some sense: Sirius the outcast of a Dark family, and Remus and Severus, outcasts of society. And Albus had taken them in, adopted them, really. He had been so terribly heartbroken when Severus and Sirius were intent upon killing each other. Remus…he was proud of, always mediating between the two.

Suddenly, Minerva’s head popped out of the fireplace, startling him. “Albus! Albus! I’ve got instructions for you!”

“Instructions, Minerva? From whom?”

“Lily,” she answered. “Relayed to little Harry, of course.”

Albus smiled. “So tell me.”

Minerva told him all that Harry had told her, and soon both Albus’s wayward boys were awake. Of course, they weren’t very happy when they found out they were holding each other’s hand…(probably the understatement of the year, actually).

“Eugh!” cried Sirius. “Why I am holding Snivellus’s hand?!”

“The sentiment goes both ways,” snarled Severus, and forcefully extracted his hand from the shocked Black. “Now, if you excuse me, I have a child to tend to.”

He walked off, leaving Sirius bewildered. “Child? Snivellus?!?”

----------------------------------------------------------

Remus and Sirius finally met Harry after three long, agonizing years. They were delighted to know that Harry still remembered them, and their nicknames. Severus and Minerva, on the other hand, were awe-struck at the quality of the drawings Harry had given them. Not only did he have talent in art, but he was quite talented in magic too! Severus couldn’t help but feel proud. His Harry was going to be a powerful wizard.

Dumbledore entered the room, and the table quieted expectantly. “Sirius, in Lily’s letter, she stated that you knew how to access her vault?”

Sirius blanked. What? Really? “Uhhh…”

“Oh dear,” Albus sighed. “Are you sure?”

“Let me think,” muttered Sirius irritably, and promptly was cuffed in the ear by Minerva. “Oww! What was that for?”

“You’re even more of a child than little Harry here,” said Minerva primly. “Now watch your mouth.”

“How can I watch my mouth when it’s on my face?” asked Sirius innocently.

“Would you like to have your mouth taken off your face?” asked Minerva sweetly.

“Uhhh, no, it’s all right,” said Sirius, and began shovelling food into his mouth. Then, it was as if a light bulb went off in his head.

“Oh, Headmaster?” Food spewed out of his mouth. “Whoops.” He cleaned it up, and continued. “Sni-Severus, Harry, and I are to go to the vault on a Wednesday in the month of August. Any Wednesday, Lily said. She said if we went on any other day, all we’d see is junk. There’s also some kind of pass code, but that we’d know it right away when we got there.”

Albus nodded. He’d expected something like that from Lily. What a devious mind, indeed! She could easily have been Slytherin…and Severus wouldn’t have been so alone during his Hogwarts years. He turned his attention back to the table, where he realized everyone was staring at him. He coughed. “Tomorrow is Wednesday, is it not? We should probably get a good night’s sleep tonight. Remus and Sirius, you may take the guest rooms on the fifth floor. Minerva, could I speak to you privately later on?”

“Why, of course, Albus,” she graciously replied. “I’ll be there around eight, is that all right?”

“Perfect,” he replied. Everyone else around them was trying to stifle their laughter. After all, they had tried to put the two together…and now they had managed to do so, all on their own. Harry, extremely tired after his long day, yawned. Severus noticed, and quickly said his goodnight’s, promised he’d meet them at Gringotts’ tomorrow at nine, and left, eager to place his sleepy charge in bed.

--------------------------------------------------------

“Harry?”

“Yesh, Dada?” Harry mumbled.

“Good night,” said Severus, kissing the top of his head, and made sure the blankets wrapped him securely. He didn’t want the boy to catch a cold. As he turned to leave, he heard Harry’s voice. “What did you say, Harry?”

“I luf you, Dada,” he said.

After a pause, Severus replied, “I love you too, Harry. I love you.”

-----------------------------------------------------

“Why did you give Harry to Snivellus?!?” demanded Sirius. “He-he’s a Death Eater, for God’s sake. Why didn’t someone else take him?!?”

“Harry adores Severus,” stated Minerva firmly. “And Severus loves him back. Why must you insist on ruining the poor man’s only chance at happiness? And why tear apart a family?”

“A family?” scoffed Sirius. “Like Snape even knows the meaning of family.

“I’m not so sure you know, either,” said Albus, quietly. “I love all three of you like my own, yet you insist upon shattering what peace we have, Sirius. I’m sorry you spent so many years in Azkaban; but that doesn’t give you the excuse to rail and deface the name of Severus.”

Remus added, “You shouldn’t call him Snivellus either. His name is Severus.

“Why is everyone on the greasy git’s side? And I thought the outside would be so much better than Azkaban. Well, at least now I know better.” He stormed off in a huff, slamming the door when he reached the end of the Great Hall.

Remus stood up, and excused himself from the table. “I’m going to follow Sirius…you know how he gets when he’s like this. I’ll make sure he won’t hurt himself.” He left with a sheepish look, only peering once at the faces of Albus and Minerva.

“Well, that ended, rather…well…” said Albus.

“Don’t worry, Albus, they’ll sort themselves out,” replied Minerva. “But for now, we have all the time in the world together. What would you like to do tonight?”

“Gaze upon your beautiful face,” said Albus. “But we could talk a bit – ”

“Oh, good, because I don’t feel at all narcissistic tonight,” replied Minerva. They spent the rest of the evening cuddling on a nearby couch, in front of the fireplace.

 

Chapter End Notes:
I’m procrastinating, in case you were wondering why another chapter is up. Another reason is…I kinda dislodged my kneecap, so I’m too lazy to walk to my schoolbag to get my homework and textbooks. (:

As per usual, I have neglected to do a grammar/spell-check…this time because I realized I should actually study for my Geography test tomorrow. I hate school.

Please don’t forget to review! I love your reviews, and I’ll get to answering them…eventually.