Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The group goes a-huntin', and this story is a WRAP, folks!
Chapter 20

Or not so wonderful, according to Minerva. It was just one of those strange coincidences, but she felt rather overwhelmed on this particular day. First, the confirmation of Sirius Black's innocence (she knew it all along, but it felt odd to be justified in her opinion after so much dissent), Severus and Harry's relationship, and then, to top it off Lucius Malfoy waiting for the two of them outside Albus's office. Normally, that would have been all right, but really, she rather thought it was an appropriate response when she almost fainted - Lucius had told her that Abraxas had asked him to relay the message that it was time. Of course she knew what that meant. 

She shuddered. It was rather unfortunate timing, or an act of Fate - to reveal parentage of two people (who were both important to her, by the way) on the same day? Finally, she responded quietly, "Thank you, Lucius." 

Lucius, of course, had felt out of sorts. After all, he had made one of his Professors almost collapse. He felt guilty, but he didn't know what about. "Err...you're welcome." 

He turned to Albus. "Headmaster, you have news?" 

"Oh, yes, my dear boy," said Albus, his eyes twinkling. "But we should wait for the arrival of Madam Bones and the Minister first." 

Dear boy? Since when had he been called that? Granted, he had never really talked to the Headmaster. But not even his father called him that! Blushing, he answered quickly, "Of course." 

Albus ignored the glare Minerva sent at him. He really couldn't help it. "They will also be bringing several Aurors, as I presume you would like to get your son as quickly as possible?" 

"Yes, thank you, Headmaster," Lucius said gratefully, then tried to make small talk. "I was just wondering, Professor McGonagall -" 

At that precise moment, the Floo roared to life, and out stepped the party the three of them had waited for. Albus coughed. "Ah, you were saying, Lucius?" 

"Oh, never mind," he replied, much to the relief of Minerva. Had Severus been there, he would have commented on Gryffindors' ability to wear their hearts on their sleeves. Fortunately, Lucius was too consumed with the fate of his son to notice. 

"Now that everyone is here," said Albus. "We may begin -" 

A cough in the doorway interrupted him. Albus raised an eyebrow. "Yes, Severus?" 

"I would like to assist as well," Severus said determinedly. "After all, Draco is my godson." 

"H-How did you know?" stammered Lucius. "Only the people here were supposed to know..." 

"Lucius," said Severus, raising his eyebrow. "I was the one they asked to determine Draco's location. After all, he and I are linked - the amulet I gave him for his last birthday? I was able to trace that signal." 

"Severus, you should be spending time with your s-, err, Harry," said Albus. "There's no need to do this." 

"No, Headmaster," he nodded, indicating his respect for the elder wizard. "Harry is safe with his godfathers. I have a personal interest in the matter." 

"If he wants to, let him, Albus!" said Minerva vehemently. "We need all the help we can get, and you know Severus is an expert dueller." 

"Well, with all this opposition," replied Albus with a chuckle, "It's hard not to say ‘yes'." 

Meanwhile Madam Bones, the Minister of Magic, and the Aurors looked at them in shock, and they all wanted to ask questions. Unfortunately for them, Albus took up his spiel as soon as Severus had sat down. "Draco is in Monte Carlo, Monaco." 

Lucius paled. "But we have no jurisdiction there! We don't even have an embassy there! The government there is almost non-existent!" 

"Lucius." Minerva placed her hand over his. "Let Albus explain first." 

She continued to hold his hand as Albus talked. "Madam Bagnold has already spoken with the Minister of Magic Pierre Levesque has already acquiesced, and is allowing us entry, as apparently they have been dealing with the same problem these last few years. I have also acquired several International Portkeys, so we can leave as soon as we are finished briefing. Alastor, what can you tell us about these men?" 

Auror Moody coughed, and his magical eye surveyed all those present. "Yaxley and Dolohov are the main conspirators. However, they do have several underlings, as we saw earlier." He nodded towards Severus. "Most of them are Death Eaters, and we are glad Severus is here with his expertise. We know that Parkinson joined them, as well as Nott, Crabbe, Goyle, Avery, Rowle, the Carrows, and Mulciber. This will make things easier, as we have been looking for them for a long time. They are currently staying at a Muggle resort, so it is imperative that we dress appropriately." 

Kingsley tugged at Moody's sleeve. "Sir, may I add something?" 

"You may," said Moody. "Be quick about it. We don't have time to spare." 

"Courtesy of Professor Snape, we will also be taking Polyjuice, to disguise our appearances," said Kingsley. "Madam Bones and Madam Minister will be staying behind, of course, to monitor our progress. Kingsley and I will be leading the operation, as we are both familiar with Monaco ever since - " 

A quick nudge on Moody's part quickly silenced him. "Er-hem," Moody blushed. "Are we ready to go?" 

Albus smiled. "Just like you to go partying, old friend?" 

"As if," came the reply. "Kingsley, pass out the potion."

 They all quickly transformed and Transfigured their clothes. Soon, all of them were ready. "Be sure to keep in contact, Alastor," chided Madam Bones. "Don't forget - "

She was cut off when the group was abruptly Portkeyed out. "I hate it when she nags," said Moody grumpily. "Now, the plan is to lure them all out - on second thought, we'll just wait until nightfall. That way, we can just grab them out of their rooms." 

"What about Draco?" asked Lucius and Minerva at the same time, showing identical looks of horror. Minerva turned a bright shade of red, and looked away, glaring at Albus all the while, who was chuckling.

"Minerva, you and I are responsible for Draco," said Albus. "As I am sure, Lucius, you and Severus will want to ensure the capture of these heinous criminals." 

"Damn right I do," mumbled Severus. "After what they did to Harry..." 

"Sorry, I didn't catch that," said Kingsley. "What did you say?" 

Severus looked up and glared. "Nothing." 

Kingsley visibly retracted. "Sorry about that. Didn't mean to pry." 

Severus nodded, then walked off with Lucius, Moody, and several other Aurors to discuss their strategy. 

"I guess I'm with you then," said Kingsley ruefully. "But what's got him in such a tit?" 

"He's very eager for revenge," said Albus dryly. "Now, Kingsley, why don't you go with Moody? Minerva and I will be fine." 

"Are you sure?" asked Kingsley. "Okay, then, our rendezvous point will be here then. We should meet back every hour just in case." 

"Very good thinking," praised Albus. 

"If only you had paid this much attention in Transfiguration, young man," added Minerva. 

Kingsley had the good graces to blush. "Well, I'm off then. See you in an hour." 

As soon as he was out of sight, Albus turned to Minerva. "Remember that one conference they had here, Minnie?" 

"Oh, yes, Albus," she said. "How could I forget? You taught me how to swim here." 

"Yes, indeed..." said Albus, then continued almost wistfully. "It's been such a long time since we've had peace, hasn't it, Minerva? When we have time again...would you like to come back?" 

"We'll see," said Minerva. "Right now, we should be focused on finding Draco, Albus. As much as I love you, I'd very much like to see ou- my grandson intact." 

Albus smiled. So she had claimed him too, had she? "Well, that shouldn't be hard. After all, we have the magical signature of the amulet." 

He gazed down at the pseudo-map. "According to this, he should be located...right here." 

"But that's not right, Albus," whispered Minerva. "He shouldn't have auburn hair. Near as I can remember, both Lucius and Narcissa have blond hair. Oh!" 

Shocked, her hand flew up to her mouth. She fingered her own dark hair. "Abraxas must have put a charm on Lucius's hair. Shame...I thought Lucius had inherited his father's hair too." 

"Your hair is beautiful," said Albus. "Besides, Narcissa is the only blonde in her family. So that could explain it as well. Though I'm sure the picture of Draco I saw...I'm sure he had blond hair." 

He frowned. "Well, I'm sure this is the child." 

"He is," said Minerva. "I can see bits of my father, Abraxas, and Cygnus in him." 

"Just them?" Albus's eyebrow went up, and his eyes twinkled at her. "Oh, and Druella, Narcissa, and Lucius, I suppose." 

"Are you sure he doesn't resemble anyone else?" His eyes twinkled rapidly. 

"Not at all," replied Minerva. "Do you really think -?" 

"What do you think?" He gently wrapped his arm around her waist. "I see parts of you in him, even if you don't." 

She kissed him lightly. "Well, we can take a closer look when we get him back. Look, that man over there? See?" 

"The man on the chair sleeping?" 

"He's only pretending to be sleeping, Albus. Look. They keep opening and shutting, and he's watching Draco," said Minerva. "We can't use magic here, Albus! And my wandless magic -"

"Say no more, Minnie." Albus performed a wandless, unspoken sleeping spell on the man - from a distance. "Now, what say you to an introduction to your grandson?" 

"Will he want me, Albus?" she asked worriedly.

"Let's not worry about things that haven't happened yet," said Albus gently. "Come, let's introduce ourselves to the child. Perhaps he will be like Harry? In that case, I have plenty of candy in my pockets." 

"Oh, you," said Minerva, and she gently swatted him. "All right, here goes nothing." 

---------------------------------------------------------

"I'm telling you if we do that they'll escape!" huffed Kingsley in frustration for the fifteenth time. Everyone, of course, had ignored him. Fortunately for him, someone finally turned to him. 

"What's wrong with waiting outside their room?" asked one of the rookie Aurors. "They don't have anywhere they can escape to, can they?" 

Severus looked at him, and silently agreed. When it was clear Kingsley was too flustered to speak properly, he spoke coolly. "And pray tell me, are we dealing with Muggles?" 

The rookie blushed. "Err, no sir." 

"Excellent deduction, Mr.-?" inquired Severus, raising his eyebrow.

"Err, Scott," said the rookie, blushing even more profusely. "Neil Scott, sir." 

"Very well, Mr. Scott," said Severus, in full teacher mode now. "So, what would be an appropriate response then?" 

"Seal off the room magically?" ventured another rookie. They were all fully intimidated by him, though he was but several years their senior. Kingsley and Moody wanted to furiously shake them and ask them if they had truly graduated successfully from the Auror Academy. 

"Very good, Miss Young," said Severus. "And how exactly shall we go about it?" 

"Well, we have to make sure they're not in the room first," said Young. "Then we can place anti-Apparition wards up. We probably have to seal off the windows too." 

"Excellent," said Severus. Honestly, what dunderheads. He raised his eyebrows at the group. "Well, what are you waiting for? Go!" 

He turned to Kingsley and Moody. "Excellent group you have here, Shacklebolt, Moody." 

"They're not normally like that, Snape," said Kingsley. "Err...you just intimidated them." I hope. 

"If the fate of the Wizarding World rested on them, I would shudder," said Severus. 

"No, lad," said Moody, uncharacteristically warmly. "You are the future. These children...they'll learn. From the very best of the bunch." 

Severus shook. This was the man who had arrested him and thrown him into Azkaban. He stood in silence for a minute, while everyone looked at him. "Thank you, Moody, though I believe you are overconfident in your choice of a future." 

"Very likely," said Moody gruffly. "You, Kingsley, and Lucius. Merlin forbid!" 

He walked off, chuckling to himself. Kingsley turned to the other two, and asked, "Err, Snape, Malfoy, you think that's really Moody?" 

"I think he's been drinking again," said Severus, in a rare display of humour - in public. "Now, Kingsley, go supervise your group. Lucius and I will join you shortly after doing recon. I'd like to see who's here. Last time I checked, none of them were using Polyjuice, except for Yaxley, so it shouldn't be too hard to find their ugly faces."

"Very well," said Kingsley. "Enjoy yourselves. We'll meet you back at the meeting spot in fifteen minutes?" 

Severus nodded, and then turned to Lucius in alarm. "Lucius, are you all right?" 

He had grown very pale all of a sudden. "Yes, Severus," he waved him away. "I...I just hope this goes well." 

"You're not doubting us, are you?" asked Severus. "You have the support of the most powerful wizard of the century and you're afraid we'll fail?" 

"When you put it that way..." said Lucius, in a weak attempt at humour. He consulted his map, and looked at Severus, determined to forget about his earlier weakness. "Let's go. I think Nott, Crabbe, Goyle, and Avery will be at the casino. Parkinson, Rowle, the Carrows, and Mulciber will probably be at the beach. So where would you like to go first?" 

"Albus and Minerva should be on the beach, and I don't think they necessarily know those four are on the beach," said Severus. "Perhaps we should send them on a merry errand?" 

"Why can't we just subdue them?" He paused, as Severus lifted his eyebrow, as if to say, Are you really as stupid as those Aurors? "Oh. The Muggles." 

"Oh, indeed," said Severus. "We might also have to worry about Yaxley as well. We have no idea where he is. This wretched map can't tell the difference from real and Polyjuice." 

"Well, let's not worry for now," said Lucius. "After all, Yaxley is no match to either of us. And I'm sure the Headmaster and Minerva will already have Draco, by now, at the very least." 

Severus hadn't heard him. He was looking in horror at an ensuing scene on the beach. "Severus, what's wrong?" 

"We have to go now!" said Severus. He ran, and Lucius followed him. At last, he saw what had so terrified his son's godfather. The Carrows, Parkinson, Rowle, and Mulciber were casting hexes at a little boy and two elderly people. The Headmaster and Professor McGonagall, by the looks of it. But who was the child? 

Draco. He lost what semblance of cool he had. "You bastards! Stay away from my son!" 

He blasted them into the water, and ran ahead of Severus. Unfortunately, Yaxley woke up from his sleep, and saw that the Light had arrived. He had his wand out, drawn, until he realized he couldn't face three expert duellers. He had lost his chance at pleasing the Dark Lord. He turned to leave, only to be confronted by Severus. "Going somewhere, Yaxley?" 

Yaxley threw his head back and howled. Before Severus could stop him, he Apparated away.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, the Aurors had subdued Dolohov in his bedroom, having found him fast asleep. He had woken up in a panic, and started casting Unforgivables, or well, attempted to. He didn't realize the stick in his hand wasn't a wand, but was, in reality, every bit of a stick. 

Kingsley yelled, "Stupefy!", and then it was all over. They put him to sleep, resolving not to send anyone back. They needed all the manpower they had at the moment. But that left them in a quandary. If the others, coming back, didn't see Dolohov, would they suspect something? Fortunately, Kingsley had Polyjuice Potion, and he took on Dolohov's form. As for the prisoner, where would they put him? Fortunately, the Monacan Minister of Magic quickly relieved them of that problem, lending them several holding cells. 

When they met up with the others, they found that Lucius had already regained his son, and Severus, Minerva, and Albus had subdued Parkinson, Rowle, Mulciber, and the Carrows. Naturally, Albus had had no trouble casting a mass Obliviate, preventing any trouble. 

Of course, as Kingsley was acting as Dolohov, he stayed behind in the rooms, making sure that they wards were set correctly.  Unfortunately for him, he had no idea what Dolohov was like, having only read his file once, which didn't say anything - other than the fact that he was sensitive about his looks and was extremely stupid. How he had run an international child smuggling ring was beyond Kingsley, but that wasn't important right now. He had no idea what to say to the Death Eaters who had come in, nor did he have any means of communicating with the others. So he pretended to be asleep. 

They felt nothing, and they even tripped the wire that notified Moody of their arrival. Within minutes, they were surrounded in the room. 

"Anton!" said Goyle. "Wake up! Aurors are here!" 

They shook him violently, to no avail. It seemed almost too good to be true when they took it for granted that he was truly asleep. Dolohov must have done it on a regular basis. 

"You are surrounded," Moody's voice, amplified by Sonorus. "Surrender, and we will not hurt you."

"Yeah, send us to Azkaban," muttered Crabbe. Seeing no way out, they all attempted to Apparate, with no care for their "comrade" sleeping on the bed. However, with the anti-Apparition wards in place, they couldn't. They tried the windows, only to find they were charmed shut and unbreakable.

They panicked. Finally, in a desperate attempt to escape, they charged, attacking the Aurors. Their efforts were futile, to say in the least.  The ones in the front were caught by several well-placed Stupefy's on Severus, Moody, and the various Aurors' part; those at the back were stunned by Kingsley. It was over before it even started. 

They only had Yaxley to deal with now. There was no point in waiting for him, since he already knew they were there. So they felt they could make more progress, in terms of building a case against them. 

They sealed off the room, and searched for incriminating evidence. It was evident they weren't extremely bright; within minutes the safe in the room had been cracked and all sales - as well as purchasers and sellers - had been found, courtesy of a document specifying, well, everything, really. They hadn't even bothered to place a charm on it. It was either stupidity to the fullest, or arrogance. Severus didn't really care which; all he wanted to do was to retrieve the one with Harry on it, and make sure Albus got all his money back. However, it was harder than it looked, especially with all the Aurors crowded around. As well, he didn't want it publicized that they had Harry Potter; after all, there would definitely be mayhem. Albus, sensing this, walked over to Severus. 

"Severus," said Albus. "You should relax." 

"How?" asked Severus, almost to the breaking point. Patience was definitely not his strong point, when it came to emotional situations. "You know I need that file!"

"My dear boy," his eyes twinkling madly, "I already have the file."

"Why the hell didn't you tell me that earlier, you - you blasted old man!" stormed Severus. "You worked me into such a state for nothing!"

"Well, at least we know how you feel about Harry now," said Albus. 

"Was there any question?" asked Severus. "You know I love him. Isn't that enough?" 

"Yes," said Albus simply, and then walked away with Minerva. Severus glared at him for a moment, and then turned to Lucius. "Draco's asleep?" 

"Yes," said Lucius, patting gently the head of his child, who was currently slobbering all over his shoulder. "I almost didn't recognize him, you know. How can a father not recognize his own son? Am I bad father, Severus, to lose him and now...not even recognize my own son?"

"Lucius..."Severus was at a lack of words. He wasn't really suited in giving emotional comfort. But, on the other hand, his friend really needed him. "You're not a bad father. Look how far you came to get him back. Think back how afraid you were when you learned he was gone. And not afraid for yourself, but for your son. That...that's the mark of love, Lucius. Any father who loves his son and shows it...well, Lucius, that's the mark of a true father." 

He smiled wistfully. "If only my father had been like that..." 

He shook off that thought, and looked at Lucius. It seemed as if he wanted to ask something, but at that moment, Draco decided to wake up. "Father?" 

"I'm here, Dragon," said Lucius affectionately. "Look, it's Uncle Sev. What do you say?" 

"Hi Uncle Sev," said Draco dutifully, then turned to his father. "Why are you here?" 

Severus's heart almost tore in two. If only Harry had grown up with him...then he'd be like Draco - a wholesome child. It wasn't that he didn't love Harry; he just wanted better for him. Wouldn't any father?

"To rescue you, of course," said Lucius. "Did you ever doubt it?"

"Rescue me from what?" came the puzzled reply. "I was playing hide-and-seek with you, Father. Uncle Theo said we had to hide from you."

Lucius sputtered. "He said you had to hide from me? Why?" 

"A game, Father," said Draco innocently, his eyes gazing into his father's. "Since you don't play with me anymore..." 

Lucius choked, and looked at Severus pointedly. Draco didn't even notice, which was probably for the best, considering what he said next. "...but I'm glad, Father, you found me finally. I was starting to miss you." 

Then he wrapped his little arms around his father's neck, and shyly hung there. Lucius awkwardly pulled his son into a hug, and then kissed him. "Dragon...I missed you too."

-----------------------------------------------------------

When they got back to England, Harry was fast asleep, and so were his godfathers. Muttering to himself about bums taking advantage of his home, Severus went into Harry's room. He looked at him for a long time from the doorway, and marvelled at his and Lily's offspring - his son. Merlin! He had a son! Of course, even if Harry hadn't been his own, he would have kept him, and treasured him. Somehow though, it felt like he was meeting Harry all over again. Severus felt as if there was a magnetic pull pulling him towards the boy, both mentally and physically. He was sure this would pull him and Harry closer together. Reaching down, he brushed the hair out of his son's eyes. He tucked the covers around his son, and kissed him. Leaving, he was just about to close the door when he heard a little voice. "Dada?"

He smiled. "Yes, Harry?" 

"Where you go?" asked a little sleepy voice. "I miss you today." 

"I missed you too, Harry," said Severus, who, by now, had sat down on the bed and placed his arms around his son. "Were you good for your Uncle Padfoot and Moony?" 

"I alway good," said Harry cheekily, sleepily smiling up at him. "I fought...mebbe you no' wan' me no more af'er the bank." 

"Why would you think that?" asked Severus, a little puzzled. 

"Becau'e...you lef' me," said Harry matter-of-factly. "Bu', Dada?" 

"Yes, Harry?" 

"Iffen you didn' luf me, then- then you would no come bac to kiss me," Harry smiled. 

"Of course I love you," said Severus. "Even more because I know you're mine...mine forever." 

"An' eva an' eva an' eva," agreed Harry, who was almost asleep. Severus smiled. 

"Yes, indeed." 

Unnoticed by Severus, there were two shadows by the door, listening in on their conversation. "You see, Padfoot? Severus does love Harry."

"I know," said Sirius. "And I'm glad Harry has someone now. You know, I'm probably better off as the fun uncle, yeah? ‘Cause that disciplining stuff? I don't think I could do it." 

"Me too," said Remus, after a pause. "But I'm sure when you're a parent, you'll understand...and you'll learn." 

He peered into the room, smiling at the scene in front of him: Severus lying in the bed with Harry half-sleeping on him. "Come, we should go back into our own rooms. Let's leave those two alone for tonight." 

Sirius gently closed the door, and the two of them left Severus's quarters.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lucius, Draco, Albus, and Minerva arrived safely in the Headmaster's office. Lucius looked at them a moment, as if wondering what to say. Finally, he settled with, "Thank you, Headmaster, Professor." He turned to leave, when Minerva cried out, "No, wait, Lucius...there's something I must tell you." 

He paused, and turned, only to see Minerva ashen and grey. "Are you all right, Professor?" 

"She'll be all right," said Albus. "Why don't you set Draco on the sofa over there, and come over her to talk?"

Something was very odd. He tentatively set Draco down, and followed Albus into an adjacent room where tea and biscuits were already waiting for them. Minerva had already seated herself. She sat on a comfortable chair, though had you not seen the chair, you would have thought that she was sitting on a hard, cold one. As it was, she was rigid and pale.

Lucius looked at her, and whispered to Albus. "Are you sure she's all right?" 

"Yes," said Albus. "But she has something very important to tell you, and the more you delay, the more nervous she will be." 

Lucius seated himself across from her, and Albus joined her side, gripping her hand. Minerva looked up at him. "Lucius...I have a confession to make." 

He sat at the edge of his seat. What in Merlin's name was she talking about? 

"Before I start, though, I need to know that you won't be overly angry with me." Minerva closed her eyes, as if in pain. 

"I owe you my son, Professor," said Lucius earnestly. "I can't possibly be that angry...not to someone who risked their life to reunite me with my son." 

"Very well," said Minerva, opening your eyes. "Lucius...there's really no other way of saying this." 

She began to laugh, almost hysterically. Albus gripped her hand, and wrapped his arm around her. She continued. "I'm...I'm your mother." 

"You're having me on, aren't you?" he asked, after his initial shock. "My mother was Alessa Malfoy, nee Lestrange. Y-you can't be my mother. We don't even look alike!" 

"It's true, you were born with blond hair," she said sadly. "But as you grew...it turned almost auburn, like your son's. Abraxas...charmed your hair blond so no one would have any suspicions." 

"So...all right, let's say you're right. Undo the charm then," he said confidently. "Show me I have auburn hair." 

Minerva clenched her eyes shut. "Ostendo sum plurimus specialis meus filius, Reveleo!" 

Lucius looked at his hair. It wasn't auburn, but it was no longer pale blond. No, he had deep brown hair. "Y-you're my mother?" 

"I'm afraid so," said Minerva. 

"But...why did you hide it from me?" asked Lucius, confused. "You didn't want me? So why all the subterfuge?" 

"I wanted you, believe me, Lucius," said Minerva. "I would have done anything to keep you. But...had my family known about you, they would have disinherited me, and your father's family to him as well."

She closed her eyes. "My family wasn't good enough for the Malfoys. Abraxas and I...we tried everything. He rejected almost all the eligible girls in our age group, and by the time I had you, I was the only one left. His family refused me, instead passing favour upon your mother -" 

"Step-mother," interrupted Lucius firmly. "But please, continue." 

Minerva relaxed. "Your father's family threatened to cut him off from the family fortune if he didn't marry her. So...we Obliviated everyone who knew, and she thought she had bore you herself. Abraxas renamed you Lucius Abraxas Malfoy, and that was the end of the matter." 

"Wait. Renamed?" asked Lucius. "What was the name I had before?" 

Minerva smiled. "Luke Alastair Malfoy. Alastair after my father, who died not long before your birth." 

Lucius put his head in his hands. "Is that why...Draco looks the way he does now?" 

"Yes," said Minerva. "I know this is a huge shock for you -" 

Lucius looked up at her. "Do you still love me? Even after what I've done as a Death Eater?" 

"Love knows no bounds, Luke," said Minerva firmly. "A mother will never turn her back on her son...and I can see that you regret your past." 

"My mother - no, step-mother - made me join," said Lucius in a dazed voice. "If you had been my mother..." 

"There's no what ifs now," said Minerva firmly. "But we can start over in the present. Would...would that be all right with you?"

Lucius looked dazed. "I-I would like to...but I need to think about it first. I'm sorry, Professor, Headmaster, but I really must be taking my leave. Narcissa will want to see Draco." 

"It's all right, Lucius," said Albus. "Will we see you sometime soon?" 

"I-I don't know," said Lucius. "I-I hope so." 

With that, he left the room, and within seconds, they heard the Floo roar to life. "M-Malfoy Manor!" 

Minerva looked downcast, but happy at the same time. Regardless, tears fell down her face. "Minnie, whatever are you crying about?" 

"I wanted him to accept me so badly, Al," said Minerva. "And now, he has, but hasn't? I'm so confused!" 

She buried her face into Albus's waiting arms. "There there," he patted her back. "I thought it was perfectly fine, love. I'm very proud of you." 

"But what if he never comes back?" asked Minerva. "I've only just been reunited with him..." 

"He will," replied Albus. "He was only a tad confused, that's all. He has a good head on his shoulders. He has, to quote, ‘grown a spine' as of late, wouldn't you agree?" 

Minerva blushed. "Yes, I think so. He is so different from his father in so much...but in all other aspects, he is truly his father's son." 

"His mother's son, as well, I would hope," said Albus. "But come, Minerva, let's take a walk." 

"Isn't it dark out?" asked Minerva. "It's pretty late already..." 

"Ah, therein lies the secret," came Albus's cryptic reply. He walked out of his office, and down the stairs, where he paced three times in front of an empty wall. 

"Albus, what are you doing?" asked Minerva, confused. Had he finally gone off his rocker? He couldn't have, since he was considerably younger than before. She was about to ask again when a door popped out of nowhere. "Oh my!" 

"This, Minerva, is the Room of Requirement," said Albus, bowing gallantly. "Shall we?" 

She entered. "This isn't a room, Albus..." 

"It's a room that provides your innermost desire," said Albus. "If you suddenly had an urge to use the loo, then this room would be fitted with chamber pots. But I digress. I take it you like this scenery?" 

In front of her were a lake, a small beach, and small woods off to the side. "Albus...this is where you told me...you were...interested in me, isn't it?" 

"Yes," he said simply, his eyes twinkling. "Shall we go down to the beach?" 

The sun was setting in the distance, and the scenery was breathtaking. The colours in the water fused and mixed, like a painter's palette in disarray. As they walked down, she saw that there was a picnic basket, a blanket laid out, and a single candle in the middle of the blanket. "Oh, Albus." 

"We haven't eaten yet, so I thought this might be a good opportunity," said Albus. "Come, sit down." 

They ate and talked, and funnily enough, the sun never fully set, choosing instead to linger in the sky. When they had enough, they sat there, enjoying each other's companionship. She was so tempted to ask him, but it would be unseemly and rude. So she kept quiet. 

"Minerva?" his voice broke the silence. 

"Yes, Albus?" she absentmindedly said, lost in her own thoughts. When he said nothing further, she turned and looked at him. "Wha-?" 

"Hush, love," said Albus. "Minerva McGonagall, you are the love of life. I love the way you are with my children, and I love the way your temper flares. I love the kindness and patience you have even when you're tired, and I love the way you make life so much brighter." He took in a deep breath. "I love the way you tell me that no matter how angry I make you, you'll still love me. And...I'm nothing without you, Minnie." 

He took out a box from his robes, and Minerva gasped, the beginnings of a word formed in her mouth before she looked at him in astonishment. Albus took out the ring, and held it up to her. "Minerva McGonagall,  the love of my life, will you marry me?" 

"Yes," she whispered, the word finally coming out. Then she cried out, "Yes, Albus, a thousand times yes!"

He placed the ring on her finger, and pulled her into an embrace. They kissed long and passionately, in the way a couple half their age would. When they finally pulled apart, they gazed deeply into each other's eyes. They sat there for a long while.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Harry woke up with a start a 9:05 am, to be precise. "Dada!" 

"Hmmm...?" asked Severus. "Oh, you're up, Harry." 

"Dada?" 

"Yes, Harry?" 

"Can I haf ice cweam?" 

"This early in the morning? Of course not, Aerick James Severus Snape!" 

"Pwease?" 

"No, Harry." 

"Pwetty pwease?" 

"No." 

"I have ice cream," said a familiar voice. 

"Black!!!!" 

"Un'le Pa'foo'!" 

There was a gasp of delighted surprise, and then a yell. "Choc'la' ice cweam!" 

Severus groaned. "Oh, Merlin." 

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Hello everyone!

Thanks for taking this ride with me, it's been incredible. Special thanks goes out to attyfan, who deserves the credit for helping me make the storyline wacky and unpredictable.Thanks also to those who reviewed; your reviews really motivated me to write. So keep 'em coming! I promise I'll answer them next fic. (:

I wrote a few thousand words more than I usually do, but I think you guys deserve it (plus, I have an odd superstition about even numbers...) The sequel (tentatively titled Mending Bones) will be up as soon as I get it all sorted in my head. =)

In the meantime, check out my other fic, To Unmask the Sunrise.

Thanks again! Your support means a lot to me!

Catch you later,
~shige

P.S. I didn't check grammar/spelling. You know what that means! hah.