Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus and Harry finally meet...for real! What will happen to them?
Chapter 8

Severus threw up a shield, sheltering himself and Harry effectively. The Dursleys weren’t so lucky, caught in the crossfire. Goyle and Nott rapidly fired spells, not caring whether or not the attacker was on their side.

“What are you waiting for, Severus?” hissed a voice, vaguely familiar. “Run!”

Severus jolted out of his daydream, and quickly grabbed onto Harry, and grasped the portkey. When Nott and Goyle looked around, the two of them were long gone – having made their way to Hogwarts.

The unknown attacker, seeing that they were safe, disapparated away – and Moody and Shacklebolt finished the job, collaring the two Death Eaters and the Dursleys. They now had enough evidence that the Dursleys were in no way fit parents – and they would make sure that no child would ever go near them again.

Dudley was given to his Aunt Marge; the Dursleys went to prison. The Death Eaters were very, very close to getting the Dementor’s Kiss, but Lucius Malfoy came to the rescue. Instead, they were given life sentences in Azkaban, seeing as they were only pawns, and not the instigators of the matter.

But not all was well in the happy castles of Hogwarts. No indeed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Severus and Harry arrived at Hogwarts safe and sound. What wasn’t so good was the fact that Harry, for some odd reason or another, had had a bout of accidental magic. A very serious bout, actually. His magic had deemed to turn Harry invisible. A scared child (who thought he was in danger) and invisibility did not mix well at all. In fact, as soon as Harry was on the ground, he shot off around the corner, leaving Severus very bewildered and confused. He thought he had grabbed the boy; where on earth did he go?

He sighed. What a colossal failure he was! Where was the calm exterior he exuded in stress? Had he lost his sanity when Lily’s letter had arrived? He drank the counter potion to his Polyjuice. How comfortable he felt in his own skin. He sighed, then decided to make his way to Dumbledore’s office, not at all eager to discuss his failure with the old man. But as he was about to open the door, the Bloody Baron floated up to him.

“Professor Snape, may I have a word?” asked the Bloody Baron.

Severus nodded. What did the ghost want to do with him? There weren’t any children in Hogwarts right now.

“Several suits of armour have been knocked over on the second floor, and we cannot find the cause. Peeves swore it wasn’t him, and the house elves do not know either,” said the Bloody Baron. “Could you perhaps investigate for us?”

“That’s odd. If we were in September I would blame the children. But there aren’t any children…Harry,” he breathed. “Thank you, Baron. I will look into it right away.”

He called up a map of  Hogwarts, locating the suits of armour the Baron had mentioned. He ran all the way down, no longer caring whether or not his walk was refined, causing Sybil Trelawney to walk into a wall in shock. What if Harry went to the dungeons? Then he’d be in trouble. The child probably didn’t know how to swim!

Luckily for him, he could now hear the crashes. As he neared the site, he saw a helmet seemingly floating. Harry.

“Harry?” whispered Severus. “Look at me, child.”

“Who you?” Severus could barely hear his words through his sobs.

“I’m Severus…your mother’s friend,” said Severus, mentally hitting himself for not having introduced himself earlier.

“Mommy?” said Harry brightly, and slowly faded into existence. “You Mommy’s friend?”

Something in Severus melted. “Yes, Harry. Would you like to come with me?”

“Me want home,” said Harry. “You bwing home?”

“I’ll bring you home, Harry. Now, boy, would you like to walk or do you want me to carry you?” asked Severus, almost affectionately now.

“Me want wide!” exclaimed Harry. No one had ever asked him if he wanted a ride.

All right, Harry, up we go!” said Severus. How he wished this was his child!

Wheeeee!” screamed Harry.

“Shhh, child, not so loud. You’re hurting my ears,” said Severus lightly.

Apparently, Harry didn’t catch the tone in his voice. “Pwease don’ hit me!” he screamed, and tried to wrench his way off of Severus.

“Harry!” exclaimed Severus, and sent the child into a further frenzy. He continued in a calmer voice, “Harry, I will never ever hit you. Listen to me. You are safe here.”

Severus rubbed his back, until Harry’s screams died into sobs, and gradually into sniffles. There was a huge wet spot on Severus’s shoulder, but he didn’t even notice. Slowly, they made their way to Dumbledore’s office.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dumbledore’s plan was falling into place. It was most beneficial that Harry had had that reaction; now, Severus would probably have fallen in love with the child…and hopefully, would take him in. After all, the Severus’s new house was for that sole purpose: so that he could raise Harry. Not that he’d ever tell Severus. No, rather let Severus think it was his own idea. That would be best.

Ever since he had received that letter from Remus, this plan had been placed into motion. A knock at the door interrupted his musings. Ah, that must be Severus now.

“Come in,” said Dumbledore.

“I’ve found our wayward hero, Headmaster,” said Severus. The boy was asleep, suckling on his thumb, and resting on Severus’s shoulder.  Yes, all was turning well.

“So Severus…I suppose we need to discuss who this child’s guardian should be,” said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling full-force. “The Weasleys have volunteered, as have the Malfoys, and so has Remus…but you and I both know these candidates are inappropriate. As the Wizengamot has chosen me to make the ultimate decision,” here, he shrugged. “I know I could do it, as could Minerva, but we’d spoil the child horribly.”

And well Severus knew it. He knew Dumbledore was asking him indirectly, and he followed along…for once. “Headmaster, I am not an appropriate candidate either, well you know. Yes, though I owe Lily a debt…but how can I raise a child when I myself have not had a good childhood?”

“Don’t belittle yourself, Severus. I think you would make a wonderful father,” replied Dumbledore.

“No, it’d be better for me to look after him afar rather than for me to be his sole guardian. Ask Lupin,” said Severus vehemently.

But Dumbledore was saved from replying. Harry, with wonderful timing, cried, “Daddy!"

“See, even the child agrees with me,” said Dumbledore blithely.

“He is dreaming of his real father, Headmaster,” said Severus, gritting his teeth.

In response, Harry started tugging on Severus’s robe. “You my da-da?”

Severus had lost, both his resolve to stifle Dumbledore’s pushing, and his resolve to keep the child away as far as possible.

Sighing, he answered, “Yes, Harry?”

Dumbledore smiled triumphantly. Now only one thing left to do…

Chapter End Notes:
REVIEWS = CHOCOLATE.
CHOCOLATE = MY ADDICTION (: