Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Thanks a lot to my beta-reader,Duchess_Of_Arcadia , for correcting my mistakes.

Disclaimer: All recognizable characters belong to J.K. Rowling, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.

I'm not a native speaker of English!

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dear readers,

This story is already finished and has 4 chapters!

It is the sequel to “A better childhood”. You should really read that story before you read this one. Otherwise I will give you a short introduction:

It's five month after “A better childhood”. Harry is living with Alastor and Poppy. He suffers because of his wounds from the final battle with Voldemort. Especially his leg is bothering him a lot. Severus has been de-aged in “A better childhood” and now lives with Albus and Minerva.

There will come another sequel which will start earlier than this story. It will show the reactions of Severus when the students come back and his growing up, but I had to add this story before because it is a birthday present to my dear online friend Amandine. I hope you like it, too. Sunny

Chapter 1 – Five months later
"What do you want for your birthday, Uncle Al?" Severus asked while climbing on Alastor's lap.

"Everything I want is a kind and well-behaved little Severus," Alastor said and positioned the five-year-old boy in a more comfortable position on his lap.

"Uncle Al, that's stupid," Severus said, annoyed, rolling his eyes.

"I think it is a very reasonable wish, my boy," Alastor said and smiled at Severus. "I would have wished for a well-behaved Pookah as well, but I fear that would be useless." He looked at the little weasel who was sitting on the table with Alastor's pipe in his little paws, gnawing on it. Hearing his name, he looked up and stared at Alastor curiously. When he saw it didn't mean he would get a treat, Pookah started to bite on the head of the pipe again.

"Don't be sad, Sev, he told the same to me," Harry said while plopping himself unceremoniously on the couch opposite Alastor's armchair.

"Let Poppy see that and you will need to hide," Alastor said to Harry.

Harry sat up a bit to look at Alastor, but left his feet on the couch. "Come on, Alastor, you have to tell us what you want for your birthday," Harry pleaded.

"Legs down, Harry. If you need your bad leg to be rested higher than summon a chair," Poppy scolded him as she came into the room.

Harry quickly straightened up and put his feet down. "Sorry, Poppy."

"How is your leg?" Poppy asked him.

"As always, Poppy. Why you still bother to ask is beyond my imagination," Harry said sullenly.

"Watch your tone, young man," Poppy scolded him and waved her wand over Harry.

"Sorry," Harry mumbled.

"Charlie will have your new and altered potion bath ready by tomorrow. Maybe this time it will work better," Poppy said hopefully.

"Yeah, just like the other five times before," Harry said sarcastically.

"Harry, did you take your mood potion today?" Poppy asked.

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry, Poppy. I just met Hermione, and she annoyed me again." Harry looked away from the boring eyes of the Mediwitch and woman he saw as his surrogate mother now. Five months he had lived here now, and he had never felt more at home anywhere else. Alastor and Poppy were like parents to him and he had wished more than once that he'd had them in his childhood. Now he was an adult, but nevertheless enjoyed his life with them. He didn't even mind when they scold him or boss him around. It was their way to show him that they care for him.

"Harry, we spoke about getting out of situations like that before you get too frustrated," Poppy said calmly.

Severus had laid down on Alastor's chest and watched his aunt scold Harry. He was used to it, and they had explained to him that Harry has problems with his moods because of his war wounds. In Severus' eyes Aunt Poppy and Uncle Al could make anything better. They even helped his parents sometimes; the headmaster and the deputy of this big castle.

Pookah had finally given up trying to destroy Alastor's pipe and jumped on Harry's lap. He had sensed the bad mood of the young wizard, and so he used his special ability on him. He was able to calm him, which was shown as Harry relaxed while scratching Pookah behind his ears.

"I know that we spoke about it, and I always try, but Hermione can be very tough. I wish she wouldn't be in the castle so often. The dungeons aren't even safe from her. Since her and Charlie announced their relationship openly she has been around him a lot more," Harry said sullenly.

"Harry, she is still your friend. You should not try to hide from her but learn to handle being around her without getting angry or frustrated or depressed," Poppy explained.

"I know and I try, but avoiding her is much easier. Let's change the subject. Your husband is giving us a hard time because he isn't saying what he wants for his birthday."

"I said what I want. A kind and well-behaved Harry and Sev. That's a lot to ask for but I'm confident in you two that you will manage it at least at my birthday," Alastor said teasingly.

"I'm always well behaved aren't I?" Severus asked and ran over to his aunt.

"Yes, you are, my little sunshine. Your uncle is only teasing you." She sat Severus on her lap and wiped the loose hair out of his face. "I'm sure you two will find something to give him without him telling you. You could make something for him or draw something."

"Oh, yeah, I will draw something for him," Harry said sarcastically.

"Oh, me, too. We can draw together, Harry," Severus said excitedly and bounced happily on Poppy's lap, not knowing that Harry had made a joke.

"That was a joke, Sev. I can hardly just draw something for him," Harry explained embarrassed.

"Why not?" Severus and Alastor asked in unison.

Harry rolled his eyes at Alastor and turned to Severus. "Because I'm an adult and adults don't draw pictures for other adults."

"Why not?" Severus asked, still not understanding why Harry couldn't draw something for Alastor.

"Because I have money, Sev."

"And I don't care about your money, Harry," Alastor said in a warning tone.

"Yes, I know. That's because you don't let me pay for my living here," Harry said grumpily.

"I don't know how often I have to repeat myself, but we offered to you to live here and we want you to live here. We don't need your money, just your respect. Love cannot be bought, Harry. We give it freely to you," Alastor said, hurt, and left the room.

Harry sighed. "Maybe it would be better if I move out again."

"You would be running away again. That's all. You always try to take the easy way. Instead of following him and apologize you want to run away. I hoped we had made at least a bit of progress in the last five months, Harry," Poppy said sadly, shaking her head.

"What can I say to him?" Harry said miserably.

"Maybe you could explain to him why it is so hard for you to accept our love and hospitality," Poppy said in the hope Harry would open up a bit more.

"I'm an adult. I just would feel better if I could pay you," Harry explained.

"For what, Harry? We don't pay for those rooms and almost all the food is delivered by the house-elves and so it also is for free. There is no real reason for paying anything. You keep us company, that's enough payment for two old people like us." Poppy smiled gently at Harry.

Harry sighed. "I will speak with him later. I need a bit of fresh air. Care for a broom ride, Sev?"

"Yeah," Sev shouted and jumped off Poppy's lap. "Come on, Pookah. We go flying."

Pookah jumped excitedly from the table and ran to his little human. If the boy was that excited something funny must happen soon. The little creature started to make excited noises in anticipation.

Poppy sighed when the boys left. Time to find my husband, she thought.

"You know he didn't mean it in a bad way, Alastor," Poppy said while gently petting Alastor's long gray hair when she found him in the kitchen. He was staring in his tea cup as if trying to heat the tea with his stare.

"I know, but it annoys me. Why can't he stop? It's as if we are some staff he wants to pay," Alastor barked.

"Tell him this and you will see how far away you are from the reality by assuming something like this, my dear." Poppy sat beside Alastor and gently pried the cup out of his hands, then took his hands in hers. "Alastor, he never had parents to care for him. He is confused why we offer him all this. Can't you see this?"

Alastor sighed and looked his beloved wife deep in her eyes. "For that, my dear, I have you." He kissed her gently and smiled because he was reminded of a day where Harry came into the room while they were kissing. His face was hilarious and Alastor will never forget it. I was so lucky that I faced the right side to see it. Harry had turned red like a tomato and had stuttered, "Oh, ah, I... I will come back later." Since then Harry had gotten more comfortable waling into a scene like this, but he still slightly blushes each time. Alastor grinned against Poppy's lips.

"Oh, you old fool," Poppy scolded him and playfully hit him against his chest. "Will you ever be able to kiss me without thinking of poor Harry's red face?"

Alastor grinned. "Maybe." With that he shut her up with a passionate kiss and all argument on the topic was over.

After a while they broke the kiss, and Poppy asked, "What would you like for your birthday, Alastor?" She immediately held up her hand when he opened his mouth for an answer. "And don't tell me something like the boys."

"Oh, a well-behaved Poppy is something far, far away from what I want," Alastor said seductively and kissed his wife again.

"Alastor, really," Poppy said and pushed him away scandalized. "We aren't living alone any longer. Even Sev is coming and going whenever he likes. Think about him coming in and hearing you tell me something like this or seeing you touch me inappropriately."

"Inappropriately?" Alastor chuckled. "You are my wife." Seeing her stern face, he said, "Okay, okay!"

"Oh my, just thinking about what he would tell Albus and Minerva." Poppy got herself more and more worried.

Alastor grinned about the behavior of his wife. "Oh, and imagine what he could ask them. I'm sure I can convince him to give me his memory about it, and we could see their faces when he asks them why we snogged. That would be a great birthday present, don't you think?"

Poppy stood up and looked dangerously at her husband. "Sometimes I wonder why I married you."

Alastor stood up and hugged his wife possessively. "Because you love me." He grinned and added, "And because you found this dangerous and mysterious Auror sexy."

"Oh, and see what I have now. An old fool who enjoys scaring kids away." Poppy pushed herself out of his arms.

"Maybe an old fool, but still sexy, aren't I?" Alastor grabbed again for her, but when he leaned over to kiss her, she leaned away.

"No kissing or anything similar until the old fool has told me what he wants for his birthday. And no, Alastor, I won't draw you something." With that she slipped out of the room and left a stunned Alastor behind.


You know, I always need your feetback very much. PLEASE REVIEW!