Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3 – The Party

~*~

"No, please tell me what's bothering you." Poppy captured Alastor's thumb in her hand and kissed it.

"I know you really love those big parties where everyone comes and is cheerful, Poppy. At some point I liked them too, but the best thing was when Severus would be sitting beside me and commenting on all the stupid things the people did around us and commenting dryly about the gossip that had been told. It was like a ritual, and I laughed my heart out with him. Those were the rare times when I saw him grin or even smile, Poppy. He had suffered so much for helping all those people, and now he is gone because they couldn't forgive his past." Alastor paused and laughed bitterly. "I love Sev. Without him I don't even know how I could live with all this guilt, but I can't stop myself from wishing Severus back. They should have given him a chance. I hate the Ministry." Alastor's normally so calm and gentle face, even with all the scars and his magical eye became an angry grimace.

"Hate doesn't change anything, Alastor. We need our energy for those who live. We have to give Sev a wonderful childhood, and Harry the love he needs to heal. Aren't those wonderful reasons to forget the hate?"

Alastor kissed the hand of his wife gently. "You are right, my dear. As you so often are."

~*~

"Harry," Poppy said for the fifth time, annoyed, when a giggling Sev and a grinning Harry made one photo after another.

"What, Poppy? We're just trying to get out of your way while you prepare for Alastor's party. Exactly what you asked us to do," Harry said innocently.

Severus giggled the whole time and yelped in surprise when strong arms lifted him from behind. "What's going on here, tyke?" Alastor asked, and when he saw Harry, he added, "Or better tykes."

"They annoy me. It's beyond my imagination why they think making stupid photos is staying out of my way." Poppy shook her head.

"We stat back far enough to not disturb you," Harry explained.

"By taking photos of me covered in flour you disturb me," Poppy said, annoyed.

"Okay, okay, "Harry said and took fast as lighting a last photo and then turned to Alastor to pester him by taking photos.

Sev was still in Alastor's arms and giggled wildly when the old man tickled him.

"I have heard you've annoyed a lot of people the last few days. For4 example Pomona, Rolanda, Filius. What are you two up to?" Alastor asked while placing Sev back on his feet.

"We stay out of the way," Severus said innocently.

"If I didn't know you are lying," -Alastor pointed at his magical eye- "I would even believe you."

Severus gulped and lost his self-confidence.

"Don't let him hoax you, Sev. This eye can't see if you are lying, and if it could, it would see that we are telling the truth. We stay out of Poppy's way, don't we?" Harry said to rescue Severus.

Severus nodded still a bit dumbfounded.

Alastor grinned. "This eye can do things, Mr. Potter, you wouldn't even imagine," Alastor said teasingly.

"You can scare Sev with that but not me, old man," Harry said and patted Alastor playfully on his shoulder. "Come on, Sev, there are more people to annoy."

Severus tried to follow Harry without letting Alastor's magical eye out of his sight.

Alastor pulled his eyelid down and said, "I'm watching you two."

As fast as Sev's little feet carried him, he ran to Harry.

"Alastor, really, stop scaring the boy," Poppy said reproachfully.

"Ah, Sev isn't scared of me. He is just scared because I'm right, they are up to something," Alastor said while embracing his wife from behind as she kneaded the dough.

"Alastor the 'don't disturb me' rule counts for you as well. I have still so much to do," Poppy protested.

"You are no fun. I hope my birthday will be over soon," Alastor said and let go of Poppy.

"It hasn't even started, Alastor. Tomorrow will be a lovely day with all your friends."

Alastor's face became sad again as he remembered that one good friend wouldn't be there.

Seeing Alastor's reaction, Poppy regretted her comment. "Alastor, please, being sad won't make him come back. Severus is gone, and Sev is here. Please try to let go," Poppy said gently.

"I do, my dear, I do," Alastor said with a sigh. "I think I will go and visit Albus to see if he knows what those two tykes are planning."

_____________

"Morning, birthday boy," Poppy said and kissed her husband.

Alastor growled. "I'm 80, woman, that's far from a boy."

"Okay, good morning, old guy," Poppy said teasingly.

"I will show you how old I am," Alastor said and quickly turned, grabbed his wife and pulled her to him to kiss her.

"Hmm, peppermint, you are always so thoughtful, even in the morning." Poppy grinned.

"A very wise woman once taught me this refreshing charm. And she still practices them as well. Strawberry and peppermint work very well together, don't you think?"

"I don't know. I think, I need a reminder." Poppy leaned over again and kissed him gently. "Hmm, definitely tasty."

Alastor grinned and enjoyed Poppy laying her head on his broad chest.

"Harry and Severus are at the Burrow and won't come back until the party starts. So we have all day just for us," Poppy said seductively while drawing small patterns on Alastor's chest with her fingertips.

Alastor growled. "The best present is the first one this time?" In a swift motion he turned their position and pinned her under him. A very passionate kiss started their very active morning.

_____________

The first presents already had found their way on his birthday present table. Alastor dreaded all this hand shaking and hugging. The whole time he could hear Severus' dry comments in his mind. 'Who would want such a sloppy kiss from Pomona. Really this woman has to find a boyfriend' or 'Best thing for Hagrid would be to give you a doctor's coupon for when he breaks your back with one of his bone-crushing hugs. You are 80! What does he think your bones are made of? Steel?'.

Hermione had given him an old book about his secret hobby of dark creatures. He had no idea where she had gotten it. It was very rare, and he couldn't wait to look through it. Ron had given him tickets for the Montrose Magpies, his favorite Quidditch team. Two tickets meant he could take Rolanda with him. She would be delighted.

Around 40 guests were already in the Great Hall at Hogwarts, that was closed for the students today. The teachers took turns to patrol in the halls and look after them.

Albus and Minerva had given him a very expensive bottle of champagne. Alastor didn't care about alcohol but he loved the exotic bottle of Ytsat, with the dark and light magical creatures carved on the bottle.

The feast was nice but a bit boring without the adult Severus. Alastor had promised Poppy to try to enjoy it and not to think so much about Severus. It was hard.

Suddenly his little grinning sunshine and his big grinning sunshine stood in front of him. "We have a present for you Uncle Al. Ehm, two presents." Severus lifted his little arms to give his uncle the presents. "The drawing is from Pookah and me, and the big present is from Harry and me."

"Oh, really?" Alastor said and started to unroll the wrapping. On the drawing were Pookah's little foot prints in different colors and between them were Severus' foot and hand prints. "That's wonderful. Thank you Severus, and of course Pookah." Alastor patted Pookah's head. The little creature jumped excitedly on Severus' shoulder when Alastor gave him a grape.

In the big present was an old looking book, and on its front stood in scribbled letters 'The two tykes and the big, friendly monster'. Alastor opened it and was surprised. There was the answer to his question what the tykes were up about the last days.

"It's a book we wrote for you. Okay, we didn't write cos I'm no good at it, but I helped Harry write the title. The rest we made with photos, and Harry wrote the text parts. Shall I read it to you?" Severus asked excitedly.

"Of course," Alastor replied and patted his lap for Sev to climb into. "I think you would prefer a chair, Harry?"

Harry grinned. "It would be a real gift for the press if I sat on your lap, but I prefer to stay out of the press."

When they all had sat down, and Poppy had joined them as well, Severus started to read or better tell the story. It was about a little boy and his big brother who were lost in a big forest with many dangerous or seemingly dangerous creatures. The creatures were for example the hugging monster, Pomona, the wise but jumpy half goblin, Filius, Rolanda the Falcon-woman, who sometimes was very harsh but always helped them through the forest and many more. In the end they realized that most of them weren't really dangerous, and they just had to take them as they are. The dangerous ones were those who were beautiful and tried to lure them deeper in the forest and not those who had a few scars and odd habits. The most important people in the book were the nice and kind, but a slightly chaotic fairy, Poppy, who was always covered in fairy powder and the big scary monster with the very soft core, who rescued them out of the dark. In the end, they all lived happily together.

"Did you like our story, Uncle Al?" Severus asked.

"Yes, I liked it very, very much, my boy." Alastor kissed Severus' head. "And it showed how much work you two spent to make me happy. That means a lot to me." This time he looked at Harry.

"I understand now, Alastor. I'm sorry for our dispute." Harry hoped Alastor could forgive him.

"Long-forgotten, my boy. I hope we never have to discuss it again."

Harry spotted the Weasley twins and convinced Severus to come with him.

"Hey, Sevy," Fred and George said the same time. "How are you?"

"Fine, Uncle Al liked our present. What do you have for him?" Severus asked.

"Oh we have..." Fred started.

"-Special chocolate for him," George ended.

"Are you crazy?" Harry asked shocked. "He was very moody about his birthday."

"All the more reason he needs a mood lifting, don't you agree?" Fred asked Harry.

"You must have a death wish." Harry shook his head in disbelief.

"Oh, come on, little one," George said to Sev while Harry was occupied. "You always want to help us with our work, don't you?"

"Yes!" Severus nodded frantically.

"Then I have a mission for you. Do you see this bottle with the Grindylow on it?"

"Yes," Severus answered, but felt a bit bad now.

"Go over and shake it without anyone seeing."

"But it is Uncle Al's present. What if he is mad at me for doing it? What will happen?" Severus asked a little scared. Harry had warned him about the twins and that they sometimes do dangerous things. But he really liked their jokes and fireworks and wanted to show them that he can help.

"I promise you that your Uncle Al will like it. If there will be any trouble I will say that I did it, okay?"

"'Kay." Severus carefully went over, and when nobody looked, he shook the bottle a few times.

"Hello, Professor, we have some sweets for you," Fred said as he gave Alastor the box of chocolates. George leaned closer and whispered in Alastor's ear, "Those with the black papers around them are normal and safe to eat. The rest you should give your friends and enjoy the result."

Alastor grinned. "As always so very thoughtful, want one?" Alastor offered the twins the box.

"No thanks, we also prefer to watch. They are all very safe jokes. We tried them several times and they wear off in a few minutes," Fred assured Alastor.

"I hope you two aren't making mischief already," Mrs. Weasley said and grabbed the ears of her boys.

"Never would we do such a thing, mother," both twins declared and sighed in relief when she let go of their ears. "Oh, have you seen the champagne the professor has gotten? Why don't you open it for him?"

"Another bottle for your collection, Alastor.? How thoughtful of Albus and Minerva. So, shall I open it?" Molly asked.

Seeing the meaningful looks from the twins, he agreed. "That would be great, Molly."

Molly came over again with the bottle. While Molly was occupied with the bottle Alastor scooped backwards and shielded his wife.

"What are you doing, Alastor?" Poppy asked puzzled. Hearing the loud scream and the pop of the cork was answer enough for her. Seconds later a dropping Molly stood before them. Alastor could hardly remain calm. The grin was very obvious on his face. "Don't dare to laugh, you old fool," Poppy said but could hardly contain her own laughter.

"Come on, Molly, lets get you dry," Poppy said and went over to the still shocked Molly.

"This was such an expensive champagne. I'm so sorry," Molly said miserably.

"You would never believe what a fantastic present you just gave my husband, Molly. Believe me that was the best use you could have done with that bottle," Poppy said to calm the red-haired witch.

"Poppy is right, my dear. This really made my day. Look there is still enough champagne in it to clink glasses with you." Alastor handed one glass to Molly and one to Poppy. "Salute," he said and lifted his own glass.

If Alastor thought that was the highlight of his party, he was very much mistaken.


Please review!