Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Planning

“Do you think I’ve been too hard on her Albus?” Severus Snape asked his friend while they waited for the students to reach the office. Luckily Severus knew many of the secret passageways.

“Do you, Severus?” Dumbledore asked.

Severus let his mind go back to a few days before. Selene and he had argued over her being on the team. Though Severus wasn’t able to ban her from the team he was able to schedule his detentions durring the games.

(FLASHBACK)

Selene stormed into her Potions teachers office. “This is low Severus, so very low!”

Severus raised an eyebrow. “I beg your pardon?”

“You purposely planned this detention so I wouldn’t be able to play agaisnt Slytherin! And I didn’t even do anything wrong.” Selene snarled. For weeks Severus had been getting on her nerves, well now she was done being good. “I spoke with Professor Dumbledore and he said I don’t need to serve this detention.”

“He did what!?” Severus stood.

“Why are you punishing me? I’m not doing anything wrong.” Selene demanded.

“Do not raise your voice to me young lady. I’m still your teacher.” Severus glared at Selene. ‘How dare she complaine to the Headmaster. And how dare Albus tell her to disregard his authority.’“You will serve this detention Miss Potter. It may not seem fair to you, but that is not your decision to make. Am I understood?”  

Selene glared at her teacher, her emerald eyes filled with rage and hurt.“Crystal Professor Snape but just so we are clear I will not serve this detention. You and I both know it was Mimi Malfoy who disturbed that potion not me.” Selene turned around and left the room angry and hurt that the one person, adult wise, she trusted in this school had betrayed her in such a way.

She left the classroom and Severus was left with his thoughts; both angry with Selene and with himself.

(End of FLASHBACK)

Severus sighed, yes he’d been hard on her. And he’d broke his trust with her. Selene didn’t like that he had to be cruel to her in public but she put up with it. As hard as that was. And this time he’d taken it too far.

“Do you think it’d be wise to…”

“To let them go have fun? Yes. Especially Selene, she needs some fun in her life.” Dumledore said firmly.

Severus felt his insides ache. He should have been there for her these last few weeks.

“Very well.”

Knock, knock.

“Come in.” Dumbledore took out his jar of Lemon drops.

The group came in.

Selene saw Severus and bowed her head. ‘Shit. He’d never let her go.’

“Hello children. How may I help you?”

Selene nudged Hermione.“Well…you see sir. We…we were hoping you’d let us go to my grandmother’s Halloween Party this Saturday.” Hermione bowed her head knowing how lame that sounded.

“Hm.” Dumbledore’s eyes flickered to Severus then to Selene. “I’m afraid Miss Granger I can not allow you to leave the grounds unsupervised. If you had a staff member go with you on the other hand,”

Hermione sighed. She didn’t want to leave Selene behind. “Alright. Thank you for your time Professor.” They all turned to go.

"A moment Miss Granger.” Severus stepped forward. “Miss Potter a word if you please.” He opened the door to the headmasters office and waited until Selene slowly followed before closing it. “Do you truly wish to attend this gathering?”

“Gee Professor you make it sound like a meeting.” Sel said.

Severus eyed his student. “Do you wish to go?”

Sel sighed. “Does it matter?”

“Selene,” Severus sighed. “I know I’ve been difficult these last few weeks. And I appologise, but know that I was only trying to protect you.”

“But you don’t need to Sev. I’m not a baby. What are you going to do? Lock me in a box? Life itself is dangerous, I can’t spend my whole life hiding.”

Severus sighed. “I know. That doesn’t mean I like it, Selene Lily Potter.” He gently gripped her shoulder. “I don’t want you to get hurt again. Is that so wrong?”

“No Sev.” Sel hugged her Professor and sighed. “I’m sorry I’ve been making things so hard for you.”

“You don’t need to apologise.” Severus realeased her. “But you never answered my question; do you want to go?”

“Yes, please.”

Severus sighed and opened the door.

“Headmaster I shall accompany Miss Potter and her friends to their…party.”

The kids yipeed. And shouted Thank You!Selene leaned against the wall and smiled broadly. This was going to be the best Halloween she’d ever had.  

************ 

(Down in Severus’ Quarters)

“So what are we supposed to do?” Ron asked Hermione and Sel as they looked through an old trunk Dumbledore had given them.

“You put on a costume and when we go trick-or-treating you say trick or treat.” Sel answered.

“That’s it?” Blasie didn’t believe it.”

“Believe it Mr. Zabini.” Severus entered the room with a tray floating behind him. On it were 5 glasses of pumpkin juice.

“Thanks Professor.” Draco took a glass.

“Yeah, sir. Thanks.” Ron handed Hermione and Sel a glass before taking one for himself.

Severus nodded and eyed the trunk. “May I inquire as to what is inside?”

“Costumes. Lots and lots of costumes.” Selene answered with a smirk.

“All I ask is that you don’t leave a mess for me to clean up.” Severus nodded to the children and left for his study.

“I still can’t believe he’s letting us go.” Ron said while sipping his drink.

“Yeah me too.” Selene pulled out a black huntress outfit. “Awesome, I’ll be a Huntress of Night.”

“Cool.” Hermione went over and began looking through the trunk. “I know! I’ll be a cat!”

“A cat?” Draco raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah. Why not?”

“It’s not scary!” Ron said.

Hermione glared. “Maybe I don’t want to be scary.” Blaise shot Ron a look telling hin to drop it.

“Sorry Herm.”

Hermione nodded. “It’s fine. Now pick out a costume.”

Ron stood and began rummaging through the trunk. “Why’s there a roll of toilet paper in here?”

Selene laughed out loud. “That’s not toilet paper Ron. That’s paper wrap. Its so you can be a Mummy.”

“Really?” The wheels in his head were turning.

“Ok, ok my turn.” Draco peered over Ron’s shoulder and picked up a mask. “I’ll wear this, what is it?”

“The Grim Reaper.” Hermione said while she looked for make-up.

“Cool.” Draco put the mask on and grabbed the dark cloak and sickle.

“What are you goning to be Blaise?” Ron asked.           

“A cowboy.” Blaise dusted invisible dust off his robe.           

“A-huh.” Ron kept his mout shut.           

“Well we should give this back to the headmaster.” Hermione said as they cleaned up their mess.           

“I’ll ask Sev if I can floo it up to him.” Sel said.           

“Your not comeing up?” Ron asked.           

“I want to talk to him. Hoepfully we won’t argue this time.”           

“Yeah.” Blaise yawned. “Well what time do you want to head out Hermione?”           

“I’d say 5:00. Professor Dumbledore said he’d connect my Gram’s house to the floo network for tomorrow. We’ll meet in his office.”           

“Fine by me. You ready to go Draco?”           

“Yeah, I’m ready.” Draco waved to the Gryffindors.

“See you tomorrow.”           

“See ya.” Sel waved goodbye.            

“So, we’ll see you later?” Ron asked.           

“Maybe. Depends on if he kills me or not.” Sel laughed.           

“True.” Her friends laughed as well.             

“Ok, talk to you tomorrow. I’m going to bed.” Hermione hugged Selene and went to the door.           

“I’m heading out to. Bye.” Ron followed Hermione. And with a final wave he too left the Potions Master’s quarter’s.           

“They’re gone.” Sel said outloud.           

“Indeed.” Severus entered the room and sat down on his ottoman. “Have you chosen your costume?”           

“Yeah we all did.” Selene sat down on the sofa. “Thank you Sev. For taking us I mean.”           

“No thanks are needed.”           

Sel smirked.           

“How are you Selene? Truly.”           

“Honestly? I’m just tired and…dull. Everythings just too complicated and I really would just like to be a normal kid.” Sel sighed. “It’ll never happen though.”           

“And why not? True you’ve done what no other witch or wizard has done before. But why should that stop you from seeking what you want?”           

“Since when are you so optimistic?”           

 “Since I met you.” Severus sighed. “You may use my floo powder to get to your common room.”           

Sel smirked. This was Severus’s way of telling her he wanted her to go to sleep. That was one of the things that had greatly annoyed her last year. Him telling her what to do and giving her a bedtime. But she appreciated it.           

“Ok. Good night, Severus.”           

“Good night, Selene.”           

Selene waved to her Professor and threw her floo powder. “Gryffindor Common Room!”           

In a burst of green flames she was gone.           

“Good night child. Tomorrow will be a night to remember.” Severus sighed and stood to go to bed himself. Unaware how true his words would be.