Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

“What the hell was that?” Draco demanded, his arms crossed over his chest.  

Severus hesitated, debating over whether or not to start demanding an explanation over the apparent eavesdropping or the disrespectful attitude, but was interrupted as Draco glared at him, anger evident on his pale face.  

“You’re just going to let it go? He’s in the middle of a breakdown and you just decide it’s okay for him to be alone? Are you daft?” 

Severus couldn’t believe his ears. Draco Malfoy, taking Harry Potter’s side? He had to be confunded. With his trademark sneer he retorted, “Excuse me?” 

“He could be suicidal or something, how can you just leave him alone like that?” 

Yes. Draco Malfoy was definitely sticking up for Harry Potter. Someone alert the Daily Prophet. Severus smirked, his arms crossing over his chest in a similar fashion to the 16 year old boy in front of him, “Why Draco, I didn’t think you cared.” 

“I don’t!” Draco exclaimed, apprehension evident on his face, “I just don’t want to go to bed tonight and find the-boy-who-died on that unsightly Gryffindor red bed of his. Imagine me being exhausted and ready to sleep and then having to put up with aurors traipsing through the house and my room, keeping me awake to Merlin-knows-when.” 

Snape’s lips curled into a faint smile, it was obvious Draco was lying. Draco had never been a good liar, something that Lucius had always warned would 'tarnish the Malfoy name'. He was slightly curious as to why Draco was having a change of heart, wondering if it had something to do with his rejection of the Dark Lord, but decided they could broach that subject later. For now, he had to decide whether or not to justify his actions to an obnoxious, insolent boy.  

“Well aren’t you going to answer me?” Draco demanded, his eyes narrowing, “Or do you want him to die? That’s your plan, isn’t it? You don’t get to torture him enough during the term, so you are going to let him off himself over the summer.” 

Resisting the urge to roll his eyes at Draco’s melodramatic statement, Severus responded, “You know as I do that I do not, nor have I ever wanted, Harry Potter dead. Now would you stop with the theatrics? You are starting to sound like one of the ’Golden Trio’, specifically a certain hot-tempered redhead.”  

“Don’t you dare compare me to that weasel!” Draco replied hotly, “I am nothing like that common blood-traitor.” 

Severus raised an eyebrow, “Oh really? Defending Harry Potter against ’the greasy git of the dungeons’? That’s a very Gryffindor thing to do, Mr. Malfoy.” 

He suppressed a smile as he watched Draco’s internal battle between continuing in this pointless argument, storming away or pulling out his wand to hex his godfather to even suggest such an idea. In the end, ’storming away’ won out and Draco’s glared at him, muttering something undoubtedly vulgar under his breath before storming off in the other direction.  

Severus was glad for the silence, it gave him a chance to reflect on what had just happened. He had been waiting for some sort of emotional outburst from Harry since the summer began, he hadn’t thought it would take so long, and he was surprised at what he had learned about the boy in their short conversation. He knew Harry was holding back, why would he trust his most hated professor with more than he was forced to share?, and he hoped that in time he’d be able to open up to him more completely. If not, there were always occulmency lessons to use to his advantage if necessary. After all, having so much bottled up emotions would be disastrous for the side of the light should the Dark Lord attack unexpectedly or, perhaps, in the midst of a angst-filled emotional breakdown.  

He sat down in the library, opening a potions journal, his mind on Harry. Shaking his head, he reasoned with himself that the only reason he was bothering was because without Harry to win the battle with Voldemort, they’d all be dead. He didn’t care for the boy, just his status. He snorted lightly, wondering how many times he’d have to tell himself that lie before it began to come true. 

~~~ 

“Can I come in?” 

“Sure. It’s your room too.” 

Draco pushed the door open and walked slowly to his bed, using the few moments to study the other boy carefully. He wasn’t sure how to react to what he had overheard, the raw pain that was clearly evident in his rival’s words. He didn’t want to behave in his normal hateful manner, after all, the boy was clearly depressed and on edge and he didn’t want to further contribute to the situation. On the other hand, he wasn’t supposed to know Harry was on the brink of a breakdown and he didn’t want to let on that he knew.  

It was hard to act like he hated the other boy every second of the day. Sure, Potter was an annoying prat who always seemed to find the perfect opportunity to knock him down a few pegs or catch him while he was misbehaving, but he would be lying if he said he didn’t enjoy the challenge of a good duel or even a good argument every now and then. 

After discovering what he had about Potter during the day, he was finding it very difficult to muster up the amount of hatred and annoyance he usually saved for the other boy. It was so much easier when Harry was just ’the boy who lived’ and not an actual person with weaknesses and emotions. 

“Do you want to go flying? We’ve got awhile before it gets dark.” 

“Are you asking me to play with you?” Harry asked incredulously, “Did you hit your head today?” 

“Don’t flatter yourself, Potter.” Draco drawled, “I only asked because I’m bored to tears in this house and there is absolutely nothing else to occupy my time.” 

Draco was honestly surprised when the raven-haired boy agreed, and he quickly ushered Harry out before he could change his mind. Though he’d never admit it to anyone, he could barely understand it himself!, he found himself relieved that his long-time rival agreed and was looking forward to the small excursion.  

~~~ 

Harry stifled a yawn, his head still pounding from a mixture of exhaustion and emotion, as he lazily looped around the grounds, Draco a few feet away. If anyone had told him a month ago that he would be hanging out with Draco Malfoy and enjoying himself, he would have laughed.  

This was only the second time he had been flying at Severus’s; even though he had spent the majority of a month at his home and had been given ample opportunity to do so. Before now flying had seemed inappropriate to him, like the very idea of something enjoyable was desecrating Sirius’s memory.  

He still felt slightly uncomfortable at the idea of enjoying himself so soon after he had caused his godfather’s death, but he had been unable to resist the temptation and had needed the fresh air the evening had to offer. He was surprised Draco had invited him, although he could see how the blonde was bored. If he hadn’t kept himself busy studying and reading all summer, he probably would have been bored out of his skull as well.  

He let his eyes close for a moment, the wind hitting his face with a light sting, and he felt relaxed for the first time in weeks. In the air it didn’t matter who he was, what he had done or who he had wronged. In the air he was just Harry Potter, talented flyer and seeker for the Gryffindor team. He wasn’t an idiot who didn’t know the difference between dreams and visions, he wasn’t a murderer, he wasn’t fated to kill the most powerful dark wizard in recent times.  

“Hey Potter, want to race?”  Draco’s voice called out through the wind, snapping Harry away from his thoughts.

Flashing one of the few genuine smiles he had been able to produce this summer, he nodded, quickly catching up to the other boy, “And wipe that smug smile off your face? I’d be delighted.” 

Draco glared at Harry, but even Harry could tell his heart really wasn’t into it, and began to give instructions on their boundaries and the rules of play. Within moments, both were whizzing through the air, their figures blurring in the sky as they raced head-to-head.  

Harry had taken the lead by a mere foot when he realized they were in trouble. 

~~~ 

Draco watched Harry fly, a faraway look in the boy’s emerald eyes, with a hint of concern. Harry wasn’t flying with his usual gusto and he still didn’t seem himself.  

Draco was not a fan of this Harry. This Harry was quiet and subdued, too much so, and while he was easier to get along with than the fiery Harry he knew from school, it bothered Draco to see his rival this way. Aside from the fact that this Harry was different from his Harry and Draco despised not being able to anticipate the reaction of others, especially those he was conditioned to be rivals with, this Harry could not possibly be strong enough to defeat the Dark Lord. This thought alone caused butterflies to flutter in Draco’s stomach, wondering if he had chosen the wrong time to join the side of light. 

Even when he absolutely loathed the Gryffindor, he would not doubt that Harry was a powerful wizard. He had seen and heard of his classmate’s heroics and battles throughout their school years and while he felt quite confident in his own dueling skills, he knew Harry was slightly, if not remarkably, superior in that area. The boy could barely make a correct third-year potion, but he had fought Voldemort several times without losing his life. That alone demanded respect for Harry’s skill as a wizard.  

But this Harry, this shell of the wizard he had spent the last several years antagonizing, lacked the passion that it took to excel in escapades like the Golden Trio frequently engaged in. Unless the old Harry returned, which Draco felt was inevitable since he had seen flickers of the recognizable Harry since arriving at Snape’s, the side of light was in dire straits. He decided to make it his personal mission to bring Harry back to his proper frame of mind.  

It wasn’t because he missed the Harry he was familiar with, it was purely to save himself; after all, it was hardly worth switching sides of the fight if Harry wouldn’t live up to his duty as the boy-who-lived.  

“Hey Potter, want to race?” Draco asked as he watched those emerald eyes droop closed briefly.  

Harry accepted his challenge, albeit arrogantly, and flashed Draco a smile. Now this was the Harry he knew!  

They sped through the air, and Draco clenched his teeth, trying to stay in the lead. Adrenaline pumped through his veins, and glancing at his opponent, he felt a bit of the weight that had settled on his chest after hearing Harry’s confessions to Snape earlier begin to dissolve. He’d be able to snap Potter from this funk with no problem if all it took was a bit of flying to cheer the sullen boy up!  

Harry pushed slightly into the lead, and almost instantaneously Draco felt a slight tingly sensation from head to toe followed by a sudden intensely overpowering feeling of dread. Glancing at Harry, he could tell the other boy felt it as well. Looking over his shoulder he could no longer see the house.  

Harry turned and tried to go back in the direction he had come from, only to be blocked by an invisible barrier. In a voice that sounded nearly as sick as Draco felt at that very moment, Harry gasped, “I think we went out of the wards.” 

~~~ 

Harry felt the blood drain from his face, and as a wave of dizziness and nausea flooded through him he wondered if he would fall off of his broom. He and Draco were two of Voldemort’s most wanted opponents, they were unguarded and helpless, and they had exited the wards of Snape’s residence. Snape’s untraceable, fidelus-protected, invisible-to-onlookers residence. Snape had no idea where they were, and they had no idea how to get back.  

He raised a hand to his throbbing forehead, pressing hard to try and stop the tremor of his hands as he reached out with the other and touched the barrier, only to feel a jolt of pain shoot through his arm. His hand went to his back pocket, only to find it empty. Oh Merlin, his wand was in his bedroom! He was such an idiot! The whole wizarding world is at war, and his wand--the wand that was destined to kill Voldemort!--was sitting on his bed. ‘Great job, Harry,’ he chided mentally before turning to look at Draco.  

“Do you have your wand?” 

Draco reached into his pocket before cursing loudly.  

“Yeah, me neither.” Harry muttered, his now-constant headache flaring even worse, “We’re screwed.”  

“How can you not have your wand?” Draco shouted, “Are you mental?” 

If looks could kill, Voldemort would be spared the trouble of killing the two teens, as they would have completed the job themselves.  

“Shut up, I’m trying to figure out what to do next…and don’t even start with me on not having my wand, you don’t have yours either.” Harry snapped, pressing his hand against his temples in a vain attempt to lessen the throbbing pain. He couldn’t concentrate with his pulse echoing through his head, not to mention Draco’s holier-than-thou attitude.  

Not that silence would make any bit of difference, there was no way to get back onto Snape’s land without being escorted by their caregiver himself and without wands, food and shelter their survival wasn’t looking too promising either. It would be dark soon, and while no one knew exactly where the potion’s master’s home was, it was quite possible that the death eaters had a general idea and could be staking out the area. 

Harry made eye contact with the blonde once more, surprised to see the other boy looking at him expectantly, “What?” 

“What’s the plan?” Draco asked, “You do have a plan, don’t you?” 

“Not a good one.” Harry muttered, “We need to find shelter before someone finds us. I have no idea how to do that without a wand and I have no idea where we are so it‘s unlikely we‘ll be able to find shelter before nightfall.” 

“We can send a letter to Snape and have him come look for us.” Draco suggested, “I’m sure he knows the way around the area.” 

Harry shook his head, scanning their surroundings for a place they could hide, “Where would we get an owl?”

He briefly looked at Draco, who wore a scowl now, and then resumed taking in his surroundings, “Besides, I would think he’d have a way of knowing if the wards had been breeched, he’s probably trying to locate us now. We need to find somewhere that will keep us hidden from Death Eaters but would allow Snape to find us.” 

“Good luck with that.” Draco commented dryly, “A hidden place that’s not too hidden. That is utterly ridiculous. I thought you were good at living on the edge. How on earth did you manage to survive the last few years with such lousy survival skills?” 

“I don’t see you suggesting anything.” Harry replied with a glare, “If you want to fly around and search for an owl, or just wait here for a miracle, by all means, go ahead. I’m going to find somewhere to take shelter, though.” 

Harry tilted his broom up, rising a few feet higher as he tried to decide between the group of trees to the left of the clearing they were in or the river to the right. All he knew was that he couldn’t stay here, exposed to anyone and everyone who would pass by with nowhere to take cover if curses started flying towards him.  

In the end, the trees seemed to provide a bit more cover and safety and he slowly flew into the woods, hoping Draco would follow. As annoying as the other boy tended to be, he didn’t want to spend the night alone and he didn’t feel right about leaving Malfoy exposed when it was known he was wanted dead. Though he’d never admit it, he was relieved when Draco appeared at his side, muttering something about it being on Harry’s head if he was killed by some horrible magical creature in the forest and how he was going to keep looking for owls.  

After circling the forest several times, Harry as still unable to find somewhere for them to hide, and much to the displeasure of both he and his companion he decided to settle himself in the branches of a tree, hoping he’d be shielded enough to keep them from harm. Draco perched himself on a limb next to Harry’s and frowned in distaste, but remained silent.  

“We should take turns sleeping and keeping watch.” Harry said quietly, “It’s probably getting late.”  

The sun had gone down, but instead of moonlight they were left in darkness, clouds obscuring the little light they’d be able to take advantage of under normal circumstances. Draco gave a grunt in response, which Harry took as agreement, and he whispered, “You sleep first, I’ll watch out for Snape.” Or death eaters, although Harry dared not speak that thought. The last thing he needed was to be reminded that whoever found them, aside from Snape, would be rewarded many, many galleons by Voldemort for their capture.  

~~~ 

It was late, Draco was cold and the approaching thunder and lightning did nothing to soothe his nerves. What was worse than being stuck in a tree with Harry-bloody-Potter? Being stuck in a tree, during a storm, with Harry-bloody-Potter.  

His stomach growled as he stared aimlessly into the distance, unsure why he even bothered since he couldn’t see anything except a blanket of blackness. He estimated it to be in the early hours of morning, although he couldn’t be sure. He had slept for awhile before the uncomfortable branch rendered him unable to sleep any longer, and he offered to keep watch while Harry got some rest…although he was fairly certain Harry was not sleeping.  

He jumped as another clap of lightning took him by surprised and by the rustle of leaves beside him he would guess that Harry had been startled as well. He had to admit that while his accommodations were quite uncomfortable, the idea of hiding in the tree was a good one. It would be hard to spot them unless they were being specifically looked for there, and it gave them a good view of what was coming or going, at least, once daylight broke through it would.  

He heard the leaves rustle again and he whispered, “Can’t sleep?” 

“No.” Harry replied, his voice laced with exhaustion, “Want me to take over?” 

“I’m not tired either.” Draco said quietly, “It’s going to start raining soon. I’ve been trying to produce a wandless weather shield but so far it’s not happening.” 

“I’ve tried too.” Harry admitted, “I’m still pretty limited on wandless charms. My wandless defense is better, if that reassures you any.” 

“Only slightly.” Draco replied in a bored tone, although he did feel quite relieved. He had yet to manage much wandless magic besides a simple wingardium leviosa and accio.  

The silence was slowly killing him.  

“Do you think he’s looking for us?” 

“Snape or Voldemort?” Harry retorted, silent for a moment before answering, “Yes…to both.” 

“You just can’t resist the melodrama, can you?” Draco huffed, “I doubt the death eaters even know this place exists, much less that we’ve breached the wards. I’m more worried about what Severus is going to do to us when he finds us. He warned where the boundaries were and I’m sure he’ll just be thrilled to know I went through them anyway.” 

“I think you’re wrong.” 

“Oh yeah, because he’ll just be jumping with joy that we were out all night and blatantly ignored his rules.” Draco replied sarcastically, resisting the urge to push the other boy out of the tree. 

“No, you were right about that.” Harry whispered, “I think you are wrong about the death eaters and Voldemort.” 

“Well I just hope you’re wrong about that.” Draco muttered, “The last thing we need is death eaters right now.”

He didn’t even want to think about the possibility of death eaters in their general vicinity, much less the idea of being found by them. He shuddered slightly before giving a slight cough, “Are you sure you don’t want to get any more sleep?” 

Harry once again declined and Draco bit his lip, slightly concerned. Before they had even started flying, Harry looked exhausted, he was practically falling asleep on his broom. While Draco didn’t have a watch, he was fairly certain Harry hadn’t slept for more than an hour or two, if he had actually slept at all, and the boy would be no use if he collapsed from exhaustion in the midst of an attack. He quickly dispelled that thought, though, since he didn’t even want to imagine the possibility of a death eater attack.  

They sat in silence for awhile, the sounds of their breathing muffled by the now-howling wind and thunder looming overhead.  

Draco had never been scared of a storm before, but he found himself with more than just a smidge of worry as the first few raindrops started to fall, the sky illuminated by a bolt of lightning. As the wind picked up once more, blowing stinging raindrops onto his face, Draco rubbed his eyes and let out a growl of frustration.  

“We can’t just sit here and be rained on, if the wind gets much worse we could be knocked to the ground.” Draco hissed, “We need to find a better place to hide.” 

“There is nowhere else.” Harry replied, his voice strained, “I know this isn’t ideal, but I don’t know what else to tell you. When we first looked for a place to take shelter, I looked for caves, even logs, but I wasn’t able to find anything. This is all we’ve got.” 

Draco wrapped his arms tightly around himself, shivering, and suddenly wished more than ever that he was back in his room at Malfoy Manor, wrapped in his green blanket, a fire roaring, house elves waiting on him hand and foot. He’d even be happy to deal with his father’s wrath if it got him out of this damn tree and back inside of a civilized home.  

Lightning lit the sky once more, and Draco got a glimpse of Harry, who was also sitting with his arms around his knees, shivering. He was alarmed at how pale the other boy was, although he wasn’t quite sure how he himself looked after spending the night outside. His concern was pushed aside, however, as the clouds opened up and rain started to pour down on top of them.  

“Draco?” 

“Yeah?” 

“If Snape finds us and brings us back to his place, I’m never flying there again.” 

“I don’t think he’d even give us the opportunity.” Draco responded dryly, “But I feel the same way.” 

~~~ 

Severus cursed loudly as rain began to fall, this would only hinder his search even more than the dark sky. He had been relentlessly searching for his missing teenagers since the alarm sounded that the wards had been breached. He had wasted precious time searching the house for intruders and the children only to realize they must have been the ones to cross the barrier. After all, if an abduction had taken place there would have been signs of a struggle. Death eaters weren’t exactly known for leaving things intact during an attack.  

His diagnosis of the wards had led him to a small clearing of land north east of his home. The boys weren’t there, but he had figured that would be the case. Between the two of them, Draco and Harry would have had the common sense to seek shelter. He had searched near the river that ran nearly halfway down the edge of his property line, assuming it would be the logical place for the boys to take refuge; they’d need water to survive, after all. That search had left him empty-handed, so he continued to make his way around the property, his search heavily impeded by the moonless night and approaching storm.  

It was hard to say which emotion was stronger, raw fury that the boys had left the safety of his home while knowing the dangers awaiting them or concern for their well-being. It was cold at night, even in the summer, and he doubted they had dressed appropriately for the night chill. He was relatively certain there were no death eaters lurking about, but that didn’t stop him from jumping as the wind rustled through the leaves.  

‘Those boys are going to be in so much trouble,’ he fumed, ’Just wait until I get my hands on them, spending the night lost in the rain will be a picnic compared to whatever punishments I decide!’ 

The rain pounded against his weather shield and he hoped that one of the boys had the good sense to have a wand. He had spotted a wand in their bedroom, but didn’t observe it closely enough to determine which child it belonged to. He hadn’t seen a second one, so he could only assume both weren’t complete and utter dolts.  

He groaned as he reached the forest, he had been hoping he wouldn’t have to enter it. The vast amount of trees, not to mention creatures!, would make his search ten times harder…of course, maybe that had been their idea all along, Harry wasn’t exactly an amateur at saving his own life. 

He slid on a patch of mud, once again cursing the children for making him come out here in the pouring rain in the dead of night. As he landed on his back, a bolt of lightning illuminated the sky and he was able to make out the trembling forms of Draco and Harry on the limbs above him.  

He stood, brushing off his robes and commanded, “Harry Potter! Draco Malfoy! Get down here this instant!” 

Before he even had a chance to register what was happening, Draco screamed and he was being knocked to the ground again as something--someone, actually--tumbled from the tree.

      

Chapter End Notes:
I hope this flowed well, life has been increasingly hectic and I had to write bits and pieces of this here and there. In the next chapter: A lot of Severus/Harry interaction, Harry and Draco come to an understanding, and much more!