Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2: Getting to Know Harry

2 October 1991 07h30
Potions Master’s Quarters

Alright. I have agreed to give Mr. Potter private Potions lessons. First of all, why did I agree to do this? Ack... it doesn’t matter why. What matters is how I will go about it. I suppose I will find a reason to give him a “detention” in class today so I can let him know his guardian and Lady Black have given me their permission,’ Severus thought as he sat eating his usual bowl of plain oatmeal for breakfast. ‘How best to explain Mr. Potter’s regular absence from class, though? If Black and his mother are to be believed, then Mr. Potter and Draco will be at about the same level... probably Weasley, too, as he is close to both my godson and Mr. Potter. I suppose I could talk to the other two and see if they would like to do this program as well, since their performance in class has been decent. That way, if they decide to join the program, it could be announced that the three of them are in an Apprenticeship prep program for Potions. Hmm... I must discuss this with the Headmaster and all three boys, as well as Narcissa and Mrs. Weasley.’

Rising, Severus took his bowl over to the sink and placed it in. No sooner did he let go of the bowl than it disappeared, most likely appearing with the rest of the dirty dishes from the Great Hall.

“Time to get this show on the road,” Severus said aloud. He grabbed his lecture notes, grade-book and graded papers and headed up to put in an appearance in the Great Hall (he usually did this so as to get a cup of coffee and give his snakes a chance to speak to him).

~-~-~-~

Potions Classroom, the Dungeons
Second Period, 09h00

“As this is a double period, I will be assigning a potion that requires a bit of... effort put forth,” Severus said. “I will be observing you all, as the preparation of ingredients is critical to the success of this potion. Thus, points will be added to or subtracted from your daily grade based on prep work. Now take out your quills and parchment so we can quickly go over the theory.”

For the next ten minutes, Severus lectured about the Serenity Solution, a non-addictive version of the Calming Draught. After he finished lecturing, he spelled the ingredient list and instructions onto the board and stated, “You may begin.”

The students all quickly jotted the “recipe” into their notes before going to gather the necessary ingredients. Severus noticed that today, Harry was not working with Draco or Weasley, as he usually did. Instead, he was working with Neville Longbottom. It went without saying that Neville was the worst 1st year Gryffindor student in Potions, and third worst school-wide in his year, behind Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe, two examples of what pure-blood inbreeding does to people.

It is actually quite excellent that Potter is working with Longbottom today,’ Severus thought. ‘It is much more likely that something will happen that will justify my giving him a “detention”.’

As if on cue, Severus heard a resounding crash come from the Gryffindor side of the room. He stalked over and saw that either Potter or Longbottom had knocked over an entire Size 4 pewter cauldron full of water onto the floor.

“Detention, Mr. Potter, tonight at 7 pm,” Severus said coolly.

“As you wish, Professor,” Harry said.

Severus waved his want, and the spilt water dried up almost instantaneously, and, waving his wand a second time, the cauldron righted itself and refilled itself with water. Façade of hatred towards Harry or not, Severus already considered him one of his favourite students.

~-~-~-~

6.45 PM
Potions Master’s Office

Severus stood pacing behind his desk. He couldn’t figure out exactly what he was going to say to Potter yet.

I suppose I could just flat out say, “Harry, if you still want to, you can start the Pre-Apprenticeship Program immediately. Oh, by the way, Draco and Weasley might be joining you”,’ Severus thought. ‘Is the direct route always the best route? Harry is only a rather impressionable eleven-year-old.’

Just as he was about to sit down, a knock sounded at the door. Walking over and opening it, he found Harry standing on the other side.

“Mr. Potter, I must say that I am quite surprised,” Severus said coolly. “Unlike your father, you have actually managed to show me that you can be punctual, if not early.”

“Yes, Professor Snape, sir. I try my best to be a little early, or at least on time,” Harry said. “Before we begin, may I have a moment of your time, Professor, for a non-school-related matter?”

“As one of your House Heads, that is my job, Mr. Potter,” Severus replied. “What may I help you with?”

“Two things, actually. One, when we aren’t in class, could you please call me Harry? Whenever I hear ‘Mr. Potter’, I look around for Papa James*.”

“Of course, Harry,” Severus acquiesced. “And the other thing?”

“Ah. As the Head of House Potter, I would like to formally apologize for how my biological father treated you. Based on entries in my mother’s diary, he treated you like scum and you did not deserve it. So on behalf of my family, We are sorry,” Harry said as formally as he could.

Severus sat down, his gaze on Harry as he tried his best to comprehend what just happened. Logically, he knew that Harry was trying to atone for his father’s sins, but emotionally, it was so much more than that. Finally, he said, “Harry, I accept your apology, and I would like to apologize for how I treated your father and godfather both in and out of school.”

“I accept your apology on my father’s behalf. You’re on your own to deal with Padfoot,” Harry grinned sardonically.

“Now that we have aired out our dirty laundry, so to speak, let’s get down to business,” Severus said. “This is not a real detention, as what happened in class was a complete accident, correct?”

“Yes, Professor.”

“As you know, yesterday was Parents’ Day, which your godfather and his mother attended as your guardians. As we agreed, I spoke to them about the mentoring program you had requested.”

“What’d they say, Professor?” Harry inquired excitedly. He was literally bouncing in his seat in anticipation.

“They agreed to allow you to participate, so long as it does not interfere with your studying time for your other classes. You may have been trained before attending Hogwarts, Harry, but there is a lot you have yet to learn that are just as, if not more, important than Potions.”

“I know, Professor, I know. I am just so happy to get to do this!”

“Before we set up a schedule or anything, Harry, you will need to read and sign this, right below your... what do you call Lady Black and the mutt, anyway?” Severus asked as he handed Harry the modified Apprenticeship contract.

“Sirius is ‘Dad’ or ‘Padfoot’, and his mum is ‘Mamaw’,” Harry replied. At Severus’ sour look, he explained, “One summer... I think I was three or four at the time... we all went on a trip to Disney World, in Orlando, Florida, which is in the United States. It was so cool! Anyhow, I had overheard another kid call his grandmother ‘Mamaw’, and it just sort of became my name for Lady Black.”

“Well, all foreign Southernisms aside, I need you to read that and sign below your ‘dad’ and ‘mamaw’. It basically says that I will be taking you on as an apprentice of sorts. You will be excused from attending regular First Year Potions classes, but you will be spending two to three hours each evening and two free periods per week here in the lab working on the practical side of Potions. It is your responsibility to do the reading, theory work, and essays on your own. I will provide you with copies of my lecture notes to use as references, as well as a syllabus of what will be covered over the course of this program, should you have extra time and wish to work ahead. Is this acceptable to you?” Severus asked, clearly meaning, ‘Do you still want to do this?’

“Yes, Professor,” Harry said, adding his signature, H.J. Potter-Black, to the third signature line. Glancing at the document again, he noticed that his Mamaw had sealed her signature with an imprint of the Black Family Crest. Following her lead, Harry touched the face of his Potter signet ring to the parchment next to his name and pushed a bit of magic into the ring, muttering “Imprimatur.” Instantly, a waxy replica of the Potter Family Crest glowed golden on the parchment, soon followed by the Gryffindor, Slytherin, Atlantis, and Windsor crests. As the glow faded, the wax disappeared, leaving inked seals running down the side of the parchment.

Harry handed the contract to Severus, who signed it and pressed his signet ring next to his name, adding the Snape and Prince Family Crests to the other six. As the glow, black and silver this time, faded, the parchment duplicated itself into five copies, three of which rolled themselves up and disappeared with a *pop*.

“Those copies went to your guardians, the Ministry, and Professor Dumbledore,” Severus said. At Harry’s nod, Severus said, “One last thing before I let you go tonight, Harry.”

“I don’t have to scrub dirty cauldrons with a toothbrush, do I?” Harry yelped, horror-struck.

“No! I already told you that this isn’t... scrubbing dirty cauldrons with a toothbrush? I swear, the rumours floating around about what I give students to do in detentions get stranger every year!... however, I already told you, Harry, that this is not a real detention, so I am not punishing you, nor is this going into your file. Calm down about a hundred notches, kid. I just wanted to ask you to sound out Weasley and Draco to see if they would like to join you in the program.

“Okay, Professor. I will,” Harry said, relieved.

“Thanks, brat. Now scoot!” Severus said, shooing Harry out of his office for the night.

Chapter End Notes:
As Harry was raised from 1st November 1981 on by his godfather, Sirius Black, and Sirius’ mum, Walberga, he knew them as Dad and Mamaw. However, he knows that Sirius is not his real dad, who is deceased. Therefore, he knows his “real” dad as Papa James, and Sirius as Dad.