Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6: At Odds

Harry whipped his head back and forth, examining both men's expressions; Snape's was twisted in a scowl, and Dumbledore's was a mix of hopeful, expectant and fearful.

Harry pinched his arm. “This is all a bad dream right? You're both having me on. I'm going to wake up soon, to find that this was all a nightmare. Yeah, that's it. Because no one in their right mind would ever suggest that Snape and I- uh...Professor Snape,” he corrected himself at Snape's glower, “ would ever in a million years, want to be father and son!” He began to laugh hysterically, snorting through his nose. He thwacked his thigh with the palm of his hands, and even the resulting sting didn't even sober him up.

Harry finally schooled his emotions and looked at both Snape and Dumbledore with a somber expression; his lip still twitching slightly.

“So, now that you've had a good laugh at my expense, what is the real plan?”

Albus sighed wearily. “I'm afraid that this is no joke Harry.”

“You can't be serious sir!” Harry could feel his heart thumping against his chest. He glanced over at Snape. “You agreed to this?” he asked the dark man, incredulously.

“Trust me Potter, this was not something I volunteered for,” he sneered.

Harry raked his hand through his hair, and stared at Dumbledore. He couldn't believe the man was asking him to do something so outrageous; it boggled the mind.

“I'm sorry sir,” Harry said regretfully, “but this is crazy. There's no way that I can agree to this.”

“I thought that you might say that Harry, so let me make you a proposition,” Albus said, standing up in a flutter of blue and silver robes.

“Take some time to think about this-”

Harry jumped up angrily. “There is nothing to think about. I'm sorry sir, but this is the most far-fetched ridiculous plan that you've ever come up with. No disrespect intended-” Harry threw his hands up in the air. “-but I think that you've finally gone off your rocker.”

“You will not speak to the Headmaster in such a tone,” Snape growled, rising from his seat also. Never mind that he had said exactly the same thing to the Headmaster, only days earlier, it angered him to no end that this arrogant child was allowed to speak to his elders in such a way.

Harry glared at Snape resentfully.

“It is typical, Potter, that you once again believe that your comfort and happiness are the sole concerns.”

“Severus!” Dumbledore scolded. “Harry, your comfort and happiness are of great concern to us,”

He narrowed his eyes at Snape, who scoffed at this pronouncement. “Well, they are of utmost concern to me at least.”

Harry looked at him with hollow eyes. “Then why would you ask this of me?” he asked softly.

Albus looked imploringly at Snape. “Severus, would you leave us alone please?”

“Gladly,” he sneered. He awarded Harry with a sour look, and spun on his heels; his long dark hair swinging back and forth, as he swept out the door.

Once they were alone, Harry allowed the air to swish out of his lungs. He wrung his hands together, and turned to look at Dumbledore expectantly.

“So, you said that you were going to explain all this.”

Dumbledore peered at him over the top of his half-moon glasses.

“Harry, it's obvious that you can't go back to your relatives,” Dumbledore began gently.

Harry shifted uncomfortably.

“I'm very sorry Harry. I should have been more observant about your relatives. I should have done a more thorough job of assuring your safety and happiness, and for that I apologise profusely. I've made many errors in my life,” his voice faltered, “but none I regret more than having put you in harm's way.”

“Sir, I don't mean to be rude, but what does this have to do with this plan of yours?” Harry asked impatiently. “If anything...I'll again be put with someone else who treats me like dirt.”

“Harry, I realise that Professor Snape has not always been, shall we say...kind-”

Harry snorted. “That's like saying a Hippogriff gets angry when you don't bow.”

Dumbledore's lips curved slightly. “Yes that is true Harry, however, although his temper is legendary, and his tongue cuts like a knife, there is no one that I would trust better to protect you with his life. He may not be a nice man, he may not coddle you, but I would bet on my life that he would never allow harm to come to you, or be the cause of it-”

“No offence Professor, but I'm not so certain about the not physically harming me part, and he sure the hell has no reservations about psychologically abusing me,” he said bitterly.

Dumbledore's eyes clouded. “It would seem that Severus' grudges go much deeper than I'd ever anticipated, however, I do believe that perhaps the very fact that he agreed to do this, harbours some hope for the two of you.”

Harry picked at the fluff on his trousers. “Sir, sometimes I think that you see what you want to see.” Harry's could feel the warmth spread over his face. “Sorry Professor, I didn't mean to be rude, but-”

“It's quite alright my boy. You and Professor Snape have certainly had your differences, and perhaps I'm just an old, naive man to believe that my plan perhaps will help you both to understand each other.”

Harry brushed his fingertips over his tired eyes. “I don't know if that will ever happen. I can't forgive him for what happened to Sirius, and he sure the hell hates the ground I walk on, so...no Professor, I don't honestly think this plan of yours is a good idea, or that it will work at all.”

Harry let out a bitter laugh. “Frankly, I think the only thing that it will accomplish is... us killing each other.”

Dumbledore's expression saddened. “Harry, if you could only put your differences with Professor Snape aside for a moment, and listen to what I have to say. There is more at stake here, than just your relationship with him."

Harry scoffed. “Relationship?”

“Harry!” Dumbledore's expression hardened. “I know that you are still reeling from Sirius' death, and certain allowances will be made, and while I've done little too earn your trust-” his face crumbled, “-I need you to trust me in this. At least to listen to what I have to say without interruption-” He put his hand up.

Harry nodded. Why did he have a feeling that he would eventually cave in and do what Dumbledore wanted, even though this plan was preposterous and ridiculous?

Harry stared at Fawkes on her perch, pecking at her feathers. If only his life were so simple, he thought with an ache in his heart.

“Harry,” a gentle voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Sorry sir,” Harry said apologetically. “I'm listening."

Albus rolled the long strands of his white beard between his wrinkled fingertips.

“Harry, the day that I told you about the prophecy, was the day my heart broke. You see, it was not the sort of news that I wished to impart on a young fifteen-year-old-boy, especially one that I'd grown so fond of.”

Albus stood up, and came around to stand before his desk, looking down on Harry; his eyes crinkled in sadness.

“While I do believe that you will come out the ultimate victor; your greatest strength is in here after all-” he placed his long fingers over his heart, “I wish to arm you with the best possible defence.”

“And you believe that by using this potion on me and Snape, uh—Professor Snape, that you'd be giving me that, don't you,” he said quietly.

“Yes Harry, I do,” he agreed. “You must understand, that Professor Snape is risking his life by agreeing to this; as a matter of fact, he puts himself at great personal risk, every time he leaves the protection of this castle to spy on Voldemort, at my request.”

Harry's brow furrowed in contemplation. “And just what's going to happen when Voldemort discovers that he's been fooled; that not only are his Deatheaters not as invincible as he believes, but that Professor Snape has been betraying him all this time?. And somehow...I don't think that he'll be particularly pleased if he finds out that Professor Snape has not only adopted me, but that the very potion that he was counting on making his Deatheaters invincible, has now made me so.”

“Precisely Harry. Now you understand how much Professor Snape is sacrificing by doing this.”

“Well, I don't believe for a minute, that he's doing this for my sake,” Harry said bitterly.

Dumbledore shook his head. “No Harry. I won't insult your intelligence by claiming it is so, but no matter the motivation, it can't be denied that this potion will increase your odds of survival, and perhaps in addition to your amazing capacity to love, this is another one of the power that he knows not.

Harry squeezed his eyes shut. He had to ask the question that he really didn't want the answer to. “Would I have to live with Professor Snape?” I mean...will this be a real adoption?” he asked in a croaky voice.

“Yes Harry. I'm afraid you would have to live with Professor Snape-”

Harry grimaced.

“And the adoption would be real in every way. I'm not sure about the legal ramifications just yet, but I think that it's perhaps best to keep it secret for the time being, so as not to put Professor Snape in a compromising position. However, as I was given legal authority to make decisions concerning your welfare in the Wizarding World, I have the authority to appoint whom I wish to act as your guardian. And since the ousting of Umbridge, and Fudge's disgrace, I don't expect Scrimgeour to interfere. However, I prefer to keep all my cards close to my chest, and I don't wish for anyone to realise that I have removed your relatives as your legal guardians.”

Harry's eyes widened in surprise. “The Dursleys are not my guardians anymore?”

“No Harry, they are not, and never will be again,” he said firmly. “Not after how they've abused their authority.” His blue eyes flashed dangerously.

“If I don't agree to Professor Snape adopting me, then who will be my guardian?” he asked anxiously.

“Well, the only options would be Arthur and Molly-”

“No,” Harry said vehemently. “I won't put them in danger. I can't lose anyone else.” His voice cracked, and he blinked back a tear.

Dumbledore retrieved two thick tomes from the high bookshelf behind him. They were covered in a light film of dust. He handed them to Harry.

“You don't have to answer me right away Harry. Read these books carefully; they will answer all your questions about the Semper Purus potion, and what sort of effect it will have on you, and hopefully any reservations you have concerning the blood adoption will be addressed as well. Take a couple of days to make your decision. As strongly as I feel that this is your best option, I will not place any undue pressure upon you. I leave it in your hands.”

Harry fingered the grooves of the red binding, and looked up at Dumbledore. “I'll think about it sir. That's all I can promise right now.”

Dumbledore nodded. “I understand my boy. I leave you however with one more thing to think about. Professor Snape is a very powerful, and courageous wizard. He is highly skillful in Defence, and is a Master in Occlumency, and Leglimency; surpassing even my own skill at the Discipline. He is younger than I and as powerful as I like to think that I am, I cannot protect you in the same ways that he can. He can train you both in physical and mental Defence and at the same time, keep you safe. You will be of age in a year, and not require a guardian, but a lot can be accomplished in a year Harry, and perhaps the awards will outweigh the sacrifices.”

Harry bit his lip. “But he hates me,” he said quietly.

“Harry, as I said before, Professor Snape will not allow his feelings towards you to interfere with his job of protecting you. He's been doing it for the past five years, has he not?”

“Yeah,” Harry said reluctantly.

“Besides...one effect of the Potion, and for that matter, of the blood adoption, is that the bond between father and son-”

“Please. Don't. Call. Him. That,” Harry said in a steely tone. “James Potter is my father. I'll never consider Snape my father.”

“I understand that Harry, however, once the blood adoption is effected and the potion is ingested, you and Professor Snape will be linked to each other in a way that he will feel a strong desire to protect you and care for you, much as a father would care for his son.”

Harry shook his head in disbelief. “I'm sorry sir, but this is all a bit much to take in. May I go back to the Tower? I'm really tired.” And indeed, Harry felt a wave of fatigue wash over him. This was all too much for his brain to process.

“Of course my boy.”

“Oh, and Professor? Harry said, with his hand clasped on the doorknob. “Can I speak with Ron and Hermione about this.? I mean...I don't know if I can make a decision like this on my own.”

“I understand Harry, however I wouldn't recommend that you speak of such things through the post.”

“Can I maybe go to the Burrow for a visit?” Harry asked hopefully.

Albus pinched the bridge of his nose. “I'm not sure that that is wise at this point Harry.”

Harry swallowed a lump of disappointment.

“However, perhaps we'll see if Miss Granger, and Mr. Weasley can come here for a short visit.”

Harry's face lit up in a smile. “Thank you sir.”

--------

Harry's head swirled, as he laid it down on his soft pillow.

He stared at the candle on his bedside table, and the flickers of the flame, slowly lulled him to sleep, wondering, as slumber claimed him, what his parents would think of him being adopted by Snape. Would his father feel betrayed? Or would they want him to go through with this crazy plan?

Harry had a suspicion that despite his reservations about Snape's motives, and indeed the man's abusive treatment of him over the years, that his parents would want him to have every advantage to ensure his survival.

Harry's dreams were laced with visions of his Mum and Dad, smiling encouragingly at him, and Harry could feel his heart swell with love.

Harry reached out to clasp his mother's hand, but he clutched at air.

His breath hitched in his throat. “Mum?” She looked so beautiful, with her silky auburn hair, cascading down to her shoulders; her emerald eyes bright with tears. His father stood next to her; his warm eyes crinkling, as he smiled gently at Harry.

“Harry, my love,” his mum said softly.

“What should I do Mum...Dad?”

“The decision is yours son, but no matter what, remember that we want only what's best for you,” his father said; his voice husky with emotion.

Lily nodded. “Severus is a good man Harry. He may have made many mistakes in his life, but I know in my heart, that he will protect you fiercely.”

“Mum! Dad! Please don't go,” Harry cried, as the wispy apparition faded...

Harry awoke, his brow bathed in perspiration. He wrapped his arms around himself, and brushed away the tears, with his hand.

It seemed so real. His heart ached with grief. he'd lost everyone he'd ever cared about. He never felt so alone in his life, and if he agreed to this, he would more or less have a new father; a new father that hated his guts...