Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
SO sorry that's been a YEAR. All I can say is that 2011 will probably go down in history as a really really bad year for me. Also there were other distractions as a plot bunny stole my attention for another fandom. Thanks to Wands who was my beta for this chapter.
Nursing Up News

 

There were many things muggles and wizards had forgotten. Busy lives overtook less important matters, things once treasured, lay abandoned. Paths people once frequented now only traversed by either the most desperate or the most obligated. Such was the case of Smite Street, a road off to the side of the more popular, Diagon Alley. Tall brick buildings with broken windows and boarded up doors, the street was both accessible to muggle and wizarding folk. Not that there were many people who found reason to set foot onto the cobblestone path.

Presently however, there was a tall man with long brown hair hurrying to a building that lay centered in the row of dilapidated structures. His green robe swayed as his gait hastened to the door. He spread his hand out and muttered a quiet phrase. The woodened door creaked open and the man ducked inside.

"The situation, is it really that dire?" A short balding wizard asked the visitor. He waved his hand and two cups of Oolong tea appeared.

"Ay. The thing we feared may soon come to light." Snow disappeared from the visitor's garments with a simple spell.

"Surely not. We were assured that it was all hearsay." He slammed his tea down on a table. Suddenly, it didn't taste so sweet.

"'fraid naught. While this order was largely ignored-abandoned really, after You-Know-Who's demise, at least one of his followers obeyed."

A single slip of parchment appeared with a pop and floated down. The balding wizard took it and his eyes enlarged as he read.

"How can this be, with Dumbledore to back him up?"

" I do not know but we are legally required to inform him of this development."

"Yes certainly-in normal circumstances-but really, is he worthy enough to be a father?"

"Who is the child?"

"The parchment does not say-it only reads that he indeed donated.

The older wizard shook his head as he waved his wand. "Accio regulations scroll." A hefty roll of parchment flew into the air and unrolled itself. The man ran a wrinkled finger over it until he came to a particular section.

"It says here in article F.123 that 'any clinical worker who interferes with due process of law shall have his or her magic revoked and a stint in Azkaban prison. ' Do you really want to risk those consequences?"

"Well, we cannot ascertain the identity of the child thus bringing that rule to moot."

SESESESE

Harry had finally calmed. Severus didn't want to admit it-in fact he would bloody well deny it, but he'd been worried. He had seen the fear in the child's emerald eyes as the boy tried to process the impossible. He had thought that the child calmed earlier but that was only until the fear had foisted another bout of panic in the child. Severus stroked the Gryffindor's head as the professor pondered the young wizard's dilemma.

He knew that Harry didn't believe that he was paralyzed and that concerned him. His student was in denial, there was no questioning that. Denial was only to be expected but Severus knew it was not healthy. If Harry did not accept his situation, then emotional healing would never begin. For the moment though, all Severus could do to help the child was to distract him. The rehabilitation witch was scheduled to arrive soon to talk through the therapies and other life-altering help Harry would receive.

Severus thought back to his boyhood days and what had interested him when he had wanted to escape life's worries. Potions for sure had been an escape but not practical in Harry's situation. What other activity had he fallen to? The potion's master thought back to the recent days. The Gryffindor child had loved hearing The Christmas Carol. Books might be an option, perhaps something with adventure, knowing the mischievous eleven year-old. Severus was not sure if the child liked to read but it was worth a shot.

SESESESE

"Mione it's been days since we've seen Harry! We need to find him; he could have gotten in trouble! Probably that Greasy Git found him sneaking around at night and chopped him into potions' ingredients!" Ron whined as the two first years watched the roaring fire in the floo.

"Ronald, relax, Harry probably was only summoned home to spend Christmas with his muggle relatives." Hermione reasoned.

"Then that's even worse than the Slytherin snake." Ron muttered as he looked away, unwilling to meet his companion's eyes.

"Pardon?" Hermione hadn't heard of the Dursley's treatment of their nephew.

"Never mind. Let's just go find him." Ron stood and held out an arm to pull Hermione up. Hermione allowed him but as she stood she froze.

"Ron, remember when we tried to leave earlier? We weren't allowed to leave the tower!" A frown drew on her face. "If only there was a way for us to get by the tower stairs. Then again, the castle is so huge we may never find Harry!"

Ron blinked at his friend and then turned on his heel. He ran up the stairs to the boys' dormitories.

SESESESE

A few minutes later Ron returned with two familiar redheads. The two twins were grinning slightly as if they knew some terrific secret, but were concerned for their honorary brother. One of them-even Ron had difficulty in telling them apart-waved the two first years over closer to them.

"Ronnie-"Ron grimaced-"told us you needed a way to escape the tower-"

"-without encountering the charm placed on the stairs"

"-and without being caught by any persons who may and try to deter you"

"We have the perfect item for your perusal." The twins finished together.

One, Fred, Ron finally decided, dug into his deep robe pocket. "This is your answer to your prayers. It will show you within the castle anyone-

"-at any time" broke in George.

"How's that?" Hermione peered closer to the folded parchment. "It's blank!"

"Ay, but not for those who know the secrets of this spare bit of parchment." Fred held it out to the young lioness.

"To get it to work-"

"hold it out and say"

"I solemnly swear-"

"I am up to no good!"

At once the blank parchment bled with black ink. The liquid spider-webbed until words appeared on the outside folds.

"Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs
Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers are proud to present
THE MARAUDER'S MAP"

"We don't know who these people are but they are brilliant!" George exclaimed as he took the map from his twin. "Open it and look what happens."

George unfolded the parchment and to the first years' surprise a map of Hogwarts stared back at them. All throughout the picture were dots with little flags.

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "Those flags are names of people in the castle!"

"You got it in one. Use this to find Harry and to avoid teachers and other unpleasant sorts. George and I use this little artifact to avoid whomever we want to. It also shows halls and tunnels you otherwise might miss." Fred shrugged.

"So this map can help us find Harry?" Ron in awe looked for his mate's name. "There it is; he's in the hospital wing!"

His momentary glee at locating Harry was swallowed by another thought.

"We still don't know how to go to visit him!"

George slightly chuckled. "See the little brick on the paper in the Gryffindor common room?" He placed his finger on it to ensure his brother and friend would notice it. "It has a tunnel –"he traced the tunnel-"you just have to say the phrase, 'Daniel freed from lions' den.' Dunno what the phrase means exactly, but it'll do the trick."

By this time, Fred had walked to the brick in the real common room and was kneeling in front of it. The trio followed him and crouched down.

"I'll stay here and be prepared to create a diversion. I think George should go with you on your first trip out."

"Sure you don't mind brother dear?" George's voice was sickly sweet.

"Ha. I know when I'm not wanted," he kidded. "Three's company but four's a crowd." He smirked to show he was truly wasn't upset. Besides Dingbat, I'm the brains of this here operation!"

"We'll be sure to blame you if anything goes wrong!" Ron eyed his older brothers.

"Alright then. Daniel freed from lions' den." Hermione cut in before things could get out of hand.

The brick wiggled and turned about, settling on its short side. Creaking and a puff of smoke followed and the brick had formed a handle for the door that had appeared in the wall. George was the first to enter the little hallway.

"Well are you coming?"

Mute, the two first years followed.

  SESESESE

Severus glanced at Harry, who was currently reading a book that he had loaned the child, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a favorite of his from his childhood. The Slytherin was currently waiting for the floo to connect to Healer Linda, who would be overseeing Harry's rehabilitation. He really hoped that the young Gryffindor child would not be crushed as he learned to accept things would be different now. It was always a bitter potion to swallow when someone learned that their life was forever changed. A child on the brink of adolescence would find it even harder to accept. Perhaps that Gryffindor spirit would help the lad cope.

A crackling drew his attention to the floo.

"Greetings Madame Linda, thank you for your prompt response."

"You are quite welcome Professor. I was notified earlier of your rather unique situation and I would be honored to assist in therapy. Shall I come through?"

"Yes, please."

"Certainly, I shall be through in a moment, I need to gather some supplies."

"Thank you."

Thankful that the conversation was completed, he stole a glimpse at his ward. He would have never guessed that the boy liked to read but Harry was pouring into the book. It was nice to see Harry laughing, so carefree even for a moment. Severus hated to interrupt him but he had to. "Harry."

"Yes, sir. . .Severus?" Severus moved closer to the Gryffindor so Harry would not be tempted to try and look around.

"The healer, Madam Linda will be stepping through the floo in just a moment. I thought it best for you to be prepared." Severus explained as he took the book offered by the young boy. He set the classic on the nightstand and then helped the child shift position on the bed.

"Thank you." There wasn't any more time for idle conversation as the floo roared to life and a lady with deep red long hair stepped out. With freckles on her nose and no wrinkles present, she looked to be in her mid-twenties.

"Hello Harry, Severus." She greeted as she walked over to the hospital bed. "My name is LeAnn Linda, but you can just call me LeAnn. I hear you want to escape this bed, eh?" She asked the eleven year-old.

"Yes." Harry quietly quipped, his demeanor radically changed from the carefree boy he'd been when reading about Tom Sawyer.

"Good, because ninety-nine percent of your freedom depends on you." The young healer bubbled with enthusiasm .

Severus only hoped the child wouldn't crash and burn when he finally accepted he'd never walk again. Only time would tell. The potion master looked at the child again. He didn't want to miss any information regarding Harry's treatment.

However, as if to mock him, a sharp sledgehammer of pain tore through his head. He blinked and tried to avoid the temptation of letting the pain encompass him and pass out. A slight pop was heard and a little female house elf stood in front of him.

"Pardon me." Severus apologized and stood up to face the elf.

"Harry, I shall return momentarily." Before the Slytherin walked off, he heard Harry asking about the elf but in order to keep his word and not be gone long he forced himself to follow the elf.

"Yes Annie?" The man questioned as they stood in a little room off to the side of the main hospital wing. With silence and other privacy wards up the tiny elf glanced up at him.

"Annie's here sir to inform Master Severus of peculiar news." The elf shifted and glanced at her feet.

"Yes, and what of it?" the potions' master willed himself to be patient.

Elves were accustomed to maltreatment and though he was always kind to the elf, she was inherently nervous.

"A charm yous had me place twelve years 'go has activated, sir." She stared up with eyes as big as saucers.

She snapped her boney fingers and a little scroll appeared.

Severus drew in a breath. He could only think of one time that he had asked Annie to place a charm on something. His hands trembled and he swallowed. Sweaty potion-stained fingers took the scroll.

This parchement signifies Severus Donavan Snape's desire to be informed of essential matters related to any daughters or sons his sperm donated in 1979 produced.

It is hereby announced that the minor child you willingly fathered is in dire circumstances. Upon your request to be notified of such a situation, you receive this scroll. A charm was placed on the phial of the specimen and has now activated to reveal the identity of said minor. By reading further, you accept the responsibilities, whatever they may be, for your offspring. To decline any paternal duties read no further and your magic will signal a refusal of duties and your parental rights will be forfeited.

Severus blinked. He recalled that in recent history there had been a dream-induced memory of him donating. However, Harry had needed him and the man had pushed the memory to the side. He was almost afraid to read further as he had more or less assumed responsibility for the raven-haired child. How was he supposed to take care of two children? He wasn't even sure of what one child would need since he didn't know anything about his son or daughter. Let alone the circumstances that had caused the scroll to appear to him. A slight tapping of a foot startled him. Annie stood glaring at him.

"Me thinks Master should read the rest of the scroll sir." She seemed to remember her fear, "If sir wants to, that is."

She gave a squeak and hunched her neck between her shoulders.

Severus knew he had to. There was no question, not really. He was obligated and he tried to never break his word. So gulping he read on.

Sex of Offspring: male

Current age of Offspring: eleven

Current Full Name of Offspring: Haran James Potter Snape

The world spun. Harry was his SON?

Chapter End Notes:
For points (and no, in a rush to get this to you after all this time, points were not tallied. However, they WILL be next time) answer one of the following right: a) There is a plug for a television series. What is the show's name? b)Harry's name is revealed to be something other than Harry, what is the meaning of his name and it's roots? Answer both questions correctly and you will receive double the amount of house points.

Also, the part at the beginning with the two wizards means that the ministry knows such activities took place but they don't have the names of offspring.