Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sev and Augustus have an interesting talk and then they all pay a visit to the Dursleys
We Three Kings

Harry climbed the stairs silently, removing his shoes before doing so, and sneaking up the wooden treads in just his dress socks. He was puzzled as to why his father would be annoyed with his grandfather, when he had thought the evening had gone very well. Sometimes he just couldn’t figure the Potions Master out. By the time he reached the study, he could hear Severus’s voice raised in a very annoyed, though not a full-out angry tone.

“Grandfather, how many times must I tell you that I do not need help finding a woman to date?”

Harry flushed. Ah, so that was what this was about. He suddenly recalled the scene he had witnessed in Drusilla’s garden and he felt himself redden to the tips of his ears. Did he really want to hear this conversation? He was tired and he wanted to play with Hedwig before falling asleep and he knew that if he were caught eavesdropping—a thing which both Severus and Augustus regarded as the height of bad manners—he would be in worse trouble than he already was. For once, be smart, Harry, and just go to bed. You’re already grounded till New Year’s Eve, you don’t want to make it worse.

So he ignored that little germ of curiosity whispering in his ear and made himself turn away and head into his room. He spent several minutes petting and playing with both his familiars, neither of whom seemed to mind the other, and then started writing letters to his friends, asking how their holidays had gone. He got about halfway through the one to Neville before falling asleep over his parchment.

* * * * * *

Back in the study, Severus was scowling and glaring at his grandfather. “ . . .do you think I’m some pathetic idiot who can’t find a woman and needs you to play matchmaker, for Merlin’s sake?”

“Severus, I’ve told you before, you need to get out more. Now that Henry’s off to Hogwarts for most of the year, you can finally start having a life that doesn’t revolve around your son. Or your job. From what I saw, you and Miss Miska seemed to be hitting it off rather well.” Augustus said calmly. He had expected Severus to react this way, the young wizard was extremely touchy when it came to personal relationships, and very cautious about letting anyone inside his carefully constructed private space.

“Well, yes . . .but that’s not the point, Grandfather!” Severus protested, feeling suddenly awkward. “I would have asked Sandra out . . .eventually.”

“When, Severus? When Henry is ready to start seventh year? I don’t mean to seem pushy, but I don’t understand why you would turn down the lady when she so obviously is interested in you.”

Severus set his jaw, The last thing he wanted to discuss was his personal life, but he sensed unless he told Augustus something the old man would keep prying. “I had my reasons.”

Augustus gave him a searching glance. “Such as? Were you afraid she would reject you the way Lily once did? Because I can tell you right now that wouldn’t have happened. This isn’t some school romance, Miss Miska—Sandra—is a mature woman who knows when she sees a desirable man—”

“Grandfather, please!” Severus began blushing, unable to help himself. “You make me sound like . . .some midnight fantasy!”

Augustus smirked. “And what’s wrong with that, my lad? As I was saying, you’re no longer that awkward adolescent, you’re a fine upstanding man and I’m not surprised she went for you, Severus. You’re quite the catch, Potions Master.”

Severus snorted. “She doesn’t know me very well. All she knows is what I do and that I can sing Christmas carols . .. “ he broke off, horrified at what had just come out of his mouth.

Augustus grinned. “You’ve been singing Christmas carols to her? No wonder she’s been attracted to you. We Prince men have ever had . . .how did Drusilla used to put it? Ah, yes, voices that could make a stone weep. She always loved it when I sang to her.”

“They were just Christmas carols,” Severus mumbled. “I sang one song to her every time we visited Diagon Alley before Christmas. It’s not like it was anything spectacular, I’m no Taliesin. I don’t why she kept requesting one every year for four years . . .”

“Don’t you? Merlin, Severus, you’re a Water Master, and traditionally a Master of that Talent has the most mesmerizing voice, when he cares to use it in that fashion.”

“What are you saying? That I set out to . . .to deliberately enchant her? Because I did no such thing!”

“Severus, you don’t need to do anything except open your mouth and you’ve got a girl’s attention. It’s not something you ought to be ashamed of. A Water Master’s voice is a powerful weapon. Haven’t you noticed that you never need to raise your voice and most people jump when you give orders? Look at your son.”

Slowly, he nodded. He had always had a soft voice, and never liked to scream at people, because he had grown up in a house where his father’s primary method of communication was a roar of fury, usually followed by his fist. “I don’t like to shout at people.”

“Nor do you need to. Those who command Water have a presence that is second to none, and women adore that silky voice, Severus.”

“How do you know all this? Did . . .she tell you?”

Augustus laughed. “She didn’t need to. Severus, I’ve lived more than three times as long as you have, and I’ve seen the effect that voice has on women.”

“Then why didn’t it have an effect on Lily?” Severus snapped.

“Your powers were not awakened yet. And have you ever stopped to think that you were lucky you never married her, if she was in love with someone else? Or that she didn’t trust you enough to believe that you would never walk the dark path? A relationship built upon mistrust won’t last. Perhaps she was never right for you at all, Severus.”

“No, you’re wrong.”

“I don’t think so. She was the first girl you ever loved, and you never forgot that. But don’t you think it’s time to let her go and allow yourself to be happy again? There’s no reason why you can’t have a relationship and raise a child.”

“I didn’t want to neglect Harry, and I couldn’t tell her the truth about who he was back then, and I didn’t want to have a relationship begin with secrets. It had nothing to do with my feelings for Lily.”

Augustus did not agree with that, he thought much of Severus’ reticence in dealing with women came from both his broken childhood and his rejection by his first love. Severus was one who felt passionately about things, though he did his best to hide it, and Lily’s choosing James Potter over him had cut him deeply, and only increased his poor self-image. Once bitten, twice shy. Still, he knew if he pressed the issue, Severus would turn surly and angry and that was not the note he wanted this Christmas night to end on.

“I agree, honesty and trust are the building blocks of a good relationship. Now that Harry knows the truth about his past, you can decide if you trust Miss Miska enough to divulge it.”

“I don’t know if I do,” Severus cried, exasperated. “Which is why I didn’t want you meddling.”

“Oh, come now, Severus. It’s hardly meddling to wish to see my only grandson and heir settled down before I die. Now shelve that prickly pride of yours and think about this logically. A man in your position has certain responsibilities to the family name.”

Severus half-gaped at him. “What do you mean, before you die? Grandfather, is there something you’re not telling me? Are you ill?”

Augustus sighed. “No, Severus. I am in perfect health for a man of my years. But the fact remains that I am over a hundred years old and I won’t be around forever. So I wish to make sure that you are happy and have a family that you can lean on before I go.”

“I have Harry.”

“I know, but the boy’s no substitute for a lady, Severus,” Augustus said bluntly. “I love him dearly, but what if something should, Merlin forfend, happen to him? You have to think of the future and you need another heir.”

“So I’m to marry for bloodlines, like a prize stallion?” snapped the other, nettled.

“Marry whomever you wish, Severus, but just don’t wait ten years. I think that Sandra Miska loves you, otherwise why in hell would she wait four years for a man who barely noticed her? Don’t be a fool and throw it away. In this day and age, it’s rare for a lady—for anyone—to wait like that for anything. She’s not some lass fresh from school, she knows what she wants, and I think you could do a lot worse. She’s a half-blood, like you, so you even have that in common.”

“How did you know that?” Severus demanded. “She only told me tonight.”

“I’m not deaf,” Augustus replied smugly. “I overheard you at dinner.”

“What else did you hear, old fox?”

“Enough to know that she’d make a good match for you if you quit pussyfooting about and date her. And if I’m wrong, well . . .it wouldn’t be the first time.” The Elemental Master sighed. “And before you get on your high horse, grandson, no, I am not trying to run your life and I don’t believe in arranged marriages like most purebloods do. My parents tried that with me, and it ended in disaster. Yes, I was almost married twice. I was betrothed as a small child to Anastasia Amberly, who later became Anastasia Malfoy when I broke the betrothal after spending months in her company and deciding that we would kill each other were we forced to marry. I had just turned seventeen and we could not abide each other. She was an arrogant prissy thing who cared for propriety and appearance and nothing for honor or integrity and thought I was an uptight stiff and too clever and cunning for my own good. She looked down on anyone who didn’t have a Name or title attached to them and respected nothing save herself. I loathed her, and the best thing I ever did was defy my father and break the contract on the grounds of irreconcilable differences. That left me free to pursue my own career as an Auror, and that’s where I met Drusilla.”

“Did you know when you met her that she was the one for you?” asked Severus curiously.

“Not at first. At first we fought like cats and dogs, she had a temper too, and didn’t know why I had been promoted over her to guard the Minister,” Augustus smiled reminiscently. “But I understood her. She was prickly as a porcupine, but she had what Stasia lacked, honor and integrity and above all compassion, though she hid it well back then, for fear of getting hurt. As you do. Like me, she felt the only way to protect herself from feeling too much was to build a wall about her heart and to hedge it with thorns and pretend she was quite content just being alone, Drusilla Stormbringer, aloof and proud. But I knew how to look past the thorns and see the heart beneath, and that was how I won her regard, for seeing what no one else ever had, that sometimes prickles hide a lonely compassionate soul, just as the reverse is true and someone who seems open and beloved by everyone can actually be cold and manipulative inside, and care little for individuals and more for his own agenda. Such as Albus Dumbledore.”

“You don’t trust him then?”

“No. I have never fully trusted the man, he says he seeks no power for himself, but what a man does not seek openly, he may seek subtly. Sometimes the real power is not in the Minister, but in the one who whispers in his ear. And Dumbledore has a great deal of influence over Fudge. If he didn’t, I daresay young Henry would have been placed as a Ministry ward and never gone to his Muggle relatives at all. It was Dumbledore who convinced Fudge that Henry was better off being raised away from the wizarding world and he who dropped him on the doorstep of the Dursleys without even bothering to speak with them first. Then again, I suppose we should be grateful for that, because you found Henry because of it, and he grew up safe and happy and loved. Heaven only knows what might have been otherwise.”

Severus nodded, most of his anger and annoyance at the other wizard had drained away. “So you think I should give Sandra a chance?”

“I do. And yourself as well. Just because Lily Potter is dead is no reason to become a monk, lad. Let yourself live a little, you’re only thirty-one!”

“With an eleven-year-old son.”

“So? I was your age, maybe a little younger, when I started going out with Drusilla. You’re not too old to start a family, Severus. I think Henry would like a younger sibling. I would like a few more grandchildren around here.”

“Don’t start, Grandfather.”

Augustus contrived to look as innocent as newborn puppy. “What? It’s only a statement of fact.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “I’m sure.”

“You do like the girl, don’t you?”

“Yes. She is easy for me to talk with and she is very attractive, even though she thinks she isn’t. I will invite her out to dinner and see how that goes.”

“Good. That’s all I wanted.”

“Speaking of Dumbledore, won’t he realize we’ve transferred the Potter vault away from him and start asking questions?”

“No, because the transfer was done on a defunct account, and it was done legally and we invoked the Seal of Privacy. Dumbledore will know nothing unless he decides to take money from the vault, but why he would bother doing so when Harry Potter is missing or presumed dead is beyond me. He has no need of Potter’s gold, his family is quite wealthy as well.”

“But not as wealthy as the Princes.” Severus said astutely. Only he and Augustus and the goblin financial advisor who worked for them knew exactly what the Prince estate was worth and it was much more than anyone would think. Augustus was not ostentatious and he lived quietly, but he was also a clever investor and businessman, and he had made the most of his inheritance.

“No. But money isn’t everything. Dumbledore was counting on Harry Potter to fulfill that bloody prophecy, as you well know, but now that he’s a Snape by blood adoption, that will no longer be something he can control. It should be quite . . .interesting to discover how he’ll react if or when he finds out.”

“Yes. And what about those Dursleys?” Severus asked, saying their name as if it were a mouthful of dung.

Augustus’ eyes flashed. “I shall be happy to mete out my own brand of justice to them.”

“And I shall be happy to help you,” Severus said, his demeanor becoming suddenly menacing.

“That we can attend to tomorrow. For now, though, it grows late and I need some sleep. Merry Christmas, Severus.”

Severus hid a yawn. “As do I, Grandfather. Merry Christmas. See you in the morning.”

Then he departed the study and went to check up on his son, as was his wont.

He found Harry fast asleep on his desk in a pool of spilled ink, his hand had knocked it over in his sleep.

Severus shook his head, cleaned up the mess with a brief Neaten-Up charm, then cleaned up Harry with another, and picked him up and put him in bed. Harry never woke, and Severus left him to his dreams.

* * * * * *

Over breakfast the next morning, while Harry was eating his cinnamon and banana pancakes and sausage, Severus looked at him speculatively and said, “Remember when we were at the hunting lodge a few days ago, and you told me you wanted to find out why your relatives left you in the manger?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Because your grandfather and I were planning on a visit to Surrey, to confront your skinflint relatives about that and the fact that they were embezzling funds from your vault. Would you like to come with us? It may help you get closure about them.”

Harry thought about it. The impulse that had made him fly his broom so recklessly into the blizzard was not as strong now that he had been forgiven and had come to terms that he had been adopted and still belonged with a family. Then he had been hurting and scared and searching for someone to give him answers. Still, he did wonder about them—and he would like to see them just once, so he could tell them off to their face, maybe even shock them with the fact that their horrid scheme had not worked, and the nephew they sought to be rid of was still very much alive.

He nodded decisively. “Yes. I want to come with you and . . .see them.”

“I figured you might,” Severus said, then turned back to his breakfast.

“What will you do to them?”

Augustus smiled ferally. “Oh, I will make them wish they had never done such a cruel and wicked thing, which they’ve gotten away with these past ten years. But no longer. I will use their own fear and laws against them. Though that is justice, it is nothing like what I wish I could do to them.”

Harry shivered at those words, for he could imagine the havoc the angry Elemental Master could wreak if he so chose. He could send a tornado or a hurricane to flatten the Dursleys’ house or an earthquake to swallow it or a fire to burn it to the ground. But he would restrain himself, for such was the control of an Elemental Master.

Harry was both grateful and not for that control; he wouldn’t have minded seeing an earthquake swallow the Dursley house, not after what they had done to him.

“Aww, I was hoping to see you summon up an earthquake,” he said wistfully.

“One to knock their house down around their ears?” suggested his grandfather. “The thought had crossed my mind several times. But such a thing would not only be very odd, since Surrey is not known for earthquakes, it would disturb the balance of the natural world and call attention to them magically, which is not what any of us want. It would be more satisfying, perhaps, but it would create problems with the Aurors and maybe even alert Dumbledore. We’re trying to keep a low profile here and avoid getting your name connected with anything remotely to do with Harry Potter.”

“Not even a small one?” Harry pleaded.

“Maybe a small one,” Augustus allowed. Then he returned to eating his own breakfast of scrambled eggs, ham, and toast. “Finish your breakfast.”

Harry took another bite of his pancake and looked out the window at the snow swirling in the wind and another question occurred to him. “Grandfather, will I be an Elementalist too now that I’ve been adopted in the family?”

Augustus looked thoughtful. “Well, Henry, I can’t rightly say. The Elemental gift is a very rare one and sometimes skips generations even when you’re born to a family in the usual way. I’ve never known it to show up in a blood adopted child, but that doesn’t mean it can’t. Like the weather, the gift is often unpredictable. But you might not start showing signs until you’re almost finished with school. Or later.”

“How will I know?”

“Oh, you’ll know. You’ll feel an overwhelming affinity to the element that you shall master.”

“What element do you think I would be a master of?”

“Hmm . . .Sometimes I see that you might be good with fire, since fire is often reckless and you have a temper as well as auburn hair. But other times . . .your skill on a broom and love for heights suggests a bond with Air. It’s impossible to tell until it happens.”

“I would hope I was an Air Master.”

Augustus chuckled, for many children wished for an Elementalist Gift at Harry’s age.

Severus was just as fervently wishing the opposite. He had enough to do with Harry when the boy was up to normal mischief, Merlin only knew what he’d be like with a Wind Mastery.

Once they had all finished up breakfast, Augustus led them over to the fireplace and brought the Floo Network to life. He then had it connect to the Dursley residence at number 4 Privet Drive, after first making sure they had a fireplace available. If not, then they would fly there using a place locator charm.

But this way, Severus thought wickedly, there would be more of a shock. He was looking forward to shocking that bitch Petunia out of the rest of her life. She had always hated him when they were children and was forever threatening to tell on him for using magic or teaching Lily about it, for she knew how Tobias hated it. “Then you’ll get the thrashing you deserve, Snape!” she would hiss and her pallid blue eyes would gleam with glee. “You unnatural freak!”

But time had now proven who the “unnatural freak” was, and it was not him.

“I’ll go first, Grandfather,” he volunteered, then he tossed down a handful of green powder and called out, “Number 4 Privet Drive!”

Green flames whooshed up as high as his head, and he carefully stepped through them, followed moments later by Augustus and Harry.

Normally Floo travel was swift and economical, but that morning it was not, perhaps because this was recent connection, but whatever the reason, the Network spat them out with a loud KABOOM!

Right onto the living room hearth, amid chunks of plaster and soot and wood chips. The two Snapes and Augustus began to cough loudly as they had inhaled some of the soot. Their arrival had been so violent that the wall behind the fireplace suddenly sported massive cracks and pieces of it had tumbled down.

They heard a boy’s voice yelling, “Mum, come quick! The fireplace just exploded! Bloody hell, look at the mess!” He sounded more excited than upset, because normally messes were not a part of the daily routine at Privet Drive.

“Dudley, you know I don’t like that language!” came a woman’s reproving voice.

“Dad says it,” whined the boy. “C’mon, you gotta see it! Wonder how it happened?”

“Duddy, please tell me you weren’t lighting firecrackers in the fireplace again.”

“I wasn’t, Mum. I already did that last week.”

Harry wiped his eyes with his sleeve and thought His mum lets him light off firecrackers in the house? I’d never get away with that!

There were still clouds of soot and dust from the broken plaster settling all over the new Aubusson carpet and white chintz sofa and loveseat when the three wizards straightened up and brushed their clothes off. They had just taken a few steps away from the fireplace, which looked like a bomb had hit it, when Petunia rushed into the room, trailed by Dudley, her narrow pinched face filled with disbelief and horror.

“Oh! Oh! Oh!” was all she could manage to get out at first. Then her blue eyes widened as she saw who was standing there and she screamed, “Who are you and what are you doing in my house? Get out before I call the police!”

“How’d you get in here?” demanded Dudley, eying Harry curiously. He was a tall plump child with a shock of very blond hair, round cheeks, and was dressed in jeans and a T-shirt that had stains on it from lunchtime.

“Through the fireplace,” answered Harry, giving his cousin a look that said obviously.

“People can’t travel by fireplace. What are you, cracked?”

“Don’t look now, but we just did.”

Petunia had one hand on her chest and was breathing rapidly, her bosom heaving beneath her printed rosebud dress with the real lace about the sleeves. “Get out, or I’ll dial the cops!”

“By all means do so, Petunia,” drawled Severus, his eyes hard. “They ought to be here to witness the miraculous return of your beloved nephew, Harry Potter.”

“You’re a liar, Severus Snape!” she spat. “Harry is dead, he was kidnapped and murdered . . .”Her eyes darted to the boy standing next to the tall wizard and then she went pale as a sheet. “No . . .no . . .it’s not possible . . .you’re dead . . .nobody could have survived the cold that night . . .”

“Hello, Aunt Petunia,” Harry said, glaring at her. “Remember me?”

Petunia let out a shriek and then her eyes rolled up in the back of her head and she fainted, landing on the floor with a thump.

“Mum! Oh my God!” Dudley cried. He knelt beside his mother , shaking her. “Mum, wake up!”

“Allow me,” Severus said icily, and he pointed his wand at the unconscious Petunia and a jet of water shot out, striking her right in the face.

“Hey! You leave my mum alone, whoever you are!” Dudley cried, looking like he wanted to tackle Severus.

“He’s your uncle and I’m your cousin,” Harry told him helpfully. “And this man over here is my grandpa.”

“But . . .but I don’t have a cousin,” Dudley stammered, totally confused.

Petunia coughed and woke. “Ahhh! Why am I all soaking wet?” She quickly climbed to her feet, shooting a loathsome look at Severus. “More of your fiendish magic, Snape? You haven’t changed a bit. Still the same sneaking slimy kid from the gutter.”

Severus’ lip curled. “I could say the same about you, Petunia. Still a coldhearted miserable hag who doesn’t even have the decency to see that your own sister’s child is taken care of properly! Lily must be turning over in her grave to see what you did to him—leaving him to freeze to death in an outdoor nativity in a manger on Christmas Eve! So much for your Christian charity, eh?”

Petunia went white, her face drained of all color. “No . . .that’s not true . . .he was kidnapped . . .”

“Don’t bother with the lies, woman!” Augustus said sharply, his wand in his hand, his face hard as stone. “We know the truth, not that cock-and-bull story you fed Dumbledore and the papers about some fake kidnapping from a Muggle child molester! My grandson Severus was the one who found the baby in the manger and saved him from death. We know it all, you didn’t really think you could hide it forever, now did you?” He fastened his gaze on her and Petunia trembled, for the Elemental Master’s eyes seemed to see right through her, into the depths of her soul.

Dudley gaped, then cried, “I’m calling Daddy!” He bolted off to fetch the phone down the hall and dial his father, who was down at his men’s club celebrating the holiday with darts and beer.

“How dare you freaks come here and demand an explanation from me?” hissed Petunia, her eyes glittering wildly with desperation. All these years and now her past had come back to haunt her in the form of an auburn haired waif that looked eerily like her dead sister.

For the first time, Harry spoke, giving vent to the cauldron of anger, hurt, and betrayal seething within him. “How dare you just throw me in a manger and leave me like I was last week’s trash, Aunt?” Things began to shake in the room and a lamp toppled over, mute testimony to the battle raging in the young wizard’s chest. “What did I ever do to you? I was your nephew, your blood, I was a baby! Why did you ever do such a . . .horrible thing?” He felt tears pressing behind his eyes, but he used the anger to dry them before they could fall. He would rather die than show how much she had hurt him.

Petunia flinched as though he had slapped her. Then she drew herself up and returned his glare with one of her own. “You unnatural child! I never wanted to raise you—that crackpot old man dumped you on my doorstep along with the milk and just expected me to take you in. Fool! I had married to get away from all of the unnatural things and people my sister brought into the house—including that one!” Her finger stabbed at Severus. “I warned her that no good would come of her attending that school, but did she listen? No, of course not! Then she married another of her unnatural kind and bred you! And then she had the nerve to get herself blown away and leave me with her brat! I knew there was something freaky about you the minute I laid eyes on you. You had that . . .that Mark on you, like the mark of the devil, and those eerie green eyes like a cat’s, and I just knew you would grow up to be a freak monster like her! And I had a son and I didn’t want you to taint him with your freakishness!”

“So . . .you left me to die,” Harry said in a very small voice. Then he added, “Now who’s the monster?”

Several glass figurines sitting on a shelf exploded into fragments as the young sorcerer’s magic lashed out.

Petunia screamed and cringed. “There, you see! You’re just like your mother, she could always do odd things like that too! And my parents loved her for it! She was always their darling, while I was ignored. But not anymore! Now I’m the one who’s got it all—a beautiful home, a perfect family, and plenty of money, and where is she? Food for the worms—pah!” she spat on the ground. “That’s what trafficking with magic gets you!”

“You’re wrong!” Harry shouted, his eyes blazing. “You don’t know the first thing about magic, bitch!”

Several stuffed pillows upon the sofa shredded themselves.

“You’re the unnatural one, not my papa and grandpa! They didn’t abandon a helpless baby to die in a manger.”

The front door slammed and Vernon charged into the living room, clutching a shot gun. He stopped dead when he saw the three wizards. “Who the bloody hell are you? If you’ve laid so much as a finger on my wife, I’ll blow your head off!” He started to raise the gun.

Only to have the gun wrenched from his hands and bent into the shape of a pretzel in midair, then dropped at Vernon’s feet.

“Never ever threaten my family, Muggle!” Augustus thundered.

He seemed to grow a foot in an instant, and power radiated from him like a blast furnace.

Petunia grabbed Vernon and began crying hysterically. “Vernon, it’s them! They found out what we did, about the manger, and they’ve brought him back to us!” She pointed a trembling finger at Harry.

Vernon went pale. “He was supposed to die!”

“But he didn’t,” Augustus growled, and suddenly the earth shook beneath his feet and more plaster crumbled from the wall.

The Dursleys screamed as tremors rocked the house.

Abruptly, Vernon freed himself from Petunia and started towards the hallway, yelling, “Hold on, pet! I’m calling the police!”

“Wrong.” Augustus stated chillingly.

Vernon was plucked from the floor and hung dangling in midair, his legs and arms windmilling frantically. “Help! Help!”

An invisible hand carried him by the collar of his jacket and plopped him down upon the couch, whose arm suddenly came alive and wrapped about him, holding him fast.

A shrieking Petunia was given the same treatment.

The only one who was let be was Dudley, who was crouching in the doorway, watching in mute terror.

“Silence!” Severus snarled and the screaming and threats stopped.

Augustus walked over to them, still cloaked in that awful majesty, and glowered down upon them. Gone was the indulgent occasionally strict grandpa Harry had always known. In his place was the tough-as-dragonhide Auror, about to interrogate suspects. He did not even bother drawing his wand.

“Now. I am going to ask you some questions, which you will answer truthfully and promptly. Don’t attempt to lie, for I will know if you do so, and then . . .” he trailed off and a rumbling tremor shook the house. “Nod if you understand me.”

Both Dursleys started nodding like marionettes.

Severus canceled the Silence charm.

“Did you intentionally and with malice aforethought leave Harry Potter, your blood nephew, in a manger on Christmas Eve ten years ago?”

“Yes.” Petunia snapped.

“I did. Only way to get rid of the brat,” replied Vernon, glaring daggers at all the wizards, especially Harry.

“Were you aware that the weather was such that Harry Potter would have died if someone did not take him?”

Again, the two replied affirmatively.

“So, you knowingly committed murder,” Augustus stated. “Or would have but for the grace of God. And this was not the first time you mistreated your nephew, was it?”

“We locked him in the cupboard a few times when he wouldn’t quit bellowing,” Vernon sneered. “It’s where freaks like him belonged.”

“I gave him Dudley’s old cast offs and one bottle a day, why bother wasting good money on a creature like that?”

“So you neglected and starved him before deciding to get rid of him altogether? Your sister’s child and you never once showed him an ounce of love and kindness. Why not?”

Vernon shrugged. “I had enough with my own, didn’t need no other damn kid to raise.”

“How could I love the unnatural spawn of magic? Might as well love a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe.”

There came a sudden clap of thunder and both Petunia and Vernon jumped, or tried to.

Augustus’ face was dark with fury.

“And you dare to call us unnatural? Even a mother serpent cares for her own. Not only did you attempt to murder your nephew, woman, but you invented a false story to cover up your actions, and you also continued taking money for your nephew’s upkeep for over two years, is that not also true?”

“Err . . .yes!” Vernon said. “We deserved compensation for feeding and clothing the little bugger for three months.”

“Compensation?” Augustus laughed harshly. “For what? Some rags and a measly bottle of formula every day? Maybe a few nappies? Such an expense! You got over a thousand pounds a month for Harry Potter’s upkeep. What did you do with it?”

“I invested half in the stock market. Made a killing,” Vernon declared proudly. “Used the rest for Dudley’s private school and to take a few trips with Pet to the islands and fix up the house some.”

“And how much is left of that money?”

Vernon’s brow furrowed. “Quite a bit.”

“I see. You committed neglect, fraud and attempted murder, all so you could be rid of one small baby who had never done you any harm. You are despicable! Cowards who deserve to be flung into a deep hole and buried alive! Wicked creatures who ought to be devoured by manticores a piece at a time.”

Petunia began to sob and Vernon to tremble.

“Were I not a believer in justice, I would happily do one or more of those things to both of you. You would take a long time to die.” The Elemental Master said coldly. “But I have standards and morals, unlike you. Our law states we cannot kill Muggles unless in self-defense. Therefore I shall turn you over to your own authorities and see what they make of you.” He turned to Dudley, who was staring at his parents as if they were strangers, silent tears trickling down his face. “You, boy, call those police of yours! Now!”

Dudley leaped up and raced for the phone.

Augustus drew his wand then and waved it over the two. “You shall confess all to the police when they arrive. I will also make arrangements for your son and see if the police can repay at least some of the money you illegally gained, or whoever is responsible for taking care of such matters. When I am through with you, you shall be lucky to be wearing the clothes you have on,” he said grimly. “And none of you shall be able to say a word about wizards or magic to anyone.” He traced an eternity symbol in the air, it glowed for a moment, then vanished.

* * * * * *

When the police arrived a few minutes later, they found the Dursleys sitting on the couch, Petunia sobbing silently.

Most of the mess had been cleaned up and Severus led Harry over to the officers and began to tell them what had occurred, using his Water Elemental powers of persuasion at full force. The police were appalled and questioned Vernon and Petunia harshly.

The Dursleys condemned themselves by their own tongues, unable to speak anything but the complete unvarnished truth.

The police wrote everything down and also recorded it with small micro recorders for evidence. Then they slapped Petunia and Vernon with a set of cuffs and dragged them from the house and into the squad car waiting outside.

Petunia began to wail about leaving her poor Duddikins until one of the policemen shook her and growled, “Lady, after what you did, you don’t deserve to have kids! Now shut the bloody hell up and get in the car!”

Augustus accompanied them to the station, making sure that the trial was put on top priority and Severus went to each of the neighbors that was home and Obliviated some of their memories, putting a false one on their place of Vernon and Petunia getting arrested for mistreating their son.

Dudley was in shock and all he did was curl up on the couch and stare at Harry. “It’s all true. They really did try to . . .get rid of you, didn’t they? It’s not just some kind of sick joke?”

Harry shook his head. He felt sorry for the other boy. “No. I really am your cousin. My mum was your mum’s sister. And when they were killed, I was sent here to live with you. I don’t really remember it and neither do you, I guess. But everything happened like they said.”

Dudley shook his head. “It just seems . . .so unbelievable. But I heard them . . .they both said they meant for you to . . .freeze . . .” He began to cry. “What’s gonna happen to me now?”

Severus re-entered the house just as Dudley asked that question. He came over to the sniveling youngster and knelt down and said quietly, “Have you any relatives that would be willing to take you in? If not, the court shall place you in a foster facility.”

Dudley thought for a moment. “There’s my Aunt Marge, Dad’s older sister. She’s got no kids, and she has lots of money. She might be willing to take me.”

“Good. We shall mention that to the police when they return here. In the meantime, I shall call her. What’s her number?”

Dudley told him.

Some twenty minutes later, Marge arrived and helped Dudley pack and spoke with the police who had returned by then to see to Dudley. She agreed to take her nephew to live with her, seeing as it was likely that her brother and sister-in-law were going to be staring at the inside of a jail cell for years to come. Marge had known nothing about what had really happened to Harry and though a hard woman, she too was shocked that Vernon and Petunia had done such to a small baby.

“He was a quiet thing, and even if they didn’t want him no more, they could’ve given him to the Sisters of St. Bertha’s to take care of. She shook her head. “Come along, Dudders.” She sailed out of the house with Dudley in tow, a bulldog tucked under an arm. Neither she nor Dudley knew that Severus had silently cast a spell on them that made them unable to mention what had happened to anyone unless questioned directly by a policeman.

Augustus returned from the station, having charmed the law enforcement to speed up the trial and it was almost guaranteed a guilty verdict, since the Dursleys had made an all-out confession about their crimes. “They’ll be in there for life, and all the money they took shall be returned to you, Harry, and the account emptied. This house shall be foreclosed upon by the bank and the two fancy cars out there repossessed as well. Whatever’s left will go to their son, but that will be barely enough to see him through school. His aunt will have to provide the rest.”

“How about the papers?”

“They will run a short piece for a week, nothing on the front page. With luck, people will forget about it in a week or two, and Dumbledore will never get wind of it. It was the best I could do. I shall check back tomorrow and see what the verdict is.” Augustus said, smiling wolfishly. “Oh, and one more thing. I have cast a Dream Haunting upon them as well. Every few days they will be visited in their cell by the vengeful spirits of James and Lily Potter, who will torment them for the entire night and force them to feel every bit of the terror and pain little Henry felt as he lay in the manger.”

“How long will that last?”

Augustus shrugged. “Until they repent or ten years go by, whichever comes first.”

“You make a dangerous enemy, Grandfather.”

“Only if you hurt a member of my family,” replied the sorcerer. He went and hugged Harry. “How are you, my Henry?”

“Okay, I guess.” Harry said. He was relieved that the Dursleys would be made to pay for their crimes, but he felt kind of sorry for Dudley. He turned to Severus. “Papa, would it be okay if I . . .wrote to Dudley once in awhile? I mean, he is my cousin, and I . . .wouldn’t mind getting to know him better. He didn’t look like he agreed with what his parents did and maybe if he got to know me, he wouldn’t get mad that we made the police arrest his parents.”

Severus thought carefully before he replied, “I think you need to give Dudley a little time to come to terms with what’s happened before you start writing him. But after a week or two you may try and correspond with him, first by using the Muggle post and then if he seems to accept you, you may send letters by owl post.”

“Could he maybe visit at Foxfire Hall sometime?”

“We’ll see, son.” He patted Harry on the shoulder. “Your mother and James would be proud of you today. You behaved with admirable restraint and you don’t hold Dudley responsible for the crimes of his parents.”

“Why should I?” Harry asked. “He was a baby too.”

“Very true. I’m proud of you too, Harry. Shall we go home? It’s nearly lunchtime, I believe, and Lina will box all of our ears if we miss it.”

Harry smiled up at him. He felt as if he had regained a little missing piece of himself, and even though the things Petunia had said to him had been beyond dreadful, at least he no longer had to wonder if it was his fault they had dumped him in the manger. And he was now doubly grateful he had been found by Severus and given a good home and a family. He shuddered to think of what might have been had Petunia decided to keep her unwanted nephew. In a way, they had done him a favor. And at least they had gotten what they deserved for their deed.

“Okay, Papa. Let’s go home.”

They Flooed back to Foxfire Hall, arriving just as Lina was setting out the plates and cups for lunch.

* * * * * *

The next morning, as he had promised, Augustus Apparated to the courthouse and watched as the trial of Vernon and Petunia Dursley was held. It was an open and shut case and the judge ruled in favor of Harry Potter and his guardians. The Dursleys were sentenced to life in prison and all their ill-gotten assets were given to Harry. Dudley was made the ward of one Marge Dursley and received whatever money the estate had left after paying back Harry. As Augustus predicted, it was just enough to give the youngest Dursley a decent life, but nothing like the affluence he had been accustomed to before. Marge Dursley was well-off, and the boy would not lack for any necessity, but he would not be the pampered prince he had been before. And perhaps, just perhaps, the revelations about his parents would make him a more compassionate and thoughtful individual, one who strove to be everything his greedy heartless parents were not.

Chapter End Notes:
Well, what did you think of the Dursleys getting what they deserved?

And how did you like the talk between Augustus and Severus?

Next: Some romance occurs between the Potions Master and Sandra, and Harry learns a bit about matters of the heart by asking Severus awkward questions.