Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus discusses some important things with Harry and dates again for the first time in over fifteen years!
Holly and Ivy

The morning after the Dursleys’ trial, Severus received a letter delivered by a midnight-colored owl. It was from Zandra Malfoy.

Dear Mr. Snape:

I am writing this in regards to your letter, which I received just before Christmas, and due to family obligations have not had a chance to respond to until now. I know you probably believe that I am some Quidditch-obsessed incompetent teacher, though I assure you that was not always the case. I was delighted to discover Harry’s natural talent on a broom and his fabulous reflexes and that was why I decided to place him as my Reserve Seeker. I had asked the Headmaster’s permission before doing so and he approved it. I see now that perhaps I should have asked yours as well, and apologize for not doing so.

Originally, I had never intended to allow Harry to play in more than one game and attend practice, for a Reserve is normally never called to play matches unless the worst happens. And the worst DID happen—I lost my Seeker to a bout of pneumonia not two games into the season. I put Harry in one match, just to see how he did . . .and he was amazing. I then asked him if he thought he could handle playing and his schoolwork and he said he could. He seems like a very intelligent young man and I figured if he couldn’t handle it, he would come and tell me.

I then became extremely busy myself with teaching and brewing and yes, overseeing Quidditch, since Professor Hooch took a holiday in the middle of the term, and so did not keep as keen an eye on him as I should have.

I was not aware of any failure on his part to turn in homework or difficulty concentrating or taking tests in other classes until over midway through the term. When I drew him aside to talk to him, and offered help and to reduce his practice time so he could study, he grew upset and promised he would do better, and I took him at his word.

I was too lenient and should have arranged study times myself, but soon Quidditch was in full swing and to my shame, I am rather obsessed with it myself. But he did well in Potions and I assumed he was doing alright in other subjects until the last week of November, when Minerva told me he was failing Transfiguration. I was horrified and called him into my office and he told me that he had a tutor to help him from Ravenclaw and I also tried to help him, but unfortunately it had gone on too long and Minerva was not inclined to grant him any kind of leeway.

I was very unhappy with him and with myself for missing his obvious decline, and I assure you I do have high academic standards for my House and could kick myself for this mess.

I do humbly apologize and will endeavor to keep a sharp eye on him next term and request frequent updates on his progress in other classes from my colleagues. I will also do as you suggest and put him on probation. I can also keep you informed of his status by weekly letters, that way if you feel he’s slacking, you can encourage him to do better and I shall back you up.

I am most grateful you did not inform the Board and Professor Dumbledore of my blunder, as I really do enjoy working at Hogwarts and teaching potions. I am embarrassed that a man whom I admire for his skill with a cauldron felt the need to scold me like a child and again I apologize.

Respectfully,

Professor Zandra Malfoy

Potions Mistress

Head of Slytherin House

Hogwarts

The sincere apology given by Zandra put Severus in a wonderful mood, and he felt better about sending Harry back to school in January knowing that his Head of House would cooperate and keep a watch over his son. That was all he really cared about, that Harry was safe and happy, and in this particular instance, more the former than the latter.

He was in such high spirits that he managed to overcome his reticence and actually call Sandra and invite her out for dinner, leaving Harry and Augustus at the manor to eat and have some time together themselves. Augustus was teaching Harry how to play Wizard Chess and backgammon and the Eye-Mind game—a memory game that tested how sharp your memory was for seeing things once and remembering what, where, and in what sequence you saw the object. It was a teaching tool used at the Auror Academy and taught trainees to be observant and increased their memory tenfold. It started with ten objects, placed at random around a room or held in a person’s hand. You had four minutes to look at them and then they vanished, or seemed to, and the object was to see how many you could recall after one look, and you were timed as well.

So far, Harry hadn’t yet managed to get all ten, nor beat Augustus, who could do thirty-five objects at a glance. But then the skill took practice, and not even Severus was as good as his grandfather yet. He could get twenty-five.

Augustus explained that learning that game was vital to an Auror investigating a scene, so they could recreate it later and if it happened to be disturbed, it wouldn’t be a disaster on a case.

When Severus informed them he was taking Sandra out to dinner, Augustus winked knowingly, the old fox, and Harry smirked.

“Way to go, Papa! Break a leg.”

Severus raised an eyebrow. “I’m not going on stage, Harry.”

“I know. I’d tell you to break . . .err. . .something else, but I’d rather not get killed.”

“Brat!” Severus cuffed him gently about the ears. “Behave for your grandfather.”

Harry gave him an I’m-innocent look. “I haven’t misbehaved for him since I was five!”

“Right. It’s only me you forget your manners with,” Severus groused. “I will see you later, Grandfather.”

“Have a good time, Severus,” the elder Prince beamed. “You deserve it.”

“Don’t stay out all night, sir!” Harry called, laughing.

“Harry, you are asking to be hung upside down and tickle-tortured,” Severus threatened, then he took the stairs up to his room to change for the date.

“Hush, lad,” Augustus reprimanded as Severus disappeared from view. “Don’t poke fun at him, he’s nervous enough as it is.”

Harry looked thunderstruck. His father, nervous? It seemed impossible. “Wonder what they’ll talk about? Potions?”

“Possibly, since she shares that interest with him,” Augustus agreed. “Enough, boy! Look at these five objects here,” he gestured to a quill, a golden sphere, and several other inanimate objects. Then he waved a hand and the objects blinked out. “Now, what were they and where were they?”

“One was a golden sphere and you stuck it up your sleeve.”

“I most certainly did not . . .”

* * * * * *

Severus took Sandra to a Muggle restaurant that was about twenty minutes from the manor proper, it served delicious cuisine and was a favorite of his and Harry’s when they chose to dine out while shopping for Christmas presents. It was small but cozy and was not too fancy so as to make you uncomfortable while eating, and featured a steak pie that was to die for.

Severus was dressed semi-casually in neatly pressed dark brown slacks and an ivory pullover with a beige collared shirt beneath it, thus avoiding the need for a coat. At first he worried that Sandra wouldn’t like the restaurant, but she merely smiled and said, “I’m sure it’s fine, Severus. I don’t go much for all those fancy places where you have to count the silverware before you figure out what fork is used for salad and which for the main dish. This place reminds me of a little eatery where I grew up in Manchester.”

Severus sighed inwardly in relief and escorted her inside. She was wearing a pretty printed skirt with sprays of holly all over it and a matching cashmere jumper, sensible black pumps and little gold bell earrings. Her hair was pulled away from her face, but then left to flow in a tangle of curls down her back.

Severus found that look particularly attractive on her, the upswept style was too severe for her face, which was round. She was an entirely different-looking woman from Lily, dark-haired, tall and curved, Lily had been slight and willowy and she had had very noticeable fiery auburn hair, like her son, although Harry’s had darkened as he had grown, till now it was a deep ember color. He found he enjoyed the contrast, and hoped that this time around would end differently from last time.

After they were seated in a cozy corner table near the window and had ordered a glass of chardonnay each, they began chatting about innocuous things. Her shop and his new experimental potions. She asked how Harry was doing and Augustus as well, he was touched by her concern over his family, and asked about her own. Only to discover that she had lost her parents as well, her father to an accident on a broom while playing a friendly game of Quidditch with a friend, a Bludger had caught him on the temple, killing him instantly; her mother followed within the year, unable to cope without her husband.

“I was seventeen and a wreck, I went to live with my Uncle Morris, who ran Slug and Jiggers, and worked for him and actually managed to put myself back together brewing potions. It calmed me and helped me to deal with my loss. And when he died, he left the shop to me instead of my cousins. They never wanted to work there anyway, my cousin Libra hated potions and anything to do with them, she ended up moving to Scotland and becoming a tour guide there. And my cousin Mark was never interested either, he runs a clothing shop in Hogsmeade. But it was all for the best, since we all ended up doing what we liked best.”

“That’s important, because if you don’t, you generally tend to be miserable and make others miserable as well,” said Severus.

They ordered dinner, he had the steak pie and she had a stuffed chicken breast, and both enjoyed their dinner immensely. They each had a piece of cherry pie and argued a bit over paying the bill. (Severus won)

“That was delicious, Severus. I haven’t tasted food that good since my Mum passed. Now I’m so stuffed I can hardly move!”

“Would you care to take a walk on the grounds? I find a walk helps the digestion,” Severus asked, then could have kicked himself for sounding like a Healer. Some romantic he was!

“I would love to,” she agreed. “Foxfire Hall is known for its gardens.”

“Yes. My grandmother loved gardening and so does my grandfather. With his Earth Mastery, he can make a tree grow out of a stone if he wanted.” He gently took her arm and they Apparated back to the manor.

They began to walk across the back lawn, with Severus pointing out the orchard where all kinds of fruit were grown and the large pond where they skated in winter and swam in the summer.

Abruptly, Sandra stumbled, her heel catching on a tussock. “Oh, I’m such an idiot!” she cried, as Severus grabbed her, her face flaming. “I should have changed my shoes.”

He gestured and her shoes became suede half-boots, lined with sheepskin. “Better? Forgive me, I should have suggested it myself.” He held her a little longer before letting her go.

She gazed out at the snowy landscape and the star-studded sky and said, “I love the winter. Sometimes it can be cold and harsh, but if you look closely, you’ll find it has a rare beauty.”

“Yes.” He began walking again, not wanting her to get chilled.

She leaned into him. “Do you like stargazing, Severus?”

“Yes,” he replied, though the thing he most wished to gaze upon was right here on the ground.

They walked a bit further, naming constellations and recalling their old Astronomy teacher, Professor Nighthawk, with fond exasperation. Professor Nighthawk was famous for his endless homework assignments, though he had retired several years ago.

“I’ve heard you’re a Water Master,” Sandra began.

“I am,” Severus said warily, wondering just what she had heard about them. “Although I haven’t yet mastered everything my Talent can do. That will take years.” He looked at her. “Are you cold?”

“Just a little.”

“Let’s go back to Drusilla’s garden,” he suggested. “Take my hand.”

She did and the cold no longer chilled her. “Is that . . .?”

“Part of my Mastery? Yes. And here is another part,” he wrapped an arm about her waist and began to snowglide across the lawn.

Sandra grinned and laughed as they slipped across the snow, arriving breathless and panting at the garden gate. “Oh, heavens! That was wonderful. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had so much fun. Your Talent is amazing.”

Severus blushed unused to such praise. He opened the gate and they stepped from winter into spring, as the enchantment upon the garden made the weather always warm for the flowers and fig trees and ivy that grew here. They sat down on one of the padded stone benches and Severus asked if she would like a cup of mulled cider.

“That was also a specialty of my grandmother’s.” He told her, then he called softly for Lina.

The little elf appeared and bowed to them, then giggled and whispered, “Master Sev, it’s about time!”

She blinked away before he could scold her for her impertinence.

“About time for what?” asked Sandra.

“Never mind,” Severus muttered, flushing. He had forgotten that nothing that occurred at Foxfire Hall was secret for long, the two elves knew almost everything that happened beneath the manor’s roof.

Lina returned with their drinks, and they sat there, slowly sipping them. Minutes passed, until Severus could no longer stand the silence, and asked, “Would you mind, Sandra, if I asked you a rather personal question?”

She looked up at him curiously. “No. Not at all.”

He paused, then said, “I couldn’t help but wonder what it was about me that made you . . .wait so long for me to notice you? I am sure that you must have had many other suitors, men who were far more handsome and who weren’t obsessed with potions and who . . .didn’t have a child to raise. And, as you know very well, I can be oblivious as a post sometimes. If I had been you, I’d have hit me over the head with a cauldron long before now. I mean, I am hardly the most eligible bachelor wizard in Britain.”

“To me, you are,” she whispered, clutching her mug tighter. But despite the sudden fluttering in her stomach, she lifted her eyes and met his gaze steadily. “Doubtless you’ll think me a silly romantic twit, but you did ask,” she reminded him, biting her lip nervously. He remained quiet, save for a small nod, his dark eyes alight with interest. Clearing her throat, she said, “When I was thirteen, and suffering through my first crush on a boy—a fifth-year Quidditch player—I asked my mother how you knew when you truly loved a man. Here’s what she told me. You know it’s true love when you feel an invisible connection in his presence, sort of like the connection you felt when you picked up your wand for the first time. You also know it’s the real thing when the attraction you feel does not waver, or fade, or get forgotten, even if you’ve not set eyes on him in months. And when you see him next, it’s like you were looking at him for the very first time all over again. That’s how I felt when you walked into my shop that first time to purchase scarab beetles, I think it was. A part of me said—look, that man standing there is the one you’ve been waiting for all of your life. And it didn’t matter that you were two years younger, or the heir to a great family, or even than you had a child. I thought at first you were married and even then I still dreamed of being with you.” She admitted, flushing.

“Go on,” he urged.

“Later, I learned you were a widower, and I thought, if I am patient, one day he’ll notice me, I don’t care how long it takes. Because that’s the other thing my mother told me. Love can’t be coerced, it must happen on its own, freely. And each one must recognize the other. Then and only then will there be a true union of heart, mind, and body.” She took a sip of her cider. “Well, I had recognized you long ago, Severus. I was simply waiting for you to see me. When your grandfather issued that invitation, I decided that was my chance to make you see more than the apothecary in her black robes. So I took it, and here we are.”

She smiled uncertainly at him. Did he think she was a twit for telling him all of that? But no, he had asked her.

He clasped her left hand in his, and the touch of his fingers upon hers sent a quiver throughout her. Warmth flowed through her and for an instant she was tempted to give into her desire and kiss him again as she had done on Christmas. But she restrained herself. This time, she would let him set the pace.

“Here we are indeed,” he said quietly, gently caressing the back of her hand. “You must think me a blind fool, not to see what’s been right in front of my face for years. And you would be right. I made myself look away, because I felt I wasn’t free to start a relationship while raising my son. Also, there were other considerations . . .” he hesitated. Should he tell her the truth about Harry? Or should he wait until he was surer of her discretion?

Years of being closemouthed urged him to keep his silence. For now. He had time to go slowly. Sandra wasn’t going anywhere. She believed he was meant for her. Those words made him grow warm and the ring of ice he had sheathed his heart in the afternoon Lily had walked away began to melt.

Augustus was right. The past was prologue. It was time to start anew. Very slowly, he brought his hand up and caressed her cheek.

“And now?”

“Now my time is my own, and I choose to spend it with you.”

Her opposite hand came up and cupped his cheek. Their eyes met and in them flared something hot and wild, like magic unleashed, and in that instant there was no more hesitation or awkwardness.

He drew her to him, and she lifted her face to him, and their lips met.

As before, he found himself responding to her with a passion he had never known he possessed. He had only kissed Lily before this, but he soon discovered kissing Sandra was as unlike that first fumbling awkward adolescent kiss as a raindrop was to the ocean. There was no awkwardness here, because he already knew the most important thing of all—she wanted him. With Lily there had never been that assurance, he had loved her, but was always uncertain if she returned his feelings. With Sandra there was no doubt.

She kissed him back with all of the pent up desire and longing she had been feeling for four years, the way she had never kissed a man in her life. It was both exhilarating and frightening and delightful. A part of her wondered in dazed amazement if it was always like this. The one or two times she had allowed boys to kiss her at school had never felt this way—all-consuming, breathless, she was swept away by a tidal wave of emotion, and all she could do was ride the crest until he drew away.

“I’ve never . . .” he began.

“Me either . . .” she whispered. Then she smiled and said, laughing, “I guess my mum was right after all.”

He laughed huskily. “So was my grandfather.” Then he lifted his mug in a toast. “Here’s to us, come what may.”

“Here’s to us, and a new beginning.”

They clinked mugs and drank, unaware of a pair of green eyes that watched through a crack in the curtains.

* * * * * *

Harry hadn’t intended to see that, he had simply been bored after Augustus had stopped playing the Eye Mind game and had gone into his study to work on some business documents. It was not yet bedtime, he was allowed to stay up on holiday until ten, and even though he was grounded, Severus hadn’t changed that. Harry was grateful.

But after an hour or so of puttering around in his room, trying out new spells, or at least the incantations, since he wasn’t allowed to use magic outside of school, and reading a bit, he decided to go down and look out at the garden. Drusilla’s garden had always fascinated him, it was a living breathing entity all of its own, and it had been made with loving care by the great-grandmother he wished he could have known. From what Augustus said of her, he knew they would have gotten on like a house on fire. Augustus had shown him pictures of her and spoke of her often, but Harry didn’t ask too many questions because he knew sometimes it upset his grandfather to speak of her.

So he had gone down to the conservatory and looked out of the window, expecting to see flowers and shrubs and trees. What he didn’t expect was to see his father and Sandra kissing again. He had frozen for an instant, then quickly jerked back, almost falling on his bottom. Merlin, but did they have to do that all the time now? What was it with adults and kissing?

He had heard some of the older boys whispering about snogging—as they called it—and hot girls and once he’d woken up from a nightmare and overheard Captain Flint discussing something about wands and cauldrons to another boy that hadn’t made a whole lot of sense to him. It was very confusing. So far he didn’t think he would ever feel like kissing a girl, not even Susannah Smithers. She was cute and he liked her, but not enough to do that.

He quickly scurried up the stairs and called Lina to bring him a glass of warm milk and some gingerbread. Then he thanked her and sat down at his desk to eat and drink his snack. If you kissed a girl twice did that mean you liked her or loved her? Did it mean that his papa was going to marry her?

If he did marry her, I’d have a mother. Sort of. I wonder what that would be like?

Were all mothers like Annamaria Zabini, who liked to cook and bake and scold Blaise for running about without a jacket and shoes and playing Goblins and Ogres in the house? He liked Annamaria, even if she sometimes called him “poor baby” in Italian and pinched his cheek. She always made the best pasta and always told him “Mangia, mangia!” when he ate over there and gave him second helpings.

Would she be strict sometimes, like Gran was with Neville, and would he have to obey her like he did Severus?

He drank the last of his milk and set the glass on his desk. Lina would pick it up tomorrow. All the questions inside of his head swirled about and made his head hurt. He decided to go to bed. He could think about mothers tomorrow.

* * * * * *

But the next morning he woke up with a scratchy throat and a runny nose and congestion in his chest. He came down for breakfast, only to eat and then be ordered right back to bed by Severus. Harry had not been sick in a long time and he tried to protest, but his father would have none of it. Severus made him take a hot shower, gave him a mild PepperUp Draft, and had Lina bring him a tray with tea with honey and lemon as well as a glass of ice water.

Harry sulked. “Papa, I feel fine. I’m just sneezing.”

“You’ve caught a chest cold and if you’re not careful, you could get something worse, like bronchitis. Now you are to stay in bed and not get up except to use the bathroom. Lina will bring you more tea or water or whatever you need.”

“But I don’t want to stay in bed!” Harry argued. “I’m not sick—achoo!” His assertion was spoiled by a series of sneezes. He took the handkerchief Severus gave him and blew his nose. Then he repeated stubbornly, “I’m not sick.”

“Harry, don’t argue facts.” Severus said implacably. “Now go back to sleep or read, but don’t argue with me.”

Then he left before Harry could press the issue.

Harry flopped down on his bed. His calico woke from her nap, gave him a reproving look, then went back to sleep. He ran his hand over her fur. “I hate when he’s like this,” he told Hedwig, who was blinking sleepily on her perch. “I’m not sick, I just don’t feel all that great because my nose is running and my throat is sore. But it won’t kill me to go out and play in the snow for a bit. Honestly! He fusses worse than somebody’s grandmother.”

It was then he remembered the questions he had for Severus last night, and he thought about telling Lina to bring Severus back so he could ask them, but suddenly he started to feel sleepy. I’ll just close my eyes for a bit. That’s all. I’m not really tired . . .I just woke up . . .

In a moment, he was out like a light.

* * * * *

Unfortunately, Harry’s cold grew worse, and he developed a cough as well, and that meant another two days in bed. But by then he was too sick to care and stayed in bed willingly. Line brought him her special vegetable and chicken soup to eat and he had rounds of potions to take. Those he wasn’t so thrilled with and sometimes fought with Severus about taking, but he never won.

On the third day he was allowed out of bed for half the day, he slept away the morning and then came down for tea. That afternoon, Augustus was in a meeting over at Gringotts with his financial advisor, so Severus and Harry had tea alone. It was the perfect opportunity for Harry to ask some of the questions that had been puzzling him for three days.

But he was unsure where to begin, so he drank two cups of tea and ate some scones slathered with butter before he asked casually, “So, have you seen Sandra lately?”

“Not very much, since I was busy taking care of you,” Severus replied. “I saw her briefly in the shop when I stopped by to pick up more ingredients for my potions. She says she hope you feel better soon and gave me a box of Honeydukes chocolates to give you.” He produced a gold foil wrapped box of chocolates and handed them to his son. “Now mind you don’t eat yourself sick.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “I won’t.” He took the box and set it down next to his plate for later. Then he took a deep breath and asked, “Umm . . .I was wondering . . .if you kiss a girl more than twice, does that mean you love her? Because you kissed Sandra twice, so does that mean you’re going to marry her? If you do marry her, will you dip your wand in her caldron, because some guys at school said that’s what you do after you’re married to a hot girl.”

Severus spit his tea out all over the table and went into a coughing spasm for about five minutes after Harry’s barrage of questions.

He certainly had not expected those questions to come out of his son’s mouth right then. Although he supposed he should have, since now he was dating, that topic was bound to come up some time. It was only natural that Harry be curious and Severus had sidestepped the issue until now. He’s old enough to know about it, Severus. He wished Augustus were there to help explain it. Then, on second thought, he was glad the old man wasn’t there, to snicker at his fumbling attempts.

“Papa? Are you okay?”

“I’m . . .fine . . .”Severus wheezed, finally managing to get the spasms calmed down. “You just . . .took me by surprise, asking me those questions. When did you see Sandra kiss me?”

Harry blushed. “Last night. I went to look out the window of the conservatory at the garden and . . .I saw you.”

“Ah. Well, that’s what adults do when they’re . . .ah . . .attracted to each other.”

“Does it mean you love her?”

Severus coughed. “I . . .like Sandra very much. It’s a bit too early for me to say whether or not I love her. I need to get to know her better.”

“Does she love you?”

“I think she may,” Severus hedged.

“If you do love her, will you marry her?” Harry asked frankly.

“Probably yes. Why? Would it bother you if you had a mother?”

Harry thought about it. “Umm . . .not really. I mean, I never had a mother, least not one I can remember. Sandra’s nice, I like her. She could be my mother like you’re my father. It would be different . . .in a good way.”

“It would take some getting used to.” Severus agreed. “But right now, Harry, we’ve only just begun dating and we’re far from an engagement.”

“Huh? What’s that?”

“It’s when I propose marriage to her with a ring and she accepts.” Severus explained.

“Oh. And what’s with the wands and cauldrons?”

Severus flushed. He was almost hoping Harry would have forgotten that question. “Wands and cauldrons. Hmmm . . .well . . .that phrase you heard—”

“Dipping your wand in her cauldron,” Harry prompted helpfully.

“Yes . . .that doesn’t actually have anything to do with wands or cauldrons. It’s an another way of describing . . .sex. Which is how babies are made.” Oh, sweet Merlin, I sound like a blithering idiot! I need a handbook or something. He rose to his feet. “Stay here. I need to find a book in the library. I’ll be right back.”

“A book? Can’t you just tell me?”

“Yes . . .no . . .a book will make this much easier . . .something with medical illustrations . . .” Severus muttered, half to himself. How the hell do other parents do this? I should have asked Annamaria and Marco how they did it. What if I’m going about it all wrong? Then he’ll be confused and awkward. I wish I could just tell him the stork delivers babies!

Fifteen minutes later, Severus was showing Harry an anatomy book with illustrations of the male and female reproductive system. Harry was a little grossed out at first, but then he became interested in how a baby grew inside the uterus, and asked some very intelligent questions for which Severus didn’t know the answers to.

“Harry, why don’t you read the chapter in this book? It will explain all of that.”

“All right,” he agreed.

Severus then went on to detail a few other things, like contraceptive potions and charms, he figured he might as well go the distance, because he would only have to answer questions later.

By then Harry was blushing too and then he said, “Okay, we can stop now.”

Thank Merlin! Severus sighed in relief, and mopped his brow with a napkin. “If you happen to have any more questions like that, Harry . . .just go and ask your grandfather. I’m sure he’ll be happy to answer them.”

Harry looked horrified. “Papa, how would he know? He’s old and Grandma’s dead.”

Severus choked on his tea for a second time, nearly asphyxiating with laughter. Oh, Harry! There’s never a dull moment with you.

Just then Augustus walked into the small dining room. “Severus, are you all right? I hope you haven’t caught Henry’s cold.”

“No. I just . . .swallowed the wrong way.”

Augustus patted him on the back. “Mind if I join you for tea?” he asked, seating himself to the left of Severus at the head of the table. He spied the book Harry had been looking at and said, “Interesting book you’re reading, Henry?”

“Umm . . .yeah. It’s about sex and babies getting born.”

“Ah. Very interesting. The facts of life.” He turned and winked at Severus. Then he poured himself a cup of chai and served himself some ham and pickle sandwiches. “I take it your papa has educated you thoroughly?”

Harry nodded. “He told me all about it.”

“That’s good to know.” Augustus began to eat. “Good job, Severus,” he said out of the corner of his mouth.

Severus said nothing, pouring himself a glass of lemonade, since his tongue was scalded from hot tea and the other hot topic of the afternoon.

He looked at his son then and said, “Harry, if you’re finished, why don’t you go and write a thank you note to Miss Miska for giving you the chocolate? And write Blaise and Neville as well and see if they would like to come for New Years Eve?”

“But I’m still grounded.”

“Not for New Years Eve.”

Harry jumped up so fast he nearly upset the teapot. “Oops. Sorry. I’ll go write them right now! Can they sleep over too? And can Nev bring Trouble?”

Severus groaned. Three kids and a crup were just what he needed. “All right. As long as you don’t keep me awake all night and you look after the dog. If I find a mess anywhere . . .”

“I know. I’ll be walloped into next week,” Harry shot back. “Thanks, Papa. Oh, and why don’t you invite Miss Miska to the party? That way you’ll have something to do besides read all night.”

He ducked his father’s playful swat to his behind and raced from the room, laughing like a wicked imp.

* * * * * *

January 31st, 1992

Diagon Alley:

Sandra heard the bell over the door of her shop ring, and she quickly wiped her hands on a rag and hurried into the front of the store to greet her customer, she had been decanting Bubotuber pus into small jars and hoped she hadn’t gotten any of the foul-smelling stuff on her hands. She was wearing her green apothecary apron over her black robes, which she straightened as she walked through the curtained alcove to see Severus waiting for her, leaning casually on the counter.

She drank in the sight of him, they had not seen each other in over a week, for she had massive orders to fill for St. Mungos and other companies and he had been busy as well, doing research on a potion that could replenish magical fatigue in two hours. At first, he didn’t notice her, he was too intent on perusing the new items she had added to her display over the counter—rare ingredients, unbreakable vials, knives that remained ever-sharp, and cauldrons that were self-heating.

“Hello, stranger,” she greeted, and he turned.

He smiled at her, eyeing her leisurely, enjoying the way she flushed slightly. “Hello, Sandra. Are you ready to go to lunch?”

“Just let me take off this apron and wash my hands. I thought you were a customer.”

“I may purchase that self-heating cauldron later.” He replied.

She chuckled and hurried back into her small lab and washed her hands in the sink. Then she hung the Closed For Lunch sign on the door and Severus took her arm and they walked out into the street.

“Where shall we go for lunch this time?” she asked. “It’s your turn to pick the restaurant.”

Severus looked around as they walked down the cobblestone way. Finally he spotted what he was looking for, a small café right next to the ice cream parlour. “How about the Sandwich Wizard?”

“Sounds good to me,” she said. “I’m so hungry, I could eat a dragon.”

In the month since they had begun dating, she found herself falling even more deeply in love with him. And it was not just because of his face or his voice or the fact that he was heir to one of the Great Families—those who had wealth and power and could trace their ancestry all the way back to Merlin and beyond. No, she loved him because he could make her laugh and he treated her like a lady and didn’t sneer at her for being a half-blood shopkeeper. He was considerate of her feelings and he never demanded she take him to bed, the way one of her early boyfriends had, as if she were nothing more than a prostitute. He was a genius and a far better potion maker than she, but he never talked down to her and he always listened to her opinions. She respected him for that. He also didn’t buy her frivolous gifts, he kept things simple.

She had received two bouquets of roses and lilies from him, a pretty good luck cat made of jade and jet that sat on the back shelf of her shop by the counter, and a soft scarf that he said matched her eyes. He had also delivered to her shop a crate of rare potion ingredients and refused to take any payment from her. “This is for all those discounts you gave me all those years.”

“Severus, I can’t! It’s too much!”

“It’s not. You gave me something much more precious.”

“Like what?”

“Your heart. Next to that, what’s a few dried flowers and animal hair?”

She had been so moved she cried, and had to turn away to dab her eyes with her sleeve.

But it was not always sweetness and light with him either. They had gotten into the occasional quarrel, since he did have a temper and tended to get grouchy and irritable if something didn’t go right at Prince Labs. Then he would snap at her and she, who was not a meek little mouse, would snap back. Once they didn’t talk to each other for three days.

But then they made up and forgave each other, and discovered that the quarrels did not mean the end of their relationship. It added a spice to it that was quite interesting, as a matter of fact. Neither of them was perfect, but then, she did not expect that. Nor did he. With him, she could just be herself, and that was the greatest gift of all.

Over her hot pastrami on rye she asked, “How is Harry doing at school? Is he staying out of trouble?”

“Yes, and it’s a miracle,” Severus answered, chewing his hot roast beef. “But Professor Malfoy has been keeping a stern eye on him and sending me weekly reports and all is well. His grades are good and the only complaint he has is that his Defense professor could make a stone gargoyle pass out, he’s so boring.”

“Defense? That used to be a fun class when I was in school.”

“Not under Professor Quirrell, according to Harry. But he has my grandfather and me to tutor him over the summer, and he has to learn to take the good with the bad when it comes to academics. So, have you come up with any ideas for my grandfather’s birthday present? I’m fresh out of them.”

“His birthday’s Februrary 14th, right?”

“Yes, on Valentine’s Day. He says that Fate played a cruel joke on him, because when he was an Auror, his colleagues used to tease him about being more a lover than a fighter.”

“Seems to me like he was both, if half the stories he told me about him and your grandmother are true.”

“They are. Grandfather would never lie about that. He truly adored my grandmother. Much the same as I do you.” He murmured.

“You’re sweet, Severus.” She smiled back at him. “Now, about the present. It’s hard buying something for a man who has almost everything. What sort of things does he like?”

“He’s an intellectual, like me, but he does enjoy his crime novels and he likes Muggle things. He’s very difficult to buy for because when I ask him what he’d like, he says nothing!”

Sandra thought, trying to remember what her father liked. Something that maybe Augustus wouldn’t have. “He shaves, right? With a spell?”

“Yes. Most wizards do, unless they’ve been brought up Muggle. In my case, I had to teach myself, because I would never trust my father near my throat with a razor. Later, however, I learned the spells because it saved time. Why?”

“Well, since he likes Muggle things, I was thinking maybe you could get him a Remington razor, not a cheap flimsy one, but a nice one with a holder, though not an electric one, since it’ll short out with his Elementalist aura. And maybe some Old Spice aftershave and shaving gel? My father used to love that brand and I still remember how good he used to smell when he would kiss me goodnight before he went out for dinner with my mum. I think that Augustus would enjoy trying it out. What do you think?”

“I think that’s a brilliant idea. We can shop for it tomorrow, since you’re off tomorrow, right?”

“Yes.” They had planned on spending the day together, it was her one Sunday a month that she had off, and she usually spent it relaxing in her home. But ever since she started dating Severus, she found she spent more time away from home than in it, which suited her perfectly fine.

She paid for the bill before he could do so, he scowled at her.

“You did that on purpose!”

“Of course. Otherwise you’d never let me pay for anything.” Then she kissed him lightly and glided out of the café.

Shaking his head, Severus followed. The Hat should have put her in Slytherin, he thought ruefully, for at times Sandra Miska could be as cunning and sneaky as a snake.

He bid her goodbye at the entrance to the shop, giving her one last lingering kiss before saying, “I’ll see you tomorrow, my sneaky sorceress.”

Then he Apparated away and she turned and went into her apothecary, the taste of him still lingering on her lips.

* * * * *

The next day, after the shopping trip, which was a success, Severus took her to a pretty little lake in the Highlands, bringing along a picnic lunch made by Lina especially for them. Valeska soared overhead, hunting the wild Highland hills for game. His familiar was happy to fly somewhere other than the manor grounds for once, and she also got along well with Sandra. He was very glad to see that, since he trusted Valeska’s judgment, and the falcon was choosy with whom she allowed to get close to her. Valeska allowed the apothecary to stroke her and even deigned to sit on her shoulder for a few minutes. Severus watched his winged beauty fly for a few more minutes, he never got tired of it, then he returned his attention to the ground.

He was slightly nervous, because he had spent all of last night pondering whether to reveal his best-kept secret to Sandra that afternoon. He had been seeing her for a month and a half, give or take a few days, and during that time he had come to know her very well. He learned that she was steadfast and loyal and highly intelligent, being a Ravenclaw, but she also had a kind heart and a way of knowing things about people before she spoke to them. He had gradually revealed to her his lonely broken childhood, and his friendship with Lily, though not that he had once loved her. She had been surprised at his humble beginnings, but not condescending. He found they shared so much in common—they both were half-bloods, both orphaned at a young age, both had to make their way on their own, and they shared a love of potions and books and magic as well.

She also adored Harry and had said on numerous occasions that she wouldn’t mind having him as a son.

She made him feel comfortable, he resonated with her as he had never done with anyone before. She understood him and accepted him for all that he was—even his sharp tongue and flashfire temper. He remembered the first time they had quarreled and how terrified he had been that it was over, because the one major quarrel he had ever had with Lily had spelled the end of their friendship. But Sandra had accepted his apology and forgiven him and then it was forgotten.

What had started out as attraction had somewhere along the way bloomed into love, a tender and passionate love, a love that he was almost certain would last. But the true test of it would come today, when he told her the truth about Harry. Then he would see if their love would endure.

He maintained his silence until they had eaten their fill of lunch, then he said quietly, “There is something that I need to tell you, Sandra. Something that has been kept a secret in our family for years.”

“What is it, Severus? Do you keep an insane cousin chained up in the basement?” she asked, trying to lighten his mood. “Sorry. I don’t mean to make fun. You can tell me, Sev. I won’t betray you.”

“I know. But I must require Wizard Oath of you. Do you trust me? Will you swear it now, without knowing what I am about to reveal?”

She thought about it for a total of twenty seconds before she nodded. “I trust you.” Then she took out her wand, pointed it at herself and said, “I, Sandra Ilyana Miska, do solemnly swear that I shall keep your secret for as long as you have need or till the end of my days. May my magic leave me forever if I am foresworn.” A glittering strand of silver light shot out of her wand and coiled about her neck.

“Thank you, my love.” He said, then he drew in a breath. “My son is Harry Potter.”

Sandra looked puzzled. “What? But that’s . . .impossible. Harry Potter is dead, everyone knows that. He died when he was three from some Muggle kidnapper.”

“No. That was a lie. His relatives no longer wanted him, so they put him in the manger of St. Paul’s nativity on Christmas Eve ten years ago, and that was where I found him. Harry Snape was born Harry Potter, the son of James and Lily, who was once my best friend.”

She gaped at him. “Hold it! You’re telling me that your son Harry is actually the Boy Who Lived? That he never died and that you’ve had him all this time?”

“Yes. I recognized him by the scar on his forehead and from an old newspaper clipping I had saved.”

“But Harry doesn’t have a scar. He’s not really your son? You were never married?”

Severus shook his head. “He is my son now, because of a recent blood adoption. But no, I was never married to Lily. I have never had a wife or a child of my own. Harry is mine by choice. I used a special potion I invented to remove the scar from him so no one would recognize him. I was afraid they would take him from me and so I hid him.”

“Who would take him from you?”

“The Ministry, Dumbledore. They would have never let me keep him.”

“But why?”

“Because when I first found him, I was a struggling Potions Master working for Smithers . . .”Severus said, telling her the entire story. “Harry has only recently learned the truth himself. I was afraid to tell him, afraid that he would despise me, but he doesn’t, thank Merlin! He still loves me. He still accepts me as his father.”

“Of course he does! You’re the one who’s raised him and loved him all these years. Hells bells, Severus, why wouldn’t he love you? You saved his life!”

“And you? Are you angry that I didn’t share my secret with you from the beginning? Can you forgive me my cautious nature? I did not want to go on without letting you know the truth, for a relationship founded on lies crumbles like grains of sand.”

She laid a hand on his arm. “I am glad you told me. I know it’s hard for you to trust, because of what happened with Lily.”

“You know about Lily?” He stared at her. “How did you find that out?”

“Your grandfather happened to mention it to me one day, when I arrived early for dinner and you were still at work. It was about three weeks ago and I was sitting in the parlor waiting for you when he came in and told me to be patient with you, that you might need extra time before you felt comfortable with me because of Lily’s choice and how it had hurt you.”

“Damn that meddling old serpent!” Severus swore, embarrassed. “He always has to stick his nose into my business.”

“Severus, he loves you. He wants to make you happy. He wanted to make sure I understood. He didn’t do it to be cruel or to mock you.”

Severus laughed harshly. “You don’t think me an idiot, for falling in love with my best friend? Who then turned around and chose my rival because she thought I would end up a Death Eater?”

“You were fifteen, Sev! We’re all fools at fifteen. I was. Lily sure as hell was for leaving you. But I’m glad she did, because if not, there would be no us. And no Harry either. The past is gone, let it go. I’m not Lily, Sev. I won’t walk away. No matter what happens, I’ll stay. That’s my oath. Trust me on that.”

He could hear the truth in her voice and see it in her eyes.

At last he could finally let go of the past, and let the old hurt heal. For he had found, all unknowing, one who would stand by him, who would be there for him, a partner for all seasons. Just like Augustus had found Drusilla.

He drew her to him then and kissed her, celebrating without words a love rekindled from the ashes of the old, a bright soaring flame that would never burn out and never fade away. I love you, Sandra. He thought as he kissed her.

And somehow he knew she heard him.

* * * * * *

February 14th, 1992:

They celebrated Augustus’ 105th birthday quietly at Foxfire Hall. Lina had baked a special cake of four layers each one with a different kind of filling. The cake itself was white and there were layers of strawberries, bananas, peaches, and chocolate cream. It was frosted with a light whipped cream and tasted heavenly.

Though the house elves did not normally bestow presents upon their wizard families, Hotspur declared that the 105th birthday was special and he and Lina gifted Augustus with a sacred oak leaf that had been fashioned into a cloak clasp. The leaf had been gathered from a magical black oak whose roots drank from a magic spring.

“It is an honor to serve, milord Prince.” The elf said gravely, handing Augustus the box. “Happy Birthday!”

“Thank you, Hotspur. It is an honor to be served by you and Lina,” said the master of Foxfire Hall. He was quite touched by their gift and pinned it upon his cloak immediately, exchanging the bejeweled crest for the simple preserved oak leaf.

He laughed when he opened Severus’ gift and said he would put it to good use. Sandra had brought him a basket with all of his favorite snacks and drinks inside.

“You didn’t really have to do that, my dear.”

“But, sir, it’s your birthday! I can’t come to a birthday party without a gift,” she pointed out.

“Severus, when are you marrying the lass?” Augustus asked then. “We need to keep her in the family.”

“Someday soon, Grandfather. If she thinks she can put up with this family.”

“If she hasn’t run now, Severus, she’s never going to. Now go out and buy her a ring.”

“What’s your hurry, Grandfather?”

“I just don’t want you to make the poor girl wait another four years for a proposal, Severus.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “Here. Open your present from Harry. It just arrived today.”

Augustus carefully undid the blue wrapping paper about the skinny box. It was wrapped inexpertly, so he knew Harry had wrapped it himself. Inside the box was a wooden case with one hundred and five collectable wizard stamps, some of them very rare limited editions.

Dear Grandpa,

I wasn’t sure what to get you until I saw these really cool stamps in a case at the post office last time I was in Diagon Alley with Papa getting my school stuff. The lady selling them said some were as old as Methuselah, and I thought, well my grandpa’s probably been around that long, and he’ll like looking at them. Hope they bring back some good memories!

Happy birthday!

Love,

Henry

PS: Has Papa popped the Question yet? Just wondering!

“Old as Methuselah, am I?” Augustus chuckled. “Severus, what are we going to do with that boy?”

“Heaven only knows,” his grandson said dryly, then he cut them all a slice of cake.

It was delicious, but Severus really didn’t enjoy it as much as he should have. He was worried about Augustus. The older wizard seemed to be insisting that Severus marry soon, and while he tended to shrug it off, a part of him wondered if Augustus truly were in good health. Could he be hiding some kind of ailment, some terminal illness? Severus felt his heart freeze.

Later on, while Augustus was sitting in Drusilla’s garden, dreaming of other years when his wife had been there to celebrate anniversaries and birthdays, Severus broached his concerns to Sandra.

The apothecary witch did not brush them aside. “He doesn’t seem sick to me, Severus, but you never know.”

“That’s what worries me,” Severus said. He looked at her and said softly, “You know that I love you, don’t you? I just didn’t want to rush things.”

“Oh, Severus! Don’t you know I would marry you tomorrow if you asked? I don’t need a lengthy courtship. Four years was quite long enough. I love you with all of my heart and I do want to have more children before I’m forty.”

“So do I.” He knelt down and removed a ring from a fold of his pocket. “Will you marry me then, Sandra Miska? I promise I will keep your heart safe and never let it go.”

“I will, Severus Snape.” He slid the ring, an old platinum band with a single emerald flanked by two diamonds, on her finger. “And I promise you the same.” She was smiling, her eyes bright with tears. Then she looked at the ring and gasped. “Severus! This is . . .it’s gorgeous! Where did you get it?”

“It was my mother’s. The one thing I kept besides her letters. I hoped someday to give it to a very special lady. And now I have.”

He rose to his feet and kissed her, sealing their promise the way lovers had done since time first began.

Afterwards they discussed possible dates and decided on a June wedding, after Harry returned home from school. Severus said he would go and pick Harry up next weekend and bring him home, so they could tell him the good news in person. He didn’t think his son would be too surprised and he wanted to share his joy with him.

Then they went inside to tell Augustus, and the old Slytherin hugged Sandra, hugged Severus, and then said, "Finally, Severus!"

Chapter End Notes:
How did you all like the Talk between Sev and Harry? I don't know about you but I had to stop two times while I was writing because I was laughing.

Hope everyone liked the romance and everything!

I've been sick with a bad head cold, so please excuse any errors you might see. It's hard to proof when you're sneezing nonstop across your keyboard. :(

Next: The family faces their toughest challenge yet!