Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Warmth

Warmth

I never expected to be a father. I never expected that I would hold a small hand in mine and whisper nothings into ears that he could not possibly understand. I never expected to hold such warmth. His tiny body wriggled in my arms and I smiled down at his bright, intelligent eyes.

"You know things don't you?" I asked of the baby.

"Goo."

"I see. And what other gems of knowledge will you impart today?"

He giggled and tried to pull the hair framing my face.

"I don't think that's a toy, little one."

He pulled at the hair again, defying me.

I sighed. "You win again, o' masterful one."

McGonagal looked over her glasses at me. "You do know how to feed him?"

"Well, it's not like I've never taken care of a baby before." I huffed.

She seemed surprised. "When did you..."

The baby wriggled some more and then let out a harrassed whine. "I think someone needs a nap. I'll come back after I've put him down."

McGonagal looked like she wanted to say something more. Probably about why I wanted to care for the baby in the first place, considering who he was.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of him as if he were my own flesh and blood." I assured her as I stepped out of the Headmistress's office.

"That's not what I'm worried about..." I heard her say as the door shut behind me.

As I walked down the empty hallways of Hogwarts I rocked the baby back and forth and tried to hum what few lullabies I could recall from my childhood.

When I put the baby down, I ran my hand through his black hair, to sooth him, and felt oddly accomplished. I was a father now. My son was my former enemy, an unknown comrade, and an uncommon ally.

I was no longer completely alone in this world.

"Goodnight, Severus." I whispered and kissed his forhead as his eyelids fluttered shut.