Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
While Severus gets drunk, Harry gets to know his grandmother. When Severus awakes again, boy, is he in for one big shock!
Reviewing Family Matters

Severus nursed a bottle of alcohol in his hands as he sat in his stiff, hard chair in his quarters, his eyes staring blankly at the bare wall in front of him. He swallowed viciously, letting the alcohol burn his throat. He welcomed the pain, and the numbing effect the alcohol had on his mind. He had no wish to dwell upon the past, nor the present. Like his eyes, Severus Snape had become a blank, emotionless, hollow man. 

He was destined for pain, it seemed. His pureblooded parents who had him for the sake of creating an heir, trying to instill pureblooded nonsense in him through any means possible. The love of his life, taken away from him, only to marry his greatest rival. His brother and his life tragically cut short. The loss of his future, ruined by a megalomaniac and a fool. And yet, he continued on. There was no attempt to excuse or divert the pain; he welcomed it. Rather, the new pain that was continually inflicted upon him wiped out the pain of the past. It occupied him...until times like now, when he nothing else to do, but to think. 

To his knowledge, he never did anything but sleep when he was drunk. His mind, of course, never did see what his heart would do. A part of him realized that this broken man would not last, no, not under these circumstances. So when his cold, unfeeling, logical mind was shut down, another part of his body - the section he forever thought lost, his heart - would come out. He would never remember this when he woke up. 

Tears ran down his cheeks. Tears of sorrow, of anger, of frustration, and of bitterness. Tears that proclaimed the human aspect of Severus Snape, that showed he hadn't totally been converted to stone. Tears, that had they been seen by anyone else, would've shown the desperation and brokenness within this man who stood stoically among others. 

He slumped back in his chair, and finally let the darkness overtake him. The morning would come soon enough.

 

********

Harry lay on the bed, his newfound-grandmother beside him, watching over him. It was funny; at school, she was prim and proper. Right now, she was acting like what he thought a typical grandmother would act like: warm, smiley, and a bit...fussy, though he would never tell her that. She would probably be insulted. 

He had been assaulted with numerous accounts of his parents. Not that he minded, of course. He relished it, actually, since no one had ever really bothered. He learned of James' mischief - in detail- and been admonished not to follow in his footsteps. He learned about his mother's talent in Charms and Potions, and how she liked to read for fun. She sounded a lot like Hermione. Maybe if his mum had lived, then he'd be a bookworm too. Or maybe he'd be wild and crazy like his dad. Or maybe even both, if that was possible. 

"Professor..." 

"Now, Harry, what have I told you about calling me that during the holidays?" asked Minerva teasingly. How she had longed to do this for ages! 

"Sorry, Prof- Gran," said Harry contritely, ducking his head. "How come my mum liked Snape?" 

"They grew up together," said Minerva. "And Harry, remember, it's Professor Snape. You should respect him...even if you don't like him."

"Yes, Gran," said Harry. "So how come?" 

"Well..." said Minerva slowly. "Remember how you met Mr. Weasley?" 

"Uhh...Ron?" At his Gran's nod, he said, "Yeah, on the Hogwart's Express!" 

"Lily met Severus there. She didn't have any friends, obviously, being a Muggleborn, and - I think - Severus was attracted to her, probably for curiosity's sake, since he had never seen a Muggleborn before, being raised by pureblooded fanatics." 

"Snape is pureblood?" asked Harry. "Well, that explains a lot." 

"Professor Snape," reminded Minerva. "Anyways, Severus didn't really have any friends, except Sirius Black. But when he went to Gryffindor..." 

"Who's Sirius Black, Gran?" asked Harry. "Is he Professor Snape's friend's brother?" 

"Yes, Harry," said Minerva hurriedly, not wanting to bring him up right now. "But it doesn't really matter." 

"But why?" 

"You'll know soon enough, Harry," said Minerva severely, her "professor" demeanor coming out. "Anyways, Lily and Severus became best friends, though they were in different Houses. I think they would study together every night, and they had most classes anyways, since Albus has this notion that Gryffindors and Slytherins will get along better if they spend more time with each other." 

"Well, that's stupid!" said Harry incredulously. "If anything, it makes us hate them more!" 

"You can't fault him for trying to create unity between the Houses," said Minerva. "But I agree." 

Harry laughed. "So can you tell me any stories about my mum and Professor Snape?" 

"Maybe you should ask Severus yourself," said Minerva gently. "After all, it's not my tale to tell." 

"But he hates me!" exclaimed Harry. "Why would he want to tell me, of all people? He'll just say I'm trying to shove it in his face." 

Minerva laughed. "Well, maybe I could tell you one story..."

"Please?" Harry said, sitting up. "Pretty please?" 

"All right," said Minerva, chuckling. "This happened on a Sunday afternoon in September, I think... 

Severus sat beneath a tree, reading, his long hair tied back. It was the day after the O.W.L's, and the Gryffindors had spent the entire night partying, to Severus's gratitude. That meant Potter and his little gang couldn't hurt him today...or Lily for that matter, who was coming towards him at the moment. 

"Lily," said Severus. "How were the exams?" 

"Sev, really? Is that all that's in your mind?" teased Lily. "How about...Lily, how are you today, instead, Sev?" 

Severus blushed. "Sorry Lils, I didn't mean to be rude." 

"I'm just teasing, you blob," said Lily, smacking him over the head. "Exams were okay, though I'm pretty sure I didn't answer the part with the Draught of Living Death correctly. I said you had to stir five times counterclockwise, and one each in between clockwise. Was I right?" 

"Hmm..." smirked Severus, dragging out his answer. "What do you think?" 

"You big bully!" said Lily, swatting him again. "So I was right." 

"I didn't say you were right, did I?" 

"So...I wasn't right?" 

Severus laughed. "Of course you were right. What an idiot." 

"You're the idiot, Severus Talfryn Snape! Hmph," said Lily. "See if I ever talk to you again."

She turned her back on him. "I'm sorry, Lils," said Severus contritely. "But you're just so fun to tease." 

"I forgive you," said Lily, and then promptly kissed his cheek. "Now, Sev, what do you want to do? Don't be such an old man. C'mon, let's go for a walk!"

"But this book is so interesting!" argued Severus half-heartedly. 

"Read it later, Sev," said Lily. "We only have a couple days until we have to go home." 

"And then you won't see me until we start school again," said Severus. 

"Exactly," said Lily. "So are we going for a walk or not?" 

"I'm coming, I'm coming," said Severus. "Women and their impatience..."

"What did you say?" Lily put her hands on her hips. "You don't want to go for a walk? Fine." 

"I-I was just joking, Lily!" 

She turned back and smiled. "I know, Sev, I know." 

They began to walk towards the lake, and talking. Severus looked at Lily, almost nervously. "Lily..." 

"Yes, Severus?" she asked, oblivious, skipping ahead. 

"What if I told you..." 

"What is it, Severus?" asked Lily, who had turned around, concerned. "Is something wrong?" 

"Someone'sapproachedmeforanApprenticeship," mumbled Severus. 

"What?" exclaimed Lily. 

"Someone's approached me for an Apprenticeship for Potions," said Severus, enunciating this time. 

"I know, I heard you," said Lily. "It was a rhetorical question. But seriously, who asked you? And so quickly, too! Don't you get asked after your N.E.W.T's? You just finished the Potions O.W.L's three days ago!" 

"One of my examiners," said Severus quietly. "Alessandro Magnus." 

"You mean, the Alessandro Magnus?" asked Lily incredulously. "The one who's been developing all those new Healing potions, like Bone Re-growth? He hasn't been seen in years! Are you sure?" 

"Apparently, old Slughorn put in a word for me," said Severus. "But I haven't accepted yet." 

"Why haven't you?" asked Lily. "It's a chance of a lifetime!"

"Well...if I do it, I'm not coming back to Hogwarts," said Severus. "And as much as I'll like leaving those arrogant toerags behind..." 

He left the rest of the phrase unsaid, though Lily understood what he meant. "Can't you do both?" 

"I don't think so, Lily," said Severus.

 "Well, don't stay because of me, Severus," said Lily softly. "I don't want you to regret it."

"Lily..." Severus trailed away. "Lily, I don't want to leave you." 

"It's not like we won't see each other, right?" asked Lily, her voice breaking. "You'll come back and visit, right?" 

"I don't know, Lily." 

She looked at him, her eyes glistening. "Maybe...maybe we should go talk to Dumbledore. He can work things out for you, can't he?"

"I don't know, Lily..." said Severus doubtfully. "He's never really listened to me. Remember what happened with...that thing?" 

"That thing..." hissed Lily. "Has a name."

"Sorry, Lils," said Severus. "Lupin, then."

"Well," said Lily. "It can't hurt to try Dumbledore. After all, you're probably the youngest person ever to be approached for an Apprenticeship...towards a Mastery in Potions, no less. And if you start now...you'll be able to get yours before you're even twenty! You'll be the youngest Potions Master in centuries!" 

"But Lily..."

"Come on! I'm pretty sure Dumbledore will agree," said Lily excitedly, starting to walk back towards the castle. Severus soon matched her pace, and they resolutely set out for the Headmaster's office. 

Lily knocked on the door. 

"Severus, Lily, please come in," a gentle voice stated. Dumbledore stood as the two of them entered the office. "What can I do for you today?" 

"Umm, sir, I'm not sure if you know, but Severus," Lily gestured, "has been approached by Alessandro Magnus for an Apprenticeship towards a Potions Mastery." 

"Oh, indeed?" asked Albus, his eyes twinkling. "Why, congratulations, Severus. I hadn't heard! Have you accepted?" 

"I was -" 

"Severus wants to know if he can stay at Hogwarts and do his Apprenticeship at the same time," interrupted Lily. "Can he, sir, can he?" 

Albus chuckled. "I will certainly ask Master Magnus. If he agrees, you may, Severus. Of course, this has never happened in all of Hogwarts' time." 

"Thank you, sir!" gushed Lily. "You won't regret it. I'll make sure Severus works extra hard and- and -" 

"Thank you, Headmaster," said Severus formally. 

"You're quite welcome, my dear boy," said Albus. "And congratulations. Shall I see you at the Feast?"

"Yes, sir," the two chorused, and then excused themselves.

"See, Severus?" said Lily triumphantly. "I told you!"

"Well, Master Magnus hasn't said yes yet," said Severus. "And I still have to reply to him." 

"So what're you waiting for?" asked Lily. "C'mon! Let's go to the Library and write it together." 

They sat down in the Library, and composed a letter. Within hours, a reply came back. 

      Dear Mr. Snape, 

I am delighted that you have chosen to accept my proposition. I have discussed with your Headmaster about your condition, and I find it acceptable. As I have stated before, I have never seen the likes of your talent in decades! I look forward to working with you, Apprentice. I shall be meeting with you and your Headmaster tomorrow afternoon at three. I look forward to discussing your future.

               

                                Sincerely,

                           Alessandro Magnus

                      Master, Potions and Alchemy

 

"See?" said Lily. "I told you." 

"I've heard that so many times today, Lils," said Severus, groaning. "Don't you know when not to gloat?" 

"Mr. I'll-never-ever-see-you-again," teased Lily. "And there you were, making me upset and everything." 

"You...really were upset?" asked Severus. 

"Yeah, what do you think?" asked Lily. "You think I want to never ever see my best friend ever again?" 

"Well, no," said Severus, then, on an impulse, added, "Lily, will you go out with me?" 

"As if I could ever - what?!?" said Lily, who had rambled on before her brain could catch up with her ears. 

"Never mind," blushed Severus. "You don't have to, if you don't want to." 

"Of course I do!" Lily cried as she flung her arms around Severus. "You big oaf. Of course I -" 

Severus interrupted her midway through her sentence by kissing her full out on her lips. When they pulled apart, they were both blushing. They stared at each other for a moment, mesmerized by the other, seeing each other in a new light. Finally, Lily settled on leaning against Severus, her head on his shoulders, and they sat there, until the call for dinner arrived. 

"So that's how Lily and Severus got together," said Minerva matter-of-factedly. "I thought it was the sweetest thing when my daughter told me."

"Yuck, Gran," said Harry, making a face. "So...did mum still love Professor Snape after she married dad?" 

"I believe so," said Minerva quietly. "But...when James came courting, she didn't say no. It is strange, now that I think about it."

"Oh, well," said Harry. "At least I was born, right?"

Minerva wrapped Harry in a hug. "Of course, Harry."

"Gran, I'm feeling a bit tired... 

"Oh, you should go to sleep then," said Minerva, and tucked the covers over him. "I'll wake you up for dinner, all right?" 

"Okay, Gran," said Harry sleepily. "G'night..." 

"Good night, Harry, sweet dreams," said Minerva, gently dimming the lights. After taking one last look, she walked out of the room. 

Harry soon fell asleep, exhausted by the day. In the dark room, lights swirled around him, in different colours. He slipped further and further into the depths, almost into a deep coma-like trance. He was oblivious to his body changing, stretching several inches in addition to the several inches he had gained earlier. From 4'11" he became 5'4", and then 5'8". The features of his face also changed, his hair becoming longer, darker, and wavier. His body re-proportioned itself, from the frame of one similar to James Potter's, to a more broad-shouldered, leaner frame. The unseen mask on his face seemed to be directing these changes, and as soon as they were finished, it fell off his face, visible once again.

 

********

Severus Snape awoke with a terrible headache. He groaned. Why couldn't he ever remember the terrible consequences of over-drinking? Luckily, he had a hangover remedy on hand...it wasn't the first time he had woken up after being stone drunk. He stood unsteadily on his feet, and lurched towards the shelf where all his potions were kept. Fumbling, he knocked over several vials (thankfully covered and sealed) before he round it. When he found it, he poured it down his throat, only blanching slightly at the taste. The effect was immediate; the headache was gone, and he was once again in full control of his facilities. 

He frowned, remembering what compelled him to drink in the first place. The mask! Maybe he could go pry it off the brat's face and see if it really was Regulus's. He set off resolutely out the door, before he remembered he could floo directly to the Infirmary. Cursing, he muttered something about how drinking could turn oneself into a dunderhead. He tossed the floo powder into the fireplace, and called out, "Hogwarts' Infirmary!" 

He landed gracefully, and walked towards the room where Potter currently resided. He quietly opened the door, to avoid alerting anyone to his presence. Once he was inside, he carefully walked towards the bed Potter occupied. He frowned. That was odd. Just two hours ago, the boy's legs barely met the halfway mark. Now they were close to the very end of the bed. He crept closer, and received a very big shock. That wasn't Potter! He quickly bound the figure - who didn't awake - and weighted his options. Should he wake up the person on the bed, or inform the Headmaster?

No, it was better to call the Headmaster. If that truly was Potter...well, he couldn't and wouldn't be accused of being hysterical again. Purposefully, he walked towards the floo. "Headmaster?" 

"Ah, my boy," said Albus. "Is everything all right?" 

"I believe you should come down to the Infirmary right away," said Severus. "And bring Professor McGonagall with you. There is something you should see." 

"Is something wrong with Harry?" asked Albus, sitting upright quickly, and almost spilling his tea. 

"Something related, yes," said Severus carefully. 

"We're coming through," came the terse reply. Within seconds, both Professors were in the Infirmary. "Severus, what's wrong?" 

"See for yourself," said Severus, and dramatically flung the door open. "Now, Minerva, am I in hysterics?" 

"Who is that?" came the shocked reply. "Harry was perfectly all right when I left him!" 

"I suggest we wake him up," said Albus. "you can undo the bindings, Severus. They aren't necessary." 

"As you wish, Headmaster," said Severus. "Finite Incantem.

The ropes came off the bed, untying the figure upon it. He didn't awake. Albus called out, "Ennervate!" 

"Headmaster? Gran?" came the voice on the bed. "Is it time for dinner?" 

"It is him, Albus," whispered Minerva. 

"Why are you whispering, Gran?" asked Harry. "And why are you looking at me so strangely?" 

"Harry," said Albus. "What did I answer to your question that night in front of the Mirror of Erised?" 

"Socks, Professor," said Harry. "But why are you asking me?" 

Minerva summoned a mirror. "Because, Harry...your appearance has changed." 

Harry took the mirror tentatively, and then promptly dropped it after taking a glance. Luckily, it didn't break. "A-are you sure that's me?"

He fingered his face, and then his eyes bulged out when he got out of bed, seeing his newfound height. "I've changed? Why?!?" 

"Minerva," said Albus thoughtfully. "Doesn't Harry remind you of someone?"

"Why, yes, Albus," exclaimed Minerva. "He does...but I can't quite place my finger on it." 

Then both pairs of eyes gravitated towards Severus. Albus quickly asked, "Severus, do you mind standing beside Harry?" 

"Beside the brat?" asked Severus incredulously. "Yes, I mind."

"It's not like I want you to," muttered Harry. 

"Manners, young man!" scolded Minerva. 

"Sorry, Gran," said Harry, almost tempted to roll his eyes. Instead, he stiffened, and his face became uncharacteristically blank. 

"Severus, would you?" 

Severus's eyebrows contorted, and only his stiff shoulders showed his indignation, not unlike Harry's own expression.

Albus chuckled. "Oh, Merlin!" 

Minerva swatted him, frowning. "I don't see what you're laughing about, Albus. It's not funny." 

"Oh, but don't you see the irony?" 

"No. What I see is the fact that my own daughter neglected to tell me -" 

"What's wrong?" 

"What precisely is the matter with the two of you?" said two voices, suspiciously alike at the same time. They looked at each other, and frowned, giving Albus more cause to indulge in the laughing fit he was currently in.

"Honestly, men can be so dense," muttered Minerva. "Severus, look at Harry, and tell me you honestly do not see any of your features on his face." 

"My features? What in Merlin's name do you mean?" asked Severus, perplexed. Then he did a double-take when he did. Sneering, he stated, "Potter, what prank are you pulling? You think it's funny to impersonate me?" 

"If I wanted to make fun of you, I'd make sure the nose was right!" said Harry heatedly. "And it's not like I wanted to look like this! I just woke up and -" 

"Enough of your excuses, Potter," said Severus spitefully. "Just like your father -" 

"Who would be you," said Albus, his eyes twinkling madly. "That's Harry, in the flesh, Severus. No charms, no transfigurations, no potions." 

"And the possibility that he is a metamorphagus?" asked Severus weakly, sinking onto the bed. 

"None, Severus," said Albus firmly, who by this time, had to support Minerva, who was on the verge of fainting herself.

"Oh, Merlin," groaned Severus, his hands rising to his head. Along the way, his hand accidentally touched the mask. A wispy substance came out of it, and all four of them blacked out.

 

*******

  "Mother? Professor Dumbledore? What are you doing here?" a strangely familiar voice (to the elder three) asked. All four turned around, and gasped. There was Lily, in the flesh! 

Chapter End Notes:
Hello!

Sorry I haven't updated...in a while. I was quite busy with school (only got about 2 hours a night last week, ugh). But here's a relatively long chapter. It was beta'd by my best friend, who said: "You just like to leave people dangling, don't you? It's like your trademark."

Sorry, folks, I must confess to that crime, as yet again, I have left you off...with a cliffhanger. Don't worry, next chapter'll be up in a bit...maybe tomorrow, or within the week. I'll have to see. In any case, I hoped you enjoyed this chapter. Review (: It makes me happy.

Until next time,
~shige

P.S. Happy Birthday, Severus!