Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Conflict! and a little bit of MM/AD fluff.
Trouble Awakened

“If it weren’t for your meddling, we would undoubtedly still be in the land of the living,” sneered Severus at Lily. 

“It’s not my fault, you big-nosed git!” screamed Lily. The other three occupants of the tiny cabin winced. The two of them had been arguing for days. The only respite they had was when they went to bed…but even then, it wasn’t always guaranteed. Severus and Lily both tended to wake up in the middle of the night – well, anyone could predict what would happen. Albus was almost injured in the crossfire one night, and from then, Minerva had put her foot down. If they wanted to fight physically, then they would take it outside. So instead of having shoes flying around, everyone else had to listen to the spiteful words both parties were capable of speaking. 

“Lily, Severus, please,” said Minerva tiredly. “Arguing like this isn’t going to bring us back to Hogwarts. So let’s sit and have tea.” 

 “Yes, why don’t we sit for a little chat? After all, we haven’t seen you in twelve years,” said Albus. 

“It’s not my damn fault!” Lily stomped out of the cabin before her mother could chide her for language. 

“Well, Severus?” asked Albus. “So tell me about your exploits in the Potions field.” 

Severus stood up, as if not having heard his mentor. “I will be exploring the fauna and flora of this world to see if it coincides with our own. Good day.” Then he too, slammed the door shut. 

“Oh dear,” said Minerva. “Why can’t you ever keep your mouth shut, Albus? You’ve upset the children. And Harry, I never want to hear such language coming out of your mouth, or so help-me-God, I will make you eat soap.” 

“Ugh,” groaned Harry. “Eat soap? I’m not a freakin’ seven year old, Gran.” 

“Language, young man,” threatened Minerva. Albus’s eyes twinkled.

“Fine,” said Harry, barely able to stop the rolling of his eyes. “I’m just going to the kitchen to make us some cookies, all right?” 

“Watch your tone, young man,” said Minerva, but her tone was soft, almost teasing. “But that would be wonderful, Harry. Your mother has all the necessary ingredients, or she should, anyways. Lily loved – loves – baking.” 

“Mhm,” grunted Harry, struggling to pull the bag of flour out of the cupboard. “Woah!” 

He flew to the other side of the room when the stubborn flour gave way, spraying flour everywhere. “Whoops?” 

“It’s all right, Harry,” laughed Albus. “Scourgify!” 

“Oi!” exclaimed Harry. “Don’t clean me too, Professor!” 

“My apologies, my dear boy,” said Albus, whose body was now wracked with laughter. “But you’re all clean now, aren’t you?” 

Harry huffed, and began preparation for his baking. Now, where were the eggs? 

********

Remus was quite perplexed. Earlier, he could have sworn he had smelled the scent of one Sirius Orion Black, his former best friend. It obviously couldn’t have been, since Black was still in Azkaban, but there was no one else who smelled like that. Well, except Regulus Black, but he was long dead. He frowned. There was something awfully fishy…and he was going to get to the bottom of it. However, instead of turning back to the inn, he decided to head back up into Hogwarts, and see if he could get any planning done for the new year. Defense Against the Dark Arts wasn’t his best subject – he preferred Ancient Runes or Arithmancy – but it certainly wasn’t his worst. According to Flitwick, the teachers who had taught the subject weren’t exactly capable, and in the last two years, both of them had attacked Harry. 

Harry – oh, how he had failed Harry! Why hadn’t he checked on Harry before? Why had he been too caught up in his own problems to care for Harry? If only he hadn’t left for America…then perhaps Harry would have been properly cared for. Abruptly, he was brought out of his thoughts by a familiar scent in the wind. Straightening, he paused, and subtly sniffed. And then sniffed again. No, it couldn’t be Sirius. Blaming it on his lack of sleep, he trudged up towards the Infirmary to see Harry. 

He carefully opened the door, only to be greeted by a serious Flitwick and a hysterical Poppy. Assessing the situation, he asked calmly, “Filius, Madam Pomphrey, what’s wrong?” 

Madam Pomphrey’s answer was anything calm, and nearly sent Remus into hysterics himself. “Harry’s gone! And so is Albus, Minerva, and Severus!” 

“What?” exclaimed Remus. “Are you sure?” 

“We’ve looked everywhere, Remus,” said Filius. “There’s no sign of them…besides this mask. It sounds like the one Severus and Harry were describing earlier.” He shrugged. “But other than that, there’s no trace of them, though Poppy says the four of them were in the room together.” 

“No, I didn’t,” said Madam Pomphrey indignantly. “I said Minerva, Albus, and Severus were here to look at the strange boy on the bed – or so I got from their conversation in the room.” 

“So where’s Harry then???” asked Remus. “Did he leave?” 

“I didn’t see him leave,” said Madam Pomphrey. “Though God knows that means nothing, despite all my precautions. You teenage boys are always trying to sneak out of here.” 

Remus laughed. “I’m no longer a teenager, Madam, but yes, I can certainly see your point. So who was the kid on the bed?” 

“Sorry,” shrugged Madam Pomphrey. “I didn’t hear that part of the conversation. I was caught up with my brewing, so when the noises stopped, I just assumed they left.” She swooned, almost crushing Filius. Luckily, Remus caught her. “If I had just looked closer!” 

“They’re not in the castle,” said Filius solemnly. “We even had the ghosts help us search. We’ve turned this castle upside down, and there’s nary a sight of them.” 

Remus sighed. “I’m sure they’re all right. I mean, Dumbledore’s with them…so it shouldn’t be too bad. We should probably just wait here.” 

Filius sighed. “Let’s hope nothing bad comes to them. In the meantime, what are we going to do with this mask? We can’t very well just leave it here.” 

“Well, you think it has something to do with their disappearance, right?” asked Remus. “We might as well take a closer look at it then.” 

********

Lily flew after Severus. “You come back here, Severus Maximilian Snape!” 

Severus snarled as he turned around. “Or what, Potter? Leave! I have nothing to do with you!” 

“You-you bastard!” screamed Lily, taking out her wand. “Tarantallegra!” 

Severus moved inhumanly fast. Before Lily could take another breath, he had already protected himself from the incoming hex, and plucked the wand from her grasp. “A Dancing hex, Potter? Is this what you have been reduced to? You will have to place a greater effort –” 

Lily slapped him. “You selfish git!” 

Severus clutched his cheek in surprise, his face open. But within seconds, the harsh Potions Master was back. “Selfish, Potter?” 

“Selfish!” she screamed back at him. “You think you were the only one who suffered? What about me? I was the one who was dumped here, not you.” 

He looked at her with a supercilious expression on his face, an eyebrow raised. She continued, impervious. “And where were you? With my mother, our son! I haven’t seen him since he was one! While I was here all alone…” she trailed away. “So don’t you dare tell me you were the one who suffered, you damn arrogant…snake!” 

She turned away from him, unwilling to let him see her tears. Severus’s stilted, but quiet voice filled the air. “I have no son. I have no parents, and I have no love. There is nothing left here of the man you once called Severus Maximilian Snape. Now leave, before my conscience fades from existence. I will not be the one who causes you pain.” 

Lily laughed bitterly. “Cause me pain? You’ve already done that, Severus. Every night… I dream of you, hoping that one day, maybe one day, I’ll get to go back, to see you, to see our baby. Now that you’re here, all I see is the fact that I’ve been romanticizing the notion. There truly isn’t anything left between us, is there?” Without giving him time to respond, she continued. “Good day, Severus.” 

She strode back to the little cabin, tears streaming down her face. Right now, she needed her mother.

********

Harry yelped as the door banged behind him. Fortunately for him, it was his mother, and not his father. He shuddered. Snape, his father?

He frowned. That was funny. Why didn’t his mother greet him? He took a second look at her face. Oh, boy. His mother was crying. That sodding bastard! He’d made his mum cry! 

He flew out the door in a rage. Oh, Snape was going to get it, and he was going to get it real bad. “Snape!” 

The man in question turned around. “Professor Snape, or father, to you,” drawled Severus. “Cease the Gryffindorish hysterics. I have had enough of that already from your mother.”

“You made Mum cry, you bastard!” shouted Harry, and ran at full speed, punching Severus in the stomach. Severus didn’t even flinch. Instead, he reached down, and grabbed both of Harry’s wrists with one hand. His eyes glinted. “Potter –” 

“Let go of me, you overgrown bat!” Harry struggled to loosen the grip the older man had on his wrists. “I hate you! I hate you! Mum hates you too! You made her cry!” 

Severus looked down at him in amusement. “You have no tendency towards self-preservation, do you? Foolish.” 

“And so what? I’m proud I was sorted into Gryffindor.” Harry blanched. “Who would want to be a dirty snake like you?” 

“The so-called dirty snake is the one holding you right now, Potter,” drawled Severus. “I would be very careful with my words, if I were you.” 

“You couldn’t do anything to me even if you wanted to,” smirked Harry. “Gran and the Headmaster and Mum are only over there. Minute I yell, they’ll come get me.” 

“Indeed, Mr. Potter?” mused Severus. “Clearly, there is no resemblance between you or me…nor with your mother. Has your idiotic brain not absorbed the purpose of Notice-Me-Not and the Silencing Charms?” Severus gave a quick wave of his hand. “Screech as much as you like. No one will come to your rescue.” 

“Y-you’re lying!” shouted Harry, his face rapidly losing colour. “Help! Help!” 

Severus smirked at the feeble effort. “Pitiful, Potter. Now, obey me, and no harm will come to you. Am I clear?” 

Harry looked down, sullen. “Yeah.” 

“Enunciate, Potter! I will not have a dunderhead for a son!” stated Severus. 

“Yes,” said Harry. 

“Yes…?” 

“Yes, sir,” said Harry, and his bright green eyes turned up to Severus, accusing. “Now let me go!” 

“I will be treated with respect, Potter,” said Severus, his coal-black eyes burning. “Whether you think I deserve it or not. And I will be treated with respect, or you will have the pleasure of feeling my hand against your backside.” 

“You wouldn’t!” 

“Oh, yes I would,” said Severus. “Now, Potter…” 

Please, sir, will you let me go now?” asked Harry with exaggerated politeness. When Severus finally let him go, he rubbed his wrists to get the circulation back into them. “You’re still a bastard, sir. And you better apologize to my Mum. Git!” As he shouted the last word, he took off at a run towards the cabin, not daring to look back at the shaking Potions Master who could only stand there, lost in his fury.

*******

Remus yawned. They’d be at it for days, but they couldn’t seem to find anything out of the mask. Not a single damn thing. He had half a mind to toss the bloody thing out, honestly. Something, though, kept him from doing it.

Something irked him at the back of his mind. There were so many things wrong with this picture. First, the smell of his ex-best friend, and then the disappearances of the Headmaster, his Deputy, the Potions professor, and Harry? 

Had Snape caused this? 

Impossible, he chided himself. Severus was good. Or so the story went, anyways. But then again, if Sirius could turn out to be so bad…well, anything was possible. 

An owl at his window interrupted his thoughts. Opening it, he greeted the elderly bird. “Why hello there, what’ve you brought?” 

The bird gingerly dropped a letter into his hand, and perched itself on a nearby rack. Remus looked at the letter, and saw that it had been addressed to the Headmaster. “You know the Headmaster’s not around, right? And I can’t very well open it…” 

The bird cocked its head to the side, as if to say, So what? I’m not leaving until you read it. 

“That would be immeasurably rude of me,” said Remus. “You’re free to stay in the Owlery, I’m sure.” 

At that moment, the Floo roared to life, and a woman’s head popped out. “Headmaster?” 

“I’m sorry, he’s not here at the moment,” replied Remus politely. “How may I help you?” 

“Oh,” the woman replied. “It’s of no matter.” She took another look. “You wouldn’t be Remus Lupin, would you?” 

Taken aback, Remus stuttered, “Y-yes, I am. And who do I have the pleasure of greeting…?” 

“Give me a second,” muttered the woman, before her face disappeared, and a woman came out of the fireplace. “Remus Lupin! It’s been so long! It’s Molly Weasley!” 

Remus’s eyes glinted in recognition. “Of course!” he said, while trying to fend off a rather ferocious hug. “How have you been?” 

“Oh, you’re much too thin, dear,” said Molly. Yep, same old Molly, mother hen of the Order. 

“Don’t worry,” chuckled Remus. “The Hogwarts house elves are doing just fine. I’m positive I gained five pounds the last week I’ve been here.” 

Molly clucked. “I’m sure they couldn’t hold to my cooking, Remus.” 

Remus shook his head. “Boy, Molly, I don’t think anything could. I’m just slobbering thinking about it.” 

“Join us for breakfast,” said Molly, and she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Soon, the two of them were at the Burrow…looking at what seemed (to Remus) to be a never-ending flow of redheads. The letter left on the floor of the Great Hall, forgotten.

********* 

Voldemort strolled down Diagon Alley, smirking at the obvious lax state the people had settled into. Taking over this time around would be easy, it seemed.

He would play his hand subtly, this time. His long exile had been spent in much meditation, and he had come to the realization that many of his previous followers…were not as loyal as they had been before. In this new body, he could simply step back and observe. 

Fortunately, he had been prepared. He had hidden the majority of his wealth at various locations in Great Britain. He would be making his entrance into the Magical world with a bang…just not the one they would be expecting. 

Yes, this would be excellent. For a moment, his blue eyes flashed red.

********

“I’m going to kill him, Albus!” Minerva had stormed back into a room with a huff.

Albus looked up from his book in surprise. “Kill whom, Minerva?” 

“That bastard!”

“Which one?” asked Albus mildly, sipping his tea.

“Severus!”

“Oh?” asked Albus, not looking a bit surprised. “What has he done now?”

“He made Lily cry!” exclaimed Minerva. “Didn’t you see her? Albus!”

“Let the children sort it out, Minerva,” said Albus, patting the spot next to him. “Come, sit. They’ll work it out eventually. Can’t you see how much he loves her?”

“Loves her, Albus?” asked Minerva, sinking down into the sofa, and snuggling into Albus’s grasp. “If he loved her, he wouldn’t have treated her so harshly.”

“You know Severus, Minerva,” said Albus. “He has a hard time…acquainting himself with the unknown. Give him a bit of space and time, and he’ll come around.”

“If you say so, Albus,” said Minerva doubtfully. “But I won’t believe it until I see it.”

“Minerva…” He smiled at her. “You trust me, don’t you?”

“Of course,” she replied tartly. “I would hope so.”

“Then let the children be,” said Albus. “Go and spoil Harry for a bit. I can see the child struggling with in the chocolate chip bag…”

“Oh, dear Lord!” swore Minerva, jumping to her feet. “That child’s making a mess! Harry James Potter! Stop this instant!”

He chuckled, and then looked out the window. Severus seemed to have worked himself into a mood. In two hours, Albus resolved, if Severus would not come back in, Albus was just going to go get him himself. There was enough bad feeling between his son and Minerva’s child to go around the world twice over. And if he could help it, it wouldn’t be lasting very long. 

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
Dear readers,

My apologies for the late update. I’ve been struggling with this story for a while, and The Enigma of Time has occupied most of my time lately. If it weren’t for upcoming exams and my procrastination, I don’t think I’d ever get this story out at all.

I can definitely promise you an update after May 18th. Until then, see you later!

~shige

p.s. this was un-beta’d.