Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Norbert enters the story. Thanks a lot to Celeste and Lena for their help. Please review. LL
Chapter 15

“Hello Severus!”

“What are you doing here, on a Tuesday?”

Severus was not surprised that his colleagues had noticed. Minerva was very observant.

Since the adoption, he had tried to spend some weeknights with Harry. They were still learning about each other and needed time together. So usually on Tuesdays Harry would do his homework in the dungeons and have dinner with Snape, after dinner they would play board games or read and Harry would sleep in his bed. He would also do that on Saturdays. Severus did not visit the teachers’ lounge those days.

“Harry said that he was completing a project with his classmates.”

Minerva poured him a cup of coffee with a little bit of firewhiskey and sat beside him.

“A project? Did he said for what class?”

“Not really, I know that it is not for Potions, and judging from your reaction neither for Transfiguration.”

“They are up to something. Yesterday Potter, Granger and Weasley almost missed curfew.”

“Did they?”

“Yes. I was in the tower and they entered with barely a minute to spare. I asked them what were they doing as, yesterday the library closed earlier and they did not explain. They said something about sending an owl to the Weasleys…”

“You will let me know if he is not on time, won’t you?”

“Of course…”

Severus saw Harry the next day at breakfast, talking animatedly with his friends and did not think more about it.


On Wednesdays Gryffindor first years had Astronomy, so they were allowed to stay later in bed on Thursdays and he did not see Harry at the Great Hall for breakfast. But he was intrigued when at lunchtime he couldn’t find the black haired child seated beside the bushy haired girl at the Gryffindor table.

“Have you seen my offspring today?” He asked Minerva McGonagall that was seated beside him.

“No, I had a very busy morning, I do know that Ronald Weasley spend the night at the infirmary, Harry maybe visiting him.”

“With out Granger? What happened to him?”

“I do not know, I have to see Poppy later. They had Astronomy last night, he might have caught a cold. I have first year Gryffindors for Transfiguration in two hours. I will ask Mr. Potter of his whereabouts.”

“Please tell him to report to me if you find that Weasley has something contagious.”

Minerva smiled. Severus was showing his protective side more each day. She was also intrigued. Granger was eating but she looked preoccupied and a bit out of sorts… maybe she was missing her friends…


Minerva knew where her Lions were having History of Magic, the classroom was in the same corridor she had to walk, to arrive at her classroom so she decided to escort them to her class. It was not strange for some pupils to fall asleep in class and Bins hardly noticed…

She was worried when she realized that Potter had not attended that class. Hermione left the room alone. Was he in the Infirmary also? Once in her classroom, McGonagall was about to send a message to Severus when the child knocked and hurried inside.

The boy looked ashamed and a little disheveled, as if he had run from a very far location. Minerva breathed relieved. The child look healthy, he asked her for permission to enter and then sat beside his friend. She liked the child a lot but it was not in her nature to excuse class ditching or lateness. She explained the day’s lesson and gave work to her class, then she wrote a note for the Potion’s Professor.

“Mr. Potter.” She called at the end of the class. Harry walked slowly toward her desk.

“I am sorry I was late, Professor.”

“It is not only that you were late for my class Mr. Potter, you were not present in the class before this one. Do you have any excuse to skip a class?”

The young man was looking at his shoes. “No, ma’am.”

“I didn’t think so. Your classes for today are finished. Please take this note to Professor Snape and ask him to talk to me this evening.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Harry took the folded note and placed it in his robe’s pocket. Hermione was waiting for him at the door. She looked as tired as he felt. He would have to give the note to his father and wondered if it was a good moment to ask for his help…


Two weeks and a half before, just after Easter, Harry had received an invitation for tea from Hagrid. He had asked Severus if he was allowed to go and was told that Hagrid’s hut was not out of bounds. That he knew that the gentle big Man was Harry’s friend and that as long as he had his assignments under control, Harry could visit Hagrid as often as he wanted.

Harry was surprised by that, but tea with Hagrid was more surprising. He showed Hermione, Ron and Harry a Dragon’s egg that he had won in a game of cards! Hagrid was placing the egg in the fireplace to keep it warm and to get himself a little adorable dragon!

It was good, from Harry’s point of view that Severus had allowed him to visit Hagrid with out having to ask, because three days later the egg hatched and Hagrid asked for their help to take care of the little dragon.

Norbert grew very fast, one week later he was too big to sleep in a crate and was beginning to blow fire. Hermione, Harry and Ron talked to Hagrid about how dangerous it was to have a dragon. And not only because it was illegal, the dragon was going to end with Hagrid’s house and the rest of his pets. He couldn’t be allowed to stay at the school!

Hagrid had to pass a night putting out fires before he realized that his young friends were right. But he needed to find a loving home for his little dragon! Ron wrote to his brother in Rumania. He asked for help in finding a good home for Norbert.

The next week Ron received a letter from his brother, who fortunately knew Hagrid and did not ask too many questions and told Ron that he had arranged a pick up for the small beast. Ron, Hermione and Harry send the reply to Charlie’s letter on Monday, and they almost missed curfew, their Head of House was at the Common room that night!

Harry, Hermione and Ron slept better that night knowing that the little dragon was going to go away soon. Hagrid was really sad. He spent the night singing lullabies to Norbert and putting fires out with several buckets of water.

On Wednesday before Astronomy class, Ron was bitten by the creature. His hand was double its normal size at the end of the class and he had to go to the infirmary. Hagrid asked Harry to Dagon-sit for Norbert the next morning as he had to see to something about the unicorns or other creatures in the forest and the baby dragon couldn’t be left alone. Harry went after Charms, he had a free period until lunch, then he had History of Magic and Transfiguration. Hagrid said that he would return at lunchtime. But he had to tend to a sick Thestral and returned to his hut an hour later. Harry ran to the school but was late for Transfiguration. He still had to learn how Ron was fairing…

The note in his pocket felt very heavy. Heavy as lead. And his shoes were not lighter. Harry was on his way to the dungeons. Wishing they were farther. He knew that his ‘father’ had also ended the classes for the day, and dreaded the encounter.

Harry had very bad experiences with notes sent home from school. It was always the same story. It would start with his cousin laughing at him and taunting him because he had gotten in trouble at school, then his aunt would read the note and would give him extra work to think about the naughtiness of his acts in particular and his life in general... The worst was when Uncle Vernon arrived. He would scream until he was red in the face, at the end of the story Harry would have a very tender and red backside, after being the recipient of a very thorough whipping for embarrassing his relatives. And he would most certainly be sent to bed with out dinner.

Harry sighed. He knew that his new father would not hurt him, but he was afraid that Snape would regret having him as a son.

He knocked at the door of the dungeons, he could open the door, but this time he was not sure of the welcome…

“Ah, Mr. Potter” said Severus as he opened the door. Minerva had contacted him by floo so he knew that Harry was coming. He sat back in front of his desk.

"Come here and stand beside me". Severus voice was soft and gentle. Harry stood beside him, his face pale. He was almost in tears. Reluctantly Harry handed him the note.

Severus took the note and opened it. He read the scribbled message and turned to look at the contrite boy.

“Do you know what this note says, Harry?”

Harry nodded.

“A verbal answer if you please, son.”

Harry whispered, “Yes” afraid to look at him and even more afraid to look away.

“Tell me.” Snape’s voice kept being soft.

“It says that I… that I skipped History of Magic and that I was late for Transfiguration.”

“And you skipped lunch also, didn’t you?” Harry had gained weight and was now at his age weight, but Severus insisted that he should eat every meal.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Do you have a good reason for all these things?”

“Yes.” Harry breathed deeply. He remembered the conversation he had with Snape after the explosives were defused before New Year. Severus had said that he should ask for help. He looked at his father in the eye and said. “I need help with something and.. and I need you not to ask too many questions.”

Severus knew when he had made that promise that it would come back to haunt him. What was this child’s problem?

“Explain what is the problem and I will help you son.” Harry took one step closer. “Where were you this morning?”

“At Hagrid’s. I… ate something there, he is the one that needs help.”

“Was Hagrid with you?”

“No, Sir. He arrived later than he planned, that is why I was not able to come to History of Magic and was late for Transfiguration, he was supposed to arrive at lunch time, but…” Snape placed his hand softly over Harry’s mouth stopping the tirade. “Start at the beginning son, why were you asked to be at Hagrid’s cabin this morning? What is the problem, son?”

Harry lost the control at that moment. It was a sobbing little boy that explained the presence of a Dragon within Hogwarts grounds. And the injury to Ron Weasley, Severus felt his pressure raise, why was nothing simple with this child?”

“And how is, Mr. Weasley?”

“I don’t know,” Harry took a tissue and cleaned his eyes. “he went to the infirmary last night because his hand was so swollen and it hurt him a lot! We have not been able to visit him, I was watching Norbert this morning and…”

“How close have you been to that dragon?”

“I just fed him.” Severus held his arm, turned him around and placed a sound smack to his buttocks.

“Ouch!”

“Why didn’t you tell me since the dragon hatched?”

“It was not dangerous then.” Harry turned to take the target away from Severus hand. “It was small and Hagrid said that he could handle it. I didn’t know that it would grow so much in such a short time!”

Severus couldn’t stand to be seated anymore, he stood and started pacing in front of Harry.

“You said that you already contacted Charlie Weasley and set a time for it to be picked up…”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry was trying to keep his backside as far as possible from his father.

“When are Charlie Weasley’s friends coming to get it?”

“Saturday midnight, on the highest tower.” Said Harry. Snape stood still. “And when did you plan to tell me? After the dragon had bitten you or Miss Granger too?” He planted a couple more of smacks on the boy’s buttocks.

“No, dad… I was going to tell you tonight, it is really hard to handle… I‘m sorry.” Harry’s hands were on his back.

“It was a problem since your friend was bitten.”

“I know. But it happened late yesterday… And today I had to go to Hagrid and …” Snape kneeled in front of him and took hold of his shoulders. Harry could see the worry in his dark eyes. “You can come to me at any time. Day or night. Nothing is more important to me than you. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Dad.” Harry nodded and got closer for a hug. Severus could tell the child was trembling. He held him for a couple of minutes. Then he stood up and turning the boy toward the wall he said in a calmed voice.

“Place your nose in that corner, young man. I need to talk with Madam Pomfrey. Dragon bites are extremely dangerous. Your friend may loose his hand if he does not have the right attention…” Harry was worried about Ron.

“Could you help him?”

“I will try.”

Harry stood at the corner, his backside was tingling after the smacks he had received and in expectation of the ones that were to come, he was sure that Snape was not going to let him off with only three smacks…


Harry had been in the corner for 15 minutes when Severus walked back into the living room.

He opened a cabinet and Harry heard as he was taking glass vials.

“Come with me, Mr. Potter.” Severus sounded stressed.

“Where are we going?” Harry stood beside him in a moment.

“To the Infirmary.”

“How is Ron?”

“Madam Pomfrey had guessed that he needed anti-venom and applied it all night but he needs more because the dragon is young and does not control the venom in his bites.”

“Why do I have to go to the infirmary?”

“Because I do not know long I will have to be there and do not want to leave you alone here. And because Madam Pomfrey needs to run a diagnostic on you and Miss Granger to see if the Dragon infected you with something… If I were in as much trouble as you are young man I would keep my mouth shut.”

“But you said that you would help…”

“I am helping. I do not want you in the same country as that dragon! That doesn’t mean that you are out of trouble for not telling me before or because you skipped a class and lunch today…”

“Oh.”

“Oh, indeed! How were you planning to take him up to the tower at midnight on Saturday? After curfew and breaking a lot of school rules!”

Harry was sure that Snape was not going to punish him for something he had not done yet… but he said softly. “I am sorry. We had not planned that yet.” Severus hugged him again. It was hard to be a father!

They entered the infirmary and found that Hermione and McGonagall were already there.

Harry sat in a chair beside Ron’s bed and through teary eyes he saw the reaction his friend was having because of the venom. There seem to be small insects running through his veins.

Hermione sat beside him crying and held his hand. The two children watched as the adults gave their friend several vials and saw also how they used their wands to stop the venom. After what seemed an eternity, but were really just 30 minutes the three wizards declared that it was done. Ron’s arm was again of a rosy color and he was resting calmly.

Hermione and Harry were left alone, Minerva, Severus and Poppy went to the mediwitch’s office and discussed the problem.

They were all fond of the half-giant and decided to help with the dragon.

Minerva and Severus paid him a visit.

Hagrid was very ashamed that his dragon had bitten Ron. “… but you know how youn’ones are… they bite every thing…”

He knew that he should have not involved the children, but it just happened… he also thought that the egg would take longer to hatch and thought that the Dragon would stay small for almost a year and…

Hagrid was only a big kid, thought Minerva as she transfigured a cage strong enough to keep the Dragon out of reach of the inflammable things in the cabin.

Severus sprayed a special liquid to keep the wood from catching fire and placed a small chewing toy in the cage for the Dragon to occupy himself. The toy would collect venom from Norbert with out harming him.

“How are we going to carry it up to the Tower?” Severus asked his colleague.

“It must weight at least 100 pounds! You know that dragons react badly to magic, I can put a feather spell to the cage but the Dragon is heavy.”

“I can carry ‘im if you let me. I planned to go with the child’en any way…” Hagrid would want to stay with his dragon as long as possible.

“At midnight we can trust that all the children will be in their beds…”

“I will like to place locking charms at the doors of their common rooms until the Dragon is gone…”

“It might work Severus, but Pomona and Filius would have to be informed and the less people involved in this mess the better.”

“At least lock your Tower.” There was only one Gryffindor that worried Severus.

“I will do that.” Minerva looked at the dragon and hoped that she could transfigure it into a smaller version, one that could fit in a small cage. It was not possible, and she imagined that Hagrid would love to keep the dragon if it could stay of that size.

As Saturday was coming very soon they decided to keep the plans for the dragon. Minerva and Snape were going to go with Hagrid to take the beast up to the tower at the appointed time.

They went back to the Infirmary. Weasley was sleeping peacefully. Harry and Hermione were seated beside him.

Harry felt tired when he followed Snape back to the dungeons.

Severus let him enter and closed the door.

“Harry, wash your hands and get ready for bed.” Harry’s face fell he thought that he was going to be sent to bed with out dinner. His stomach started protesting and he tried to quiet it. “You are going to bed after dinner, child, so get changed.” Snape had noticed.

“Yes, Sir.” Harry should know that Snape was not going to send him to bed hungry.

Harry went back wearing pajamas and a robe. The table had soup and sandwiches. He ate them in silence. Nor him or his father seemed inclined to talk. “Madam Pomfrey ran some diagnoses on Hermione and me.” He informed.

“Yes. She told me that she did not find anything wrong.” Severus seemed very interested cutting his sandwich. Harry kept talking. “We did not know that dragons could be so dangerous…”

“That is why you will prepare a three foot essay about dragons. To be delivered on Monday.”

Harry made a face. “Professor McGonagall said that I will have to serve detention for skipping class.”

“She is your Head of house and that is a school punishment. The essay is part of your home punishment.”

Harry pouted. He did not like to be punished at school and at home for the same thing. Snape continued as they as well should finish with the consequences of the foolery.

“You will help me prepare ingredients and wash cauldrons tomorrow afternoon and you will also give me an essay about the class that you missed.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“I want you to be careful with the handling of magical creatures and I want you to ask me before getting close to anything else. Am I clear?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Have you finished your dinner?’

“Dessert…”

“You won’t have dessert until next Monday. Do you have homework to do?”

“No, Sir.”

“Take your potions book and review last class’ lesson. There might be a quiz tomorrow.”

“Yes, dad.” Harry did not want to study, but knew that if he said anything else he would be sent to bed. Harry went to take the book out of his backpack. And went with Snape to the Living room. Snape sat on the sofa and Harry wedged beside him with the book in his hands. They moved until they were comfortably seated.

Snape was reading a journal and watched as Harry read the book. He was so glad that the child had not been harmed by the dragon…

After an hour the boy yawned and Severus knew that it was time to send him to bed.

“Wash your teeth and get in bed. I will go and put out the light for you…” Harry looked at him and he could tell that the boy was going to ask him something, but changed his mind and went to the bathroom.

Ten minutes later Snape entered Harry’s room, the bed covers were placed aside, but the young man was not there. Snape looked in the bathroom and found him.

“Did it take you this long to wash your teeth?”

“I have not washed them, yet.” Harry showed him the toothbrush.

“What are you waiting for?” Snape was a little annoyed, can’t the child follow such a simple instruction? What was the problem?

“Harry…” He said. “Why is it taking you so long?”

“Ron was really sick. We… were so close and we didn’t know that it was so dangerous and… Hagrid…”

“Sh…” Snape made him sit in the bed beside him. “You are not responsible for all that son. Yes. You should tell me as soon as you find that there is a problem, that way I would help you. But Hagrid is an adult, he should be able to handle his own problems.”

“He thinks that Norbert is cute…” Snape laughed a little. “Yes, he does. So, we are dealing with the dragon. There is no more problem. Ok?”

Harry nodded. “And we have dealt with your faults, so lets put this behind us…” Snape helped him clean his face.

“Aren’t you going to spank me?” Severus knew that that had been on Harry’s mind since the end of dinner.

“I think you’ve have enough already, son and I believe you are still feeling the smacks that I gave you this afternoon, that was all for this time…”

“But dad…” Snape did not allowed him to finish. “Lay on your stomach on the bed.” Harry was regretting his comment. Snape had not planned to spank him more and now he had reminded him… He placed himself over the bed with his back up. He buried his face on the pillow and waited for the smacking to start. He felt Snape’s hand, but not on his buttocks. The man placed his hand on his back and started massaging him. He rubbed over Harry’s shoulders and felt the boy relax to his touch. “It has been an exiting week for you, child, you are so tense.” After some minutes the boy was almost asleep. Snape stop the massage and covered him with the blankets.

“Now go to sleep.”

“Good night, thank you, Dad.”

Severus felt his heart swell. After the emotional rollercoaster ride that he took this day… It was worth it to be a father.