Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Good bye to Norbert.
Thanks a lot to Celeste.
Tell me what you think about the mirror and the ice-cream.
Please review.
Chapter 17

McGonagall, Snape and Hagrid arrived at the top of the tower and saw in the sky that someone was coming. They saw them approaching and were faced with three wizards on brooms holding a harness. The wizards landed and after short greetings secured the cage of the little dragon, balancing the weight, it seemed that they do that frequently, then they flew away, after Hagrid asked them to take a good care of his little Norbert and gave them the list of recommendations that he had written. It all happened in less than 8 minutes.

Hagrid used a big handkerchief to clean the tears from his eyes as his latest pet flew away.

McGonagall patted his back. She did not really have much to say.

“I’m sorry, Professor… I can’t ‘elp it, I j’st love ‘im.”

“It’s late Rubeus, lets go to rest.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

They turned to go back downstairs.

“Professors…I don’ wan’ to intrude but… those youn’gsters’, I mean they were jus’ curios. No ‘arm was done an… I got them involved first...”

“Thank you, Hagrid.” Minerva saw him folding his handkerchief after mopping his eyes again.

“I’ll go now. Thank you for your ‘elp with Norbert.”

“Do not mention it, Rubeus…” There was no use in trying to curb the big man’s affection to dangerous creatures…

Hagrid went down stairs ahead of the Professors. Minerva walked beside Severus in silence.

They arrived to the Charms classroom eventually.

The five children were sitting together, looking through the crystal wall that kept them inside. Severus could see that they were still but not asleep. He turned to talk to McGonagall.

“I’ll take Potter and Malfoy, Minerva. If that is ok with you?”

“It is not ok if it means that there are going to be two less students in the school tomorrow, Severus…” Snape gave one of his looks to the meddling witch. But she was immune to that kind of thing.

“I can control myself, Minerva.”

“I think that we are all tired. Severus. Weasley needs to go back to the Infirmary before Poppy starts looking for him. I think that she has enough beds to accommodate these miscreants. We’ll sort them out in the morning.”

“I am not going to…”

Minerva stopped him showing him her hand. “I am sure that you will be welcome to stay in the infirmary also, Severus. For my part I need to cuddle in front of the fire, so?”

“I can’t understand him… He said that he understood why I did not want him along…”

“You may ask for explanations in the morning. Are you ready now?”

Severus breathed deeply. “I am.”

“In that case loose that look of inquisitor, young man, the children need to sleep not be haunted by that expression.”

They entered the room and McGonagall made the wall disappear then with some wand movements the classroom was put to rights.

“Come with me.” She told the troop

“Yes, Ma’am” was the answer, it seemed that only Hermione was able to talk.

McGonagall walked in front of them. Hermione was behind her, then Neville, Ron, Harry and Draco. Snape walked behind with out a word. He was trying to read the child that surely had initiated this adventure. Harry was making a big effort not to cry. He felt guilty that he had dragged his friends into this disaster. If he wanted to get in trouble he did not need to be with them... Ron was keeping pace with him and told him:

“It was exciting mate. I think that Norbert remembered us and only wanted to play.”

“How do you feel?”

“Tired, it was only bad luck mate.” Ron felt that his friend needed some support.

“Snape will have our hides, Potter.” Malfoy walked beside them. He was just a realist.

“Madam Pomfrey is going to place a sticking charm on my bed.”

“Do you think they will take points?” Harry remembered how worried was Hermione about points.

“I wouldn’t worry about that, we will be dead coming the morning.” Malfoy was enjoying his last moments.

“Where do you think they will take us, this is not the way to McGonagall office?” Whispered Hermione.

“I’m sorry I made you come.”

“You did not make us, Mate…” Ron appreciated the distraction.

“At least I got to see a dragon face to face.” said Neville. Hermione placed her hand over Harry’s arm. There was not much she could say, but she was not going to stop being his friend.

They arrived to the infirmary soon enough. The mediwitch was aware of her missing patient and had already sent a message to Minerva.

Ronald was hurried back to his bed after a quick diagnose spell. He had to drink a disgusting drought for the swelling in his hand. He did not have time to say goodbye to his co-conspirators but learned that they would all sleep there.

Minerva explained to Poppy in few words their need to use the infirmary. The Mediwitch understood and moved her wand accordingly.

“Children you will find pajamas over those beds. Get ready for bed and be quick about it, it is late enough.” Madam Pomfrey took charge of her Infirmary.

Hermione was the first one to choose a bed. Madam Pomfrey closed the curtains around it. Neville hesitantly took the one next to her. Malfoy looked at his Head of house, this was different from the usual way to be dealt with in Slytherin… Snape made a movement with his head and Malfoy went to the next bed.

Harry wanted to sleep and to pretend that it had only been a bad dream. He looked at the livid adult behind him and chose the last bed. His curtains also closed behind him. Snape had not uttered a word. That was very bad!

Harry was not going to stand it if Snape were to hate him again... He removed his clothes and realized that his robes were torn, Norbert had barely reached him, but he had nasty claws. This were his new robes! Snape would also realize that he was ungrateful and…

Having changed into his pajamas and being secure in the bed Harry allowed himself to cry.

Snape heard him in the adjacent bed. ‘Good, the little menace knew that he was in deep trouble!’ He thought. It was good to let him cry for a moment. The child needed to let off a little steam after the events of the night, Severus decided to intervene when after 5 minutes the sobbing increased and it seemed that the child was without consolation. Snape’s anger had dissolved completely.

He opened the curtains around Harry’s bed and sat on the bed beside his son, he placed his hand on the child’s back. It took Harry some moments to realize that he was not alone. He heard the voice but was too immersed in his sorrow. Snape placed his arms around the child and moved him in a way that he was embracing him. He held Harry as tight as possible, asking him to breath until the sobbing subsided. The child started breathing deeply.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. Sir.”

“Calm down, son, let’s not talk about what happened. You are tired. You need to sleep. You’ll see that with the morning light things won’t look so dark.”

“But, but it was foolish and dangerous and my friends could have been hurt and I disobeyed you and…”

“Sh. It is not the first time that you were disobedient Harry and knowing you it won’t be the last, I hope that time will cure you of your recklessness… Mean while you need to rest.”

“But…”

“Sh. Just breath deeply and try to sleep.” Harry took a deep breath. He felt the special smell of the Potion Master. It was nice to be held like this by his father. He was startled again. “But you won’t want to be my father anymore.”

“Why not?”

“It’s ok, I know that I am too much of a problem. And it is better like this. You do not have to… I understand, it was nice...”

Snape felt a pang in his heart. The child didn’t want to be his son anymore? That was too bad, after the blood ritual they were as much father and son as if he had gotten Lilly pregnant… and… Harry couldn’t fight the sleep any more he snuggled up into the arms that were holding him and fell asleep. Snape snorted. For someone that did not want to have him as father anymore Harry was too comfortable in his arms. He moved until his back could be rested on the headboard and closed his eyes. Holding the child that would be his death.

Harry did not wake up until the morning. He did not feel the Potion’s Professor place him on his pillows or tuck him in at three in the morning. Severus was going back to his bed when he remembered the terror he felt after he recognized Harry’s scream inside the charm’s classroom. He felt like dying when he recognized his child fighting with the dragon using a chair! Severus transfigured a rocking chair and summoned a blanket. He was too scared to close his eyes and realize that his child had been hurt.


Minerva McGonagall woke up rested. She needed a cup of tea and some toast. She called her favorite elf to bring it to her office and prepared several papers.

It was inconceivable that three of her charges had left her House last night! After she had given specific instructions to the prefects and to the Fat Lady. She would have to take some drastic measures about that. It was not of much consolation that one of Snape’s snakes had been able to sneak out also.

She sent notes to the perfects and prepared herself to face her lions. She saw the time and decided to hurry up. Severus had slept in the Infirmary and surely he would use that advantage to give the children a good talking to.

When Minerva arrived to the infirmary she realized that the occupants were still asleep. She tiptoed using her abilities as a cat to enter silently and discovered that the mediwitch was not at her office. She knocked at Poppy’s room and the knocking was answered by a sleeping looking witch

"Minerva..? Is there a problem?”

“Every one is asleep, are you all right?”

“I placed a calming spell on all, they were too restless, so they had a good night sleep.”

“I will order breakfast.”

“Do that while I take a quick shower. Thank you, Minerva.”

Professor McGonagall was on her way to order breakfast when she decided to ask Severus what he preferred… his bed was empty. With a little trepidation in case this meant that she had to address another emergency she opened the curtain of the next bed and found Severus sleeping on a rocking chair. He was holding Harry’s hand. She suppressed a laugh and silently closed the curtain again. Those two had solved their problems last night then.

The smell of recently toasted bread and scrambled eggs made the children stir in their beds.

Hermione was the first one out.

“Miss Granger.”

“Good Morning, Professor.”

Neville was next, then Malfoy, he followed Hermione and sat down at the table that had been placed in the middle of the infirmary, Madam Pomfrey arrived and she opened Ron’s curtain. The red headed boy was starving but he was not able to leave his bed as Madam Pomfrey had placed a sticking charm to his sheets!

Harry opened his eyes. He retrieved his hand and the Potion’s Master opened his eyes also.

“Good morning, child.”

Harry knew that he did not deserve the greeting, he closed his eyes and said. “You did not have to stay here.”

“I had to stay because of the nightmares.”

“Did I wake you up with a nightmare?” Harry did not remember any nightmare, just that he had cried himself out of any control last night.

“Not yours child. Mine.”

“You had a nightmare, sir?”

“It is a miracle that I only had a nightmare, after my son was attacked by a dragon, I may have had a stroke.”

“You do not have to be my father if you do not want to. I understand… I am sorry you were scared.” Here was the father theme again. Snape hoped that it was only last night’ stress.

“What are you talking about son? Why would I stop being your father? After the blood adoption I can’t stop being your father. Even if I wanted to, which I do not.”

“How do you know that it worked? You deceived the minister, you might have deceived me…”

Severus was reminded of the conversation he had with Dumbledore. Harry was supposed to be asleep...“So, I have to add eavesdropping to your faults, child. At this rate you won’t stop washing cauldrons until your graduation.” Severus regret his intent of joking, the face of Harry fell more if that was possible. Harry tried to explain.

“But Sir, I know. I do not deserve to have a father. I am a burden and a freak. And I am disobedient, careless, naughty and incorrigible and rude and…” Harry broke down sobbing. He had said it. He would have to learn to live with out his.. Sev.. Snape.

Snape did not know how to deal with this. He knew that in the two months previous the child had behaved too well. Harry had been scared of rejection. But how could he doubt the magic that had surrounded them? Then he understood. As Harry had heard about the magic balls and the minister of Magic... If the minister of magic could be deceived, why not an 11 year old child that was starving for love?

Snape sat in the bed and held the child tightly again. The child melted in his arms. This was the child that just last night had used a chair to keep a dragon away from him and his friends...

“Harry, Harry listen to me.” The boy kept crying. Severus realized that he had to do something drastic. “Harry James Potter Evans Snape!”

Harry stopped his sobbing. Snape had never called him by his complete name. Was it really so long? And in that tone of voce, it was better to pay attention. This was the scary Snape of his nightmares. He opened his eyes to look at the man that was holding him. “Are you listening?” Said the black eyes as soon as the green touched them.

“Yes, Sir.” Snape used his hand to apply a smack on the child’s bottom.

“Drop the ‘Sir’ son, I am your father and that is the way you are going to address me from now on.” The smack was not hard but through thin pajamas it had smarted. “Yes, father.” Harry said tentatively he wished he had one more hand to rub his backside, but his two hands were busy holding onto his father.

“Now son. You are right, the Minister was deceived into thinking that it was dangerous to go against ancient blood magic. But the truth is that he already knew that the ritual was completed. He was angry because we did it with out asking the Ministry. They are control freaks. And they wanted to bargain with your adoption. They learned about it because it was successful. We both wanted it to happen and it was a nice real ritual.”

“I liked that I felt the magic around you and me.”

“Do you think that could have been faked?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well trust me, it can not.”

“But I… disobeyed you and went out of the dormitory and told Draco and Ron to come with me and…”

“Miss Granger and Longbotton, it was as if a picnic was announced…!”

“It was like going against the ritual and… nothing happened.”

“Were you expecting a bolt of lightning to strike you son?” Harry had his head buried into Snape’s robes he just held Snape tighter. “Harry, the ritual made you my son. It was not to change you… You are 11. And a normal child. Of course you are bound to disobey and to make wrong decisions. That is why I’m here. To teach you… You are a child. My child.”

“Do you still want to be my father, then?” Snape’s answer was another stinging smack.

“Ouch! That hurt.”

“I have plenty where that come from and I will keep bringing them if you keep on insisting that you are not my son or that I do not want to be your father.”

“Ouch!” Another smack fell. They were not hard but they were being placed in the same area. For a cumulative smart. “Dad, please. I understand…”

“That is better.”

“But what am I to call you when in class?”

“Professor or Sir, will be appropriate then, but not when we are alone, or with your friends. Then it is dad or father, understood?” Harry nodded into Snape’s chest, he remembered then that they were in the Infirmary and that his friends were close. “Are they hearing us, dad?”

“No, Harry. I placed silencing charms around your bed. Are you ready for breakfast now?”

“Yes, Dad.”

“Let’s go then.”

Harry took his clothes and put them on. He saw the torn robe and turned to look at his father. Snape used his wand to repair the cloth with out any comment. Harry smiled, he loved magic.

They walked together toward the table where the rest were already finishing with breakfast.

Minerva pointed to two covered dishes.

“Glad you could join us, gentlemen.”

“Thank you for waiting for us, Minerva.”

Harry sat between Draco and Hermione.

“Are you all right Harry?” Hermione saw him flinch as he sat down.

“Yes, Hermione.”

Minerva informed Severus quietly what were her plans for the miscreants and he accepted.

Professor McGonagall waited until the plates and glasses were empty. Then the lecture started. Minerva reminded them that the rules were placed for their safety and that they had to obey them. That regardless of who had planned it… She looked at Harry... they had shown lack of common sense and excess of inventive two characteristics that were more than dangerous if placed together. She also told them that they were children and that they should rely on being protected by their seniors and the adults residing in the castle.

She stated that the prefects of their respective houses were also held accountable for their foolishness and they would serve detentions, one with her and one with the Potion’s master, where they would review the reasons why they were made prefects and given the position of authority and responsibility in their respective Houses. Then came the consequences for the five dragon hunters. The five children would have a set time for going to bed for a week and they would be given a token, by their house prefect each night, when they were in their beds. They would be required to present all those tokens to their Head of House at the end of their confinement. If they presented the 7, restriction would be over, if even one token was missing they would stay on restriction for another week. The set time would be 8 o’clock PM. As they had Astronomy at midnight, that day they would have to be in bed 25 minutes after the class ended. They were also going to serve detentions. Two with McGonagall and two with Snape. They were forbidden from any extra-curricular activity during that week. In Harry’s case it meant that he was not going to be allowed to practice Quidditch. And each would be given a set of lines to be delivered each day. 100 a day. And last, they would loose 10 points each from their houses. In the case of Gryffindor it meant 40 points. Snape did not say a word.

“Come with me to my office where I will give you the set of lines that you are going to complete and I will also show you the tokens. You will serve the detentions during the next two weeks.” McGonagall look at each child in turn. “Mr. Malfoy you may go with Professor Snape. Mr. Potter…” She looked at Snape.

“Harry, you should go with your head of house, I will meet you at our quarters when you finish.”

“Yes, dad.”


Harry entered his and his father’s quarters, the corridors were too busy to wait until he opened the door.

“Dad. Are you here?”

“Over here Harry, in your room.” Harry followed the voice and wondered what was his father doing there? He hoped that he was not removing his new toys as part of the punishment.

Severus was setting a mirror. It was a wooden framed mirror, about Snape’s size.

“What are you doing? I don’t need a mirror to get dressed.”

“I do not intend it for that, although it would help you get dressed correctly.”

“What is it for?”

“Just give me a moment and I’ll explain…” Severus took one step back and saw that the mirror was settled. The sturdy wooden legs were designed to keep the mirror in place.

“I have the longest line to write and McGonagall wants 100 each day, including today!.”

“It will help you to practice your calligraphy.” Harry knew that his father was not going to be sympathetic at all.

“There…” Snape stood beside Harry. Both their figures reflected in the mirror. “Now son, I want you to stand in front of the mirror and tell me what you see.”

“Is it a magic mirror? like the Erised one…?”

“You’ll see.”

Harry stood close to the mirror. He saw only his reflection. His face was kind of dirty, he had broken his record of crying this day. He tried to look behind him, but there was nothing different.

“Do I need to say some words?”

“Not at all, just tell me what do you see?”

“Nothing. Only me.”

“Isn’t that enough?”

“Enough? It’s just me in the mirror.”

“Yes it is. And what do you see? Describe it to me.” Snape brought a chair to sit close to Harry.

“Well, I have black hair” “That refuse to lie down” Completed Snape. Harry only looked at him and continued, “and green eyes, I have glasses. And I have a straight nose and thin mouth…. My face is a little smudged, I guess I should wash it. I am thin and I am wearing the school uniform with my robes… Is that what I am supposed to see?”

“That’s you. Now, son. Can you tell me if the boy in the mirror is obedient?”

“Obedient?”

“Yes, or if he is responsible and polite or if he has good grades or if he goes to bed on time?”

“That can’t be shown in a mirror.” Where was the catch?

“I know.” Snape smiled. Harry was confused. “It only shows me. It is a normal mirror.”

“It is a great mirror Harry, because it shows the child I love. And it can’t tell me if my son is obedient or studious or stubborn. But it doesn’t matter because I love you as you are Harry, with the good and the bad. Just as you are. Like your reflection.”

“You. Love. Me. As. I Am?” Harry was digesting the words and about to cry. Once more!

“I wouldn’t want to change a hair from your head son.”

“You love me even when I am disobedient and brake curfew…” Harry embraced his father, unable to keep talking. So Severus continued where he had left it. “And go hunting for dragons in the middle of the night. I may not like what you do but nothing would make me stop liking you or stop loving you. I am your father. And that is what fathers are for. And I do not want to hear another word about us stopping being father and son, are we clear?”

“Yes, Dad.” Harry felt himself surrounded by the potions ingredients smells in his father’s robes. They embraced for a while. Both of them had tears in their eyes. After some minutes Harry asked “Dad are you going to add to Professor McGonagall punishment?”

“Yes I am, son. I want you to remember before you get yourself in trouble again. But I think that you have enough restrictions, so I think that a smacking is in order, what do you think?.”

“You already spanked me this morning…”

“Those smacks were only to get your attention.” Snape rubbed circles into Harry’s back. “Should we get over this now?”

Harry wanted this to end. “Yes, Sir.” Harry was not expecting the smack that landed at his left buttock. Snape should wait until he was in position! “Ouch!”

“Remember not to call me Sir.”

“Dad!” Harry pouted as he was placed over Snape’s lap. Severus gave him six sound smacks. Then stood him up and held him again. Harry was glad that he wouldn’t have more essays or lines to write and because he felt that the matter was closed for his father. He cried into the embrace, relieved that his fears were subdued. He had a new mirror to remind him. The smarting of the smacks faded fast. After some minutes his father said. “Wash your face and hands we’ll have lunch and then we’ll go to Hogsmeade, I know of a boy that needs some ice-cream before he starts to write his lines.”

Chapter End Notes:
Just a small note on Harry's name. Severus called him Harry James Potter Evans Snape. In Mexico women do not loose their maiden's name so their children use it.
For Example, my name is Guadalupe Leticia Lara Alva.
Te frist two are my first names and the last two, the first is my father's last name and the second my mothers, both are used in documents and paper work. I just added Snape's last name also.