Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
More about the Slumber Party, I hope you like it. Thanks a lot to Celeste. Please review.
Chapter 20

Harry felt himself wake up in the dark room. He held his breath trying to guess what had brought him from dreamland. Near him he could hear Neville’ soft snores and also Ron’s… Malfoy and his dorm mates were also close. Harry could not identify them.

There were 17 children all in all in Snape’s and Harry’s quarters in the dungeons.

It had been very easy to do it. He, Hermione, Ron and Draco had planned it. Draco knew about the wards around Slytherin, they would be triggered if anyone leaves the room after curfew, technically they did not left their common room. They entered Snape’s quarters using his private entrance to the Slytherin common room. Harry only had to open the door. And for the Gryffindors... They met in their room half an hour before curfew. Harry had used his cloak; he had escorted Seamus and Dean to the library and then walked back for Neville and Ron. As almost every dorm was throwing a party nobody noticed. The prefect saw them going up their room, but as Percy was distracted by the twins, he did not check inside the room. They placed their pillows under the covers just in case…

The girls in Gryffindor had claimed that they need some ‘feminine assistance’ from Madam Pomfrey and were allowed to go out.

Once in his quarters Harry told everyone that they could not enter Snape’s bedroom or office. They had sleeping bags and distributed them between the living room and Harry’s room.

They asked for desserts from the kitchen elves and played charades and imitate their professors before turning off the lights and starting to tell scary stories.

The children were tired after the exams and the excitement of sneaking out of their common rooms, so they started falling asleep and at 11 no one was stirring. Harry turned in his sleeping bag. They had cushioning charms, so he did not feel the hard floor, he recalled that his father returned the next day. He would have to clean the quarters early. He had said that he was going to return on Friday, it was not going to be good if he arrived to a living room full of Slytherins and Gryffindors. Harry cuddled between his warm covers and fell asleep again.


Severus ran to the third floor corridor and opened the door carefully, he saw that the three-headed dog was occupied, one of the heads was chewing what looked like a torn harp, and the other two were trying to chew on it too. The trap under the dog was open and branches were coming out. Definitively someone had gone inside.

He closed the door and retraced his steps. Filius, Pomona, Poppy and Snape met in the Infirmary.

“You found Minerva’s missing cubs, have you not?”

“Minerva’s and more. There are a lot of children sleeping in my living room.”

“My house is all accounted for…”

“Slytherins, Gryffindors, boys and girls.”

“Not completely unheard of, but… I trust that you will have plenty to say when they wake up.”

“Yes. Have you checked on the Ravens?”

“Yes, all in bed and asleep.”

“And the staff.”

“Albus is with the minister and will come in the morning. Minerva and Quirrel are missing.”

“The third floor corridor has been disturbed… we need to go there.”

“Shouldn’t we wait for Albus?”

“We can’t all go, I think we should call the Aurors…”

“Albus would want to keep this between us…”

“Lets keep the students inside their common rooms, the elves can feed them there and they will be safe. Poppy, you, Pomona and Filch may manage until Albus arrives… Filius, would you come with me?”

“Certainly, Severus. We can bring Hagrid with us to take care of Fluffy.”

“The firsties are safe in your quarters?”

“Yes, Harry knows how to ask for meals, they wont starve. We’ll sort them out later.” Much later. Thought Severus. He needed time to wash them and rinse them properly.

“Severus, remember that the Devils’ Snare can be controlled with warmth and light. Do not harm it…” Snape thought that Pomona was just like Hagrid, both loving dangerous creatures…


Flitwick and Snape found Professor McGonagall in a heap near a gigantic chessboard. The figures were surrounding her protectively. They allowed Severus to kneel beside her. She regained consciousness as he touched her.

“Severus, you are back… I can’t find Harry…”

“Do not worry Minerva, he is safe in my quarters… What happened to you?”

“Quirrell… he said that he would come with me to help… Once I won the game… he hit me… the white knight helped me but… I think my leg is broken, the black tower went after him but I can’t tell you what happened… ”

“Do not worry.”

“The next room has your trap Severus…”

Snape stood up and through the door saw a black figure on the floor. The black tower he guessed, under it he could distinguish a turban, he walked closer and saw that not only the turban was under the chess piece, Quirrell had not been able to move from its way. He touched the man and realized that even if he was immobile, the man was not dead. He looked at the table where he had placed the potions. One bottle was empty, the stupid man had chosen wrongly…

Severus had warned him about the ‘Draught of the living death’. The man would not be able to be questioned until 24 hours after he drink the antidote…

Flitwick had placed a splint on Minerva’s leg and walked beside his colleague.

“He did not get too far.”

“Minerva has always been very good with transfiguration.”

“We need to take her to Poppy for medical attention, I’ll levitate the chess piece, you move Quirinus.”


It was tricky to take the two stretchers up the trap hole, they managed with Hagrid’s help. ‘Fluffy’ was happy, each head had a bone and was biting on them with relish.

At the Infirmary they found that Professor Dumbledore had arrived.

“Minerva?” The old man looked worried as his deputy levitated in the stretcher. Quirrell came behind her.

“Quirrell? What happen to you two?”

“He is in no position to answer, Albus.” Informed Severus. “He seems to have drunk the “draught of the living death”…

“And a chess tower fell on him…” Said Flitwick.

“We are not sure in what order.”

“He was after the stone, he attacked me… He hit my head… fortunately it was in the chess room…”

“Chess pieces are very loyal…” Said the white bearded man. “Why would he… We’ll have to wait to find out… And how do you feel?”

“I’ve been better Albus. I trust that Poppy will fix my leg, I will need a drink then.” Poppy started fusing around her. She moved her wand up and down and used her bone mending charm.

“Now Minerva, move your toes… it’s going to hurt a little but they need to be moving while the bone mends…” Minerva flinched but obeyed. The pain disappeared a moment later… The witch started breathing calmer. She looked at her colleagues around her… She was not really used to all that attention… “Severus, are you sure that Potter is all right?”

“Yes, Minerva, he is in my quarters, along with his dorm mates and my Slytherin first years… I think that the girls are there also, they are in Harry’s room…”

“The little Devil… how could they pull something like that…?”

“I’ll make him explain in the morning… now I am tired. I will go to sleep.”

“What do we do about Quirrell…?” Poppy was examining the odd man. “He seems to be in a kind of comma…”

“Oh… I’m tired… I forgot, he needs… I have to brew an antidote for the ‘draught of the living death’ I am not sure I’ve got the ingredients… He won’t move, just make him comfortable… I will be able to tell you in the morning, after I sort my house and my quarters…”

“Severus… you said that your quarters are full with Slytherins and Gryffindors?”

“Yes, Albus, they are camping in my living room…”

“May I see them?”

“Why would you want to do that?”

“Because… Severus it has always been my dream that the children could forget hat they are in separate houses and just be friends and children… because if what you said it’s truth… And I know it’s the truth… those kids are friends.”

“Did they thrash your quarters?” asked Pomona.

Snape breathed deeply… “I only had my wand lighted… the furniture had been moved toward the walls but the place was all right. The kitchen was full of dirty dishes, they were sleeping peacefully…”

“Please Severus… I have to see it. I promise I will be quiet…”

Severus left the room with the Head Master beside him. Once in his quarters he opened the door and conjured a light sphere. Albus Dumbledore was very silent as he looked around and saw that the children were sleeping peacefully. A big smile appeared on his face. Snape knew that he was going to regret it. The old man went out and back to the infirmary. Where he sat for a while beside Minerva. The witch was asleep. The frozen man had been placed on the other side of the infirmary. Only time would tell what had been his plans.


Harry woke up at 6.They all had to get in their beds before the rest of their house wake up… He sat down and lighted the lamps.

“C’mon on guys, time to wake up. We have to go…”

“Shut up, Potter… turn off the light!” Crabbe sat against the sofa.

“Harry…”Hermione went out of his rooms… “Aren’t you guys ready…?”

“We just woke up.” Draco shook Zabini and Goyle. “We can go back to sleep on our beds. Just open the door Potter. Thanks for inviting us.”

“Before you go, I’ll need your help putting the furniture back in its place…”

Once every one was awake they rolled the sleeping bags and were about to move the furniture when a voice spoke from behind them.

“Leave the sofa where it is, Gentlemen. Get ready to go back to your houses now. Ladies… let the kitchen be…”

“Professor Snape…”

Severus stood by the living room’s wall, he was wearing his robe and slippers but was as scary as always.

“Dad… let me explain…”

“You will have time for that later, Mr. Potter. Slytherins,” Snape opened the door to the common room… “I trust that you know the way. Go back to sleep. And do not leave your dorm until I call for you.”

“Yes, sir.” Nine voices said as they paraded out of the room. Severus closed the door after them. “Gryffindors… come with me. We do not want you to be lost on your way to your common room, do we?”

“Sir…”Hermione tried to talk.

“No time for that, Miss Granger. You do not want me to start docking points so early in the morning, do you?”

“No, Professor.”

“Close your mouth and come with me.”

Harry was walking between Ron and Neville…

“Not you, Mr. Potter. Go to your room, I will be right back.”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry saw his father flinch. This was a big mess.


Severus guided the children through the silent corridors of the castle. He arrived at Minerva’s quarters and wondered if the witch was back there. He knocked anyway and waited. His companions had been quiet all the time. The door was opened, but it was not the Head of Gryffindor. Albus Dumbledore dressed in his dark blue robes opened the door.

“Severus!”

“Head Master…”

“I see you are bringing them to Minerva, but she stayed with Poppy in the infirmary. I am covering for her. Children say thank you to Professor Snape for escorting you here and go back to your beds.

The children could see that Snape had not liked those instructions. “Thank you Professor…” Said the girls as they walked inside the office and the boys just nodded, the children hurried out of his sight.

“I am going back to my bed, Severus.”

“Albus…”

“We’ll talk later my boy. The children are unharmed and your quarters are also in one piece. No harm was done at all. We can wait for the sun to warm up before beginning to talk.

“Albus”

“I refuse to talk before my morning tea, Severus. And I will drink it at breakfast.” The old man was smiling but Severus knew that he was not going to arrive at anything else.

“Yes, Albus, see you later then.”

“Severus, I see that you left Harry in your quarters.”

“Yes.”

“I would like to talk with him if you do not mind…”

“I will bring him at 9. Albus, I presume that by then you would have finish your breakfast.”

“I will Severus.”

Meddling old man. He was so happy that the children had bonded that he was sure to give them points!

He had to admit that considering all the possibilities, finding the children in his quarters was the best out come. And the children had been sensible enough, nobody had tampered with his alcohol, and they had gone to sleep at a good time. He had entered his quarters at 11:30 at they did not stirred, that meant that they had been asleep for a while… Harry had looked so peaceful… and they were going to tidy the quarters and… But he had expressly forbidden Harry to have anyone else in their quarters… The boy had never had a place to call his own or to invite his friends… But Severus had said that he could invite any one when he was back… Where was the fun if you had a parent around when you wanted to talk about your parent?

The boy had looked so contrite when he sent him to his room… Severus will place the furniture in its place and try to sleep a little. Maybe Albus was right. They could wait until the sun was up before sorting this slumber business…

He opened the door. The light was on. The sofa and couch were back on their places. They were heavy, he should have told the boy that he should leave the room be.

“Harry?” The boy was nowhere to be seen. Snape looked in the boy’s room. The place was tidy. But his son was not there. A light was on in the kitchen. He looked there and saw that the plates were washed. Harry was sitting at the table. His head was resting over his arms and he was asleep.

“Harry…” he touched the boy on his back. “Harry you are going to hurt your back if you sleep there. Here” Snape held him up “let’s take you to your bed.”

“You are back. You took long to come back.” Severus was not sure that Harry was referring to.

“I’m here son.”

“Are you very very angry?”

“A little. But you can go back to sleep. We’ll talk later.”

“The girls slept in my room… they had privacy…”

“I know.”

“Please, let me sleep in your bed…”

“I need to sleep also Harry…”

“I missed you.” Severus took the boy to his bed and they both lie there. The little fiend, Harry was learning that if he got emotional he could wind Snape around his finger… Maybe the Hat had not been wrong and the child belonged in Slytherin. What was sure was that the child belonged to him.