Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Christmas.
Thanks a lot to Celeste and Lena for their help at betaing.
Please review.
LL
Chapter 8

It was Christmas morning and Harry woke up in his bed in Gryffindor Tower. He guessed it was around 8.00 in the morning. He cuddled inside his blankets. He would enjoy his bed a little longer. After all it was Christmas and he did not have to get up. This would be his Christmas present from himself.

Since he could remember Christmas morning meant to wake before the sun was up. It was the only day that his cousin woke up and left his bed with out being coaxed.

He would start jumping down the stairs, waking everybody in the household. Aunt Petunia would come down with him, and even Uncle Vernon. They liked to see the face of their precious son as he arrived to a living room covered with presents. And Harry would hear Dudley count the presents as he opened them, while Harry toasted and buttered bread. And started hotcakes or sausages and bacon. Everything to make each Christmas morning unforgettable for precious Duddykins…

Harry remembered them, and at the same time they were just one big blur. After getting breakfast ready he would take it to the living room, where his family proceeded to breath it in, while he, very carefully, picked up the pieces of bright colored paper that had covered the presents and tidied the room. He had to make himself invisible. Not that they paid much attention. Dudley would be playing with his presents and Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia would be exchanging theirs.

Harry would remove the plates as they were being emptied and get them to the kitchen to be filled again. He did use this time to have a good breakfast as no one paid any attention to him. It was as if he did not existed at all.

Around midday it was time to start the dinner. Harry and Aunt Petunia would have to get the Turkey ready. And Harry had to spend the rest of the day cutting and mixing ingredients.

When the turkey was ready, it was time for Harry to get inside the cupboard, as the guests would be arriving. Sometimes neighbors or work mates of uncle Vernon. Harry went to sleep early because he had to get up early to straight the house up before his relatives woke up.

Yes. Today Harry was going to stay in bed and he was not going to cook turkey. It was so nice that he was allowed to stay at school.

Harry kept his eyes closed until he heard a tapping at the window. He opened them and saw Hedwig, his white owl. He jumped from his bed and opened the window.

“Hi there girl! Merry Christmas!” He took from his trunk a fistful of owl treats and gave them to her.

Hedwig pecked on his hand carefully and showed him her leg. She had a letter tied there. Harry took it and unfolded it to read. It was a small note and Harry recognized Snape’s writing.

Mr. Potter.

Please meet me for lunch in my quarters.

Happy Christmas.

S. Snape

Well, thought Harry, that meant that he had to get up from his bed and get presentable. At least it was later than usual.

He stood up from his bed and felt chilled. He would wear his under robe today. He was looking for it when he saw some packages at the foot of his bed. He got closer and realized that they were presents.

Where had they come from? Had one of his dorm mates left them there? Intrigued, he got closer and saw that they had cards.

He thought that he was dreaming. Because the cards said that they were for him!

He had sent Christmas cards to his friends and expected them to do the same for him. But…

He opened the first present, removing the tape from the sides before unfolding the wrapping he was going to keep, and it was a knitted sweater and it said that it was from the Weasley family. This was so nice! Harry took the sweater between his hands and placed his face in it. It was so warm and it was… it was his first Christmas present. He opened another one, which was from Ron. It was a box of Chocolate frogs. He found a note inside written with Ron’s usual exuberance. ‘Merry Christmas!’ it said. Ron explained that his mother had sent Harry a Weasley sweater so he was officially part of their family, and he hoped that Harry liked the chocolates. There was another present. It was from Hermione, a book; Harry was not so surprised by Hermione giving up books, he was surprised as he saw that the book was about Quiddidtch!

Then he found a basket with rock cakes from Hagrid. And another present that did not have a note on the outside. He unwrapped the paper carefully and found a very strange material. It felt fresh to the touch and at the same time as soft as a spider web. He found a note inside that only said that the thing had belonged to his father and that he should use it wisely.

Harry could no longer see, as his eyes were full of tears.

This was the best Christmas he could imagine! He had presents and he had something that had belonged to his father. At last he had something that proved that his father had been real.

Hedwig hooted softly comforting him. Harry dried his tears and stood up. He chose his jeans and shirt and put on his new sweater.

He placed his gifts over his bed, but put the strange material folded in his pocket. He would find out what it was later. For now, he wanted to keep that link with his father close.

Harry went down to the common room and found his dorm mates there. They were drinking milk and cookies and also having cheese sandwiches.

“Hello, Harry! Serve yourself!” said one of his fellow Gryffindors. “On Christmas morning breakfast is served in the common rooms. You can eat whatever you want.”

“This is great!” Harry took a sandwich and a glass of milk. “What time is it?”

“I don’t know… Wood! Do you have a watch? What time is it?”

“Almost 10.00. Hi there, Harry… you decided to join us.”

“Yes. I wanted to stay a little longer in bed.”

“Good. We are going to have a little game of Quiddich in the snow later. Do you want to play?”

“Of course, Oliver!”

“After lunch on the Quidditch pitch then.”

“I’ll be there…”


Harry felt butterflies in his stomach as he arrived at Snape’s door. It was almost lunchtime. Harry did not want to be late. He had the Christmas card he had drawn for Snape in his hand. And suddenly he thought that maybe it was not such a good idea…

The door opened and it was like coming inside a different world. Harry guessed that Snape’s rooms were the only place in Hogwarts that was not decorated for Christmas. He kind of liked it. It was the same usual place.

Snape let him in and asked him to sit in the living room. Before he thought it was foolish, Harry took the card and gave it to his Professor.

“Happy Christmas, Professor.”

Snape felt awkward. He knew he had to do something with his ward this day, but he felt so out of place… he received the card and felt a pang in his heart and a little déjà vu.

Lilly had exchanged cards with him every Christmas until the time they fell out. And they were not commercial cards. They were always drawn by her… If only…

He received the card and saw that it had a chocolate frog taped in the back.

Harry looked at him expectantly. As if waiting for the floor to open…

Snape looked at the card. It had a Christmas tree in the front with colorful presents under. It read in Harry’s new round carefully made letters.

To Professor Snape.

On the inside the presents were drawn opened and it continued.

I wish you to be always Happy and thank you for everything.

Merry Christmas.

Harry.

Snape folded the card and looked at the young boy.

“Merry Christmas to you too, Mr. Potter. It is a nice card.”

“I made it.”

“I see. Thank you.”

Harry smiled.

Snape noted the sweater that Harry was wearing.

“I see that you had opened your presents. What did you get?”

“Oh! Professor, it was great! Mrs. Weasley sent me this sweater and Ron said that it is a Weasley sweater! He gave me frog chocolates. I can give you more if you want. I couldn’t tape more on the card because they are heavy… And Hermione gave me a Quidditch book and Hagrid sent me some cakes… It’s the greatest Christmas ever!”

“I see. And what did your family send to you?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders and said, “We do not exchange presents, Sir.”

“I see, Mr. Potter. I am glad that you are enjoying yourself.”

“Yes, Sir. I am looking forward the feast to night, Oliver said that it will be unbelievable and… he invited me to play Quidditch after lunch! And… I received another gift professor. I am not sure what it is. Could you tell me?”

“I hope so, what is it?”

Harry placed his hand in his pocket and took out the cloth. Snape saw it unraveling.

“I don’t know who sent it to me, as it only had a note that said that it had belonged to my father…”

Snape couldn’t believe it. It was an invisibility cloak! He was going to kill Dumbledore. Who in his right mind gave that to a child! And not any child! James Potter’s son!

Harry read Snape’s expression and let the cloak go. Surely it was something dangerous!

It took a moment for Snape to compose himself. He realized that he had scared the child, as his eyes were open like a couple of green saucers!

He picked the cloak up from the floor, and unfolding it said, “This is a rare thing, Mr. Potter. It’s an Invisibility Cloak, come here, wear it and see what happens.”

Harry felt as if a light breeze was placed over his shoulders and looking down to his feet realized that they were no longer there!

“Cool! This is great! And it belonged to my father!”

Snape scratched his head. “Yes, it belonged to your father.”

“What should I do with it?”

“Well you shouldn’t get in any mischief with it…”

Harry placed it over his head and Snape felt as if he was talking to himself.

He pulled the material until Harry’s head was again visible.

“I think that you should place it in your vault at Gringotts, Mr. Potter. I think it’s too dangerous for a child as young as you to have it…”

“I am 11!”

“I am aware of your age, Mr. Potter. You are also curious, and it would be a big temptation for you to have it and not to want to use it.”

“But, Professor… It’s the only thing that I have from my father… I will use it wisely… it’s what the note said.”

It was heartbreaking! Snape was not going to deprive this child of a link to his father, not on Christmas! He breathed deeply.

“I am not going to take it away from you, child. I only think that you should keep it in a safe place. I think it is a big responsibility for you to have such a thing and not to want to use it.”

“But I want to use it. I want to prank Ron’s brothers and… I… Where is Draco?”

“That is what I mean, Mr. Potter. You are a young boy who wants to have fun. And you do need to have fun, but this cloak will get you in trouble!”

Harry just kept quietly wriggling the cloak between his hands. Snape relented.

“Keep the cloak. But if I learn that you have used it for any kind of mischief I will keep it from you. Is that clear?”

Why had Harry showed it to Snape? To crazy-for-rules Snape! He should have asked Hagrid… or Ron. Now Snape knew about it and would be looking out for Harry to break any rule to take it from him.

“Is that clear, Mr. Potter?”

“Yes, Sir.” The child looked dejected.

“Mr. Potter. Please go to the kitchen and bring me the package that is on the table.”

“Yes Sir.” Harry placed his cloak back inside his pocket and went to the kitchen. He saw that there were some plates served with salad. He saw the package. It was like a brick. He took it and went back to the sitting room.

“Open it.”

Harry opened it and saw that it had pieces of parchment and a quill. Was Snape going to make him write lines?

“This, Mr. Potter, is a writing kit. Look at the pages,” They had a small snitch drawn on the top. “Touch the snitch with the point of the quill.” It flew around the page. Harry smiled, surprised.

“The quill won’t leak. Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter.” Harry turned and hugged Snape and felt the arms of the man around him.

“Thank you, Sir.” Snape released him from the embrace fast. He felt awkward.

“You may use it to write to your friends. Do not use the paper in class, I don’t want you to be distracted.” Snape felt safer with his role as teacher.

“The quill is going to help me a lot!” Harry smiled to his Guardian.

“You have improved your writing considerably…”

“Thank you.”

They sat down again.

“Well. I think that we must have lunch now.” Snape stood up and walked to the kitchen. Harry left his present on the coffee table and followed him.

“Yes, Sir.”

“We are having salad. You may choose if you want chicken or beef with it.”

“Chicken would be fine, Professor.”

They drank orange juice. And for dessert Harry was treated to crepes and ice cream.

After finishing, Snape said, “Well, I guess that you have to get ready for your game. Dress warmly.”

“Yes, sir. Would you come and see the game?”

“A walk in the yard seems like a good idea.”

“See you there, Professor. Thanks again for my present and… thank you for letting me keep the cloak…”

“Use it wisely. Be careful.”