Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12 – Friends

-II-

When he entered the room, they were playing Exploding Snap. "Hey, how are you doing?" Remus asked.

"We are fine. Do you want to join our game, Remus?" Hermione asked. She was still surprised that they were allowed to call the Remus by his given names even though he was their Professor.

"Good idea," Remus said and sat down on the carpet with the kids. Harry looked happy, and Remus was relieved that at least Harry was not worrying himself sick about the whole situation.

"Will you tell me what you talked about with Severus?" Harry asked carefully.

At first, Remus was puzzled as to how Harry could know about his talk with Severus, but then he realized that Harry was referring to the meeting. "All I can say is that Severus decided that he wants to be re-Sorted. He will meet the Sorting Hat for his second time tomorrow before breakfast." When Remus turned to Ron and Hermione, he asked, "Have you two already told Harry about the changes to the Heads of House?"

"Yes, they did," Harry said enthusiastically. "It's so cool that you are our Head of House now!"

Remus smiled down at Harry. "I'm glad you are so excited. Wait until I have you in my office for getting into some kind of mischief."

They all laughed and then played cards until it was time for lunch.

-II-

Lunch was horrible. Severus fought hard to get all the food down. Harry was already allowed to stand up and go for his nap, but Severus still had half of his meal on his plate. "I cannot eat anymore."

"Severus, your mind is tricking you. There is enough space in your stomach to eat this," Alastor said and took Severus' fork out of his hand. He scooped some vegetables onto it and moved it in the direction of Severus' mouth. He was relieved when Severus just glared but opened his mouth.

It was much easier to eat when Severus did not have to guide the fork to his mouth himself. Only Poppy and Alastor were in the room, so Severus decided to let the comfort win over shame. He let Alastor feed him.

"See, you are almost done. If you want, you can Floo to Charlie after lunch. Tonks wanted to visit him and hoped to see you as well. As you already had your nap, you can skip the midday nap."

Severus immediately felt better and smiled at Alastor.

Alastor tried to suppress a grin. Seeing Severus smile was just too good.

Ten minutes later, Alastor informed Charlie via Floo that Severus would come through in a few minutes.

"I better leave," Remus said, waving his good-bye to Charlie and kissing Tonks. "I will see you later."

"Hey, Sev," Tonks said, excited when the teen came through the Floo.

"Hi," Severus said uncertainly.

"Oh, my, don't tell me you're scared of me?" Tonks teased.

Severus glared at her. "Sometimes I hate you, Tonks."

"Cheer up, Sev, and come over to greet your old friend properly," she said joyfully and opened her arms.

"Why does everyone think I want to hug?" Severus was a bit annoyed that it was like this. He felt the urge to hug so many people lately.

"I'm not everyone. Come over here or I'll feel hurt," Tonks said and made a pout.

Severus rolled his eyes, and Charlie grinned, amused. Severus padded over to Tonks and let her hug him. When she started kiss his face, he tried to wriggle out of her grip. "Eww, stop, Tonks!"

"Oh, you are so cute, Sevipoo," Tonks said teasingly when she placed a very sloppy kiss on his cheek and let go of him.

Severus wiped his face with his sleeve. "I will never come close to you again."

"Oh, really?" Tonks said and grabbed him before he had time to jump away. Quickly, Severus was pulled onto her lap and she started to tickle him.

"Stop! Please!" Severus pleaded helplessly between giggles. "Charlie, help me!

"Let him breathe, Tonks," Charlie said even though he enjoyed the cheerful banter and the giggles immensely. It was as if a huge burden has been lifted off the friends. The last months had been horrible.

"But it's so much fun," Tonks squealed and ruffled Severus' hair before she let him go.

"Hey!" Severus protested and tried to flatten his hair.

"How much time do you have to stay, Sev?" Charlie asked.

"Around an hour or so. Alastor will call me when I have to go back," Severus replied. For the first time since the accident, he felt light-hearted. Being with his friends was great, and Severus wondered why it felt as if the age difference had always had been like this. He was only a little bit worried about what his friends thought about it, but he was already used to it. Maybe more memory sorting happened without me realizing it, Severus thought.

"Good, what would you like to do? Want to go outside?" Charlie asked.

That destroyed Severus' good mood, and he looked sullen again.

"We don't need to go outside, Sev. It was just a suggestion. We can stay here. What would you like to do? Just sit and talk? Play a game?" Charlie asked.

Severus shrugged. "Don't know."

"Why don't we train your hands a bit and draw? I need a new tattoo and have no clue what to get. We could all draw what comes to our minds," Tonks suggested. She had heard from Remus that Severus had loved to draw when he was young.

"I don't know if I can draw with them," Severus said and looked at his hands.

"Let's just try it, Sev. You can stop if it starts to hurt," Charlie offered and stood up to gather the utensils. "Want something to drink, you two?" Charlie asked when he came back.

"Yeah, I take a glass of cherry juice," Tonks said.

"I'm full," Severus said.

Charlie just looked at him, raising his eyebrow. "What? Are you my new guardians now?" Severus asked sullenly.

"No, but I know that you need to drink a lot of fluids, so what do you want to drink?" Charlie replied.

"Nothing," Severus tried again.

"What do you want to drink?" Charlie asked again as if he had not heard Severus.

Severus groaned. "Water."

Charlie sighed and called for a house-elf. "Which one is for Master Severus?" the house-elf asked. Severus glared at the creature.

"The water," Charlie answered, puzzled.

"Master Severus shall drink something with sugar," the house-elf stated.

"Says who?" Severus asked angrily.

"Mistress Pomfrey, Master Severus," the house-elf explained.

"But Master Severus wants water, and you have to do what Master Severus says," Severus said, trying to intimate the creature.

The house-elf was not swayed. "Mistress Pomfrey and Headmaster Dumbledore said to ignore Master Severus if he tries to change the order. What shall I bring Master Severus?"

"Nothing," Severus said grumpily.

Charlie groaned. "Bring him a glass of apple juice." At least Charlie remembered seeing Severus drink this once without grimacing. He knew for sure that he disliked pumpkin juice.

Severus still sulked when the glass was placed in front of him. "It will get bitter if you look at it like that," Tonks teased.

"Come on, give it a try and then we can start drawing," Charlie suggested.

Severus took a sip so that they would leave him alone. He was surprised at how good it tasted. His plan to drink as little as possible was useless when everyone pestered him to drink. While he was drawing, Severus did not even notice that he grabbed the glass every now and then and that it was refilling itself.

Tonks and Charlie exchanged glances while Severus was occupied with drawing, his tongue stuck between his teeth in concentration. The two adults were happy that Severus finally started to relax and accept his current situation. "Time to head home, Severus," Alastor said when he stepped out of the fireplace.

Severus jumped. He was so deep in concentration that he hadn't noticed the fireplace flare. "Hey, that looks great," Alastor praised Severus' dragon drawing.

"Yes, I think Tonks and I have to fight over who will get it as a tattoo," Charlie said cheerfully.

"Ha, you have no chance. Sev drew it for me!" Tonks said playfully.

Severus beamed. He was proud of his dragon, and it would be cool if Tonks decided to get it as a tattoo.

"Let's go, lad. Poppy and Harry are already waiting," Alastor said.

Severus jumped up and went over to Tonks to hug her. When she was close to his ear, she said teasingly, "What happened to not coming close to me again?" She laughed when Severus tried to wriggle out of her embrace and tightened it. "I was just joking, Sev. I like your hugs."

Severus relaxed again and then went over to Charlie. "I'll see you tomorrow in Potions, Sev," Charlie said and hugged the teen.

When Severus stepped out of the fireplace, he felt this urgent drive to go to the toilet again. Before Poppy could say something to him, he ran to the bathroom. He made it, but it was a very, very close call, and he swore to never drink anything at visits ever again.

"You all right, Severus?" Alastor asked through the door.

"Yes, I'm coming in a second," Severus replied.

Hearing the water run in the sink, Alastor waited if Severus really would come out. Shortly after Severus came out, Alastor transfigured some of his outdoor clothing to the right size.

///

"Briefs or boxers, boys?" Poppy asked.

Harry looked interested, but Severus blushed.

"Can I have one of both?" Harry asked uncertainly as if that was too much to ask.

"You will need at least ten, Harry. Choose the ones you like and place them in your box," Poppy instructed, and Harry already started to rummage through the offered underwear. "What about you Severus?"

Severus just looked at her. "Let me do this, Poppy. Just go on with Harry," Alastor said, amused.

Poppy looked puzzled. Sometimes she could not understand Severus. She had seen him naked several times while healing him, but he blushed when she asked what kind of underwear he wanted.

"So what do you like, Severus?" Alastor asked when Poppy had shuffled away with Harry.

"Don't know," Severus said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Look, there's a combination between briefs and boxers. How about that?" Alastor asked, showing some pants to Severus.

"They are okay," Severus said and threw a few of them in his box. Boxer shorts followed in several colors and also some with pictures on them. Severus really liked the black one with the red dragon.

"Fine, now some under shirts and socks," Alastor instructed and guided Severus in the right direction. A few minutes later, Harry came running over to them excitedly.

"Look, Severus!" Harry pushed a T-shirt into Severus' hands and held another one to his chest. On the one Harry held was printed little brother, and when Severus looked at his, there was a big brother printed on it. The shirts were black and the letters were red. "Please let us buy them!" Harry started to bounce excited. He was really starting to like this whole de-aging thing.

"As long as I get the big brother shirt," Severus said.

Alastor chuckled when Harry happily ran back to Poppy. "You are a very good big brother."

"Because I agree to wear a T-shirt?" Severus asked sarcastically.

"That's part of it," Alastor said and guided Severus over to Poppy again.

"Ten shirts and five sweatshirts, Severus. Then we just need the robes and the shoes," Poppy stated.

Severus was relieved when the shopping was over and they headed home. His hands hurt very much from the drawing and all the fitting in the shop, so he could hardly hold his knife at supper. He drank his nutrient potion with little protest and already felt full. He had never eaten as much as he had today. Now his hands hurt, and they shook when he tried to grip the knife.

"What's wrong, Severus?" Poppy asked.

"My hands hurt. I drew with Tonks and Charlie. Maybe it was too much."

"Let me see," Poppy said and went over to Severus.

Severus held out his hands and hoped Poppy could make them better.

After a short diagnostic spell, Poppy summoned a salve and applied it to Severus' hands. "That should help for supper, but you need to rest your hands, Severus. Alastor will prepare your bread."

Severus dreaded going to his room to sleep. It was dark and cold. Harry's room was bright and warm and cozy, but he could not overcome his pride to ask to sleep in Harry's room again or change his room. He was still lying awake sullenly when Alastor and Poppy came in to say good night.

"How are you, Severus?" Poppy asked while she and Alastor sat down on Severus' bed.

"Fine," Severus said shortly.

"You don't look it," Alastor stated. "Still worried about tomorrow?"

"Yes," Severus said. "And...." He sighed.

"What is it, my boy?" Alastor asked while Poppy stroked Severus's hair.

"It's so dark and cold," Severus said, staring at the ceiling.

"What is dark and cold, Severus?" Poppy asked, worried that he was speaking about how he felt inwardly.

"My room," Severus said sadly.

"You liked it like this as an adult, Severus. We can change it tomorrow. Do you want a bigger window and some warm colors on the walls?" Alastor asked.

Severus nodded and looked hopefully at Alastor. "Then we will change it tomorrow. How about you sleep in Harry's room again tonight?" Alastor offered. Severus' face lit up.

"I would say that was a 'yes,' Alastor," Poppy said, chuckling. It was so good to see the young Severus not hiding his emotions behind a mask.