Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 14 – First Day in Classes

-II-

Severus groaned. Was my schedule so packed the first time? At least I have a short Friday.

"Severus, we need to go in five minutes. You need to hurry," Alicia said worriedly while looking at Severus' plate. There was still one roll on it.

Severus threw a short glance at the head table and let the roll vanish under the table.

"I don't think so," Amy said, and another roll appeared on his plate. "Don't glare at me. I don't think you want to cause a scene. Professor Moody is glaring a hole in your back right now."

Severus carefully turned and realized that Amy was right. Sighing, he grabbed the roll and ate it without anything on it.

-II-

It seemed that he was not in trouble for leaving the slice of cheese and half of his egg on his plate. At least he was not called back when he left the Great Hall with Alicia and Oliver. Severus tried to avoid getting too close to any Gryffindors, even though he would have liked to speak with Harry. His first class was Potions, and he wondered what Harry's would be.

"Do you know what Gryffindor has now?" Severus asked Alicia.

"I think History. They tease us about how they get to sleep in two times a week and we don't," Alicia said.

"Two times?"

"Yes, they have a free period on Thursday morning, but we have a short Friday," Alicia explained.

"Okay," Severus said absentmindedly. His thoughts were with Harry at the moment. He felt a bit alone and lost even though it seemed that a lot of Ravenclaws had decided to be his bodyguards. He could hardly see anything but black and blue uniforms. Severus still wore his formal robes without any house symbols. He would get the school robes later.

"If you want, you can team up with me," Oliver offered. "Professor Weasley has asked Alicia to help Marbella and Trizia. They are morons in Potions."

"Oliver," Alicia said, affronted.

"What? It's the truth!" Oliver protested. "As if Severus wouldn't know. He was our teacher in first year."

Severus felt uncomfortable each time they mentioned that he was once their Potions Master. It felt weird, and he had the feeling that Professor Snape and he were two different people.

"Maybe you should remember what Professor McGonagall told us," Alicia said warningly.

"What did she say?" Severus asked curiously.

"Nothing, Severus," Alicia said and pushed the door to the laboratory open.

Severus stopped in his tracks when he entered the room. The smell and the whole exterior overwhelmed him. A cozy feeling and a feeling of safety overcame him.

"Are you okay?" Alicia asked, worried.

Severus realized that he had closed his eyes as he remembered the smell and the feeling. When he opened them, he blushed because almost all eyes were on him. Hufflepuffs were looking curiously at him and the Ravenclaws looked worried. Blushing deeply, he looked down. "I'm fine."

Alicia threw a glance at Oliver. "Come on, Severus, my working place is over there," Oliver said and pulled Severus to the second row.

"Everyone here?" Charlie Weasley came in through his office door. He looked around and smiled when his glance fell on Severus, who rummaged his potion book out of his bag. "I'm very glad to have you in my house, Severus."

Severus blushed even more. He hated when he blushed. It was so visible against his pale skin, and he felt as if his head was burning. He tried to suppress it down, but it was useless.

"Let's start," Charlie said, grinning. He was very proud of his Ravens for accepting Severus so openly. "Today we will brew a Burning Salve. Madam Pomfrey has run out of it, and I hope that a few samples will be good enough for her to use. Please have a look at the instructions on the blackboard. If you have any questions, just ask me."

Severus was nervous. He hoped desperately that he had not forgotten anything about Potions, but just looking at the blackboard made him realize that he really had to read the instructions because otherwise he would not have been able to start preparing for the brewing. He was certain that he could have brewed this potion in his sleep without a list as an adult. The frown line on his forehead became even deeper than it had already been.

"Would you go and get the ingredients, Severus? I will prepare our worktable," Oliver asked, not knowing what was going on in Severus' head.

"Hmm." With that, Severus stomped into the Potions storage. He had to go twice because after checking the list again, he saw he had forgotten to gather two ingredients. Saying that he was pissed was an understatement. He was so angered with himself that Oliver had to address him twice before he looked at him.

"Ehm...I can shred the Boomslang skin. Would you slice the caterpillars?"

"Sure," Severus said and started his task.

Charlie was a bit worried when he saw how Severus sliced the caterpillars. He feared for Severus' fingers. While Severus and Harry brewed, Harry had done most of the preparations. Charlie reminded himself to speak with Oliver, so the boy would do the cutting in future. At least until the Healers have made some progress with Severus' hands. After an hour, Severus' hands started to shake, and he almost cut himself several times. Charlie waited a few minutes to see if Severus would seek Oliver's help, but when he did not and got more frustrated instead, Charlie knew he had to intervene. Sighing, he stood up and went over to Severus. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the looks some of the students threw at him. Most of them who were working close to Severus had already realized the problem. Oliver had not noticed because the cauldron was between them, and he was busy preparing ingredients. They were ahead of the others, and Oliver was full of vim to finally be in the best team now.

"Severus?" Charlie addressed Severus, who had not even noticed the teacher's approach.

Severus looked up, surprised, and immediately blushed again for being was a freak. He was not even good at Potions anymore. Oh, how he dreaded to even think about Transfigurations and Charms. He would make a total fool out of himself. He had not been good in those classes the first time around, and now with his magic core damaged, it would be a disaster.

"Rest a moment, Severus," Charlie said and took the knife out of Severus' shaking hands. "Drink something and rest. When you feel ready to go on, you can start measuring your ingredients. Oliver can handle cutting the rest of your bark." Charlie waved his wand and a glass of apple juice appeared. Another wave and it was kept sterile no matter what substance was on Severus' hands. Better safe than sorry, even though they were not using any toxic ingredients today.

Severus glared at the glass and crossed his arms over his chest.

Charlie leaned close to Severus' ear, so only Severus could hear him. "You can pout, Severus, but you won't leave my class without drinking this glass of apple juice."

"I have Transfigurations after this class," Severus protested.

"Then you should drink or I will give your classmates a note for Professor McGonagall saying that you are excused from classes for today."

Severus looked shocked at Charlie. He opened his mouth a few times, but nothing came out. That was so unfair. Charlie tapped the glass twice and looked at Severus warningly. Then he went to check the work of the other students.

"Come on, we are almost done cutting and shredding, and we are quite ahead. A short rest won't hurt." Oliver tried to calm Severus, but only earned a glare for it.

After two minutes of pouting, Severus grabbed the glass angrily and drained it halfway. He glared at it, daring it to refill itself but was satisfied when it did not. The sugar helped, and he felt better. His hands stopped shaking after five minutes, and he started measuring. When the bell announced the end of the class, Oliver and Severus were two of the few students who had brewed a perfect orange burning paste. At least that was a little success. Maybe I'm not useless in everything, Severus thought, relieved.

Transfigurations was a disaster like Severus had thought it would be. He shared a table with Harry and tried to ignore the Gryffindors around him. Their red uniforms made him feel sick, and their grins when he was not able to turn his needle into a button did not help his mood. Harry tried several times to speak with Severus, but his brother ignored him completely. When an hour was over, Severus shifted in his chair uncomfortably. That glass of apple juice. Why did Charlie have to force me to drink it? Severus thought, frustrated. He could feel Minerva's eyes on him, but he tried to ignore her.

"You will read chapter two now until I return. A word outside in the hall please, Mr. Snape," Minerva said sternly.

Severus groaned. He was not even certain that he would make it out of the class without, as the Healer called it, an "accident." He tried to hide his problem as much as possible and made it outside.

"Toilet. Now. Severus!" Was all Minerva said, and Severus ran as fast as he could. Fortunately, there was a boys' lavatory close to the Transfigurations classroom.

He came back with red cheeks, not looking at Minerva, who still stood at the door. I will be able to count the hours when I'm pale skinned on one hand after this day is over, Severus thought.

"Severus, I hope you will ask by yourself to be let out to go to the bathroom next time," Minerva reprimanded him.

Severus did not look up. He just waited for the tongue lashing to be over. It was not very awkward. Minerva had been his teacher when he was at school the first time, and he could still remember her from then. As an adult, he never could forget her as his teacher, and he always had great respect for her.

"Severus, look at me!"

Severus felt her bony hands lift his chin. The fingers were longer than Poppy's, but all in all they felt similar. He drew out all the comfort he could from this small gesture like a sponge.

"How do you feel?"

"Okay. Really, Professor," Severus stated.

Minerva sighed. "I hope so. If you feel tired, let me or any of your teachers know."

"Sure," Severus said, but it was very clear that he would not.

Minerva sighed and then entered the classroom with Severus close behind her.

/

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, puzzled, when they left the Transfigurations classroom.

"Don't you have a few of your housemates to annoy?" Severus asked angrily.

Harry was hurt. Why does Severus push him away? Would it be like this from now on? "They're stupid. They all just look at me as if I'm a superhero," Harry said sullenly and tried hard to keep pace with Severus. He looked backwards and saw several Ravenclaws follow them. It seemed that Severus had more luck with his house.

"You are a bloody superhero, Potter." Severus spat out Harry's family name with so much venom that Harry stopped in his tracks. He got curious glances from the Ravenclaw group that had followed them, and then they vanished behind a corner. Harry stood there, shocked.

"What? Did you think he would want to be seen with you, Harry?" Greg said evilly. "He is a Slytherin through and through. I bet he threatened the hat to sort him into Ravenclaw and not in Slytherin. Afraid of his own house."

"Yeah, he is such a jerk," Leroy added. "It's time we teach him a lesson." Both fifth year boys laughed evilly and bumped their bulgy shoulders.

"You will not," Harry said angrily.

"Why not, Harry? Look at how he treats you. As if you are a piece of scum. You are not worth being in his presence any longer. The Slytherin Prince doesn't want to be seen with a Gryffindor," Leroy stated.

It hurt. It hurt very much because that was exactly what Harry feared right now. "That's not true," Harry whispered, not very convincingly.

"Lie to yourself as much as you want, but we know what we saw." With that said, Leroy and Greg went for the Great Hall.

Harry pushed his small body behind the armor. He did not want to see anyone. He felt lost and alone. It was the first time he really hated the accident.

/

"The wand points in that direction. The pointing spell isn't lying!"

"But there is no pathway there, Hermione!"

"I can see that myself, Ronald!"

Harry groaned and a second later, a red head appeared behind the armor. His hiding place was discovered. "Will you come out, mate?"

"I would prefer to stay. It's quite comfortable," Harry lied.

A bushy-haired girl appeared beside the red-haired boy. "Come on, Harry. What happened?"

Harry closed his eyes and pressed them against his knees. "Severus happened."

Hermione and Ron looked at each other, puzzled. Hermione threw a glance into the hall at Dean and mouthed 'Madam Pomfrey' to him. Dean saluted and made a run to the Great Hall.

It was cold in the halls even though it was late summer. When Hermione crouched down close to Harry, she shivered. "It's freezing here, Harry. Do you want to catch a cold?"

"I don't care," Harry said miserably.

"Harry, tell us what happened," Hermione pushed her friend.

"He doesn't want anything to do with me." And there it came...the big emotional wave, and it knocked Harry over. He started sobbing.

Hermione was relieved when she heard hurried footsteps coming closer.

/

Severus sat in front of his plate. He could not believe how much was piled on it. Under no circumstances would he be able to eat that much.

A pop behind him made Severus jump. When he turned, he saw a house-elf staring at him. In its ugly hands was the dreaded nutrient potion. Shocked, Severus looked at the creature.

"Master Severus has to drink his potion!" the house-elf squeaked.

"I already had it in the morning. I'm not supposed to take it at lunch," Severus argued.

"Master Severus has to drink his potion!" the house-elf repeated.

"I already had it. How dumb are you?"

"Master Severus has to drink his potion!" the creature stated, not a bit fussed by Severus' reaction.

Severus looked up at the head table, and what he saw made his blood freeze. Poppy was glaring at him, and Alastor had his arms crossed over his chest. This gesture always meant trouble. They had found out that he had poured the potion in the sink. But how? Harry could not have told them because he had been in classes. So how could they know? He was pulled out of his thoughts when the creature repeated its order again.

Sighing, Severus grabbed the vial and drained the potion as quick as possible. Pulling a face, he shoved the empty vial back at the house-elf and drained his glass of milk, mentally noting that he needed to go to the loo before he headed out for Care of Magical Creatures.

Severus had sullenly eaten almost half of his meal when he heard mumbles all around. Looking at the head table, he saw Poppy and Alastor leaving the hall. Dean Thomas stood close to them and glared in his direction. A suspicious glance over to where Harry normally sat made it obvious that Harry had not come for lunch. Now Severus was really worried. What had he done. What had he said to Harry?

Chapter End Notes:
There will come more about Harry as well, but first it is Severus who is in main focus! Later they will be both more together than apart.

So what do you think about Severus' first classes and his friends and enemies?

Please review!