Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 21 – The Thief

-II-

Alastor growled. "Poppy, they need to concentrate on their school work. I had a talk with Filius and Minerva. Severus has a lot of difficulties in their classes. Harry even attempt to not be able to perform in class just for Severus. This can't happen. Filius talked with Harry and ask us not to intervene right now, but we should inform Maria and James about Severus' difficulties. What do you say?"

Poppy sighed. "Yes, we should tell them, but I think it is normal. Severus will need time, and he is pressuring himself too much in front of his classmates. I think you should offer to teach him privately in the evenings and on weekends. Maybe Charlie, Tonks, and Kingsley will have time as well."

"That's a good idea. Don't let your head hang, love." He lifted her chin with one of his hands and kissed her softly.

"I know, I just want them to be happy," Poppy whispered against his lips.

"You are such a lovely mother," Alastor said, grinning. He kissed his wife again. The soft kiss became more heated, and Alastor pulled his wife closer before shutting and locking the office door.

-II-

At first, Severus had been nervous about his meeting with the Slytherins. Then he had been angry because they seemed to think he was a baby and they could push him around. As if he was a trophy which they wanted for their house. Frederick had told another Ravenclaw boy to watch over Severus while he was in the Slytherin common room, but Severus had tricked the boy, so now he was without a chaperone.

Severus was pacing the Slytherin common room. "I will decide for myself who will be my friends. I don't need your help, Trevor," Severus spat at Karlay.

"I'm not telling you whom you should befriend. I'm just trying to introduce you to some second and third years, Severus."

They had all become comfortable with calling him by his first name much too quickly for his taste. "I have no interest. I don't need friends, okay? I won't even be at school for long, and I will be able to look out for myself."

"You don't need to lie to us about your condition. It was all over the-"

"Trevor," Anthony Barth interrupted him warningly.

"What?" Severus looked angrily from one to the other. "What did you want to say?"

"Nothing. Back to the second years, Severus. Marcus here-"

"No, I want to know what you were going to say. What's about my condition?"

Trevor groaned. "Come on, we all read it. Okay? It's fine. We can take care of you, and I'm sure you can even become something decent after school."

Severus looked shocked. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Anthony came over to Severus. "Don't listen to him, Severus. Maybe we should meet again later."

Severus could not stop himself. He grabbed Anthony's shirt and pulled him close to intimidate him. Too bad the boy was almost a head taller than him. Anthony merely shrugged and pried Severus' fingers from his shirt, careful not to hurt Severus because it was already quite obvious that the action had caused Severus pain. "Your Healers have given your medical records to the press, Severus. We know everything."

Severus felt his heart stop beating. What records? And what was with the Slytherins speaking with him as if he were a Squib? Panic rose up. Maybe the adults had lied to him. "Give me the article!"

"No, I think we should end this meeting now, Severus. I will bring you back to your quarters," Anthony said, determined.

"The hell you will! I'm not your stupid pet, nor am I a damn second year!" With that, Severus stormed out of the room. He needed to get a Prophet. Charlie! Yes, he would have one in his office, and Severus still remembered the password.

"Is Charlie in there?" Severus asked the scary-looking man in the portrait that guarded the entrance to his old office.

"No, the current Potions Professor is not inside," the man answered curtly.

Severus smirked triumphantly. "Hard as steel." Nothing happened. "Why aren't you opening?"

"That is not the current password, and you are a student."

"What? Are you dumb? I'm Severus Snape. I placed your portrait here. Open up!"

"No, students are not allowed in here, Mr. Snape."

"You...you..." Severus furiously turned on his heels and went for the entrance hall. He wanted a Prophet, and he would find one in Hogsmeade.

Even though it was daytime, Severus started to feel scared when he was on the path that led through the Forbidden Forest to Hogsmeade. He reprimanded himself for behaving like a baby. He had never been afraid of the Forest before, so why should he be afraid now?

He tried to avoid looking at anyone in Hogsmeade. He still wore his normal black robes instead of his Ravenclaw ones because Poppy was not finished altering them. At least people would not know that he was a Hogwarts student. Still, it must have been very unusual to see a boy in formal robes in Hogsmeade during the week. Quickly, Severus made his way over to the books and newspapers shop. The shop was crowded, which gave Severus a good opportunity to hide behind a big newspaper and magazine rack. He found the Prophet and was surprised to see himself on the front page. Or, rather, his old self. Harry was also on it, and at first, Severus could only read things about Harry. The Poor Chosen One-What Did He Do to Deserve This? Is Severus Snape responsible for the potions accident? Questioning about this matter is still open. Guardians are working against the Ministry. Severus moved the newspaper so he could read a bit of the article. The words he read about himself made his mouth go dry. His heart beat faster. Severe brain damage. Severe magical core and channel damage. Not sure if he will ever be able to perform magic again. Should be in St. Mungo's locked wards for brain-damaged and magically-deprived. Suicidal. Eating disorder. Guardians refuse to give him proper treatment. Investigation against Alastor Moody and Poppy Pomfrey.

Severus felt cold sweat run down his temple. They wanted him in St. Mungo's because they thought he was suicidal, had severe brain damage, and could do almost no magic. Why did James and Maria not tell him? And why did they give that report to the newspapers? Now everyone knew what a cripple he was. They even thought him responsible for the accident. Severus needed to read the whole article, but he had no money. He peaked around the rack and saw two women talking with the shopkeeper. Quickly, Severus grabbed a newspaper and pushed it under his robes.

"Hey!"

Damn, the shopkeeper had seen him and was coming over to him. In a panic, Severus ran out of the shop and into a rack of newspapers and a bargain bin with old books. The Prophet fell out of his robes as he landed in the bin with the rack on top of him. Before he could free himself, the shopkeeper had him at his neck. "Wait, you rascal. I'm sick of you boys thinking you can steal my things and sell them."

"I haven't stolen anything," Severus lied and tried to get out of the shopkeepers grip.

"Oh no, you don't." He grabbed Severus by his arm. "Don't lie to me. I saw you shoving something under your robes. The fact that you lost it while damaging my shop isn't my problem. I have eyewitnesses." The man gestured over to the two women, who nodded.

"No, please," Severus said and still tried to wriggle free. Alastor would be furious.

"I will call an Auror."

Severus tried to struggle as if his life depended on it, but then the shopkeeper pulled him very hard and Severus winced in pain. "Stop this, or I will beat you like you deserve it before the Auror arrives."

Severus stared, shocked, at the shopkeeper and did not dare to struggle anymore. The Floo was used and minutes later, an old Auror stepped out of the fireplace. After the shopkeeper had explained what happened, the Auror took Severus and pulled him into the fireplace.

In his office, the Auror started to question Severus, but the boy insisted that he had not stolen anything and refused to say his name.

Severus was saying for the fifth time that he would not give his name when the door opened and a pink-haired head peaked in. Shocked, Severus recognized Tonks.

"Ah, so the rumors are true?" she said and stepped into the room.

"What rumors?" the old Auror asked, confused.

"That you have Severus here. What happened?"

"Severus? As in Severus Snape?" the Auror asked, surprised. He eyed Severus closely, who bit his bottom lip. "Now that you mention it...."

"Yes, that Severus. He didn't tell you his name?" Tonks asked.

"No, he didn't, and he refuses to tell me what he attempted to steal and why."

"Where did you arrest him?" Tonks asked while she drew a chair close to Severus.

"McMiller's bookshop. The shopkeeper couldn't say what he had put under his robes, but he has two witnesses who also saw him stealing. He ran away when the shopkeeper tried to question him but stumbled and fell. So was it a book, Severus? A Potions book?" Trying to find a solution for his de-aging problem would be something the old Auror would guess Severus would do.

Severus gulped and looked from the Auror to Tonks and back.

"Severus, you won't leave this office unless you tell us what you wanted to steal and why," Tonks said, serious but friendly.

"I did not steal, I...I just had no money. I would have paid later."

The old Auror raised his eyebrow. "That's still stealing, Severus."

Severus looked down at his hands in his lap.

"What was it, Severus? Did you try to find a book about de-Aging? You know it can't be reversed," Tonks said emphatically.

Severus was angry now. All that he had read came back into his mind. They had all lied to him. "I'm not speaking with you."

Tonks looked puzzled. "And why is that?"

"You are one of them!" That was all Severus said before he crossed his arms over his chest and looked to the side at the door. Unfortunately, said door was knocked on only a moment after he had started to stare it down. To Severus' horror, Kingsley stepped in.

"Sorry, I was looking for Ms. Tonks. It's an emergency. Severus Sna-" His eyes fell on Severus, who looked terrified at him. "You already found him?"

"So he is missed at Hogwarts?" Tonks asked.

"Yes, they are in an uproar." Kingsley stepped in and looked seriously at Severus. "What happened, Sev?"

He was one of them too, so Severus turned his head stubbornly to the other side, even though that meant he had to face the old Auror again.

"Maybe you two try to get something out of him while I inform his guardians that he is here?" the old man suggested, wanting to give the boy some privacy.

Kingsley nodded and sat down. "Severus, what is this all about? And why are you not speaking with me?"

"Go away. I want you all to leave me alone. You are all lairs." Severus hated himself for starting to cry. Emotionally unstable crossed his mind, and he felt even more frustrated.

Kingsley looked questioningly at Tonks, who quickly told him what she knew.

The old Auror came back to the desk and informed them that his guardians were waiting for him to be returned as soon as the questioning finished.

Severus' chin was taken, and he was forced to look at Kingsley. "You will tell me now what you did in that shop and why the hell you are mad at us." Severus tried to get his chin out of Kingsley's grip. "No! You will talk now!"

Severus was terrified. He knew his friend could be like this, but that behavior was only directed at him when he had done something very stupid or was being stubborn. That had happened quite often in the past few months, but it was never as terrifying as it was now as a child. "I...they...they said I..."

"Calm down and start anew, Severus," Kingsley said, more friendly this time.

Severus breathed deeply and then looked down. "They implied that I would never be the same again and that I will hardly be able to do anything decent in future. They said it was in the Daily Prophet. Charlie changed the password, so I couldn't get into the office. I knew he would have had a Prophet. The stupid portrait said I'm just a student. Then I thought about Hogsmeade, but I forgot to take any money with me. In the shop, I...I found it but could only read parts of it, but those parts were enough to know that I needed to read it completely because you are all lying to me. I won't go back. You all are not telling me the truth. You make me go to school even though you know that I'm not right in my head and will never be again. Do you think that's funny? I hate you all!" Severus shouted and stood up to run to the door. A jet of yellow light passed him and hit the door to lock it. Severus knew it, but still he desperately tried to open the door until Kingsley grabbed him from behind and pulled him on his lap.

"Severus, calm down. That article wasn't entirely true. The results of your test have been revealed by someone, but it was neither us nor your Healers. The Ministry must have had a leak. The content of your medical record is not identical to what you read in the Prophet. We already pressed charges against them, Severus. Tomorrow, an apology will be printed."

Severus was sobbing. "They wrote that I should be in the closed ward at St. Mungo's. They say I'm damaged and that there is an investigation against Alastor and Poppy and-" He was hyperventilating now.

"Calm down, Severus," Tonks said softly and stroked his hair. Kingsley's gentle hand on Severus' back helped as well, and Severus slowly started to breath normally again.

"I will go and speak with the shopkeeper. I'm sure he will not press charges against Severus after knowing the situation. Should I inform a Healer?"

"No, I think we will just wait until you let him go and then we will bring him back home. He has an appointment with one of his Healers today anyway," Kingsley explained.

"You can take him back. Tell Alastor I will call him later or come by myself so he can sign the necessary paperwork." The old Auror stood up and patted Severus' head. "Everything will work out, boy."

"Alastor will be furious," Severus mumbled miserably, but still he wanted to go home.

"I heard he promised to be lenient, didn't he?" Kingsley asked, smiling.

The old Auror smiled kindly and then vanished through the door.

Tonks went ahead of Kingsley and Severus to inform his family about what really happened. Kingsley, meanwhile, calmed Severus down a bit. The boy was still very terrified of what was awaiting him.

When Kingsley stepped out of the fireplace with Severus, the boy hardly had time to breathe in before Poppy was all over him. "What did you think, running away like that, Severus?" she scolded him, but nevertheless hugged him tightly.

"We will talk in your room now, Severus," Alastor commanded, and Severus heart sank into his boots.

"Alastor, please," Poppy tried to intervene, but was stopped by the stern look and the lifted hand of her husband.

"No, Poppy," Alastor said sternly and then grabbed Severus arm. "Come."

When they arrived in his room, Severus was a sobbing mess again. After locking the door and putting a Silencing Spell on the room, Alastor grabbed Severus' shoulder and turned him to face him. "You broke a lot of rules today, Severus, and I'm very angry. You can't just go and run away to Hogsmeade or anywhere else. You are twelve! Do you understand that?" He shook Severus and the boy cried even harder. "We were worried sick. Poppy almost had a heart attack. Albus couldn't sense you on the school grounds, and then we heard from the Slytherins how you behaved. You even tried to break into Charlie's office instead of coming here and asking us about what the Slytherins had told you. No, you ran away, thinking that you are safe running around like that. Do you think there aren't still people out there who want to see you dead, Severus? Do you want to run into them alone? Then you tried to steal the Prophet instead speaking with the shopkeeper about paying for it later. Did you even think once today?" Alastor was shouting directly at Severus. Severus could hear him even over his hard sobs.

"I...I'm sorry," Severus cried.

"I hope you are," Alastor bellowed, turned Severus around, and administered two swats to his bum. Severus had expected that, but still it stung like hell. He was surprised when that was all, and he was turned around again. "This will not happen again. You will not get away with something like this so easily. Is that clear?"

Severus nodded feverishly as he tried to get rid of all the snot and tears on his face with one hand and rubbed his bum with the other hand.

"I didn't hear you, Severus," Alastor said, this time calmer.

"Yes, sir," Severus said between more sobs.

"Good. Now let's get you cleaned up or they will think I tortured you," Alastor said, shaking his head while looking thoughtfully at the boy he called his son for a long time.

Severus shyly took Alastor's hand and hoped he would not push him away.

Alastor pulled Severus closer by the hand. "We were damn worried, Severus. Anything could have happened to you."

"I know. I'm sorry. Please stop being mad at me. You already spanked me. Now it must be forgiven, right?"

Alastor groaned and pulled Severus in a hug. "Yes, it is all forgiven, but you need to think before you do something like this again. And you need to learn to come to us when you have a problem or a question. We could have easily told you that the article was wrong."

Severus nodded into Alastor's chest.

"That was not my idea of getting you clean, Severus."

Embarrassed, Severus pulled away, but when he saw Alastor grin at him, he felt much better.

"Let's go to the bathroom."

Severus let Alastor wash his face like a good boy. He even let Alastor guide him to the living room by his hand.