Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 31 – Meditation

-II-

Severus looked unhappily at Minerva. "You won't tell Alastor and Poppy? I mean, the parents of other students aren't informed about things like this, right?"

"We don't need to inform them. They will be present for the staff meeting in twenty minutes, and I bet that Cuthbert will make your behavior a topic there again."

Severus felt sick. So he would be in even more trouble when he came home. Immediately, the Astronomy Tower came into his mind. Why was he always thinking about that tower when he did not want to go home?"

"I want you to go home now, Severus; no detours," Albus said knowingly. "Remember, you have your first lesson with Professor Montanasi in half an hour."

Severus looked accusingly into Albus' twinkling eyes. "It's not legal to read other people's mind."

"Says Mr. A-Little-Legilimency-Here-And-There-Can't-Hurt," Minerva laughed.

-II-

Severus cursed. "It's not working!" He threw the soil he had held in his hand to the ground.

"Stay calm," Harry instructed and could not decide if he should look at the fuming Severus or Hamid, who was using water magic to pull two streams of water out of the little pond they were sitting close by.

"How the hell is he doing that?" Severus asked angrily while he looked at Hamid's handwork. Hamid was moving his hands to combine the two streams. "I'm going home. I still need to write the essay for Binns. The old coot is waiting for the next chance to get me in trouble."

"We aren't allowed to leave the forest alone, Severus. We need to go together." Harry caught Severus by the sleeve of his robes.

Before Severus could reply, a loud splash was heard and Hamid rose.

"We should meditate. Your aura is flaring again, and you are losing too much magic," Hamid said calmly and sat down close to Severus, striking his mediation pose.

"I have no time for meditation. This is not helping. I'm unable to do elemental magic."

"Calm down, Severus. You know you are not supposed to get angry. Anger burns your magic. Let's meditate like Hamid suggested," Harry intervened.

"What for?" Severus asked angrily and tried to get rid of Harry's hand.

"You are already making progress. You are doing better in most classes, and Radgarid says you are good at meditation. It helps your magical channel net to rebuild the connections. Come on, a bit of channel mediation will calm you down and then we can start again."

Grumpily, Severus let Harry pull him down, and he got himself in his preferred mediation position, the lotus seat. Three weeks had passed since Severus had started his training with Radgarid. Harry was right. Radgarid had often praised him for his meditation method. He said that Severus' aura was changing because of it, and he was even able to make his magical core refill itself quicker. No one had hoped for something like that. Severus was able to control the ability of refilling his core. That was great progress. Only Severus did not see it as such. He just saw that he still was unable to do earth magic. He could feel the magic in the earth. It definitely was his element, but he had no clue how to control and use it. He was not able to link the connection between his magical channel system and the earth magic.

Radgarid had stopped the training and asked Severus to stop pressuring himself so much. He said that meditation would best help to his magical system to heal. It frustrated Severus to no end.

Severus needed five minutes to calm down enough to start meditation. Harry was already lightly swaying from side to side, which meant he was deep in his mind now. His little brother was happy about any progress he was making in his elemental magic, contrary to Severus, who never was satisfied with himself. Harry had hoped to be able to use air magic to help his lung problems. It annoyed him a lot, especially during Quidditch. Unfortunately, he found no connection to the elemental magic of air, and Hamid told him it was one of the hardest to master for most wizards. So Harry tried to use the mediation method for getting his breathing problems a bit more under control. James and Maria already noticed change for the better.

Hamid had gotten Radgarid's permission to tell Harry about the meditation and elemental magic, and he had offered to train Harry. Unfortunately, Poppy had voted against it and her word was law. It would be too stressful for Harry to learn elemental magic. Meditation was all right for Poppy, but no training.

Severus tried to stop his frustrating thoughts and self-doubt to meditate successfully. After another five minutes, he was ready to go. It was very calming to hear your own heartbeat. Severus tried to feel his magical core and found it still buzzing and heated. It was still burning magic for nothing because he had been out of control again. If he went on like that, Radgarid would never start training him again. Severus slowed his breathing and felt his magical core getting calmer and more balanced. After a few more minutes, he was able to stop burning magic and start rebuilding more of his core. Severus tried to "reach" for his magical channel net and stimulate the torn channel net, the dead channels, his joints, and the thin new connections between the joints in the channel net. The Healers and Radgarid were fascinated with how much Severus could control his magical core and channel net, but for Severus it still was not enough. It was developing too slowly.

A hand on his shoulder pulled him out of the mediation. Severus blinked a few times and then noticed that Harry and Hamid were standing beside him. Quickly, Severus got up, using his height to feel more powerful. Hamid was still smaller than Severus, but he made up for his height by his calm, adult behavior.

"We need to go back home. Hamid has his next training session in half an hour and we still need to do homework. We have one of our tutoring sessions with Alastor this afternoon as well."

Severus shook his head over Harry's excitement.

Hamid placed a hand on Severus' shoulder and steered him in the direction of the castle. The Indian boy knew exactly how Severus often felt about Harry's behavior. Harry was a miracle to Hamid. Always so cheerful about small things. Sometimes Hamid wondered if Harry realized how confusing he was to Severus. He never seemed to notice the strange looks Severus often threw in his direction.

"We need to find another gift for Poppy soon, Sev. Her birthday is in three weeks," Harry stated while he tried to find the way back to the castle without Hamid's help.

"We could still brew Wrinkle Cream for her."

"Are you crazy? I don't want to end up as a toddler. Malfoy would make my life a living hell. It's bad enough now. He really thinks it's my fault."

"He is only teasing you."

"He hates me!"

"He doesn't hate you."

"He does. The only reason he is not terrorizing me all the time is you." It was not really that bad and all three boys knew it. Draco was around Severus often and both had found a way to become friends. Draco was treating Severus like an equal old friend and Severus liked that a lot. The Slytherin did not try to influence Severus anymore as Severus had made his wish to be left alone very clear to Draco.

Jessica was around Severus quite often. Hamid had befriended her as well, and she tried to help Severus find a connecting to earth magic with her knowledge about plants and gardening. Severus bet that there was even more between the two, but he did not confront either about it. Still, there was that nagging, uncomfortable feeling in him whenever he saw the two together.

Draco even accepted that Harry was with Severus sometimes when they met, not that Harry liked it much. Unfortunately, Draco had made it his task to tutor Severus in the classes he had problems with, and it seemed that Severus only accepted his help. So Harry was stuck with Malfoy for many homework sessions. They usually ignored each other, but two days ago, Harry was shocked by Draco noticing that he had problems and actually helping him. He had stared at Draco until the blond Slytherin had addressed him twice-and once even with his first name-before he was able to understand Draco's instructions. So they were finally on better terms, but it would never be amiss to complain about Draco in front of Severus, so he held the Slytherin on a short leash.

"So what then? I have no clue," Severus stated.

Harry shrugged. "I don't have any idea either. Maybe some sweets and a new plant. She was very upset when you smashed that ugly plant down by accident. I swear, she still stares at the empty spot where it once stood every time we're in the kitchen. And she has that lost and sad look on her-"

"Thanks for making me feel even guiltier for destroying that plant." Severus glared at Harry.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Don't get you knickers in a twist, Sev. So we will buy her a plant?"

"I don't know. There's still time to think about it. I still have a few sickles. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the new potion journal."

"Did you already forget our talk with Poppy and Alastor about the proper way to use pocket money?" Harry teased Severus. He knew that Severus felt very embarrassed about getting pocket money. After the first feeling of awkwardness, Harry liked getting pocket money even though he put aside most of it each time. First, they had saved all their money, but then Alastor and Poppy had found out and insisted that they at least buy one item or sweet when they were on their regular weekend trips. Those trips were great. Even Severus could not hide how much he liked them. Harry had seen a smile creep up on Severus' face more often during those trips. It also did not feel awkward to be in close contact with Poppy or Alastor. Alastor often wrestled with them; one would never guess that he only had one real leg. Alastor could easily beat both his boys in wrestling.

"How could I forget? We'll be in London this weekend, so maybe we can look for a present for Poppy there."

"Do you remember why we're going to London?" Harry pulled a face and grabbed his chin.

"It's just a dental Healer, Harry. Your teeth are fine. The whole appointment is for nothing."

"Then why are they even doing it?"

"Because the Ministry wants us to be checked. I swear, one day I will pay them back."

"Don't let Alastor and Poppy hear that."

"They hate the Ministry as well."

"Maybe, but they definitely don't like you talking about it like that. And remember that your godfather is the Minister himself."

"Hmpf."

Harry grinned at Hamid. Sometimes he felt bad for the Indian boy. He was always so calm and never tried to join their conversation on his own.

"Have you been at a dental healer, Hamid?" Harry asked.

"After I was released from the hospital after the big fire, I was sent to an orphan shelter. We had medical examinations twice a year, and the dental Healer also came twice a year. It's nothing to worry about." Hamid could read Severus and Harry very well, so he knew that Severus was just pretending to be calm and unconcerned about the dental Healer and that Harry was really scared.

"But what will he do if something isn't right? I haven't been to a dentist since I was six and that was awful. My uncle restrained me with his fat arms and my aunt was holding my head while the dentist shoved some kind of clamp into my mouth that prevented me from closing it." Harry shivered. "It was horrible. What if it's like that again?"

"It won't," Severus said. "And wizards don't need to hold other people down with fat arms. A simple Immobiliz-"

"What Severus wants to say is that dental Healers aren't as cruel as that dentist you talked about. You will see, Harry." Hamid looked worried at the pale boy beside him. Sometimes Severus was as unaware of Harry's feeling as Harry was of Severus'.

"But-" Harry started.

"No 'buts.' You will see. Don't worry so much. Just ask your mother about it."

At first Harry wanted to ask "My mother?" as he had done very often during the first weeks, but he caught himself. For Hamid, Poppy was Harry's and Severus' mother, and Harry was sick of stating every time that she was his adoptive mother.

"You could ask her to check your teeth before and tell you what the Healer will do. I'm sure you won't worry about it afterward. Maybe Severus will accompany you so you aren't alone."

Harry looked hopefully at Severus.

"Why? I don't want to be close to Poppy when she goes into Mediwitch mode."

Harry looked sadly down.

"Okay, okay. I'll go with you."

The ear to ear smile on Harry's face made Severus groan and frown, but inside he felt warm and happy.

X-X

"There is nothing to worry about, Harry. The Healer will check your teeth with his wand. It won't hurt and only takes a few minutes. He will also check your jaw. That doesn't hurt either," Poppy explained calmly.

"But what if my teeth aren't good? It's been a long time since I went to a dentist," Harry said.

"Then he will numb the tooth and remove the bad parts so that the tooth can regrow. It's not painless, but I'm sure you two have already had much worse pain than a stinging tooth," Poppy said while watching both her boys. It seemed that was not the right thing to say because Severus and Harry paled, but she would not lie to them. They should be prepared. Poppy could remember very well how much the adult Severus had fought before Alastor could get him to a dental Healer. To be honest, it was the same dental healer they would go to on Saturday. Healer Wright had Severus' old files and could compare them to what Severus' jaw and teeth were like now. Still, Poppy was not certain how Severus would react. She was very surprised about Severus' current good behavior. She had awaited great protest the moment she had announced the appointment.

X-X

Severus could not sleep. They would have to see the dental Healer tomorrow, and Severus could still remember the pain he had felt when the Healer had worked on his inflamed back tooth. It had been horrible, and only his pride had kept him in the chair, his fingernails clawing deeply into the armrests. The pain had gone straight to his brain and his magic had almost lashed out. Only his control skills had prevented it from doing so.

This time, he would have no such control and he feared he would embarrass himself in front of Harry. His little brother was the only reason Severus appeared to be so calm. Otherwise he would have fought tooth and nail against the appointment.

For the fourth time, Severus stood up and went to the bathroom. The clock in the hall told him it was three o'clock. He had not slept at all. Only five more hours until they would come to wake him and Harry.

"What's going on, Severus?" Alastor pulled Severus out of his thoughts.

"I just need to use the loo."

"For the fourth time in two hours? What's going on?" He steered Severus into the living room, increased the fire in the fireplace, and wrapped a blanket around Severus.

"You know what's wrong."

"Do I?"

Severus groaned. "I don't want to see the dental Healer."

"Ah, I see. We were wondering about your sudden change in behavior concerning the dental Healer. So it was all to impress Harry?"

Severus looked down. "He was worried, and I don't want to worry him more. I don't want to look weak."

"I know you were scared before your last appointment with Healer Wright and it wasn't painless, but he was kind and you felt much better afterward. Right?"

"Yes, but-"

"Ah, no, Severus. No 'buts' right now. You felt better afterward. This time, the worst that can happen is that you might have a cavity. Removing it doesn't hurt as much as healing an inflamed tooth. I promise you will hardly notice any pain, Severus. You've had so much more pain than this. You might not even have any cavities. Stop worrying. If you want, one of us will come with you into the examination room."

"I'm old enough, I can do it alone," Severus said, not very convincing.

"We will see tomorrow, but now off to bed."