Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
My beta is busy and therefore I can't change that the updates aren't very quick. I have written twenty more chapters already!!!

A Sneak Preview for the next chapter is on my homepage!

Chapter 5 - The Ministry Interferes

-II-

"I won't let them touch me," Severus said, determined, and scowled at the ceiling of Harry's room. After supper, Harry and Severus had gone back to Harry's room. It was more comfortable for the two teenagers than Severus' meager room.

"You heard Poppy; there is no way around it," Harry said, sighing. "Just cooperate and then they will leave."

Severus snorted. "You are so naive, Harry."

"Why?" Harry asked, puzzled, and looked sideways at Severus.

"They won't leave us alone. If they find even one thing wrong, they will put us in St. Mungo's," Severus said bitterly.

"Alastor won't let them do that, and Poppy said the Healers are friends of hers," Harry said, determined. He was sure Alastor would keep them safe.

"Like I said, you are just naive," Severus stated.

-II-

"One more step in that direction and I swear I will blast you to pieces!" Alastor thundered at the Ministry officer, pointing his wand in the man's direction.

"Mr. Moody, I have an official paper here from the youth welfare office that we are allowed to see the boys and let the Healers check them. If you insist upon making trouble, I will call the Aurors to arrest you," the Ministry worker said, angered.

"You have no right to do so! I already contacted two Level Seven Healers who are willing to oversee the ordered examination. I informed the Welfare Office about it," Poppy said, agitated.

"Mrs. Pomfrey, you behavior is highly inappropriate for a mediwitch. The fact that you are trying to keep these boys from any examination besides your own is very suspicious," the grim-looking Healer with gray hair stated disapprovingly.

Poppy was so shocked at this accusation that she gaped at the old Healer for several seconds. "How dare you?!"

"Really, I think you are both overreacting. If the boys hear you, they will be scared," the second Healer, an elderly witch, stated. She was much friendlier than the male Healer and obviously felt uncomfortable by the force he was applying on the two guardians.

"I have better things to do than waste my time speaking with people that don't take proper care of their charges. Arrest them and let us go through with this," the male Healer stated arrogantly.

"You accuse me of not taking proper care of my sons? I know them better than you ever will!" Poppy screamed at the arrogant man.

"What's going on here?" A deep voice said from the fireplace. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Minister of Magic, stood in front of the hearth, glaring at the scene in front of him.

"Minister Shacklebolt," the Ministry worker said, surprised.

"I ask again, what's going on here?" Kingsley asked angrily.

"I have an official order from Marinda Tenner from the Youth Welfare Office to question Severus Snape and Harry Potter about their de-aging and to make sure that Healer Morey and Healer Minter will examine both boys thoroughly." The Ministry worker handed Kingsley a sheet.

After studying it carefully, Kingsley looked at Poppy and Alastor. Seeing that Alastor still held his wand up to block the hall, Kingsley decided to address him first. "You have objections to this questioning and the examination, Alastor?"

"The hell I have!" Alastor spat out, not lowering his wand.

"Care to enlighten me about your reasons?" Kingsley said calmly. He knew Alastor for a very long time; he even trained under him to become an Auror. They had fought side by side in the war and had met privately for a drink or a game of cards several times, so the Minister knew that Alastor was not far from hexing the Ministry worker.

"We already received the information about the official examination and spoke with adequate Healers who agreed to make the examination. We sent the papers hours ago to the office, but they are here with two Healers we don't know. We won't let them come near our sons," Alastor said, determined.

"The Youth Welfare Office isn't to be commanded around by their clients," the Ministry worker said, sneering. This facial expression made Alastor remember.

"I know you. You're Dan Calago. You were in Gryffindor while Severus was at school, and if I remember correctly, you didn't get along well."

"I don't see why this is relevant here, Mr. Moody," Dan Calago spat out.

"I think that has a lot to do with the whole situation, Mr. Calago," Kingsley stated before Alastor could say something. "I haven't seen the two boys, but I guess they are already stressed enough by their new situation, and I don't think a questioning from you would do them any good. I also don't see why the examination can't be done by the Healers Mrs. Pomfrey chose. If she trusts them, the boys will trust them most likely as well."

"Minister, with all due respect, this examination has been ordered by the Youth Welfare Office, and we are used to examinations like this," the male Healer stated, annoyed.

"The Youth Welfare Office is part of the Ministry, Healer Minter, and that means it is my area of responsibility. I don't doubt your or Healer Moley's expertise and experience, but maybe the Healers Mrs. Pomfrey has chosen have these skills as well." With that said, he looked at Poppy.

"Of course they have these skills. They are both Level Seven Healers. They have experience with physical and mental illnesses. As Severus had a number of problems with his mental and physical state and Harry also had some issues, I thought it would be best to choose two Healers who are very skilled in these areas. Severus already knows Healer Meyers and trusted her as an adult. Healer Smith is well-known amongst Healers. He is famous for his work with trauma patients," Poppy explained more calmly, now that she knew Kingsley was helping them.

"The examination can be very intimating, and if one of the boys already knows one of the Healers, it would help them to accept the examination and take part in it willingly and actively," Healer Moley said kindly. "I think it is best if we back out and you check if your boys are okay."

"The examination has to be done today. Otherwise there could be lasting damage," Healer Minter protested.

"Can you get your Healers here now?" Kingsley asked Poppy.

"I will try," Poppy replied and went over to the fireplace. A few minutes later, a man around forty stepped out of the hearth. He had sandy hair and a goatee. He looked puzzled at the scene in front of him.

"Thanks for coming. Is Maria on her way?" Poppy asked tensely.

"Yes, she will be here any minute. Calm down, Poppy," James Smith said and laid a reassuring hand on her arm. Feeling her tremble, he sent a small dose of Calming Magic through his hands.

"Thank Merlin," Poppy said and almost collapsed in relief. James was fast enough to catch her before she hit the ground.

"What's going on, James?" a high voice asked from the fireplace. A chubby woman with white bushy hair rushed over to James and the trembling Poppy in his arms.

"I think this was a bit too much stress for her," James stated and looked around. If the situation was not so serious, he would have laughed at the look on Alastor's face. The man was torn between rushing over to his wife and blocking the hall.

Maria waved her wand and placed Poppy on the couch. "Take care of these idiots and get Alastor to lower his wand," Maria ordered James.

"Yes, ma'am," James said sarcastically but did what he was told.

Kingsley also reacted quickly. "It's time for us to leave. I will inform you about this questioning after I speak with Marinda Tenner at the Youth Welfare Office.

Two minutes later, the two unwelcome Healers, the Ministry worker, and Kingsley were gone. "It's over Alastor," James said and laid his hand on Alastor's arm. Slowly, Alastor let his wand drop and allowed James to let a bit of Calming Magic flow into him.

When he could think clearly again, he tried to shrugging his arm free to go over to Poppy, but Maria was already at his side. "She is okay, Alastor; she's sleeping. I think we should check on the boys. I guess you didn't have the time to put up a Silencing Spell?" Maria asked. Seeing Alastor's shocked face, she did not wait for an answer. She walked down the long hallway that led to all the bedrooms and the bathroom. She knew the way to Severus room from former visits. When she passed Harry's room, she stopped. She felt a great wave of angst and depression coming through the door. "Can it be that they are both in here?" she asked Alastor.

"Yes, I think so. They spend a lot of time together in Harry's room," Alastor said and grabbed for the door knob, but the door did not open. Puzzled, he tried several times but nothing happened. "That can't be. They don't have their wands."

"As you know, there are other ways than magic to block a door, Alastor. I can feel a lot of fear and depression coming from inside this room," Maria stated.

Alastor knocked on the door. "Harry? Can you hear me?"

"Yes," came the soft answer.

"Open the door, Harry. It's all okay." Alastor tried to sound calm, but he was way too worried for this.

"No!" Harry said through the door.

"Harry, this is not the time for games. Please open the door," Alastor said.

"No, Severus was right. They will send us to St. Mungo's and you can't do anything about it. I know they are there with you. I could hear them."

Alastor groaned. "Is Severus with you?"

No reply.

"Severus, I know you can hear me. Open the door," Alastor said sternly. The urge to break the door down to see with his own eyes that his sons were okay was overwhelming. There was no reply and no sound from inside. Alastor tried the handle again, only to realize that nothing had changed. "Severus, talk to me!"

"I won't go to St. Mungo's! They will use me as a guinea pig," Severus said miserably.

Alastor groaned again and hit the door. Maria laid a calming hand over Alastor's on the door and then spoke to Severus. "Severus, this is Healer Meyers. You remember me?"

There was a shuffle from the other side of the door. "I still have my memories."

"That's very good, my boy. So you know me and you can trust me, right?" Maria asked patiently.

"I won't go to a clinic," Severus stated very softly.

"I don't think that will be necessary as long as you haven't hidden anything important from Poppy. But we still need to check you and Harry through, okay?" Maria said carefully.

"Where is Poppy?" Severus asked miserably.

"She is sleeping, Severus. She was very unhappy about the Ministry worker and the Healers he brought with him. You heard part of the conversation, didn't you?" Maria smiled. "Severus, I can't see you nodding your head, and I only can say that you did it because I know you very well. Please open the door."

"Please go away!" Severus pleaded. "We want Poppy."

Maria sighed. The boys were way too scared by the scenario in the living room they had overheard and were still adjusting to the problems their de-aging caused. They are absolutely confused and afraid.

"Severus, you will open the door now!" Alastor commanded. A whimper could be heard from inside, and the wave of depression drew farther away. Severus had crawled away from the door again. "Severus, I'm counting to three. If you haven't opened the door by then, you will be in a lot of trouble," Alastor said, threatening. It stung his heart badly to use such a method to get into the room, but he was at loss for ideas and he wanted to check on them badly. He wanted to hug them and assure them that everything was all right. He could not do this through the door, and so it had to be like this.

"One...." A whimper was heard and a mumbling that was not Severus' voice.

"Two...."

"Please, no," Severus said wretchedly.

"Severus, this is my last warning before I end the counting," Alastor said. A loud sob was heard through the door and then a noise that sounded like furniture being pushed over the floor. When the sound stopped, Alastor blasted into the room.

In the middle of the room stood Severus, tear-stained and sobbing badly. "I don't want to be sent away!"

Alastor rushed over to Severus and drew him into a tight hug. He lifted Severus up and looked around for Harry. He found the dark-haired boy curled up in a tight ball under the desk. With Severus still in his arms, Alastor rushed over to Harry and sat down beside him. He had one arm around the sobbing Severus and the other on Harry's head. "Please calm down! Everything is okay!" Alastor was everything but calming, and so Severus sobbed even harder and Harry curled up tighter.

"Severus, I promise that you will not be sent away," Maria said while sitting down beside Alastor and placing a calming hand on Severus' back. While she let Calming Magic flow into Severus, she looked over to James, who had crouched down beside Harry.

"Harry, I'm Healer Smith. I know you are very scared at the moment, but I promise you that everything will be all right. The Minister himself was here to send the Ministry worker and the two Healers away. They won't come back. It will be just Healer Meyers and me. I will touch your shoulder now, Harry. I will calm you a bit with magic. It will feel good, I promise. If you feel uncomfortable, just tell me and I will stop." James knew that Harry would not reply at the moment, and so he started to send Calming Magic to the distressed boy.

Ten minutes later, both boys were drowsy from the Calming Magic. "Alastor, are you still with us?" James asked. Alastor was white like a sheet, but he nodded. His arms hurt because he had not moved them for the past ten minutes. Not to mention his legs.

"Is it possible to move Severus' bed inside here?" James asked.

"Yes, we can move the furniture easily," Alastor said and reluctantly let go of Severus. The boy did not even realize it and just fell over into Healer Meyers' arms. Alastor rearranged all the furniture that Harry and Severus had moved and added Severus' bed close beside Harry's.

"We will let them sleep for an hour," Maria stated when both boys were lying in their beds. "That will give them time to calm down and us time to take care of you and Poppy. Then we can talk about your worries and observations. If they react well, I think we should examine Severus today and Harry tomorrow morning. He has only de-aged four years, so there shouldn't be any dangerous damage that would be life-threatening if we leave it for tomorrow." Maria looked questioning over to James, and when he nodded, it was settled and they left the room.