Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I also was informed that I have to give a warning this time. This chapter will contain a mention of a gay pairing. I don't plan to write any smut or so about them. Nevertheless this story has a gay pairing and the characters will play an important role in this story.
Chapter 9 – The Truth

-II-

"If you relax, I can help you," James offered.

Severus craned his neck to look at the Healer without giving up his comfortable position against his chest. "How?"

"I can massage your throat while you drink it. That will help you to gulp it down more quickly." James smiled at the curious expression on Severus' face. Alastor had told him a lot about the adult Severus, and it was hard to believe that this boy was the same person. The young Severus was quite open, and he even relaxed on his lap. He also seemed to be a very curious and interested boy. James was known for his experience in working with traumatized patients, and he wondered what some of his patients would think about being de-aged and getting a new chance. Too bad that this kind of de-aging was too dangerous and not reversible.

"Okay, I will try," Severus said.

It was awkward, but it really was much easier to swallow the thick liquid with Healer Smith's help.

"Will he be like this or like the grumpy Severus I met this morning when all his memories are sorted?" Harry asked Healer Meyers in a soft voice.

"Like he is now, but from time to time he will be grumpy, Harry. That's just Severus' character. You knew him well as an adult, right?"

"Yes, he was always grumpy in the morning. This morning I thought I was talking with the adult Severus, but then he swore." Harry grinned. "It was weird."

"Some of his behavior will be the same as when he was an adult, Harry. That's just Severus' character. He is grumpy no matter if he is an adult or a teen. You are just confused because you are comparing him with his adult self." Maria felt Harry's mood change again. "What's wrong Harry?"

"I don't want him to change back again. I hope there won't be an antidote for the potion," Harry whispered and hid in Healer Meyers' robes.

-II-

Severus could choose between two options for breakfast. Option number one was a bowl of cereal with milk and fruits. The second option was two rolls with whatever he wanted on them plus a fruit. In addition to both options he had to drink a cup of hot chocolate. Severus chose the cereal, but halfway through the bowl, he lost appetite and only played around with the food. He felt so full.

"Here, Severus, drink the potion, but then you need to finish your bowl. There wasn't very much in it," Healer Smith said.

"I'm full," Severus protested and drank the pain killer. Relieved, he realized that it worked immediately. He started to play with his breakfast again. Maybe it will vanish in the milk if I crunch it up really small, Severus thought hopefully and started to mash the cereal with his spoon.

"Severus!" A voice left from him warned and a hand grabbed his. "Stop," Poppy ordered in her no-nonsense voice.

Severus looked fearfully at her. Her expression was kind but determined. "But I'm full."

"You are not, Severus. You want us to stop the nutrient potion as soon as possible, don't you?" Poppy asked, still holding his hand.

Severus glared at her. "That's not fair."

"We're saving your life, Severus. You are almost starved," Poppy said strictly.

Severus looked helplessly at Poppy. When she released his hand and ordered him to go on eating, he reluctantly did so. He had the feeling the food was not fitting in his stomach, but in the end he managed it. Relieved, he laid his spoon down.

"Don't forget the apple slices, Severus," Alastor reminded him.

"But I can't," Severus said miserably.

"Only two of the four, Severus. Then we will stop pestering you," Healer Meyers instructed.

Severus gnawed at the apple slices and needed almost ten minutes to do so.

"Albus, I fear I must leave. I will just go down to visit Charlie if that is okay with you," Kingsley said, a bit uncomfortable.

"Kingsley, you are free to visit Charlie's office whenever you want. I can set up a special password for you to Floo into his quarters directly from your home or office," Albus said, his prominent twinkle in his eyes.

Kingsley looked shocked at Albus and opened his mouth a few times to reply, but nothing came out.

"Really, Kingsley, I don't know why you two have to make a big secret out of your relationship, but I can assure you that you don't fool us," Albus said, amused. "What is the problem? That you are gay or the age difference?"

"Albus, I...we...." Kingsley stuttered.

Severus grinned. "You look like a fish out of water."

Kingsley glared at Severus. "That's not funny, Severus." Looking at Albus again, he added, "Albus, it's not like you think."

"Kingsley, the whole Order knows about your relationship, and we are all happy that you found each other. Without his relationship with you, Charlie would have never agreed to stay here as our new Potions Master, so we really have to thank you for it," Albus said teasingly.

"Albus, please," Kingsley said, blushing, and gestured with his eyes to the two Healers.

"Healer Meyers and Healer Smith won't tell the press that the Minister has a relationship with the red-headed Potions Master at Hogwarts, will they?" Albus asked the Healers, amused.

"All we are interested in is your relationship to Severus and Harry, Mr. Shacklebolt. The more you are in the castle, the better for Severus. You two seem to be good friends, and Severus will need good friends now," Healer Meyers explained, almost bored.

"I have meeting with all the Heads of House in an hour, so Charlie is free until then. Enjoy your time," the headmaster said and grinned, amused, when Kingsley blushed.

"You sure do blush a lot, Kings," Severus teased.

"You really are a brat, Sev," Kingsley said. "I'll come over and check on you in a few days. Maybe we can do something together next weekend."

Severus' eyes lit up at the offer. "Cool!"

Kingsley had to suppress his laughter and just grinned at Severus' choice of words. "Indeed cool."

Severus glared at Albus, who did not even try to suppress his amusement and was chuckling madly.

"Until then, Kingsley," Alastor said, and with a last wave of his hand, Kingsley left through the fireplace.

"That was funny," Severus said. He looked over to Harry and became worried when he saw the sad expression on his face. "What's wrong?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "I just thought about Ron and Hermione...and Remus."

"They will come over in an hour, Harry. Alastor and I will be with Severus in the meeting Albus already mentioned. You can hang out with Hermione and Ron in your room. Remus already spoke with them about what happened, and they are very eager to see you," Poppy explained. "Remus will join you when the meeting is over."

Harry's face lit up. "Really?"

"Really," Poppy assured, amused.

"We will leave in a few minutes, but please let me check you before we leave, Harry," Healer Meyers said.

"Didn't you want to speak with us?" Harry asked while Healer Meyers got in position behind him.

"We already spoke with Professor Dumbledore. He will explain everything to you two," Healer Meyers said and started the scanning. After three minutes, she was finished and said, "You are still very tired, Harry. I think it is best if you two have a nap after lunch. If you feel exhausted in school, you also have to come back here and rest. Your teachers have already been informed about this. You just need to tell them if you head back here to rest. If you don't feel well, they will send for Poppy to get you," Healer Meyers explained.

"I'm fine," Harry assured. Leaving classes because I'm tired? I would be the laugh of the class then. It will be hard enough to go to school with all those small kids, Harry thought, frustrated.

"Harry, it is important that you rest when you feel exhausted. Being de-aged isn't something to take lightly. We need you to be reliable. Passing out in class or being forced to have bed rest would be much more embarrassing than saying that you are exhausted," Healer Meyers said reproachfully.

Harry groaned and looked over to Severus. His brother looked paler than before, and he looked fearful.

"We will come and check on the boys tomorrow after classes. I will start the therapy for Severus' hands then as well. Today, I would like to have him rest. Did you manage to contact Mrs. Bonners?" Healer Meyers asked Poppy.

"Yes, she is awaiting us in her shop this afternoon, so we can buy all the clothes for the boys. Albus managed to gather all the school items for Severus and Harry, so we don't have to worry about that," Poppy explained.

"That's good," James said and stood up. "If there are any problems, don't hesitate to contact us." He looked at Harry. "This is emergency powder. You just have to throw it into the fireplace, and Maria or I will come over as soon as possible. The tin will refill itself automatically."

"Maria?" Harry asked, puzzled.

"That's me, dear," Healers Meyers explained.

"Yes, and you can call me James. We will spend a lot of time together because we have to check on you two for at least half a year for any problems caused by the potion," Healer Smith said.

"But you will still look for an antidote, won't you?" Severus asked, shocked about how final this all sounded.

Maria sighed and went over to Severus. She ran a hand over Severus' head and then explained softly, "Severus, there won't be an antidote. The potion will still be tested for more information, but only to know about any dangers that could still appear. There is no way to reverse this."

A tear ran down his cheek. "I do not want to be twelve."

"I know, sweetheart," Maria said and pressed Severus against her. "You will manage. You have such wonderful people by your side. Alastor and Poppy love you like a son, and Harry will be your little brother, Severus. You will be okay."

Severus sobbed into Maria's robes, but he calmed down with her skilled hands and soothing words. "Everything will be okay, Severus," she assured him one last time and kissed him on the forehead.

Severus nodded in hope that this would make it real.

"Here is some emergency powder for you as well, Severus. Emergency means whenever you need us, not only when you are in danger. So if you have any questions you don't want to ask your guardians or if you feel unwell and want one of us to check on you, you can use the powder. Don't hesitate to use it. You can call us day or night," Maria said, determined. She looked from one boy to the other. "Both of you."

Harry nodded, and Severus as well after Maria looked at him demandingly.

When the Healers were gone, the adults guided the boys over to the comfortable seats in the living room. "We need to talk about school, boys," Albus said cheerfully.

Severus gnawed on his bottom lip, and Harry looked interested at the old man.

"We can't let you attend third year classes now that we know that you have de-aged to twelve and six month, Severus," Albus explained, carefully eyeing Severus for any reaction.

Severus face fell. "You can't let me be one year under Harry. I'm still older than him," he protested.

"Of course not," Albus said, twinkling madly. "We thought about letting Harry attend third year for your benefit. Now that you are twelve as well, you will both attend second year classes."

Severus groaned. "They are babies."

Albus chuckled. "They are the same age as you are, my boy."

Severus glared at Albus, but that amused the old man even more.

"You will both attend second year classes," he repeated and looked from one boy to the other. Both did not look happy, but neither protested. "All the staff has been informed about your condition and about the Healers' advice. I also want to ask you two to be very honest and admit when you feel unwell. The potion can have side effects and-"

"Albus!" Poppy said warningly.

That made Severus suspicious. "What? What are you hiding?"

Poppy glared at Albus.

"What is it, Albus? Please tell us. We need to know if there is something wrong with us," Severus said, agitated, and jumped up.

"There is nothing wrong with you two, Severus," Poppy said and pulled him down beside her. "We didn't want you two to worry too much and therefore we decided to not tell you about it. Sometimes when you worry too much about getting a side effect, you really will show the symptoms just because you imagine it. That's why we didn't want you to know what side effects could appear." Poppy glared again at Albus, who had the modesty to blush.

"Please tell me," Severus pleaded.

Poppy sighed. "The potion you two mixed was unstable. St. Mungo's checked it through, but it still changed again and again. Therefore, they have no chance of making an antidote and they cannot say for sure what side effects the potion will have on you two. That's the reason why James and Maria will check on your for the next half a year and maybe even longer. Severus, you already heard yesterday that there is some nerve connection damage in your brain. And Harry...." Poppy sighed again when the short-haired boy looked nervously at her. "Harry, even though your test yesterday was much better than Severus', the Healers can't say if it will stay like this. The next days and weeks will show us more, but there are several things that could appear."

"Like what?" Harry asked, worried.

"Please, Harry, it won't help you two if I tell you all the possibilities," Poppy said, depressed.

"Please tell us, Poppy," Severus pleaded and looked at her with a puppy look.

Again she sighed. "The most likely effect will be concentration problems or unusual tiredness. You two may also react very emotionally in situation where you normally wouldn't react like that. Panic attacks might overcome you more easily, you could lose your memories temporarily...please don't make me go on," Poppy pleaded sadly.

Severus and Harry both stared wide-eyed at her. After shaking himself out of his stupor, Harry went over to Poppy and hugged her. "We will be okay, Poppy."

Poppy smiled sadly. "I hope so."

"It is important that you don't hide symptoms from us or the Healers, boys," Alastor said from his armchair. "We can help you with all those problems, but we need to be informed if you notice them."

Harry nodded, but Severus still looked shocked. Poppy gently cupped his face and said, "You will be okay, Severus. We are here for you."

Severus nodded. Poppy would make it okay, he was sure of that.