Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A brief introduction to Hogwarts in 1981.
Chapter 3: Introductions

 "You don't know why I came back to England, do you?" asked Alex.

"No," stated Dumbledore pensively, his eyes gazing seriously into Alex's own. "Should I?" 

"I claimed custody of my cousin," said Alex. "And I will be bringing him to Hogwarts with me." 

"Your cousin?" 

Alex nodded. "You won't have any problems with that, will you?" 

"Your cousin?" asked Dumbledore again. "As in, Harry James Potter?" 

"Yes," said Alex. "I was told a magical relative would be given preference over a Muggle one." 

The atmosphere dampened, but Alex remained unconcerned. He had about the same power as Dumbledore himself currently, but he restrained himself from showing it. 

"He was placed there for a reason," said Dumbledore gently, after visibly clamping down on his anger. 

"He will be better off with me," responded Alex. How could he bring up the blood wards without seeming too obvious? 

"Isn't it better to have Harry raised with his cousin and his aunt? He'll have another child to grow up with, and his aunt is also much more experienced," stated Dumbledore. 

"If you want the Saviour of the British Wizarding World abused, I suggest you take him back, then," said Alex finally. 

"Abuse?" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Harry is Petunia's nephew. Why would she abuse him?" 

"When I found him, he had not been changed since you dropped him off," said Alex, and continued even after Dumbledore tried to interrupt him. "In a cupboard. Campbell, the social worker, wanted to lay charges, but I persuaded him not to. But if you insist..." 

Dumbledore paled, knowing he had lost - this round, at least. 

Alex continued, "I will make sure Harry will not be spoiled, and he will have a chance at a normal life until Fate claims him. As for the blood wards, I believe I am a candidate for them, as I was able to walk right in - without you noticing, at least." 

"How do you know about the blood wards?" asked Dumbledore, shocked. 

"I felt them as I walked through them when I picked up Harry," said Alex simply. "Ingenious, by the way, but I didn't know you were capable of such Dark magic." 

"They were Lily's," said Dumbledore quietly. "But yes, we will have to apply them to your quarters." 

"We could do that now, if you haven't reconsidered hiring me," said Alex. "And I trust the trust fund will be run by me?" 

"No, you're still hired," said Dumbledore. "But yes, I will transfer it to you today...but I must insist that I see your balance every month." 

"I won't be taking anything from him," said Alex firmly. "I will be raising Harry on my own money." 

"Very well, but I must insist," said Dumbledore. 

Alex nodded. "All right. Can we establish the wards now? I'd like to establish myself before the week is over. I suppose I start next week?" 

"That would be excellent," said Dumbledore, and he opened the door. As they walked down towards the Defense professor's quarters, he remarked, "I will introduce you at the staff meeting today, that is, if you are staying today." 

"I was thinking I'd go to France first and pick up all my belongings, as well as Harry," said Alex. 

"Harry is in France?" Dumbledore inquired. "Who is looking after him?" 

"My mentor," fibbed Alex. "He led the Unspeakables inFrance for a number of years." Not exactly a lie, but not the truth either. 

"Ah," said Dumbledore. "Perhaps you could bring him along? I would like to see the man who helped develop your skills. After all, you have a truly formidable reputation as an Auror in France." 

Alex gulped, thankfully not visibly. "I will ask him...but I doubt he'll agree. He's been a recluse for many years now." 

"I see," Dumbledore merely commented, and he stopped in front of a wall. "Here we are. This is an optional office and quarters, as the previous Defense teacher is still keeping his own. Your password?" 

"Err..." Alex fumbled. "Tchaikovsky." 

"Ah, the Russian composer?" asked Dumbledore. "Excellent choice." 

The quarters opened. They were quite Spartan, with wooden panels on the floor, nothing on the walls, and little or no furniture. 

"Now, your office is right next to the other professor's," continued Dumbledore. "Right next to the Defense classrooms. Professors generally don't want their students to know where they live, but you can attach your quarters to your office if you like. Would you like to see it now?" 

"Sure," said Alex. He hadn't known that when he had been at Hogwarts and filed it away for future reference. 

They walked down the halls. Thankfully, most students were in class, though those who had a free period gawped at them. A few girls even blushed when Alex looked at them. Odd. Girls had never really looked at him like that before. 

They walked past the Defense office that Snape had used in Alex's own sixth year. That office had too many bad memories. Gruesome too. Alex shuddered, remembering that had also been where Moody had been kept for an entire year. They kept walking down the corridor, and Dumbledore opened a door on the other side of the Defense classrooms. This was Remus's office in Alex's third year! Good memories were definitely better than bad memories. 

Dumbledore opened the door. "We don't currently have a desk for you, since Peeves - our poltergeist - just recently burned it."

"It's all right," said Alex. "I can transfigure something into a desk. The chairs are nice though." 

"Why, yes, they are, aren't they?" asked Dumbledore, who had brightened. "I'll leave you now to your work. Would you like to see the past curriculums for the previous years?" 

"Yes, please," said Alex absentmindedly, as he walked around the room, measuring the shape and dimensions of the room. "Thanks, Albus." 

"You're welcome," said Dumbledore. "I'll go set the blood wards now." 

"See you later then?" said Alex, as he opened the door for the older man. "I believe I'll be either back tonight in time for dinner or tomorrow for breakfast." 

"Excellent," said Albus. "I will see you later, Alexandre."

********

"Merlin!" called out Alex as he hammered on the door. "Open up, dammit!" 

He slumped on the wall next to the doorway. "Anyone home? It's Alex!" 

The door creaked open. "Hello?" 

"Thank God, Dobby! I thought I was going to wait there forever!" said Alex. 

"Sorry, Sir Master Alex," apologized Dobby. "Young Master Harry was sleeping so Master Merlin put Silencing Charm up." 

"Oh," said Alex as he walked in. He headed to the living room, where he knew Merlin was, probably tinkering with his television. "Merlin?" 

"Alex?" Merlin looked up from the floor. "What news?" 

"Oh, I'm just here to get my stuff...and Harry," said Alex. "You wouldn't know where I can get cheap furniture?" 

"No," said Merlin. "But I can come and help you with transfiguring things, if you like." 

"Oh," said Alex. "That reminds me. Dumbledore wants to meet you..." 

"Does he?" stated Merlin. "Well, I suppose I should oblige him. I haven`t seen him since he was a boy." 

Alex shuddered. "Don't do that. It's creepy...I forget you're millions of years old." 

"Not millions," said Merlin. "I haven't even lived to my first million yet." 

"Fine, thousands, then," said Alex. "But you'll have to disguise yourself. I told him you headed the Unspeakables in France." 

"I founded the Unspeakables in England, so it shouldn't be too bad. But I'll have to change my appearance, won't I?" 

"Probably," said Alex. "Anyways, so are you coming or not? I kinda want to get started on my quarters." 

"Are you sure you don't want to stay here tonight?" asked Merlin. "We could go to Hogwarts for breakfast. After all, free food is always excellent." 

"All right, then," agreed Alex. "I'll Floo call Dumbledore then." He looked at the nearby fireplace. "Err, can this be used internationally?" 

"Of course," said Merlin, who looked affronted. "How else am I going to see Harry?" 

"Argh," groaned Alex. "You know how much effort it takes for me to Apparate over here? And now you tell me I could've just floo'd?" 

"Well..." said Merlin. "I need to fix your Floo on the other side first, but yes." 

"Fine," said Alex. "But I'm not Apparating over the Channel again if I can help it." 

"Mhm," mumbled Merlin, whose head was muffled by the tv he was tinkering with. "Could you go check on Harry? He's been sleeping for a while now." 

"Okay, where is he?" asked Alex, who had forgotten his charge. Some guardian he was. 

"Down the hall, second door on your left," said Merlin. "One, two...success!" 

Alex left Merlin, who was by now preoccupied with the programs and his newly fixed television. He saw the house elves in the kitchen, preparing dinner. It smelled really good. 

He opened the door quietly, smiling at the sight of a sleeping infant, with a thumb in his mouth. Walking over to the crib, he noted the nice baby blue colour of the room, and the numerous stuffed animals around the room. He stopped at the crib, and looked at the infant. He gently took the child's thumb out of his mouth, and moved to leave, when he heard a little voice, "Dada?" 

Alex turned, and walked back towards the crib. "Hello, Harry. I'm your Uncle Alex." 

Harry looked confused. "Dada?" 

"Your dad..." said Alex, as he lifted the child into his arms. "He's with the angels right now." 

"A'gew?"  asked Harry. 

"With God, baby," said Alex gently, as the child started crying. "I'm going to take care of you from now on." 

"A-lec?" 

"Yeah, baby," said Alex. "Your Uncle Alex will take care of you forever." 

"Wada," said Harry, shaking his head, then buried himself in Alex's robes. "Wada,. wada, wada!"

"Sorry, baby," said Alex. "But I can't bring them back." Even though I really want to.

"Wadama..." wailed Harry. 

Alex began bouncing the little boy. Did the child really understand him? He was only one and a half, no, less than, right now. How was this possible? 

"A-lec?" 

"Yeah, baby?" asked Alex absentmindedly, as he continued to bounce the child and rub his back. 

Little Harry placed his head against Alex's chest, and began sucking his thumb. Alex looked down at him. "Everything's going to be okay, Harry." 

********

"Staff and students of Hogwarts, please welcome our new Defense Professor Alexandre Potter," said Dumbledore. "He will be teaching the fifth to seventh years starting the week after. I trust you will treat him well. Now, time to eat! We have a great day in front of us!" 

Alex sat awkwardly in the seat next to the other Defense professor and to his surprise, Horace Slughorn. Was Severus Snape not the Potions Professor yet? 

"Hello," said the Defense teacher, sticking out his hand. "I'm Kevin Ryan, and I teach the other Defense classes." 

"Nice to meet you," said Alex, shaking the proffered hand firmly. "How have the fifth to seventh years been?" 

"A real mess," said Ryan. "I'm well qualified to teach them...but the first week I wanted to tear out my hair. They refuse to listen to me, and it's been a nightmare. I asked the Headmaster for another teacher to help me with them, as I seem to be the only teacher who has problems with them. Thing is, they treat my class like a joke now that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has fallen." 

"That bad?" asked Alex. "Can I see your curriculum for this year?" 

"Sure," said Ryan. "I can get it for you after breakfast." He then seemed to see Slughorn making anxious gestures at him. "Oh, Professor Slughorn - he teaches potions- wants to meet you." 

Alex turned around. "Hello, I'm Alex Potter. It's nice to meet you." 

Slughorn shook Alex's hands profusely. "Any relations to the recently deceased Potters? What a sad thing...and they were both so talented too!" 

"Oh, James was my cousin," said Alex. "But I didn't have the chance to really know them before they were killed." 

Slughorn looked like heaven had just opened. "Indeed! And what do you do?" 

"Oh," said Alex, innerly shaking his head at the obvious ploy Slughorn was making. "I'm one of the sub-heads of la Section de la Police de la Magie in Marseilles." 

"Ah, you're a Frenchman, are you?" asked Slughorn, his eyes gleaming scarily, while trying to portray his jolly old man façade. "Wonderful! I've been to Marseillesseveral times myself. I plan to go again once I retire." 

"Retire?" asked Alex. "So soon?" 

"Oh, yes," said Slughorn. "I've been teaching almost thirty years now. I feel like taking a long break. Alas, Albus has yet to find my replacement." 

"I'm sure he will soon," said Alex. "What about the youngest Potions Master in recorded history? What was his name...Snape?" 

"Oh, yes," said Slughorn, who had deflated visibly at the reminder, but sparked with delight at the suggestion. "I suppose...not many people hire young people these days. Perhaps I will talk to Albus about him." 

"That's a good idea," said Alex. "It wouldn't hurt to find other Potions Masters from around the world, too." 

Slughorn brightened. "Excellent idea, my boy!" He waddled off before Alex could finish his idea. Alex shrugged. Oh well. With Slughorn out of the way, Minerva McGonagall now turned to him. 

"Hello, my name is Minerva McGonagall," said McGonagall, delicately stretching out her hand. "Deputy Headmistress, Head of Gryffindor, and Professor of Transfiguration. Welcome to Hogwarts." 

"Thank you," said Alex, and he winked. "We've already met, Professor." 

"We have?" asked a shocked McGonagall. 

"Matthieu Rousseau, at your service," said Alex. "But please, keep that to yourself." 

"Ah," said McGonagall, recalling the night the Longbottoms' were attacked. "You know, Augusta has been creating a huge fuss about finding you." 

"She can't find me, can she?" asked Alex with a laugh. "Rousseau was one of my aliases I used when I worked undercover several years ago." 

"Oh, indeed?" asked Minerva. 

"Yep," said Alex, fibbing. "I work with the equivalent of the Aurors in France. I currently head one of the sub-departments there, or well, I did." 

"I see," said McGonagall. "No wonder you were so efficient in ridding the Death Eaters. So what brings you to England?" 

"I recently claimed custody of my cousin," Alex pointed to the child in the disguised Merlin's arms. "My mentor is holding him. I haven't seen him let go of the child since I gained guardianship." 

"Oh, my!" exclaimed Minerva. "Perhaps you could bring him to visit later? Over tea later today?" 

"That would be all right," said Alex. "I'm not doing anything but decorating anyways." 

"Do you need help transfiguring anything?" McGonagall brightened. 

Alex was about to say no, but he saw the look on her face. "Well, my mentor and I will be fixing up the place, but I'd really appreciate it if you could look after Harry." 

She nodded. "That would be fine." 

"Okay," said Alex. "I should probably go change Harry now." 

He turned to leave, when something occurred to him. "Please don't tell anyone Harry is here. I'm raising him as my son...and I'll be fully changing his features later." 

McGonagall nodded. "Your secret's safe with me." 

Alex picked the child off Merlin's lap, who didn't really notice, as he was having a wonderful conversation with Dumbledore. Alex could feel the stares of the students, and suddenly, he was glad he had placed a glamour on the child. Harry would definitely be spoiled if everyone knew he was THE Harry Potter.

********

 "Harry, why do you have to make such a mess?" Alex groaned.The child gurgled back to him in response, and waved his arms at Alex's face. "Stop it, Harry. Stay still, or I'm not going to be able to change you properly!" 

Harry moved even more. "Harry!" 

Finally, Alex was able to wrestle the child into his diaper, and he evanesco'd the diaper. "Thank God Dobby taught me how to do this," Alex grumbled. "I don't know how I'd do this if someone hadn't taught me. How did my parents do this?" 

"Practice," answered the voice at the door, sounding vaguely amused. "The more you do it, the easier it gets." 

"Merlin! You scared me!" 

"Dear Lord, are you still using my name as an expletive?" asked Merlin. "So when is Professor McGonagall coming?" 

"Soon, Mr. Erlin," said Alex. "We can't start without putting Harry somewhere safe, anyways. That child is way too curious for his own good." 

The previous night, Harry had spooned a great mass of mashed potatoes and flung it into Alex's face. Of course, Harry and Merlin had thought it a great joke. Then Harry started flicking the peas at Dobby. Yes, wonderful night, overall. 

A knock sounded at the door. "Hello?" 

Alex went over  to the door, and opened it. "Professor, come in please." 

"Call me Minerva, Alex," said McGonagall. "After all, we are colleagues." 

"Errr, all right, Minerva," stuttered Alex. Boy was itweird to call his teachers by their first name. "Have you met my mentor, Mr. Erlin, yet?" 

"No, I don't believe I've had the pleasure," said McGonagall, who blushed when Merlin kissed her hand. "It's good to meet you." 

"And you, madam," said Merlin. "I don't believe I've met a lovelier woman. Please, call me Christopher." 

Alex rolled his eyes, as McGonagall blushed. "All right, Christopher. You must call me Minerva, then." 

"Certainly," said Merlin, then gave a look at Alex. "Shall we get started?" 

Do you mind taking Harry into my office?" asked Alex to Minerva. "We finished it already. All his toys are already there." 

"That would be fine," said McGonagall. "What time does Harry nap?" 

Alex looked at Merlin, who answered, "He normally likes to sleep at around 2, but he's been very excited today. I expect he'll make a fuss, but he'll sleep eventually." 

"All right," said Minerva, who lifted the child out of Alex's hands. She swept out of the room, cooing at the child all the while. 

"If I were any younger..." said Merlin wistfully. 

"Please," said Alex, rolling his eyes again. "You're a lost cause." 

"One day I'll find a way to de-age myself," said Merlin. "Then you'll see." 

"Whatever," said Alex. "So what should we start with first?" 

"The bedrooms, I think," said Merlin. "You'll be sleeping here tonight, won't you?" 

"Yeah," said Alex. "I need to get started with my plans and things." 

They walked towards the other end of the quarters, where there were three empty rooms.  Two of the rooms were connected - these would be Alex and Harry's room. The other room could be a guest room. 

"Well, I suppose I'll take this room then," said Merlin, pointing to the spare room. 

Alex groaned. "You're living here?" 

"Whyever not?" asked Merlin, gesturing flamboyantly. "Don't you want to spend time with my illustrious presence?" 

"No more if I can help it," muttered Alex under his breath, then mocked, "Why, of course not! You'realways welcome here." 

"Brilliant," said Merlin. "I knew you were a good person inside." 

Alex didn't answer. Instead, he began to work on little Harry's room. The child, for some reason, loved blue,loved green, loved yellow...the list went on and on. A small bout of accidental magic in Merlin's flat had turned the room rainbow-coloured. Alex shuddered. He hadn't been that bad as a child, was he? In any case, it was a good thing, especially if a) Harry still had his magic, and b) Harry's naturally inquisitive nature and imagination had not been dampened. Still, Alex had no plans to keep the child's room in multi-colours. He didn't really think he could stand the headache. Instead, he painted the child's room a light green, and placed blue curtains on the windows. The crib he placed off to the side, and placed the playpen on the other side. He filled the wardrobe with Harry's clothes, baby books, and...other things. On the shelf next to the crib, he placed all of Harry's stuffed animals there, and his favourite one in his crib. 

Merlin, on the other hand, had started on the guest room. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't terribly well done either. Definitely not something Alex would have done, but not Albus Dumbledore quality...yet. Maybe that was where Dumbledore had picked up his eccentricities - from Merlin himself! 

"Of course he did," said Merlin. "Though, I have to say, the Renaissance Period was much worse than what Albus wears now. I started the trend myself!" 

"Err..." said Alex. "Right." 

"My dear boy," chuckled Merlin. "I am Merlin, if you haven't forgotten. Though I wouldn't blame you if you had...that memory of yours is atrocious." 

"I'd thank you to stay out of my head, please and thank you," said Alex. "And my memory is just fine." 

Merlin nodded in a disbelieving fashion. Harry just sighed. Sometimes the old man could be such a pain in the arse. "Well, can we start on my room then?" 

"Lead on, Sir Alex!" Stupid old man and his theatrics. 

Alex placed a charm that allowed Alex to see the outside on the wall opposite his bed. This would allow him to monitor the outside of Hogwarts for intruders or any of such sort. The two adjacent walls he merely painted them a light blue. The bed he quickly transfigured from several matchsticks - it was not unlike his old Gryffindor bed, except in blue and silver. He quickly filled up the connecting closet with all his clothes; he hadn't realized he had so many! The bathrooms he merely spiffed up. No one would see them anyways. 

Merlin finished the floor, with a deep forest green carpet. He also strategically placed pictures of himself on the walls. Alex just shook his head at him, and Merlin had repentantly changed the pictures to include Alex and baby Harry. 

"You know, Harry's not going to look like that, right?"

"Whyever not?" 

"Because I don't want him to know he's the Boy-Who-Lived, the Saviour of the Wizarding World. It's too great a burden for him...I don't want him to know until later," said Alex, showing Merlin he had obviously given the issue a lot of thought. "If you could help me with the changing of his features?" 

"Do you want to do a blood adoption?" asked Merlin. "It might be easier that way." 

"I don't want it to be permanent," said Alex wistfully, gazing at the photo of the little boy. 

"All right," said Merlin. "I could do the transfigurations now. Perhaps Minerva has some suggestions..." 

"Pervert," said Alex, rolling his eyes. "She's a millennium younger than you." 

"Not," said Merlin, sticking out his tongue in an all-together childish manner, then stomping off. "Are you coming?" 

The two men walked to the Defense office, which sadly still looked under-prepared. Alex made a mental note to place several...eccentric gadgets around the room later. Or maybe he could make it resemble a torture chamber...Alex cackled evilly. 

The elderly people looked at him in surprise. "What's made you so enthusiastic all of a sudden?" asked Merlin. "It had better not be one of those hare-brained ideas again." 

"Hey!" protested Alex. "Hare-brained ideas? Mine are ingenious! Besides, I was only thinking of decorating my office..." 

Merlin scoffed, but said nothing. Instead, he turned to Professor McGonagall. "Minerva, I believe you've had experience with human transfiguration." 

"Why yes," said McGonagall. "But only a tad. I had to help a child with Metamorphagus abilities a few years ago, Ted Tonks. A Muggleborn, can you believe it?" 

"Ah, but Minerva," said Merlin. "Muggleborns are descendants of wizards, most likely through a long list of Squibs." 

"Really?" asked McGonagall, surprised. "I've heard of that theory, but I didn't know it was true, of course." 

"Oh, it certainly is," said Merlin, casting a strange glance towards Alex. Alex felt slightly unnerved until he realized Merlin was referring to his, err, father, Albert Fitzpotter. "Now, I've checked little Harry over, and I believe he does have Metamorphagus abilities." 

"He does?" blurted out Alex. "Do I?" 

Merlin looked at him. "I have no idea," he said finally. "But I can look later. Right now, our focus is little Harry here." 

Alex felt foolish, and his face burned. "Sorry." 

Merlin waved it off. "Don't worry about it, my boy.  Now, I'm simply going to unlock his Metamorphagus abilities, and then transfigure his face in a particular way. Then I shall lock that form as his base form, as well as that of his original form, without affecting the rest of his abilities. Does that sound all right?" 

"Can you really do that?" asked Minerva, in awe of the man who stood in front of her. "I've been studying Transfiguration my entire life, yet I've never come across any theory like yours. Are you sure...?" 

"Quite," said Merlin. "Now, shall we begin?" 

"Wait," said Alex. "Will Harry be able to return to his original form?" 

"Yes," said Merlin. "But only when I unlock it, or if either of you do. For now, I think it would be safest if he looks like you, Alex." 

Probably," agreed Alex. "All right, what do we have to do?" 

"Nothing," said Merlin. "All I have to do is this." He reached into Harry's magic, and twisted. From a bright pink colour came out several other colours. "These other colours represent Harry's talents. The one I am looking for is this one." He yanked on the multicoloured strand, and began pouring his own magic into the strand. The child's face began to change, and soon resembled a miniature Alex. His scar was conveniently hidden, and Alex breathed a sigh of relief. Merlin pulled out of the child, twisting the Metamorphagus strand several times, then whispered, "Claustro." 

Merlin stepped back, and gazed at the child. "Well, yet another good job, old chap." He turned to the other two people in the room, who looked somewhat shell-shocked. "What? I already explained to you what I was going to do!" 

"Hearing it and seeing it are too separate things," said McGonagall dryly. "So what are you going to name the boy?" 

"I suppose keeping Harry Potter would be too much, wouldn't it?" asked Alex jokingly. "Well, a French name would be nice..." 

"Jean Henri Potter sounds nice," suggested Merlin. 

"Merlin, no," said Alex, disgusted. Luckily, ‘Merlin' was an often-used expletive, and Minerva did not comment upon its usage. "I refuse to have a child named Jean." 

"Matthieu Henri, then?" suggested McGonagall. 

"I suppose," said Alex doubtfully. "It would make sense, as Matthieu is my middle name..." 

"There you are, then," said Merlin. "I hereby christen you, Matthieu Henri Potter!" 

A little light magic swirled around the child, and then disappeared. "He will be Matthieu Henri Potter until you unlock his original form. And...I will handle the rest of the arrangements. Minerva, Alex, excuse me, please. I feel like resting up before exploring the rest of this grand castle." 

Of course, Alex knew what he was doing: manipulating documents again. But McGonagall wouldn't know that, so he kept the game up. "Of course, Mr. Erlin, I will wake you for lunch." 

"Merci, Alex," said Merlin. "Good day to you, Minerva." 

He bent down and kissed her hand before he turned and left the room. "Tell me, Alex, is your mentor always so...gentlemanly?" 

"Only when he feels like it," said Alex, giving a little laugh. Was McGonagall falling for Merlin? "Minerva, would you mind showing me the rest of Hogwarts? And perhaps introduce me to the other staff before tonight's meeting?" 

"Why, certainly, Alex," said McGonagall. "And what about Ha-Matt?" 

"We can bring him along," said Alex. "He's very well behaved, except when he's being changed, of course." 

Alex lifted the child into his arms, and Harry struggled a bit before settling comfortably, sucking his thumb. Alex smiled gently at the child, and they began the walk around the school. 

"Where would you like to go first?" asked Minerva. 

"Could we go see the Houses first? And then maybe the other classrooms..." said Alex. "Are there any students around right now?" 

"Most of the students are outside," said McGonagall. "It is a Saturday, after all. We should start with the Library first. It is the closest to your rooms." 

"Good idea," agreed Alex. "I'd love to see what books Hogwarts has to offer." 

"All right then," said McGonagall, and they headed to the Library. 

*******

Alex, McGonagall, and Harry entered the library, and they saw the usual hard-working students within. Alex gulped. There was the corner where Hermione, Ron, and he had studied for their OWLs. And over there, where he had punched Draco Malfoy's nose until it had flattened. He could see Hogwarts: A History that Hermione had poured over for hours... 

He could just feel the tears coming on. Lost in his own thoughts, he didn't hear Minerva's question. "Alex? Alex, are you all right?" 

He recovered, but barely. " Y-yeah..." He gave a rueful grin. "Just in awe of all the books you have here." 

"Ah," said McGonagall understandingly. "I was the same way when I first saw the books here. I had never seen so many books in my life..." she looked around wistfully. "Of course, there have never been another student since I have taught here who love books as much as me." 

"Oh, don't worry about that," said Alex. "There'll be one...in about ten years or so." 

"Is that a prediction, young man?" teased McGonagall. 

"Of course," said Alex, winking. "From the Seer himself!" 

McGonagall's mouth irked a little smile. "We shall see. Shall we move on?" 

Alex looked reluctantly away from the scene unfolding in his mind's eye. "Certainly..." 

They left. 

********

Now, here's the entrance to the Ravenclaw Tower. Filius Flitwick is the Head of that House, and his office is close by. Do you want to meet him?" 

"Sure," said Alex. "He's a Duelling Master, isn't he?" 

"Why, yes," said McGonagall. "And Professor of Charms as well." 

"That's an interesting combination," said Alex. "Duelling and Charms...personally, I prefer Transfiguration." 

"Really said McGonagall, as she knocked on a peculiar door. "Filius? It's Minerva." 

The door opened, and a voice sounded near the floor. "Hello?" 

Alex looked down. He hadn't recalled his professor ever being this short... 

"Filius, meet our new Defense teacher," said McGonagall. "This is Alex Potter. Alex, this is Filius Flitwick." 

"Pleasure to meet you, sir," said Alex. "I'd shake your hand, but my hands are rather full at the moment." 

"It's quite all right," said the little man amicably. "Your son?" 

"Err...yes," said Alex. "This is Matthieu, or Matt for short." 

"Nice to meet you," said Filius. "Your accent is quite familiar. May I enquire as to where you are from?" 

"Oh, yeah," said Alex. "Marseilles, in France. Say, I watched your last tournament. You were absolutely brilliant!" 

"Thank you," said Flitwick, blushing. "So what is it you do?" 

"Well, I teach Defense now," said Alex with an impish grin. "But I was one of the sub-heads in la Section de la Police de la Magie." 

"Ah, not so shabby yourself, then," chattered Flitwick enthusiastically. "And one so young!" 

"Oh," blushed Alex. "I, errr, caught a few criminals, that's all." 

"Nevertheless -" 

"Don't embarrass the poor child," chided McGonagall. "Filius, we're touring the school. Would you like to join us?" 

Flitwick waved his hand. "Sorry, Minerva, I have a lot of marking to do...look at the stack on my desk. I don't know what I was thinking when I assigned essays from all the grades. Well, Mr. Potter, it was a pleasure to meet you. We should sit down and talk about duelling techniques sometime." 

"Sure," agreed Alex, shrugging his shoulders. "See you then." 

"Goodbye!" Flitwick's door closed. 

********

"Do you want to see Slytherin House?" asked McGonagall. "I'm not too partial to Slytherin myself, but..." 

"Oh, no, it's all right," said Alex. "I'm sure Professor Slughorn will be around sooner or later." 

"Has Horace already started then?" asked McGonagall. "He doesn't mean any harm. It's just...his politics get in the way sometimes." 

"I see," said Alex, not really seeing at all. "So, where to next?" 

"Well, the Potions classrooms are also in the dungeons, and we just passed the Charms classroom," said McGonagall. "We could head towards the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor Houses." 

"Oh, sure," said Alex, then he felt something wet on his shoulder. "Matt, are you dripping saliva on me?!?" 

Harry gave a little giggle, and buried himself in Alex's robes. "Eww, gross! Matt!" 

"A-lec," said Harry proudly. "A-lec, A-lec, A-lec." 

"Very funny," said Alex, a bit grumpily. "Okay, Matt, I'm going to shift you over to my other shoulder." 

"A-lec, A-lec, A-lec," said Harry. Yep, he was wide awake now. Too bad...he had been so quiet and good before. Maybe because he was sleeping... 

"You're probably going to have saliva on the other side too, Alex," suggest McGonagall. 

"It doesn't matter," said Alex. "Scourgify!" He brushed the side where Harry's saliva previously had been. "There, all clean." 

"You can do wandless magic?" asked McGonagall. "Do you know how rare that is?" 

"Err...no?" asked Alex. "I know in the States they encourage wandless magic, and they rarely use their wands." 

"Oh, really?" asked McGonagall. "What about France?" 

"A little bit of both, but they mostly favour their wands," said Alex. "I think it's tradition though." 

McGonagall nodded. "Here, we treat wandless magic as a gift, but if what you say about the Americans is true...then there is much we still have to learn. Perhaps we are still stuck in our ways, though Merlin knows how bad that is." 

"Yes, your previous Dark Lord advocated blood supremacy, did he not?" 

"I'm pureblood myself, but I can't stand those arrogant people," said McGonagall. 

"Not to mention," said Alex mischievously. "Most of those people inbreed...which introduces various side effects, including insanity." 

McGonagall laughed. "You sound like Albus." 

"Great minds think alike," answered Alex. "What can I say?" 

"I prefer fools seldom differ, myself," said McGonagall. 

"Fine, be that way," said Alex childishly. "So, where are we now?" 

"Hufflepuff House," said Minerva. "You probably want to meet Pomona Sprout, yes?" 

"Oh, sure," said Alex. "What does she teach?" 

"Herbology, and she's the head of Hufflepuff House," said McGonagall. "And up this tower is Sybil Trelawney. She teaches Divination, but I...I'm not too partial to the subject myself." 

"Same," said Alex. "But the centaurs aren't so bad." 

McGonagall sniffed. "I suppose" 

"So are you going to knock at the door, or am I?" 

McGonagall knocked, and the door immediately opened.

"Hello? Why, Minerva, what brings you here to my humble abode?" asked Sprout, who seemed to be a cheery individual. Alex knew better, though. He shuddered, remembering the time Draco had been reamed by this teacher for bullying the Hufflepuffs. 

"Oh, I'm just giving our new Defense professor a tour of the school," said McGonagall. 

Sprout flashed him a smile. "Pomona Sprout." 

Alex shook her hand. "Alex Potter, it's nice to meet you." 

"What a polite young man!" exclaimed Sprout. "You know, dear, I haven't met anyone with such good manners...Oh, where are mine? Would you like to come in for a spot of tea?" 

McGonagall looked at Alex, who nodded. "Sure, I have time to kill...well, until Professor Ryan gives me what he's done so far this year for the fifth to seventh years." 

"Excellent," said Sprout. "Twinkly?" 

"Yes, Professor Sprout, ma'am?" popped a house elf. 

"Could I have three cups of tea and biscuits?" asked Professor Sprout, then looked at Alex. "And perhaps a glass of pumpkin juice?" Alex nodded, and Sprout continued, "Thank you." 

"Yes, Twinkly go right away," said the house elf, and popped away, returning within seconds with all the food. Alex shifted Harry onto his lap, and conjured a straw, letting Harry sip it. 

"And who is this little fellow?" asked Sprout. "Your son?" 

"Yes," said Alex bashfully. "Matthieu Henri Potter, but Matt for short." 

"So you're French?" asked Sprout, sipping her tea. "French people are quite...delightful." 

"We're very friendly," said Alex, smiling. "You have a Mastery in Herbology then?" 

"Oh, yes," said Sprout. "And you?" 

"Well, I'm the equivalent of a sub-head within the the French Aurors," said Alex. "But I could probably get my Mastery for Defense right now without a problem." He shrugged. "Not that I'm bragging of anything. But I do have honorary Masteries in Transfiguration and Potions."  

McGonagall choked on her tea. "You do?" 

Alex blushed. "Yes." To wave off his embarrassment, he began to concentrate on the child on his lap. 

"You're only twenty, yes?" asked McGonagall. 

"Actually, nineteen," said Alex bashfully. "I'll be turning twenty next month." 

"Oh, really?" asked McGonagall, her eyes narrowing scarily. "I would know if someone came close to shattering my record of being the youngest in getting my Transfiguration Mastery." 

"I asked that it be kept quiet, as I was...doing special work at the time," said Alex. Why on earth had Merlin made that up? Sure, he had gotten them for real...but in the future. He supposed it would be awfully suspicious if he showed he knew too much of those specific subjects. Thank goodness Snape had gotten his at seventeen...or else Alex would be in trouble. 

"Ah," said McGonagall, understanding (or at least thinking that Alex had been undercover at the time). Sprout too, nodded, though what she understood was beyond him. "I see, then. And you were apprenticed to Mr. Erlin?" 

"Ah, no, not really," said Alex. "Though he's pretty good at Transfiguration. No, my Transfiguration Master is long gone." Or rather, she's right in front of me... 

"Mr. Erlin?" interjected Sprout. "Who's he?" 

"Oh, my quasi-mentor," said Alex. "A jack of all trades...he's devoted much of his life to studying and researching. He was the old Head of the Unspeakables in Marseilles, you know. Well, really, all of France." 

"Oh, my," said Sprout. "No wonder you're so...talented then." 

"Thank you, Madam," said Alex, then turned to Harry. "Matt, could you please stop tugging at my hair?" 

The two women laughed, and Sprout cooed at the child. "He's so adorable! How old is he?" 

"Almost two," said Alex. "He can be a handful though." 

Sprout smiled sympathetically. "Troublesome Twos, that they are. I remember when my own was that age. When I think back now, they really weren't that bad. I'd do anything to have him at that age again." 

"I'll think about that when I get there," said Alex, making a face. "The hardest part is getting him to stay still when I change him." 

McGonagall coughed, trying - unsuccessfully - to cover her laughter. "Most people have their house elves help them." 

"Really?" asked Alex. "Well, I prefer to do it myself. I think it's ‘cause I lived with Muggles for ages." 

"Oh, really?" asked Sprout. "That's unusual...for a Potter." 

Alex merely nodded. He didn't want to get into his history at all. And was Sprout actually this nosy the last time around? He frowned. Well, he only had one class with her anyways - Herbology. And what was it, two hours long twice a week? 

After a little chat, they left, but not before Alex promised to visit again.

********

A blur of red crashed into him. 

"Mr. Weasley!" exclaimed McGonagall. "May I remind you that there is no running in the hallways?" 

"Sorry, Pr'fessor," mumbled the child, who was looking down bashfully. Was this Bill? The child looked up, a shy smile on his face. "I won't do it again, Pr'fessor." 

"See that you do, Mr. Weasley," said McGonagall sternly. "And please apologize to Professor Potter." 

"Sorry, Pr'fessor Potter, I won't do it again," said the boy shyly. 

"It's all right," said Alex. "What's your name?" 

"William Weasley," said the child. "But please call me Bill. Only my mum calls me William." 

So it was Bill. "Pleasure to meet you, Bill," said Alex. "And you're in your first year?" 

"Yes, sir," said Bill. 

"Oh, then I won't be teaching you then," said Alex regretfully. 

"That`s okay, sir, Professor Ryan is a good teacher," said Bill eagerly. 

"On your way, Mr. Weasley," said McGonagall. "It's almost time for lunch." 

"Yes, ma'am," said Bill, who took off at a dash. 

"Weasley!" shouted McGonagall after him. "No running!" 

Immediately, the boy slowed, but still walked a quick-ish pace. "That boy..." said McGonagall. "And his mother has six of them after him! Merlin knows if this school will survive them." 

"Bill Weasley isn't that bad," protested Alex. "I've seen worse." 

"I've been told by Molly Weasley her twins are a right terror," said McGonagall. "But I suppose we can only hope, then." 

"We'll see," said Alex. "So, where to next?" 

They had already visited the first two floors, as well as Gryffindor tower. 

"Well, Albus blocked off the third corridor," said McGonagall. "I don't think any of us who grew up in Hogwarts has ever been up there. It's rumoured there's a particularly vicious ghost up there, or some such drivel." She paused. "We could go look at the Quidditch field. Do you play Quidditch?" 

"Of course!" exclaimed Alex. "Though...I haven't played in a long while. I need a new broom too. My last one flew into a maniac's spell." He shuddered, remembering how close Yaxley's spell had come. He had barely escaped with his life. 

"Oh," answered McGonagall. "What did you play?" 

"Seeker," said Alex. "Though I'm not half bad as a Beater. I can't play Chaser for the life of me though." 

"Oh, really?" asked McGonagall, her eyes alight. "I played Beater myself when I was younger. I miss those days quite a lot..." 

"Professor McGonagall, a Beater?" interjected a new voice. "I would've you put down as a Chaser, myself. Who's the new fellow?" 

McGonagall turned towards the new voice. "Ah, Rolanda, here you are. I thought it was rather odd of you to have missed breakfast. This is Alex Potter, the new Defense Professor for the fifth through seventh years." She turned to Alex. "Alex, this is Rolanda Hooch, our flight instructor and Quidditch referee." 

"Good to meet you," said Hooch, who seemed to be sizing him up. "A Seeker, eh? You don't look like one." 

"Oh, I used to be a lot smaller," said Alex, smiling. A lot, a lot smaller. "But I could probably do things on a broom you haven't even seen before." 

"Is that a bet?" challenged Hooch, who had a wicked gleam in her eye. "I'd love to see what you could you."

"Ah, Minerva?" inquired Alex. "Could you hold Matt for a moment?" As he handed Harry over to McGonagall, he smacked his forehead with his free hand. "You wouldn't have a spare broom, would you? I lost mine fighting with an...insane Death Eater." 

"Sure," said Hooch, who didn't seem to have heard the last bit. "But they're all second-rate. The school hasn't replaced them in years, though I keep bugging old Dumbles to do it. He just doesn't listen to me." 

"Rolanda!" exclaimed McGonagall, scandalized. "You should treat Albus with more respect." 

"Mhm," nodded Hooch, as she led Alex to the broom shed. "Here you go, take your pick. I'll be using my Silver Arrow, myself. We only have a few Cleansweep Fives', I'm afraid, but take your pick." 

All the brooms in front of him were old and tattered, and none particularly appealed to him - until he noticed one in slightly better condition, but of a different model. Hefting it, he nodded to Hooch. "I'll be taking this one." 

"That's a Comet 180. Are you sure? They haven't been around in ages, and the last person on it..." she shuddered. "It wasn't good. In fact, I'll be surprised if they bring out a new Comet after that last mishap." 

"You know, trying to scare me with horror stories isn't going to change my mind about this broom," said Alex, noticing that though this broom was quite old, it felt almost as familiar as his old Firebolt. "So, are we going to be chasing after Snitches, or are we going to do some fancy moves?" 

"I used to be a darn good Seeker myself, you know," said Hooch indignantly. "First one to catch the Snitch wins. Oy, Minerva!" 

"I swear you can be like a child sometimes, Rolanda," said McGonagall, taking the box containing the snitch out of Hooch's hand. "On your mark, get set, GO!" 

She let go of the snitch, and little Harry giggled at the sight of the two adults zipping around the pitch. McGonagall smiled. She hadn't seen Rolanda this happy since their school days. 

"Yo, Potter, bet you can't do this!" Hooch did several aerial spins in the air downwards, and then turned upwards at a sharp angle. 

"I can do better than that!" With those words, Alex Potter began his favourite move, the Wronski Feint. Closer and closer to the ground he went, and he heard a gasp of horror from McGonagall. With only two feet to spare, he pulled up, and grinned, holding up the snitch. "How'd you like that?" 

"Tha-that was incredible!" shouted Hooch enthusiastically. "I've only ever seen it done by Josef Wronski...and he had one of the best brooms there is! How'd you do that with that old thing?" 

Alex smirked. "It's called talent." 

"Blegh." Hooch made a face at him. "I don't think anything I do can beat that one. Say, how ‘bout we get together a team of teachers to play? Wouldn't that be neat?" 

"Alex Potter!" exclaimed McGonagall. "You get down here and explain now!" 

"I've known her for what, five hours, and she starts acting like my mother?" grimaced Alex. "But sure, yeah, that'd be neat. Which teachers will play though?"

"ALEX POTTER!" 

"Whoops, mother's calling," said Alex sheepishly. "I'll continue after I get yelled at." 

"Good luck with that," called Hooch. "Once she gets it in her head to lecture, she'll go on and on and on and on!" 

"I heard that, Rolanda Hooch!" shouted McGonagall, and then laid right into Alex. "Alex Potter, what on earth were you thinking! If you hadn't been able to pull out of that dive, you would have left this poor child parentless!" She didn't have to say again, but Alex felt it nonetheless.

"Minerva, it's all right," said Alex soothingly. "I've been doing this for ages. I know what I'm doing." 

"You just told me you hadn't been on a broom for several years! How could you just dive like that without taking precautions?" Her face was turning redder and redder. 

"You never lose your broom skills," said Alex. "It's okay, I'm fine." 

It didn't appease McGonagall, who now had steam coming out of her ears. Alex continued, "Fine, what if I told you I won't act so recklessly ever again?" 

McGonagall breathed, and shifted the child in her arms. "You better keep that promise, young man, or I'll hang you by your ears off of Gryffindor Tower!"

Alex winced. "Yes, ma'am." 

McGonagall turned to Hooch. "What were you thinking, daring him like that! He has a child! He's the Defense teacher Albus took AGES to find! How c-how!" She sputtered off. 

Hooch just smiled, listening to her friend rant. "Relax, Minerva. Kid knows what he's doing. Say, Minerva, how would you like to play Beater on our Teacher Quidditch team?" 

"Stop trying to change the subje- What?" 

"Yeah, a teacher's Quidditch team," said Hooch. "The way I see it, we have our Seeker here, I can play Keeper, and you can play Beater. I know Kevin Ryan used to play Chaser, so that leaves us with only one Beater and Chaser left to find." She grinned enthusiastically. "I'm sure Filius will want to play too!" 

McGonagall groaned. "You are impossible, Rolanda Hooch!" 

Hooch smiled cheekily. "And you still love me, don't cha?" 

Alex rolled his eyes. 

********

Dumbledore gazed outside, seeing two of his staff in the air, and a third on the ground. The portraits around had talked animatedly about the new staff member, and Dumbledore's attempt to get a good reading on the man had failed. Even his attempts to place a portrait in his rooms had failed. Who was this man, and was he dangerous? What side was he on? 

For Dumbledore did not truly believe that Voldemort was gone. The paranoid side of him knew that Tom Riddle would have set up safeguards before heading off to battle himself - not because he wasn't so arrogant as to believe anyone could beat him, but on the off chance a stray spell might off him. Tom had learned from the past: several great would-be Dark Lords had been killed, not in great dramatic battles, but often by accident. In fact, Grindelwald was the only Dark Lord in the past two centuries that had been killed in a one-on-one duel. 

Earlier this week, the attack on the Longbottoms shocked him: not because there had been an attack, but that it had been foiled. Bellatrix Lestrange had been known as one of Tom's best fighters; to be so easily taken down...and by a person now long gone, this was entirely sketchy. And Peter Pettigrew, who know one had ever suspected, now revealed to be a Death Eater? Revealed by this same unknown, Matthieu Rousseau? 

He paced around the office. It was obvious who the man was, unless there were two French, extremely talented, and powerful people around, which he highly doubted. And he had just hired him. 

Alexandre Matthieu Potter. A wild card in the upcoming war. The man had excellent credentials, it was true, and he seemed to be a fighter for the Light, but what was he really like? Was he an appropriate guardian for Harry Potter? And his mentor...Dumbledore could just feel the power flowing off of him. Two such powerful people should have garnered attention beforehand, yet...they hadn't. 

It was quite curious. He would have to keep a close watch on the man. He definitely didn't need two Dark Lords on his hands come the future. 

********

Ryan had come earlier in the day, and given Alex his curriculum. It wasn't bad at all, considering the professors Alex had had when he was in school. But these students wouldn't stand a chance at all in the upcoming years. Alex strongly believed in arming civilians during wartime. If the leaders weren't so preoccupied with rescuing civilians, then the war would progress a lot faster. And it wouldn't be so bad to have a new generation of prepared Aurors for the war, if Alex couldn't prevent Voldemort from rising from the grave. 

Which reminded him. He should probably start destroying the six Horcruxes while he could. The one in his own forehead had been rid of by a potion, made by the youngest Potions Master of the century, Severus Snape. Of course, he could brew it himself, but he didn't have the connections to get the materials that Snape had. Hence, he needed Snape. Of course, he also missed the friendship they had cultivated once Snape had seen past his father. And he no longer looked like a Potter anymore, though his name - crap. His name! Oh, well. He could probably get through the first two weeks before mentioning his name. Or perhaps he could mention his old last name first. He shrugged. He'd deal with the problem when it came. 

He looked down at the curriculum of the fifth years. This was hopeless! They were starting Protego's now. He had done that in his second year. Hmmm...well, it was definitely time to start improving their skills. The only problem he foresaw was the leap the fourth years would have to take from fourth to fifth. 

Ryan seemed to favour more theoretical work, and practical only with the approaching OWLs. That was fine. It seemed in the past the other teachers had been similar. If that was the case, then Alex would only have to review every so often and do practical most of the time. That suited him just fine. Practical was his strong suit, anyways. 

With that in mind, he began to re-write the curriculum. The sooner he finished, the more time he could spend with Har-Matt. He had to start calling the child that, if he were to grow up normally. Merlin had already worked out all the logistics (as usual), and apparently, it was even easier to do it in England than in France. It seemed Bagnold was just as incompetent as Fudge. 

He looked at the child, who was currently in his playpen beside his desk. Since Merlin had gone out, and McGonagall had to do her own work, Alex was left to care for Matt on his own. He didn't mind; he was a very sweet baby when he wasn't high on sugar. Earlier, in McGonagall's office, Matt had thrown a huge fit, partially from being tired, and partially from having sugar shoved down by Hooch. That crazy old lady should be in a mental institute. 

A knock sounded at the door. "Come in!" 

"Mr. Potter, how are you?" Alex almost groaned. Of all times for Slughorn to come, he had to come now. "Sorry, Professor Slughorn, my son's sleeping. Could we talk outside?" 

Slughorn had the good graces to look embarrassed, and his voice lowered a tad. "Sure, sure. So sorry about that." 

"It's all right," said Alex. "Matt's a deep sleeper. So, Professor Slughorn, what was on your mind?" 

"I took your suggestion to mind, Mr. Potter," said Slughorn. "I asked discretely about Albus's line of inquiry, and it turns out he had much the same idea as you did! Only, he's managed to snatch up Severus Snape. I remember him...what talent! And the youngest Potions Master in history! He and Lily Evans..." He trailed off. "In any case, he is coming to Hogwarts immediately, just to acclimatize, I imagine. I was wondering if you would like to come to dinner with us?"  

Would it be beneficial? Alex weighed the probabilities in his head. On one hand, if he were to be introduced elsewhere by, say, Dumbledore, then Snape would probably hate him. But Severus had no lost love for his old Head of House either. Yet, if he was seen consorting with a Slytherin, that might give him the upper hand. Making up his mind, he answered, "I'd be delighted too. Just tell me the time and date, and I'll be there." 

"That's a good chap!" exclaimed Slughorn enthusiastically, slapping Alex on his back. "Tomorrow night, in my quarters." He didn't have to add, dress formally. Slughorn was infamous for his prediction of impeccable style, and he more than not wanted others to do the same. If they weren't, well, he was wont to go on for ages about the current fashion of the day. 

"All right," said Alex. At that moment, he heard Matt waking up, and he quickly excused himself, quietly thanking his other self for coming to his rescue. He picked the child up, and rubbed the child's back, wondering why he wouldn't stop crying. It was only when he smelled the terrible stench and something leaking on to his hand... "Argh!" 

The child giggled. "Doo-doo!"

"Ugh," groaned Alex. "How can a child your size make so much mess? And why won't you stay still???" 

"Here, let me do it," said Merlin, who easily finished the job. "I always said children loved me no matter what time I'm in." 

"Very funny," muttered Alex. "So what are we going to do about Harry?" 

"You're going to have to call him Matthieu, or Matt, from now on," said Merlin, frowning. "We don't want the child confused out of his wits before the battle even begins." 

"If the battle ever begins," said Alex darkly. "But he - Oh, fine." 

"Glad you can see my point of view for once without having me to explain," said Merlin. "Now, about those Horcruxes. I've destroyed all but the Gaunt Ring. Oh, and our little Matt here, of course," At Alex's look, he shrugged. "Sorry, I don't speak Parseltongue." 

"I suppose I could do it," said Alex. "Though I'm not sure how Dumbledore got through the defenses in the first place. What about that potion?" 

"I don't know what Dumbledore was thinking," said Merlin. "No, unfortunately, my talents do not lie in that area. You, however, are proficient enough to brew it, I believe." 

"No, no," said Alex. "I know I can brew it, but I don't know where I could get all the materials. Some of those ingredients are quite...rare and nasty." 

"I see," said Merlin. "I could get them for you, but I'm due in 1805 in a few days. The Lewis and Clark Expedition will freeze to death if I don't get there. Not to mention, they have a rare animal the Wizarding World hasn't heard about in years..." 

"Okay, okay, I get it," said Alex. "I can ask Snape anyways. But it'll just take longer to get to know him, that's all. Not to mention, when he finds out I'm a Potter, he'll be all over me. You know how he was with Matt's father." He made a face, then added wryly. "It took himages for us to actually have a decent conversation. Though he did prefer Hermione to me..." 

"Probably because she was more intelligent," said Merlin. "Don't look so insulted. You don't think I actually sat the Second Great Wizarding War out?" 

"It looked like you had sat there in that dingy room for a quarter of a century," said Alex. 

"It's been nice bantering with you, Alex," said Merlin. "But I have to go prepare for my departure." 

"Sore loser," muttered Alex, as soon as Merlin was out of earshot. "Wouldn't you agree, Matt?" 

The baby giggled. 

********

"Everyone, this is Alex Potter, whom most of you have met already, I presume?" stated Dumbledore. At most of the staff's nods of affirmation, he continued, "Well, I suppose we could go around in a circle and introduce ourselves." 

Alex coughed, deeply embarrassed. "Alexandre Potter, Defense against the Dark Arts." 

He turned to the person beside him, who gave him a tiny nod. "Minerva McGonagall, Transfiguration, Head of Gryffindor House." 

"Kevin Ryan, Defense against the Dark Arts." The man winked, sensing that Alex was not quite comfortable. 

"Horace Slughorn, Potions, Head of Slytherin House, charmed, my boy," said Slughorn, who couldn't resist adding his term of endearment to a person he had barely met. "And my assistant, and the future Potions professor, Severus Snape, will be arriving tomorrow." 

All the teachers ooh-ed and ah-ed, having only heard the news. When they settled down, Flitwick introduced himself. "Filius Flitwick, Charms, Head of Ravenclaw House." 

"Septima Vector, Arithmancy," said the woman beside Flitwick. There was a pregnant pause, as Trelawney seemed to have lost herself - again. "Sybil?" 

"Ah..." intoned Trelawney. "I see Death in your future, child, much Death." 

Alex rolled his eyes. Trelawney was the same, no matter what year it was. Dumbledore quickly covered for her. "Alex, that's Sybil Trelawney, our Divination Professor. Charity, would you continue?" 

"I'm Charity Burbage, Professor of Muggle Studies!" said the young woman enthusiastically. "Muggles are so fascinating, don't you agree?" 

"Ah..." said Alex awkwardly. "I suppose you could say that." 

Before Burbage could continue, Hagrid butted in. "Rubeus ‘agrid, but jus' call me ‘agrid. I'm the Groun'skeeper ‘ere." 

"Madam Pomfrey, Mediwitch," said Madam Pomfrey. "I better not see you in the Hospital Wing, young man." 

"Ah, okay," said Alex with a laugh. "I can't promise though." The other staff twittered (McGonagall glared at him), before they took up introductions again. 

"Silvanus Kettleburn, Professor of Care of Magical Creatures," said the next man stiffly. 

"Aurora Sinistra, Astronomy," said the woman next to Kettleburn. "Pleased to meet you." 

"Thanks," stated Alex. Now, who was the next person? 

"Bathsheba Babbling, Ancient Runes," said the woman. Ah, one of Hermione's favourite professors. 

"Pomona Sprout, Herbology, and Head of Hufflepuff, but you already know that, dear," said Sprout. "Where's little Matt?"

"Mr. Erlin is caring for him right now," said Alex tersely. 

McGonagall explained for the staff who hadn't been informed of the situation. "Matthieu is Alex's son and will be staying with him for the duration of his time here." 

To Alex's surprise (which, really, he shouldn't have been, considering), all the women began to ask him questions about his child, including his age (this brought about more cooing), what he looked like, and he just had tobring Matt along the next staff meeting. Alex groaned. At this rate, Matt would be spoiled despite the fact he was not known to be Harry Potter. Then, he noticed the Headmaster looking at him quite...strangely. Dismissing it, he turned to the next person he was to be introduced to: Rolanda Hooch, who proceeded to tell the entire staff how amazing Alex was on a broom. Finally, the introductions came to an end.

"Alex, our librarian and our caretaker, Irma Pince and Argus Filch, as well as our history Professor, Professor Binns, were unable to make it, unfortunately," said Dumbledore. Alex waved it off, saying he would soon be acquainted with them anyways. "Now, have there been any recent problems we need to address?" 

"Lorcan D'Eath has been singing non-stop since he has decided he wants to become a singer," said Ryan. "Now, I know he is quite talented, but he's causing quite a disturbance among the girls, especially when he's singing after hours, broadcasting his voice using Sonorus." 

The other staff chuckled. "D'Eath is quite...vivacious, isn't he?" asked Dumbledore. "Well, Filius, as he is in your house, I trust you will speak to him on this matter, won't you?"

"I've tried, Albus," said Flitwick. "The boy cannot be caught, and we have little proof, beyond the fact his name is announced after the songs. Whenever we try to catch him in the act, we see him doing something else instead. He even talks while the songs are running." 

"Could it be a recording?" asked McGonagall. 

"That's Mastery level Charms," said Flitwick. "And as much as he is intelligent, he does not have the talent to do such a thing." 

"Could he have gotten a Muggle one?" suggested Burbage. "It wouldn't be impossible then." 

"Electricity doesn't work in Hogwarts, does it, Headmaster?" asked Alex. "Or else my watch would be working on the batteries like it's supposed to." 

"It doesn't matter," said Dumbledore with a wave. "Let the child have a bit of fun before he has to leave. Now, on to more trying topics..."

They talked about the children they caught in broom closets, and Sinistra groaned about how many couples she had found asleep in the Astronomy Tower, and couldn't Albus do something about it? Finally, the meeting wound down, and Dumbledore dismissed most of the staff, excluding McGonagall and Flitwick. Did it have to do with the end of the war?

As soon as the other teachers had all left, and he had said all his goodnight's, he doubled back. Luckily, the door was still open, and with an Extendable Ear given to him by the Weasley twins, he heard the conversation clearly. He frowned. It was something he hadn't at all considered about the war...

Chapter End Notes:
Hello!

I'm sad to say no one got it...It was Eric Blair, a.k.a. George Orwell. I think you'll agree with me that Blair in the last chapter was quite the opposite of what Orwell represented and believed.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. The next chapter won't be coming out for a while (I need to catch up in school). BUT. you can check my status report on ff.net just to see how soon I'll be done the next chapter. there's a link on my profile here at p&s.

Please review (I promise to reply ASAP), and tell me what you think!

see you later,
~shige