Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Alex snoops, has a little appointment with new clothes, new woman, and sets the stage for a bit of surprise for the Wizarding World. He also meets Snape...for the first time!
Chapter 4: Friendly Fire

 "The Minister has requested that we hand over all the students with Death Eater ties," said Dumbledore. "As of right now, the Ministry has no jurisdiction within Hogwarts, but the Minister has indicated that as a sign of goodwill, we should do as they ask." 

"But they're still children!" exclaimed Sprout. "And we know many of their families were blackmailed..." 

Blackmailed? Alex wondered. Not all Death Eaters were truly Voldemort's? He shook his head. No, Karkaroff hadn't given off that sort of an impression either. The voices clamoured again. 

"Albus!" said McGonagall. "For goodness sake, if they're innocent, they'll be let off. Give them to the Ministry. We don't need a conflict right at the end of the war." 

No, they won't, thought Alex, remembering his godfather. Not in a million years. 

"Wait," said Flitwick. "Is there any way to test their loyalties while they're still here? I've heard rumours they weren't even going to give Sirius Black a trial. Thank goodness Lily Potter's diary showed up in the search."

 

Alex smiled. Earlier, he had placed the diary in a place where he knew the Aurors were sure to see. Or at least, Albus Dumbledore to see. But they were still talking. 

"I could ask Horace to brew Veritaserum," said Albus. 

"But we all know Horace's brewing skills," protested McGonagall. "He may be the Potions professor, but he's certainly no Potions Master." 

"Well...who can we trust to do it then?" asked Flitwick. "We certainly can't." 

"Oh! I know who can!" exclaimed Sprout. "Alex Potter holds a Potions Mastery! I'm certain he could help. He's such a nice boy." 

Albus frowned. "Certainly, but we aren't assured of which side he has taken." 

"Oh, for Merlin's sake," said McGonagall. "If you've hired him, he must be safe. Besides, I know he's caught several Death Eaters, and he works for the DMLE in France. How can you even question that? Besides, he's the only one who can brew it right now."

Alex almost chuckled out loud. ‘So Dumbledore doesn't trust me, eh?' 

"All right, then," stated Dumbledore. "I will approach Alexandre tomorrow. As for the Order, I have decided not to disband it until we can be sure there is no threat." 

"But You-Know-Who is gone!" exclaimed Sprout. "Is there any danger left?" 

"I'm sure the Longbottoms could attest to that, Pomona," said McGonagall dryly. "But Albus, do you truly believe he isn't gone?" 

"There wasn't a body," replied Dumbledore. "And I have reason to believe Voldemort well-equipped himself in case." 

"Don't you think you're being a bit paranoid, Albus?" said Flitwick. "If he hasn't fallen, surely there would have been some incident right now."  

"No," replied Dumbledore. "But that's a conversation for another time. We should all head to bed now. I'm sure all of us have to be alert for tomorrow."   

Alex quickly took the Extendable Ear and ran down the hallway, careful to cast a Silencing Charm and disillusioned himself. Quickly ducking into a nearby alcove, Alex waited until he heard all their footsteps fade away. He quickly made his way into his quarters, where Merlin was waiting for him. 

"So, how was it?" asked Merlin, who was sipping a cuppa on the sofa in the living room.

"It was a bit awkward, actually," said Alex. "When the women all found out Matt was here, they started clamouring to see him. Strange obsession, women with babies. Apparently there's a wannabe singer here who keeps belting out tunes at the wrong time." He shrugged. "McGonagall, Sprout, and Flitwick stayed behind." 

"I'm sure you caught the whole conversation though," said Merlin. "And yes, the half-vampire. He's quite exuberant. I believe he may be the beginning of better relations between humans and vamps, but that's my opinion. So what did they say?" 

"Who?" asked Alex. 

"McGonagall, Sprout, Flitwick, and Dumbledore, of course," said Merlin. "I know you stayed behind and eavesdropped. Bad habit of yours, I rather think." 

"I'm not going to respond to that," said Alex. "But yeah...they were just talking about Death Eater students. Apparently they're going to ask me to brew Veritaserum for them tomorrow. Only problem is, should I brew the stronger version, or the regular one?" He paused. "I don't think anyone could see the difference, but there are obvious faults in the old version. But you know Dumbledore...he can see anything." 

"I'd say brew the stronger version," said Merlin. "Potions wasn't Dumbledore's forte at all." 

"All right, then," said Alex. "Speaking of which, you transferred my Masteries, right?" 

"Of course I did," said Merlin. "What do you think I am, slow?" 

"No, never," said Alex quickly. "Should I go and get my Defense Mastery? I think I could take the test now." 

"If you want," said Merlin. "But why you would need it is beyond me. Most of your colleagues don't, you know." 

"A larger paycheck would be good," joked Alex. 

"You've got two Potter estates and the Black estate," said Merlin. "What more do you need?" 

"Meh," said Alex. "But still." 

"You really want to stick out like a sore thumb?" asked Merlin rhetorically, shaking his head. "It's up to you. I could certainly arrange for a test if you like." 

"Could I do it tomorrow? I think it would give me more clout," said Alex. "With Dumbledore and the Ministry, I mean. It would look terribly stupid if I'm an Auror and a Defense Professor and I don't have a Defense Mastery, but Potions and Transfiguration instead." 

"I'll check," said Merlin. "But why not just claim one? I could do that easily enough." 

"Because I told McGonagall I don't have a Defense Mastery," said Alex.   

"Why in God's name would you do that?" asked Merlin. 

"They asked!" exclaimed Alex. "What was I supposed to say? No? And then have Dumbledore check?" 

"Good point," said Merlin. "But it'll have to be next week." 

"Okay," nodded Alex. "But you'll have to take care of Matt then." 

"No problem," said Merlin. "I'm leaving on the Saturday, so we'll have to do it sometime this week. You don't have to teach, right?" 

"Yeah," said Alex. "But I'll be observing the classes while Ryan teaches...but he could spare a day, I'm sure." 

"Mhm," said Merlin. "I'll check at the Ministry tomorrow. Excellent, more paperwork. In fact, I think I shall do it now." 

"All right," said Alex. "Thanks. I think I'm going to bed now...I want to be at breakfast early tomorrow, and I still need to get dress robes - for tomorrow night with Slughorn, I mean." 

"Don't go to Madam Malkins'," advised Merlin. "She rips people off. Go to Ribbons and Robes. Much more affordable there. Better quality too."

 "Huh," said Alex. "Really? How come I've never heard of it?" 

"Only people who know of it can enter," said Merlin. "It's not in Diagon Alley either. It's here in Hogsmeade." 

"Oh," said Alex. "That's good. I don't have to go so far then."

"Relax, Alex," said Merlin. "It's only a dinner anyways." 

"Uh huh," said Alex. "I'm meeting an old friend who doesn't actually know I'm a friend, and, on top of all that, he hates my last name and me old dad, or rather, little Matt's da. Yeah, real soothing." 

"You know it's your own fault," said Merlin. "I changed it to Fitzpotter." 

"Because I wanted something to remember my parents by!" exclaimed Alex, throwing up his hands. "Infuriating old man. I'm going to bed." 

Merlin chuckled. "Goodnight, then." 

********

Severus Snape paced the length of the small room he had rented under a disguise. He had barely been able to stay away from the Aurors, particularly the ones his age. All of them knew of his alliance - no, his subservience - to the Dark Lord, and it would take a simple shift to his robe's sleeves to prove it. 

Only Albus Dumbledore knew differently. After all, he had been the one Snape had reported to. But would he be willing to attest to that? Snape shook his head. As much as that man had good intentions, he never knew what Dumbledore was up to. It may be, as the Greater Good decreed, that he would be sent to Azkaban. 

Not that he minded. He still had to atone for what he had done. The words he had spoken for what seemed an eternity ago echoed over and over in his mind. The contradiction within himself tore at him, calling him a hypocrite, coward, failure. And he was...all the above. 

Stopping, he placed his forehead on the clear, cool apartment wall, unwilling to let his tears go. He clenched his fist tightly. It wasn't supposed to be like this! He saw her body...broken and lifeless. His whole life's one redeeming quality - gone. And his spying had been all for naught. What a fool he had been! 

The tears began to fall down his face. His hands made no effort to move, other than to support his now weakening body against the wall. He would stay upright, if only for the sake of Lily's little boy. He had checked on the boy, at Lily's dear sister's house, only to be told he had been adopted and taken away. Who had taken him? Surely not that mutt - he was currently in Azkaban. The wolf was not an option, for obvious reasons. Alice Longbottom had been killed in a scuffle with the Lestranges and Crouch Jr. Snape scowled. Dumbledore had promised him that should Lily's sister been unable to care for him, and that all his respective godparents were dead or incapable of doing so, the boy would go to Snape. He chuckled darkly. As if that would happen. The Boy-Who-Lived to be cared for by a Death Eater, and a snarky git at that. It seemed his life was one colossal joke. 

At that very moment, the window was blasted open by a rather large owl, one that he recognized as being Horace Slughorn's, his old Head of House. Like the man, the owl was a bit obese and thought itself grand. Of course, neither the man nor his familiar were anything but, though no one ever bothered to tell them, to spare their feelings. Gilderoy Lockhart, on the other hand...Snape shuddered. The man had been four years ahead of him, and a Slytherin at that, though God knows how he had gotten in. With his smile, he had charmed everyone. To Severus, that smile only reminded him of the nice teeth he would never have, but it was no great loss. He, in no way shape or form, needed blinding teeth, period. 

He frowned as he read the missive. "Teaching Potions at Hogwarts?" he muttered aloud. "That interfering old man..." 

His eye caught one line in the missive. You were recommended by an Alexandre Potter, who has stated that you are an excellent Potions Master. Since he is a Potions Master himself, I have decided to take him at his word. I have spoken with Albus Dumbledore, and he has agreed with my choice. Who was Alexandre Potter? The bastard he went to school with had no siblings, nor did his father have any siblings.  And Dumbledore hadn't recommended him? Would wonders never cease? He continued reading: Therefore, it is to my greatest delight and pleasure to cordially invite you to dinner in my quarters at Hogwarts, if you choose to accept the position. 

Well, Slughorn certainly hadn't changed. Snape paused pensively, thinking about his future options. If he accepted the offer, he would have the chance to look for Lily's child when he came of age, even though it would be ten years from now. If he wasn't able to protect the child now, he could certainly protect the child in the future. His fist tightened again. That was what he was going to do.

 Taking his last piece of spare parchment, he quickly scribbled his acceptance, and that he would be pleased to dine with his old Professor. An hour later, the same owl returned, looking just a wee bit tired. Sunday evening at 7:30pm? 

The note he sent back, now resting in the owl's talons, indicated his assent. 

********

"Honestly, Alex, you are worse than a high strung chicken in front of the chopping block," said Merlin. "Would you just relax and go to breakfast?" 

Alex looked up miserably, and sagged back into the chair he currently inhabited. "You'd be nervous too." If this were happening to you. 

"Just breathe in, and breathe out," suggested Merlin. "You'll be fine." 

"And if I'm not?" asked Alex vehemently. "Will you save me, oh-great-Merlin?"

"I doubt you'll need rescuing," said Merlin. "Oh, look, it's time for my appointment at the Ministry. Time to go!" 

He activated the floo, and jumped in, all the while merrily whistling.  Alex groaned. "Oh, for Pete's sake!" He shook his head, and stood up to leave, remembering to pick up Matt as he left. As he walked down the hallway, he was surprised by the many cheery greetings he received. 

"G'morning, Pr'fessor Potter," said little Bill, his flaming red hair a complete mess.

 "'Morning, Bill," replied Alex. The two of them continued to walk down the hall together, talking about various things, including Quidditch and their families. By the time they had reached the Great Hall, Bill had somehow managed to make Alex promise to show him some Quidditch moves. 

Entering the Hall, Alex could feel several eyes on him - including the very people who had been talking about him the night before. As he sat down, he was careful not to show he noticed the almost blatant stares. Instead, he greeted them simply, "Good morning."

Most of them turned away, embarrassed. McGonagall answered him, though. "Good morning, Alex. How are you today?" 

"I'm all right, thanks," he replied, then winced as Matt pulled his ear. "Ow, Matt, stop that!" 

The women at that table took that as a chance to take the child. Sprout got there first. "Alex, would you like me to hold him?" 

"Sure," said Alex, noticing his arms were getting a bit tired, and conveniently forgetting what he had thought were women's only objectives. Sitting down, he piled large amounts of food on his plate, but was very careful not to wolf down his food like Ron did. As he passed on the plate to Ryan, McGonagall asked him, "Are you doing anything today?" 

"Mmm...I'm not sure," said Alex, who knew full well what she was asking. "I need to study for my Mastery test. I might brew a couple potions for Matt after that. He's starting to get colicky. Which reminds me..." He turned to Slughorn. "Professor, could I borrow one of your labs for a couple of hours?" 

"Sure, my boy," replied Slughorn. "Take your time. You do know where they are?" 

"Yeah," answered Alex. Did he ever. "Don't worry, I'll take care of ‘em. I have to go shopping later anyways." 

"Oh, you are?" asked Sprout. "Would you like me to care for Matt, then?" 

"Oh, no," said Alex, smirking on the inside. "I really couldn't ask you to do that. Besides, Mr. Erlin will be coming back later today." 

"Oh," said Sprout, not in the least fuddled. "Will you be introducing him at dinner?" 

"If you like," said Alex. "Though he's been here already." 

"Oh, you mean that dignified old gentleman!" said Sprout, her eyes widening. "Oh, then yes, I have met him, but not properly introduced." 

"Then I shall gladly do so tonight, madam," said Alex, mock-bowing gallantly as he stood. "As for the present, I must take leave of your presence. I've lots to do today." 

He took a hop from the High Table, making sure Matt was safely tucked in his arms before doing so.  As he passed through the door, he made sure to walk extra slow...and he was rewarded for it. "Mr. Potter!"

Alex turned around. "Yes, Minerva?" 

"Oh," stuttered McGonagall, who had clearly been unnerved by Alex's cool demeanor. "I, err, well...I was wondering if you could do us - me - a favour." 

Alex smiled. Hook, line, and sinker. "Depends on what the favour is." 

"Oh, it's nothing difficult, really," said McGonagall, clearly flustered. In fact, she looked almost like Hermione did when things didn't go her way. "Could you brew me a potion?" 

"A potion?" Alex's right eyebrow rose. "Depends...are the materials here in the school?" 

"They should be..." McGonagall answered, wringing her hands. 

"So...what's the potion?" asked Alex. 

Instead of responding to his question, McGonagall dragged him down to the dungeons where the potions labs were located. As soon as they were safe inside, McGonagall waved her wand, checking for any eavesdroppers. Finding none, she responded, "Veritaserum." 

"Why would you need that?" asked Alex. ‘C'mon, you can tell me.' 

"Well, I really couldn't say," said McGonagall. "I'll have to ask Albus if I can tell you..." 

"I don't know..." said Alex, displaying a doubtful look. "I mean, I trust you and everything, but Veritaserum's some pretty dangerous stuff."   

McGonagall paused, and was about to reply, when she was interrupted. "There's no need, Minerva, I'll talk to the boy myself." 

"Albus!" McGonagall almost cried out in relief (of course, she didn't do so, being the dignified person that she was). "Thank Merlin. You can explain. I refuse to do your work for you." 

Alex had to smother a laugh. "So, Headmaster, why would like me to brew Veritaserum for you?" 

"In the interest of the war, of course," replied Dumbledore. 

 Alex feigned innocence. "Isn't it over?"  

"You know it isn't," stated Dumbledore. "We have Voldemort's followers to capture." 

"Shouldn't you leave that to the Ministry?" Alex deliberately baited the man. "After all, as an officer of a government, I'm not sure I can endorse in vigilante activity." 

There was a dead silence. Dumbledore and McGonagall thought that was a final stance, but Alex surprised him. Smiling cheekily, he said, "But hey, you know I've never been on the other side of the law before. Sure, I'll do it. When do you want it?"

Two blank stares met his question. Alex sighed, and repeated the question. "I said, when do you want it?" 

"We, err, heard you the first time, Alex," stuttered McGonagall. "But why?" 

"Why what?" asked Alex, as he walked around the room, gathering his materials. "Why am I brewing it for you?" 

"Yes, Mr. Potter," said Dumbledore, who now knew he was being played. "You know nothing of our intentions and yet...you would do this for us?" 

"Your intentions are clear," said Alex offhandedly. "It was quite simple to deduce, really. For the greatest wizard of our age, you can be remarkably simple." 

McGonagall sputtered at that. "Oh, really, Mr. Potter?" 

"Err, I didn't mean anything by it, Minerva, promise," said Alex, backtracking. "Only...it's the end of the war, and I'm sure you've got kids here with Death Eater ties, yeah? So I'm thinking you just want to make sure you know what side they're on." 

Dumbledore blinked. "You have remarkable deduction skills, Mr. Potter. Quite talented indeed."

"Thank you, Headmaster," said Alex. "Oh, what am I doing? I have some right here. Veritaserum, I mean." He pulled several vials out of his pocket. "My own special formula. I've been tweaking it here and there...I hope you don't mind using it. If you do mind, I can brew you the normal one. I just find it's harder to lie under mine than what the Ministry brews." 

Now they were both gaping at him like fishes. "Oh, c'mon, you know I'm a Potions Master, right? That's what I do best, for Merlin's sake." As an afterthought, "That and Transfiguration and catching criminals. It's a bloody crime, that's what I think, when people think I can't brew because I like my wand."   

Dumbledore recovered first. "Very well, then, Mr. Potter. I am in your debt, again." 

Alex smiled cheerfully. "Don't mention it, Headmaster. Oh, I should probably warn you that there are two full doses in each vial. You don't want them sputtering out every bit of their lives, I should think." 

The Headmaster paled. "No, certainly not. Thank you." 

He walked out of the room, but McGonagall stayed behind. "Alex, what did he mean by again?" 

Alex answered nonchalantly. "Oh, I got rid of the curse behind the Defense position, though I'm almost positive Ryan's still under it. He passed by those doors too many times for his own good, I'm afraid." 

"Doors?" McGonagall was confused. 

"Oh, sure, didn't you know?" asked Alex. "Lord Oldyfart put a curse on all the doorways of the Great Hall. Simply ingenious, don't you think?"

"Yes," said McGonagall unsurely. "Alex, how will you be spending your day?"

 Alex looked at the child in the next room. "Well, I was going to buy dress robes today, but Christoph's at the Ministry, so he can't take care of Matt today." He heaved a dramatic sigh. "So I guess I shall be taking the kid shopping with me. I dare say I could probably get something for him too, while I'm at it."

"I see," said McGonagall. "Pomona did volunteer her services..." 

"I don't think Matt'd be too comfortable with strangers just yet," said Alex. "But I might drop by and let Matt get to know the staff." 

"You could do that just as well at the impromptu staff meetings we have every night after curfew," reminded McGonagall. "I'm sure you'd enjoy it." 

"Well, Matt does sleep quite early..." he trailed off. There were staff gatherings after curfew? 

"Oh," she said, clearly disappointed. "Well, never mind then. But we do have some in the afternoon on Hogsmeade weekends, and there's one coming up next week." 

"That sounds interesting," said Alex. 

"That reminds me," said McGonagall, who started fishing in her pockets for something. "Ah, here it is. Your schedule for patrolling and which Hogsmeade weekends you're responsible for. Of course, I don't think you'll be asked to patrol too often, what with little Matthieu and all. But I'm sure you'd enjoy Hogsmeade, especially since we haven't had one in so long without You-Know- Who hanging around our heads." She shook her head. "Alex, is your schedule acceptable?" 

"Oh, it's fine, Minerva," said Alex. "It's just that there's something that the back of my head I can't figure out." 

"Back of your head?" McGonagall peered behind him. "There's nothing there." 

"Oh, sorry," said Alex sheepishly. "It's a Muggle expression. I just meant...there's something nagging at me that I can't quite grasp at the moment, that's all." He shrugged. "It's okay, it'll come back." 

"If you're sure..." said McGonagall doubtfully. "You should probably go buy those robes, Alex, before it's too late. Horace was telling me about your dinner engagement tonight." 

"Err...yes," said Alex. "I'm pretty keen on meeting Mr. Snape. A Potions Master at eighteen! You know, besides you, me, and Mr. Snape, no one's ever gotten their Mastery before the age of at least thirty!" 

McGonagall laughed wryly. "And Severus is your age, is that it?" 

"Er, well, yeah," said Alex. "But I'm pretty nervous too. I mean, he must be absolutely brilliant!" 

"You are brilliant in your own right, Alex," said McGonagall. "Now, I'm going to take the child off your hands while you go shopping. Shoo!" 

Alex held up his hands in mock surrender as he inched backwards towards the door. "All right, all right, I'm going!" 

"Hooligan," muttered McGonagall. Alex merely laughed, and ran down the hallway. "No running, Mr. Potter!" 

She winced. For someone who hadn't ever met James Potter, Alexandre Potter had a remarkable resemblance to him.

 

********

A high, lilted voice greeted him. "Welcome to Ribbons and Robes, how may we help you today?" 

"I've come to look for a couple of dress robes," said Alex. "And maybe some casual as well." He thought of the robes he had brought with him, and he internally winced. All of them were more or less battle robes, and the one relatively decent one he had was the uniform of la Department de la Police de la Magie (or DPM). And he definitely would not be wearing that in his first meeting with Snape. That would be...awkward, especially considering Snape was on the run from the DMLE here in England. 

"Any specifics?" asked the woman, who had already taken her measuring tools out. "Colours, length, style?" 

"Err...I'm not quite sure," said Alex. "Blue? Black? Red? Err...green would be all right too, I think." 

"Oh, you're one of those," huffed the woman. "Merlin forbid I have a decent customer..." 

"Sorry," Alex sheepishly said. "I'm not used to picking out dress robes for myself. My girlfriend..." 

The woman seemed to see that the direction of the conversation was not going over with her customer. "Oh, I'm sorry, dearie. But I must know, what colours did she pick for you?" 

"Oh, the ones I mentioned earlier," said Alex. "And I don't think I want anything frilly." 

The woman looked insulted. "Of course not," she said. "We don't sell frilly here. We sell beautiful, comfortable...but not frilly. If you wanted frilly, you can go to Twilfit and Tatter's." She huffed about in disgust. "Frilly robes indeed! Shame upon the art!"

"Sorry about that," said Alex. "See, I'm not from around here, so I wouldn't know."

"I can tell," said the woman. "You have a French lilt to your English." 

"Whoops," said Alex, and was promptly buried in white robes. "Uh...help a little bit?" 

"Sorry, dearie," said the woman. "The robe chooses the wizard, don't you know. Then I tailor it your needs. See?" 

All Alex could "see" was the rapidly diminishing pile disappearing off his face. "Ah, perfect for you, these styles. How many of these do you want?" 

"Two dress robes, one in black, the other red, I think," said Alex. "And then...three teaching robes, in black, blue, and green. And the five casual, ummm...same colours?" 

"You've only given me four colours, young man," said the woman cheerfully. 

"Err...grey?" asked Alex. The woman turned around and looked at him like there was something wrong with him. Alex sputtered indignantly. "What's wrong with grey?" 

"What's wrong with it?" asked the woman incredulously. "Do you want to look like a hobo off the street? No, grey will not do. Brown...no, not that either. Yellow?" 

"No, definitely not yellow," shuddered Alex, remembering his mishaps with the Weasley Twins' Canary Cream. "Why don't I just take another blue?" 

"As you wish," said the woman. "Come back in an hour." 

"An hour?" asked Alex, his mouth agape. "You can do it that quickly?" 

"Of course," said the woman. "Who do you think I am, Madam Malkins?"

"No, no, definitely not, madam," said Alex. "An hour...yeah." With that, he fled into the streets, eager to get away from the scary old lady. "I'm going to get that old man for doing this to me!" He huffed as he walked to the Three Broomsticks, not noticing at all how most other people gave him a wide berth in the road. "Oh, Merlin...you are so going to get it!"

If the people around him truly understood what he was saying, they would have looked a little more closely. As it was, he was getting enough strange stares. Walking into the pub, he seated himself in front of the counter. 

Madam Rosmerta greeted him. "Hello! I haven't seen a new fellow in ages! I'm Christina Rosmerta, but most people call me Madam Rosmerta." Alex stared at her for a bit. She hadn't looked...this pretty the last time he had seen her. What would you like?" 

"Hello," said Alex, finally done letting all his steam out (and realizing how embarrassing it was to be caught staring). "A Butterbeer would be fine, thanks." 

"Very well," said Madam Rosmerta. "Say, you aren't that new Defense Professor up at Hogwarts, are you?" 

Alex looked like a deer caught in front of headlights. "Er, well, yes, I am. How'd you know?" 

"Oh, Professor Ryan's been down here quite frequently," said Madam Rosmerta. "He's such a darling. My age, you know." 

"Oh, really?" Alex asked. Kevin Ryan easily looked at least five years older than him...Madam Rosmerta was truly older than him by five years? She looked so much younger! "So...you've got your sight set upon him then?" 

"Oh, my, no," blushed Madam Rosmerta. "But if he keeps coming down here, maybe I will be!" 

"I wish you good luck, then," said Alex, then asked sheepishly, "Could I have a sandwich with my Butterbeer? I just realized I'm kinda hungry." 

"Coming right up!" In seconds, the sandwich was placed in front of Alex, and he began to devour his target ferociously. "Mmm...this is delicious!"

"Why, thank you," blushed Madam Rosmerta. "Say, I didn't catch your name..." 

"Oh," said Alex, as he wiped his mouth with a napkin. "Alexandre Potter, it's nice to meet you. But please, call me Alex." 

"All right then, Alex," said Madam Rosmerta, with a twinkle in her eye. "So I heard you have a son?" 

"Yeah," said Alex, and tried to assume the proud-father look. "Matthieu's his name. Cute little tyke, if I do say so myself." 

Madam Rosmerta laughed. "Oh? How old is he?" 

"He's almost two," said Alex. "But I've been told the Terrible Twos are the worst." 

She mock-shuddered. "My nephew just turned four, but from the time he was two, he was a right nightmare! Always throwing tantrums, drawing on walls, stealing my sister's wand...it was pretty bad." 

"You're putting me on, right?" asked Alex incredulously. "Please tell me you are." 

"Nope," smirked Madam Rosmerta. "Good luck, ‘cause you'll need it!" She frowned. "Where's your wife, then?" 

"Oh..." said Alex, and smiled painfully. "She passed away giving birth to little Matt...I don't really like to talk about it." 

"I'm really sorry, Alex," said Madam Rosmerta gently. "Tell you what, this meal's on me." 

"Wait, you don't have to do that," objected Alex. 

"Don't worry about it," dismissed Madam Rosmerta. "You'll just have to come back, then." 

"Like I wouldn't!" said Alex. "Your food's really great!" As he reached for his Butterbeer, he suddenly saw the time.  "Oh my gosh!"

"What?" Madam Rosmerta was suddenly alarmed. 

"I have to go get my robes!" With a dash, Alex Potter was out the door, leaving the door swinging and creaking. "See you later!" 

Alex had a feeling the scary lady in the shop would definitely not appreciate his lateness. With a bang, he entered the shop. "I'm back!" 

"Do me the simple courtesy next time to open the door, and not run through it," said the woman frostily. "Fortunately for you, I had this door custom designed for more...exuberant customers like you." She passed him a bag. "Here are your robes. 95 Galleons, please."

"Really?" asked Alex. "Only 95?" 

"Would you like to pay me more?" asked the woman. "I have no objections." 

"Oh, no," said Alex. "It's just the other stores...I'd have to pay at least 300 Galleons, that's all." 

"Well, dearie," said the woman. "I am not like the other stores, am I?" 

"No, no," said Alex. As soon as he had paid and said his thanks, he booted out of the shop.  By the time he reached Hogwarts, he was panting quite heavily. 

"Goodness, Alexandre Potter!" exclaimed McGonagall, who was currently carrying Matt. "What have you done to yourself?" 

"Running away from the scary lady," said Alex wryly, after catching his breath. "You know that woman who owns Ribbons and Robes? I swear she's a monster!"

"Really, now," chided McGonagall. "It couldn't have been that bad." 

"Ugh," said Alex. "I refuse to go there again until I have to get new robes." 

"I hope you bought nice robes," sniffed McGonagall disapprovingly. "I will not have another teacher in this school wearing robes like Albus's." 

Alex had to choke back a laugh. "Really, Minerva, can you see me wearing purple robes with yellow ducks on them?" 

"Why, no," admitted McGonagall. "But I have the impression you didn't pick out the robes yourself." 

"Err...I didn't," said Alex. "The robes chose me." 

"The robes chose you?" asked McGonagall. "Are you sure you aren't confusing them with wands?" 

"Of course not," sputtered Alex. "You wouldn't understand...anyways, I was thinking of changing into one of them. Care to come and critique?" 

"Certainly," said McGonagall, shifting Matt on her hip. "I'd be delighted to." Then she muttered under her breath, "And if they're hideous, I can banish them." 

Alex laughed, and Matt giggled along with him. McGonagall just huffed, and said something akin to, "Like father, like son." 

*********

After receiving his "A-OK" from McGonagall, Alex decided to plan out precisely what he was going to do. But within half an hour, he had already started pacing back and forth within his study, and he still had no idea what to do. Thank goodness Merlin and McGonagall were outside busy talking; if they saw him like this, they would definitely snoop.

So far, he had getting rid of that last Horcrux first, and then wait for Voldemort's return. But the more he thought about it, the more upset he became. It honestly wasn't just about Voldemort; it was about the Wizarding society as a whole. If things continued on the way they were, well, they were just asking for another Dark Lord to rise again. The most glaring of these issues was the corruption of the government, and through it (albeit indirectly), the bias against the Muggleborns. 

But how would he start about changing everything? If he changed everything too drastically, would he be creating a better world, or a worse one? Thinking about this gave him a headache. The only bright side to this was the fact that Cornelius Fudge would not be in power for another eight years. Though...it didn't seem Bagnold was any better. At that moment, an owl swooped in and smacked him with the Daily Prophet. "Oi! What was that for?" 

The owl ignored him, and swept out again. Alex was about to start ranting about ignorant birds, when he caught the front page: Lucius Malfoy on Trial Tuesday

Alex smiled. Well, here's one place he could help, surely. Malfoy had bribed his way out of an Azkaban sentence the last time, but he wouldn't be getting away with it this time around. Alex grimaced. The thought was well and all, but how would he go around doing it? Surely, there had to be a way. He sat on his plush office chair, and pondered, looking not unlike A. A. Milne's bear when trying to get honey, so much so he was startled out of his wits when Merlin tapped him on the shoulder. "Merlin!" 

"Dear me," said Merlin. "So sorry for startling you."

Alex tried to shrug off his irritation. "No, it's okay...though you could have warned me." 

"I did, I called your name. Three times, might I add," said Merlin. 

"No, I meant the scary lady at the shop," said Alex, adding a meaningful look. "She was..." Alex shuddered. "Anyways, what do you want?"

 "Minerva and I were just wondering if you would like to have tea," said Merlin. "It's three already, you know." 

"Oh, sure," said Alex, and the two men walked out of the study together. "So, did you set up the appointment?" 

Merlin nodded. "It's Tuesday afternoon and all of Wednesday." 

"Tuesday??" asked Alex, pausing midstep. "Wait, give me a sec." He ran back to grab the Daily Prophet, and sighed a relief when he saw that Lucius Malfoy's trial was in the morning. "Thank goodness." 

"What's wrong, Alex?" asked McGonagall, who was feeding Matt milk from his bottle. 

"Oh, Lucius Malfoy, that's what's wrong," said Alex, a bit gloomily. "He's going to get off, I just know it. And then he's going to corrupt half the Wizarding World." 

"Malfoy?" asked McGonagall. "As in, the Death Eater, Malfoy?" 

"Isn't there just one Malfoy?" asked Alex sourly. "With all that money, he's definitely going scot-free. I've seen the Ministry do this all the time." 

"Oh, the French are better?" asked McGonagall. 

Alex felt his cheeks heating up. He had forgotten...oh well. McGonagall provided a good enough cover. "Yeah, not so much corruption. You Engl-sorry, the English Ministry has a lot to improve on. I mean, yeah, you've got females in leadership positions, but your thinking isn't very advanced at all. In France, no one cares if you're pureblood or not. Here, it seems the more pure your blood is, the more job opportunities you get." 

"Hmmm..." said McGonagall. "I certainly can't disagree with that. But I think Millicent Bagnold is doing a terrific job so far, no?" 

"Only because her term started with the defeat of Voldemort, I think," said Alex. "She's had an easy go at it. The last Minister, Minister Howard Randall was only terrible because he had a terrible time against Voldemort." At McGonagall's wince, he said, "You know, I don't know why everyone's so afraid of his name."

At her glare, he hastily continued. "And if it weren't for Crouch, I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to catch so many Death Eaters, either. Bagnold seems slow in picking up the pieces. Surely she would have installed some new legislature pertaining the trials by now, since we're no longer at war. But the war terms are still used." 

"Well, you certainly are informed," said McGonagall, thoroughly impressed. "You make quite a sound argument, but are you really sure-?" 

"Oh, yes," said Alex, then he brightened. "Oh, that reminds me! I'm sure Grattack could help me!" 

Taking off, he yelled, "I won't be back ‘til six!" 

Merlin shook his head and laughed. "Oh, to have the energy of the young..." 

McGonagall looked at the sleeping infant in her lap. "I don't know, Christopher, this one looks pretty tired to me." 

"He'll grow up," said Merlin, smiling. "And then he'll be an overflowing fount of energy."   

********

Alex sprinted down Diagon Alley, almost hitting several people. "Sorry!" 

Finally, he reached Gringotts'. Entering, he quickly approached the goblin behind the counter. "Hello, I'd like to see the goblin who previously helped me with my bank vault." 

"And who would that be?" grunted the goblin, clearly disgruntled with dealing with humans. 

"Master Grattack, I believe," said Alex. "Is he available?"

"Hmmm..." the goblin slowly looked down his schedule book. "Yes." Then he turned to the goblin standing next to the counter. "Greck, take this man to Grattack." 

"Yes, sir," said Greck. "Follow me." 

Alex found himself walking a very familiar hallway, and soon, was waiting - yet again - in front of Grattack's office. "Greetings, Master Grattack," Alex said in gobbledydook, as soon as the door closed, leaving just the two beings in the room. "May the stars shine brightly upon your gold tonight." 

Grattack's eyes widened in surprise, probably because he had never expected to see Alex again. "And upon yours, Mr. Potter. May peace enter your dwelling place." He paused. "Please, have a seat. How may I help you today?" 

"Well..." said Alex, fidgeting as he sat down. "I have a rather large favour to ask of you..." 

"Please, anything," urged Grattack. "And no, there are no strings attached." This had been a response to Alex's rather fish-like look. Grattack sighed, and stated, "You want an explanation." At Alex's nod, he continued, "Well, I saw the confidence with which you had decided to invest in those Muggle companies, and recently, they have started a steep uprise. I have already been promoted, and there is promise of more. As much as it pains to owe anything to a human, I feel I must repay this." 

"Ah," said Alex with a laugh.

 "Not to say you aren't delightful for a human, I mean," said Grattack hastily. "You are. It's just...you're not a goblin." 

"Don't worry," said Alex. "Humans are just as bigoted." He shrugged. "Which sort of relates to what I'm about to say to you..." 

"By all means," said Grattack, who was quite curious by now. "Go on."

"Well, I'm sure you'll be familiar with the Malfoy family, yes?" asked Alex. 

"Why, of course," said Grattack. "Abraxas Malfoy only died a month ago of dragon pox. Lucius Malfoy is the new head of the family now." 

"Yeah," said Alex. "So...I don't know how to phrase this, but you do know he's going on trial in two days?" 

"For what?" asked Grattack. Alex groaned, had goblins been this stuck in neverland the last time around? 

"For being a Death Eater," said Alex, and elaborated upon seeing Grattack's blank stare. "Follower of Voldemort, ring a bell?"

"And?" asked Grattack. 

"Anyways," said Alex. "I was wondering if you could freeze Malfoy's account until he lands in Azkaban." 

"Why would we do that?" asked Grattack. "We would lose profit! And a valuable customer!" 

"Okay, look, Grattack," said Alex seriously now, leaning forward as he spoke. "This is very important. If he gets away with this, Voldemort will have a wide opening when he comes back." 

"Isn't Voldemort dead?" asked Grattack. "That's why you have the Potter boy." As an afterthought, he added, "And I don't think You-Know-Who is a threat either. He's brought great business in." 

Alex felt like gnashing his teeth. The goblin had just played him! "Oh, trust me, he will be," Alex said grimly. "For one, he doesn't care about you. He'll rob you as soon as you're not looking." 

"And how is that different from other humans?" asked Grattack. "Humans try to rob us blind all the time." 

"No," said Alex. "He's not just going to rob you, he's going to kill you or sell your kind into slavery. Anyone not a so-called pureblooded human will suffer this fate. And so, Master Grattack," Alex paused, as he thought of how he could begin one of the most sacred Goblin oaths, "I ask only for the sake of our future generation this gift, and for the assurance of the continuation of my blood, that money may continuously flow between us." 

Grattack's eyes opened even wider than they had been when they had first met. And he had good reason: this oath was seldom invoked, since it showed the sincerity and the desperation of the vower; had the vower not been true to their word, they would have been killed. As well, if this oath succeeded on the part of the asker, then it required the respondent to agree, or else risk losing all their money. In this way, it was both a threat, and the promise of a life-debt from the vower to the respondent. Grattack took a breath, "In the name of all that is Good, I swear I will uplift this request, and consider it upon my entire being, that money may continuously flow between us, and to make us equal peers in this world."

It was Alex's turn to be shocked. Why had he added the last part

He could see the magic binding the two of them, and when it settled, Alex sagged into his chair. Grattack,  on the other hand, had already begun to freeze the Malfoys' account. "You want to know why I did that?" 

"Yeah," said Alex. "I didn't expect you to, and you definitely didn't have to." 

"I told you...money to Goblins is everything," said Grattack. "By ensuring that I will rise in power, I owed you a debt, and I've just paid it back - in full." 

"If you say so," said Alex doubtfully, then noticed the red writing on Lucius Malfoy's file. "Hey, what's that?" 

"Narcissa Malfoy has decided to apply for a divorce," said Grattack, shaking his head. "It's impossible. She'll end up...Never mind. Alex, in light of what you said, I've pushed for the freezing of all known Death Eater accounts. Of course...since we rarely do this, wizards don't know we still continue to take money." He winked slyly. "I was only testing you before. I didn't think you were going to be that serious. By the way, have you got any new investments for us?" 

"Well, Zonko's Joke Shop is opening up," said Alex thoughtfully. "You might want to try that. Though in about ten years, I think we'll want to stop investing there." 

"You say it like you know something's going to come up," said Grattack skeptically. 

"Of course," joked Alex. "I'm a Seer, don'tcha know." 

"And I'm a talking donkey," said Grattack. "Very well, Zonko's Joke Shop it is." 

"Oh," said Alex, then frowned. "Oh, man, I forgot what I was going to say!" 

"I'm almost afraid to hear it," said Grattack dryly. "Don't tell me you want to be Minister for Magic, please don't." 

Alex looked insulted. "Do I really look that stupid to you?" 

Grattack smiled. "Who knows?" 

"Ugh," groaned Alex. "You're almost as bad as...oh, I've got it!" 

"Is there any way for you to help Mrs. Malfoy with her divorce?" asked Alex. "Or for me?" 

"Well, there's certainly bribery," said Grattack doubtfully. "But I doubt the Head of her family will let her. The Malfoys wont object, since only Lucius is left, and if he's locked away...well, you get the picture." 

"Hmmm...Black family, right?" asked Alex. "As in Sirius Black?" 

"Let me check," said Grattack. "Yes, he's the only male in the Black family still alive." 

"Well, I'm sure he'll say yes," said Alex. "We just need to push it past the preliminary stages and then we're home free." 

"Home free?" asked Grattack, puzzled. 

"Sorry, Muggle expression," apologized Alex. "Just means...we'll be all right." 

"Ah," said Grattack. "I can certainly do that. May I ask why you have so much...interest in this family?" 

"That's for me to know, and you to find out," said Alex cheekily, then glanced down at his watch. 6:15. "Oh, I have to go, Master Grattack. Pleasure doing business with you, as always. May your gold be everlasting..." Then he added tentatively, "and our friendship ever-blooming." 

Grattack smiled. "And to you as well, Mr. Potter. Good day." 

********

"Alexandre!" Horace Slughorn greeted him exuberantly. "May I compliment you on your robes? They are positively exquisite. Where on earth did you get them?" 

Alex had chosen the deep blue robes for that night, and he was rapidly starting to regret his decision. "Oh, at Ribbons and Robes."

"I see," said Slughorn, who didn't look like he "saw" at all. "Come in, come in. Severus is already here." 

The inside of Slughorn's rooms were decorated with various pictures of students over the years. The rooms looked well-lived in, and it seemed fairly grandiose - not. Just like the man was, the rooms tried to pass on the feeling of grandness, and came up cheap instead. Still, the food at the table looked positively delightful. Then, Alex's heart plummeted. For there, in all his glory, as Severus Snape, glowering at him. Slughorn didn't even seem to notice. "Severus Snape, this is Alexandre Potter." 

Alex stuck out his hand. "Pleased to make your acquaintance." 

Snape took his hand tentatively. "And you, as well." 

They seated themselves at the table, and made small talk.  Of course, Slughorn started talking first. "So, Alex, tell me about your Masteries." 

"Well, I have two under my belt," said Alex. "But I hope to add a third." 

"Potions and Transfiguration," nodded Slughorn. "Heard it from Pomona myself. And your third?" 

"Well, I'm doing the various tests come Tuesday and Wednesday for my Defense Mastery," said Alex. "Severus - if I may call you that - you're the youngest Potions Master in recorded history, right?" 

"Very well...if I may call you Alex, then," answered Snape. "And yes, I am...though the accolade is significantly less than what you might think it would be." 

"People kick a fuss over me," said Alex ruefully. "But I think French people are just...exubérant." 

"Oh, yes, Alex," urged Slughorn. "Tell us of your exploits in France!" He turned to Snape. "Mr. Potter here is one of the sub-heads in the DMLE over in Marseilles." 

Snape nodded, though he looked bored, truthfully. Alex wanted to laugh. Slughorn had certainly done his research. "Well, I'm in charge of taking care of Death Eaters who flee to France. We recently caught Fenrir Greyback." 

Snape's eyes widened. "Greyback? How did you manage to capture him?" 

"Oh," said Alex. "We used tranquilizer guns." 

"Tranquilizer guns?" asked Slughorn. 

"They're a Muggle thing," said Alex (who, by the way, was making everything up). "Guns are much faster than spells, and they've become very silent. The tranqs basically put him to sleep. It took about six of those shots to get him to sleep though." 

"Guns?" asked Slughorn skeptically. "Muggles surely can't have developed that." 

Snape interjected, "I've seen these guns that Mr. Potter is talking about. No wizard can stand against one in the arms of a capable Muggle." 

"Truly?" asked Slughorn. "How...miraculous!" 

Alex nodded. "Severus is right. Less than five rounds could probably knock out my shield...which is why I always wear a bulletproof vest under my robes." 

"So...Alex," said Snape. "I take it you are the Defense teacher?" 

"Yeah," answered Alex. "I just got the job a couple days ago. I'm only teaching the upper grades though. Kevin Ryan will continue to teach the younger ones. And you'll be assisting Horace?" 

"Yes," said Snape, then added stiffly, "Thank you for the recommendation." 

Alex laughed it off. "Don't worry about it. I know if I hadn't already been so famous for being a prodigy in France, I wouldn't have gotten my job. So take it as help from an equally gifted friend." 

Snape relaxed. "Then, a toast to our new jobs?" 

"An excellent idea," said Slughorn. "To our new professors!" 

From there, the night progressed excellently. By the end of it, Alex and Snape decided to leave Slughorn's quarters together, and it was there that Alex decided to confront Snape. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Certainly, Alex," said Snape. 

"Here, let's go into my office," said Alex, and soon they stepped in. Warding it against intruders, he turned to Snape. "I have to ask you...what side are you on?"

Snape stiffened, and seemed to motion towards his wand. "What are you insinuating?" 

"No, I don't mean any harm," said Alex. "I worked undercover, myself. I know how it feels. So tell me, are you...?" 

Snape nodded stiffly. "The Aurors...they're hunting me now. I know Lestrange will have given me away." He looked away. "For my sins, I should rot in Azkaban, but I know Dumbledore will come to my rescue. My only redemption...is the Potter child." 

"Harry Potter?" Alex asked. He hadn't known this. 

"Yes," said Snape. "I will protect him with my life...since it is my fault that his parents are dead, and it is an appropriate burden." 

"You know Voldemort killed them, right?" asked Alex, not sure he had heard correctly. No wonder the man kept saving him time after time. "You didn't have anything to do with it." 

"I-I...told the Dark Lord something...that the Potters had something in their possession that Dark Lord wanted," said Snape. For a normally stoic man, he seemed abnormally emotional at the moment. 

"Regardless," said Alex. "You turned to spying, didn't you?" 

"H-How did you know?" asked Snape hoarsely. "Did Dumbledore tell you?" 

"Yes...and no," said Alex. "I know the Prophecy. And I know that you loved Lily Potter. It was a simple matter of putting together the pieces."

 Snape nodded. "When they catch me...all they'll see is my Dark Mark, my shame..." 

Alex took in a sharp breath. "I might have a solution for that, actually. That's why I wanted to talk to you." When he saw Snape was looking at him intently, he continued, "I studied the Dark Marks of Voldemort's followers back in France. It's a soul link, essentially." 

Snape recoiled in horror. "My soul...is attached to his?" 

"Unfortunately, yes," said Alex. "But I know a way to sever it without killing you. You see...in the last war, Grindelwald had dabbled in a bit of this, but not to Voldemort's extent. He left behind notes...which I'm sure Voldemort took. From those, I have discovered the counter to forced soul links." 

Snape's eyes gleamed. "A potion?" 

"Mhm," said Alex. "But the ingredients are incredibly rare. Peppercorn Black in its earliest developing stages, fresh phoenix tears, fully developed Angelica roots, blood of the victim, and wild magic." 

"The Peppercorn and Angelica roots I can obtain," said Snape. "And I can provide the blood as well." Alex wanted to roll his eyes, but he didn't. He definitely didn't want to look juvenile in front of Snape. "The phoenix tears will be difficult, and wild magic is...impossible." 

"Not exactly," said Alex. "I...I can call wild magic. And Dumbledore's phoenix can provide them, I think, if I ask nicely." 

"Perhaps," nodded Snape. "I can procure them now, if you like. I coincidentally was using those very same items earlier." 

"Really?" asked Alex. "With what?" 

"For a client," said Snape. "To keep her purity intact...and from being attacked." 

"I see," said Alex. "Well, why don't you use my Floo and come right back?" 

Snape quickly assented, and soon, Alex was left in an empty room. "I really need to get a Potions Lab." 

Merlin chuckled. "Dumbledore came by today and added one for you." 

"Did he really?" asked Alex. "I didn't even ask for one!" 

"You know Dumbledore," said Merlin. "Too proud to say he's mistaken, but he tries to allay that by giving presents." 

Alex laughed. "Yep, that's him all right. Hey, you think Dumbledore'll notice if I call his phoenix?"

 

"No," said Merlin. "He's in the staff room currently, using your Veritaserum on the suspected students. A very good dosage, if I do say so myself." 

"Thanks," said Alex. "So, how many has he caught?" 

"Most of them he's asked," said Merlin grimly. "He's quite upset." 

"Anyone would be, I think," said Alex. "Fawkes!"

 To his surprise, the phoenix came immediately. "Hello, Fawkes, do you know me?" 

"You're that idiot boy who crushed the other world out of existence," said Fawkes with a huff. "You could've given me a little warning." 

"Our timeline...doesn't exist?" asked Alex incredulously. "Never mind. We'll discuss this later. Fawkes, I have a really big favour to ask of you." 

"What." 

"Could I have some of your tears?" asked Alex tentatively. "It's to get rid of Snape's Dark Mark and Harry's scar." 

"Oh, so you just want me to cry on demand now, is it?" stormed the phoenix. "Any other time you don't think I'm important enough, do you?" 

"Of course you're important, Fawkes," said Alex, trying to calm the fiery bird down. 

Fawkes huffed. "Fine, go get a vial.

Alex took some out of his robes, and gave them to Fawkes, and the bird, upon grasping them, began to sing. Alex almost lost himself in the song, the music conveying such loss and heart-rend, and the bitterness yet hopefulness the phoenix projected. His heart swelled with the music, and every being within the 1000 km radius could hear it. Those who did wondered what had caused a phoenix to sing, and upstairs, Dumbledore found his heart and soul uplifted once more. Down below, however, Alex became so engrossed in the music, he didn't even notice his own tears trickling down his face, and was overwhelmingly disoriented when the phoenix stopped. "Thank you, Fawkes." 

Without a word, the phoenix flew out the window, and Alex waved a silent goodbye. 

"In the name of all that is good and holy..." stuttered Snape. "I assume he gave them to you?" 

"Yes, he did," said Alex. "We can begin brewing now. Christoph," he addressed Merlin. "Could you get a quarter of a vial of blood from Matt?" 

"Certainly," said Merlin. Within minutes, he was back, and by then, most of Snape's potion had already begun looking right. Alex exclaimed, "Severus, you're amazing!" 

"Not at all, Alex," said Snape. 

"Don't be so modest," said Alex. "Flaunt a little bit. No wonder no one fawns over you." 

Snape made an unintelligible sound. At that moment, the cauldron began to bubble. Alex exclaimed, "Put your blood in now!" 

Snape quickly reached for the vial, and poured it in, and Alex began to infuse his wild magic into the potion. Without the infusion of the pure magic, the potion would only ward against evil. They waited, and waited, and waited. The bubbling seemed to last for an eternity. When it finally calmed down, Alex stopped the flow of the magic. 

Snape looked at him like he was an alien. "You did wild magic wandlessly!" 

"That's the only way you can do it," said Alex. "Now, drink." 

Snape quickly downed the first vial, then the second, and then the third. "I-I can feel it!" He shoved his sleeve up his arm, and gazed in fascination at the rapidly diminishing mark. In less than an hour, his arm was as unblemished as it had been before he had turned sixteen. "You...you did it!" He blushed. "You have my deepest thanks, Alexandre Potter." 

"Don't worry," said Alex. "I know a good man when I see one." 

Snape looked away. "I'm not that man...I must confess, though, that when I was first informed of your name, I was prepared to hate you. I had an unfortunate run-in with a certain James Potter-" 

"My cousin," supplied Alex. 

Snape nodded. "But it seems I was gravely mistaken." 

"Don't worry about it, Severus," said Alex. "You know, with my affinity to wild magic, I can tell the intents of people. I knew I could trust you." He looked at Merlin, and conveyed his thoughts. Can I tell him about little Matt? 

Merlin nodded inconspicuously. Alex turned to Snape. "I, umm...recently gained custody of Harry Potter." 

Snape looked at him. "Really?" 

"Yes," said Alex. "But for his safety, we have changed his features and his name...Would you like to see him?" 

"Could I?" asked Severus. 

"Of course," said Alex. "Though I think he's asleep right now. We'll just have to be quiet."

 The two men walked into the nursery, where the child slept. "Severus...I've renamed him Matthieu Henri Potter."

"A fitting name," said Snape. "Better than Harry James Potter." 

Alex laughed softly. "The features aren't permanent. My mentor, the old man with us outside, helped us manipulate his Metamorphagus abilities." 

"Does he have Lily's eyes still?" asked Snape hoarsely. 

"Yes," said Alex. "But you can see...he has my features. I hope you don't mind." 

"The last time I saw the boy...I couldn't bear to look at him," confessed Snape. "I could only see his father's face, and little else. This...is better. Thank you, Alex." 

"You're welcome, Severus," said Alex. "Feel free to come by and visit." 

The two men walked out together. "Say, Severus, when are you moving in?" 

"The Headmaster has yet to show me my arrangements," admitted Snape. "But likely in the next week." 

"Well, tell me if you need help decorating," said Alex. "Anyways, have a good night!" 

Snape was gone with a whoosh through the Floo. As soon as he was gone, Alex bounded into the lab. "Merlin, are you almost ready?" 

Merlin nodded. "We only have to wait for it to bubble...ah, here we go." 

He poured the blood in, and Alex infused the potion with wild magic again. As soon as it was done, they rushed over to the boy, and made the child drink the entire vial. Matt was surprisingly obedient, and soon, all traces of Dark Magic were gone from his system. Alex cheered. Only the Gaunt Ring left! 

Merlin was looking at him oddly. "If you couldn't control wild magic until the last battle, who got rid of the scar for you?" 

"To be truthful," said Alex. "I don't really know. I just know...I met this old man and he just felt...right. He went through all the steps with me, and we brewed it. And...he was the one who taught me wild magic existed." Alex shrugged. "Hogwarts was willing to lend me some at first, which is what I used in the Battle, but now I can pull it from anywhere." 

"Hmmm..." said Merlin, stroking his stubble of a beard. "Are you sure you don't know his name?" 

"Positive," said Alex. "But he wasn't white. He was Asian." 

Merlin muttered darkly. "All right then, we better get some sleep. Tomorrow you have to help Ryan with his seventh years." 

"God forbid I should deal with hormonal teenagers already," said Alex. 

"You know, you are one," reminded Merlin. "Now get to bed. I'll make sure Matt'll be all right." 

"All right, then," said Alex. "Good night." 

********

Snape took a look at his arm again. Having disbelieved that it was truly gone, he had rubbed the skin pink and raw. But finally, when he could see no trace of the former Mark, he had sat down and pondered over that night's events.

 He didn't trust strangers, as a rule. Especially not ones named Potter...but then, this man had taken in Lily's son, and he seemed to be doing a good enough job at it. There was something nagging at him in the background though; throughout the course of the meal, Potter had acted like he had known him well. Snape prided himself on being a very private person, and rarely opened up to people. Those he did so with were well trusted friends, and Potter was not one of those. Yet...despite his own dark reputation, and Potter's own job with the French Department of Law Enforcement, Potter had gone out of his way to help him. And the fact that he had shown him the Potter child...that was even stranger. Why him, of all people? Did he know of the life debt he owed both the Potters? 

He leaned back in his chair, carefully pondering the night, when he heard the Floo connection open. "Hello, Severus?" 

Snape almost groaned. It was Potter. "Coming, Alex." 

"Severus...I've heard news the Aurors have caught on to your whereabouts," said a pale Alex Potter. 

Severus smirked. "They won't be able to find me. This place is well guarded." 

"I don't know about that," said Alex. "Wait, I'm coming through." Without waiting for Snape to step back, Alex barreled through the Floo. "Whoops, sorry about that."

 

"What do you want?" asked Snape, who was quite a bit annoyed at the moment.

"Here," Alex thrusted a vial into his hands. "This will negate the effects of the Ministry Veritaserum. Take it if you need it...though without that Mark, I think you should be fine. Or, better yet, just come to Hogwarts with me. You can stay in my quarters...Christoph is leaving in a week anyways." 

"If they come, they will come," said Snape calmly. "But thank you for your offer....and the vial. I'm certain it'll be quite useful." Tucking it into his deep pockets in his robes, he asked, "But, Mr. Potter, I must ask, why are you being so...convivial towards me?" 

"I'm always this friendly," dismissed Alex. "Besides, I can see you can be an excellent friend. Like I said, wild magic's a pretty good indicator of what you're really like. And honestly, that's all I want - to be your friend. Plus, you're closer in age to me...and well, you know what it's like to be stuck at Hogwarts with old, barmy people." He shrugged. "So...we friends?" 

Snape looked at the hand proffered critically. Did he want this? It seemed to go against every fibre in his body, but somehow, at the same time, there was something telling him that this arrangement might be beneficial in the overall scheme of things.

Finally, Snape nodded, and shook the hand. "Friends."

 

Chapter End Notes:
Hello, Hello!

I hope you enjoyed that! I was actually planning for a whole lot of action, but Snape decided to monopolize this chapter. Actually, that scary lady did too…=)

As a reminder, I’d just like to say that my progress report is placed on my profile at ff.net. I do update it every time I’m done 1000 words, so it should give you a good estimation of when I’ll be done. That being said, the next one should be out either next week, or the week after.

I’ve decided to open a poll for who Alex should be paired with. Remember, it has to be female, and she must be at the very most, five years older, or at the very least, five years younger. So far, here’s what we have:

Narcissa Black: 1

I’m not really keen on writing this pairing (just because I see a lot of Harry-grows-up-with Draco), but I’m not adverse to it either. I just might end up pairing her up with Snape (:

Okay, so review, and tell me what you think…and vote! Remember, you can only vote once.

See you later!
~shige

P.S. Next chapter…Political Upheaval.