Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Kind of a bombshell dropped in this chapter about a certain Founder with a certain mysterious woman. Enjoy. :)
Slytherin's Secret

Harry sighed heavily as he sat at the island in Snape's kitchen. He was picking at his breakfast, which was good but Harry just wasn't hungry so the food remained untouched. He could feel Snape glaring at him through the Daily Prophet as the man sat across from him reading. He was waiting for Snape to say something about it, but the man only kept reading. He then sighed again.

"Potter, if you sigh one more goddamn time, I'm going smack you with this paper," Snape growled from behind the propped up paper.

"Awe, isn't that sweet? My boys are getting along. Good morning, Harry."

"Morning, Professor Sinistra," Harry instantly replied before glancing towards his Astronomy professor. She was wearing silver robes with green trimming. She had tied the majority of her long dark frizzy hair back except for the strands accentuating her face. He had to admit that she looked stunning.

"How'd you sleep?"

"All right, Professor, and you?" he asked before taking a sip of his pumpkin juice. He immediately heard the soft snort behind the paper, which made him glance towards Snape.

"Pay no attention to him, Harry. He's just jealous."

"Of you and Potter, oh yes, Sinistra, that must be it," Snape drawled before lowering the paper. "After all, looking at you both now, you two would make an adorable couple."

"Excuse me? Did Severus Snape, git of the dungeons, just say the word 'adorable'? Oh my, I must be hearing things now," she mocked before laughing. "So, no voices then last night?" she asked a few seconds later.

"Um…yeah, I actually saw her last night."

"Her…? So it's not a snake then, well, all right then, who is she?"

"It appears as if Mr. Potter met his first vampire."

"Vampire…? In Hogwarts…?" she exclaimed. She then shook her head in disbelief. "I take it you've strengthened the wards, Severus?"

"Of course," he replied. He opened his mouth to continue when a man in a portrait interrupted.

"Severus, Albus wishes your presence in his office this morning," Salazar Slytherin announced. His eyes then noticed the young man across from the Head of Slytherin. "And what is this Gryffindor doing here in your quarters nonetheless?"

"I am in charge of him at the moment, Salazar," Snape calmly replied. "You may tell Albus I will be there shortly."

"Of course," Salazar responded. He, however, didn't leave right away.

"So do we know her name?" Professor Sinistra asked ignoring the Founder's presence.

"Um…yeah, she said it was Syrene." Salazar instantly gasped, which only Snape noticed, while Professor Sinistra's eyes narrowed on Harry. "Professor, is something wrong?"

"No, it's just…I…I feel like I know that name." She then shook her head softly. "Huh, maybe it'll hit me later how I know it. Did she say anything else by chance?"

"Something about her granddaughter being worried about me," Harry answered quietly.

"Well, maybe the granddaughter's the way to go then. Have either of you checked the tapestries in the library? It might have something about this woman in there," Professor Sinistra said.

"I doubt that," Salazar muttered in his portrait.

"Oh and why do you doubt that, Salazar?" drawled Snape as he folded his arms across his chest.

"Living true to your nickname I see," the Founder grumbled.

"Indeed, what do you know about her?"

"I'm afraid that I can't reveal anything, Severus," the Founder quietly replied.

"Why can't you?"

"Because it was my biggest mistake and I do not wish anyone to know of it."

"Speak, Salazar, or you will find yourself in Myrtle's lavatory again," Snape growled.

"Okay, okay, well, she's—was my mistress."

"Your mistress…?"

"Yes, and don't look at me like that. You may believe that we Founders had no faults, but it is incorrect. My affair with her is partly the reason why Gryffindor and I did not get along. He warned me, but I did not pay attention. She was intriguing and appeared to be the perfect specimen of a pureblooded witch. Little did I know she was only perfect because she was vampire," he grumbled. "If my wife had ever learned of the truth, well, I'd be deader than I am now."

"So then you know who her granddaughter is because it is probably your granddaughter also?"

"Of course I do, but if she hasn't realized that she's my granddaughter yet, who am I to tell her?"

"Is she at Hogwarts?"

"Yes," Salazar replied sardonically.

"Is she a student or professor?"

"Oh, dear Merlin, are you honestly going to ask me these ridiculous questions, Aurora?" Salazar growled as he glared at her. "Yes, she is here at Hogwarts. She has been since the Sorting Hat sorted her into Slytherin in 1972. She is a professor. And quite honestly, she seems to be acting beyond all stupidity right now as she talks to me, which makes me wish she wasn't my granddaughter!"

"WHAT?" Harry, Snape, and Professor Sinistra yelled.

"I can't—you can't be," she whispered.

"Oh, is that right?" Salazar mocked. "Your mother's name is Syra. Well, how did I do?" Aurora opened her mouth to ask something, but he cut her off. "Must I paint this bloody picture?"

"No, it's just…um…the Gaunts are related to you, not me."

"Yes, well, can't be going around bragging that there's a direct descendent of Salazar Slytherin walking around that isn't inbred," he growled. "What'd you think that amulet around your neck meant?"

"We all heard about your locket, though, not an amulet."

"Your grandmother gave me the amulet. She said it protected her, which considering what I saw proved it worked. After your mother was born, she infused my magic into it so that we would protect the line from ones who wished us ill. I couldn't recognize Syra as my daughter so I ensured that the line didn't trace back to me through the timeline, and it worked. No one ever learned of the secret line of Slytherin. They learned of Syrene being a vampire, yes, but the idiots never saw reason to check the bloodline to trace it to me. You, Aurora Sinistra, are my granddaughter." Deadly silence echoed.