Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Not really sure where I came up with thirty-five being the magic number, but enjoy. :)
Lucky Number Thirty-Five

"Aren't you missing a couple of greats there?" asked Harry. "I mean, didn't you live like over a thousand or so years ago? That would mean Professor Sinistra is at least—"

"That's quite enough, Mr. Potter," Snape interrupted before glancing towards Sinistra.

"Don't look at me like that. I was born in 1961. I know I was."

"Well, then how is it possible for her to be the granddaughter of a Founder?"

"Syrene was a vampire," Salazar responded. "Let us not forget that quaint fact."

"But that would mean that…oh…"

"Oh, what?" asked Snape.

"You're stating that my mother is probably like Syrene then, which would then make me—Oh GOD NO! I can't be a vampire! I mean, I've been around blood before and I don't have this insatiable quench to drink it. Hell, I don't even try to bite him when we're—"

"Sinistra!" yelled Snape before giving a pointed look at the ghostly Gryffindor.

"Oh, yeah, um…sorry, but I can't be a vampire. You know, I've even been known on occasion to go outside in the sun."

"It's because you're not thirty-five yet," Salazar answered rather annoyed.

"No I'm not thirty-five yet. I'm thirty. What does that have to do with anything?"

"The protection your grandmother and I placed on your mother made it so that when she turned thirty-five, the desire would awaken. It seems it carried over to you."

"But that means I've only got five years before I—"

"Get your fangs, yes," Salazar replied. "As I said before, I could not allow anyone to know back then that I had consorted with a vampire so Syrene and I decided to protect the line."

"How…?"

"Yes, well, as you know, Severus, potions work wonders. With Syrene being immortal, she could continuously dose Syra until the right time, which in this case was when the spell I casted on the quill in the Quill Room ended."

"But she'd still age."

"Not with the protections we placed on her," Salazar proudly announced. "After all, Syrene is a bright witch in her own right. In fact, your grandmother knew Merlin and spoke very highly of him. He taught her a couple of spells actually. One of which we used to make sure that Syra didn't age."

"Does my mother know?"

"That she is my daughter? Or that her mother is a vampire?" he asked politely.

"Both," she replied.

"She knows she's my daughter and of Syrene. I believe Syra meant to inform you before your thirty-fifth birthday. After all, you'll get sick as your body acclimates to the changes."

"So you both kept dosing her with a potion so no one ever knew? You didn't even claim her?"

"I claimed her when she was in Slytherin. She knew then, and we had frequent conversations while she attended school here."

"Wait a moment. So if Syrene is a vampire from like ages ago, then why is she speaking only to me now? I mean, couldn't she just appear out of air and tell us all what's going on?"

"Syrene was always an observer. It is the nature of vampires. Something I learned while being with her. They learn quickly what motivates a person and then extort it to get their way."

"Oh," Harry replied. "But why is she talking to me, though? I'm not that interesting."

"Innocence, Mr. Potter," Snape responded. "Vampires feed on innocence."

"I thought it was blood, sir." Harry instantly glanced at the floor when he heard Snape's loud groan of annoyance. "I'm sorry, sir."

"It is blood, Potter, but innocence is a way they can prey on people in order to get the blood."

"Oh, I see, sir. Thank you. So then she probably knows who poisoned me?"

"Most likely, however, I also have my suspicions, which she says are correct."

"Oh, so who was it then, sir?"

"Never mind, Potter," Snape growled before glancing towards Sinistra. "I need to speak with Quirrell. Watch him." He then glanced at Harry and leveled a warning glare before leaving.