Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I sincerely hope you're still enjoying. :)
Confusing Times

A few hours later, Harry sat on a cot taking brief glances at Snape. He couldn't understand how he had known any of the safeguards the teachers had placed on the room. When he watched the headmaster somberly walk in, Harry gulped. He could only imagine how much trouble he'd be in now.

"I'm sorry, Professor," Harry quickly said.

"Nothing to apologize for, my dear boy," the headmaster replied while he stared at Snape. His blue eyes wandered over the black clad wizard before sighing. "How is he?"

"I don't know, sir. Madam Pomfrey won't tell me anything, but she's been talking to Professor Sinistra for nearly an hour."

"I see," the headmaster responded. He then glanced at Harry. "You must forgive me, Harry, but I must admit that I am a bit confused."

"So am I, sir," Harry answered quietly. "I honestly don't know how I knew what to do when I was down there. It just came to me."

"Instinctual magic…ah, it is rather rare to see, but it worked in this case. Did anything else odd happen while down there?"

"Well, I don't know how to describe it, but…I think…well…I think I saw him."

"Forgive me, but I do not understand, Harry."

"The one who gave me the scar," Harry whispered back.

"Ah, I see, and what was it you saw?"

"Well, it was Professor Binns, but that's not right, though. I don't know how to describe it, sir, but I know that it should have been Professor Quirrell down there, not Professor Binns." Harry then sighed heavily. "It was like I had done everything down there. I mean, I even know what he was looking for down there. He wanted the stone, which only a person who'd use the stone for good reasons could get out of that shiny mirror that shows you everything that you want. I don't know how I know it, though." He then closed his eyes. "But that wasn't the only difference, though. He said that Snape was my dad, but…that…that can't be. Can it, Professor?"

"Have you spoken with Madam Pomfrey about this?"

"Yeah, and she's doing some sort of test to see if it's true or not. I thought I was James's son."

"I admit that is my understanding also, Harry."

"What if I am Snape's though? Does that mean he didn't want me?"

"No, Harry. Severus would never disown a child of his willingly. If you are his son, then there is a reason why we did not know it. Did you meet anyone else down there?"

"Yeah, Syrene was down there again. Wait a minute. She might know why. We could ask her."

"Unfortunately, she only visits you, Harry."

"I'll ask her then what's going on when I see her because this is all wrong, sir."

"I agree, my boy." Dumbledore then drew in a deep breath. "I shall see what Madam Pomfrey is telling Aurora. Will you be all right if I left you alone?" Harry nodded fiercely. "I shall see you soon." He walked away quietly, leaving Harry along again.

"This isn't right. Snape wasn't supposed to be there, and it wasn't supposed to be Binns. Someone changed something, but why would anyone do that?" the young boy asked aloud.

"To prevent a slaughter," a familiar voice replied.

"Syrene," Harry said as he glanced towards the young witch. "Did you know about this?"

"That the timeline has been changed? Oh, yes, Harry. I know about this."

"Because you changed it?" he asked.

"It wasn't me, Harry." She then glanced towards Snape. "He absolutely loved you, but he couldn't bear to have you harmed."

"Snape did this?" Harry squawked indignantly.

"Oh, yes, Severus did this so you'd have a fighting chance. You see, Harry, in the actual timeline, you'd only experience darker events with each progressing year. Now, with this new line, you already know the darker events and can prevent them. However, it seems as if Riddle has learned of this, though. Perhaps it is time to throw him worm so that he may catch himself on the hook. Do not concern yourself over the differences. Embrace them. They are your true instincts. I shall see you soon, Harry."