Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy. :)
Upping the Ante

A few days later, Harry slowly walked to Gryffindor Tower. Snape hadn't necessarily kicked Harry out of his rooms, but he also didn't make him feel welcome either, though. Harry knew the paternity results were in. The results, in fact, had been in since Harry woke up in the Infirmary. However, the young Gryffindor didn't have it in him to learn the truth. He knew in his heart that he was the son of James and Lily Potter. He'd believe that no matter what the results said.

It wasn't as if Harry felt disgusted if Snape was his father, but he knew that wasn't true. He couldn't begin to explain how he knew it, but he did. Harry would most definitely be happy to know that he did have one living parent. However, in Harry's mind, though, he felt as if he was living a lie believing that or at the very least felt as if he was betraying his parents.

"Hey, Harry," Ron quietly said as soon as Harry walked in. "You all right?"

"No," Harry muttered before joining his best friend on the couch. "It's all different, Ron. I mean, I know it is, but I'm the only one. It should have been Quirrell down there, not Binns." Harry then growled quietly. "It doesn't make sense. She said Snape changed the past, but he claims he'd never do that no matter what. Then you add the stupid fact that he's supposedly my father…"

"What'd Pomfrey say?"

"I don't know. I can't seem to make it over there to find out." Harry glanced at Ron a few seconds later. "I mean, what happens if it is true? Then what happens? It's not like Snape's going to throw his arms around me and act all sappy with me."

"Well, no, but at least you'd know, though."

"Yeah, and I'd probably be even more miserable," Harry mumbled under his breath.

"Probably, but least you'd know you get that from the Snape side," Ron joked.

"Oh, shut up, Ron," Harry growled slightly. "He'd probably ground my ass if I did anything."

"Yeah, he does seem like he'd be one of those hell-copter parents."

Harry couldn't help it. He snorted and laughed at Ron's 'hell-copter' comment. It was rather funny to hear his friend try to use Muggle words. He always misused the words in hilarious ways.

"How about you and I go to the Infirmary and find out if it's true? If it is, then you and I can see if Fred and George will get us some butterbeer from Hogsmeade. They say it's rather good if you ever need to unwind. After all, learning that would cause anyone to drink."

"Nah, that's all right, Ron," replied Harry before he sighed. "I just want to sit here."

"Hey, you do know that we're still here for you, right? Hermione and I will always be here for you. You don't need to go through this alone."

"I know." Harry then glanced at Ron. "Don't get mad or anything, but I'd like to be alone."

"So you can brood in silence?" Ron asked.

"Nah, I just have some thinking to do, and I know I'd be in a terrible mood afterwards."

"See…yet another Snape trait," Ron joked before nodding. "Sure, mate, take the time you need. If you need anything, you know where to find me." Ron then slowly got up off the couch before silently heading upstairs towards the boys' dormitory.

Harry immediately stared at the flickering flames. He desperately wished to head to the Infirmary to find out the truth, but he knew he couldn't. Learning the truth would necessarily change anything. In all actuality, Snape probably wouldn't even try to care for Harry. They weren't enemies anymore, but it wasn't as if they were best friends or anything either. If he were honest, he'd tell himself that they were just starting to become accustomed to one another.

Not long after Ron leaving, Harry fell asleep on the couch. He quickly slipped into a dream that lately he knew from experience always turned into a nightmare. As he woke in the dream world again, he sighed when he recognized the Potions classroom. Dozens of his classmates sat in their seats working feverishly on their potions. However, Harry, on the other hand, was staring down at the blank Potions textbook. He flipped through the book and found it to be entirely blank.

"What are you doing?" Snape hissed as he appeared directly behind Harry in the dream. "We don't have time for this. There is no time in war. You know this." He then shook his head angrily as he glared. "You are the one, the one to defeat the Dark Lord, and you're just sitting here wasting time." Dream Snape then grabbed Harry's shoulders before roughly shaking him. "Wake up! Do not waste this chance. Do not let our sacrifice end in vain. You are the one! Please, Harry. End this before others die. End this, my son, so we may be together as it should be."

Seconds later, Harry woke up gasping for air. The dream had always been the same. Snape always ended it with calling Harry his son. It was maddening for Harry because he couldn't. He couldn't believe it to be true. In his heart, he knew he was James Potter's son. However, there in the dream, he was Snape's, and he could feel the man's anguish and heartache as he addressed Harry. Wiping the traitorous tears that had fallen from his eyes, he drew in a deep breath.

Harry didn't know if the dream was Syrene playing more mind tricks on him or not, but he knew Ron was right. Harry needed to find out if he was Snape's son. If Snape truly changed the past, there had to have been a reason, and Harry was sure it wasn't because he wanted a son. The words 'as it should be' echoed around Harry's mind. Who honestly could say that Harry should be Snape's son?

Would things change if I found out the truth? Would my Snape hate me more or would it stay the same? Dozens of questions flooded Harry's mind. He knew that Snape had loved his mother. Professor Sinistra had told him that one of the days Harry was down in Snape's rooms. Do I want to be Snape's son? How would the Gryffindors react to me being the son of the head of Slytherin House? Would they even consider me a Gryffindor anymore? He had already experienced some Gryffindors who were rather upset that he'd been in Snape's rooms for so long while recovering from being poisoned. Why do I look like James Potter if I am Snape's son? Did my mother charm me when I was a baby to hide the lineage? Why would she do that, though? Harry's eyes then narrowed. He remembered how Syrene informed him that this future Snape changed the timeline to help Harry later in the fight against the evil dark lord. However, why would that Snape change my lineage, though? What possible good could come out of it? Was there a protection in Snape's blood that would transfer to me? The young Gryffindor then sighed. There were too many questions in his mind. He couldn't think clearly. He knew that he would go stir crazy not learning if Snape was his true father in this universe. Harry then flashbacked to the day when he learned Snape protected him. "It does no good for him to know the truth," whispered Snape's voice from that day. It does me no good not to know, either, Snape, Harry thought.