Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Astronomical Whispers

"Harry, get a move on or we're going to be late," Hermione shouted upstairs.

Harry instantly groaned as he rolled over in bed. His entire body ached. His head was actually the worst that hurt. Every move felt like someone was stabbing him ten times over. He groaned again before slowly, as a turtle, getting out of bed. While limping towards his trunk to grab his Astronomy book, he noticed the small splatter marks of blood on his jeans. However, he shrugged it off and quietly limped with book in hand towards the door to leave the dorms. They had to get to Astronomy class before Professor Sinistra threw another of her royal fits, and he really wasn't in the mood for that tonight.

"Oh, Harry, I'm—" Hermione started to say full of remorse at her words earlier.

"I'm fine, Hermione. Let's just get up there," Harry harshly snapped as he limped past his two best friends in the Common Room, a few seconds later. He knew he looked like hell. He didn't need them saying it repeatedly. He then sighed heavily.

About ten minutes later, the Golden Trio was walking up the spiral cast iron staircase in the Astronomy Tower. Harry walked into the classroom first, and his eyes immediately narrowed on the rows of empty desks. He could have sworn they had Astronomy tonight. After all, why else would Hermione drag him up here? He then turned around. Hermione and Ron were nowhere in sight.

"But I saw them. I know I did," Harry said aloud.

"First the snakes and now visions," a familiar voice softly said from his right, "my, my, young Mr. Potter, you are trying to be extraordinary, aren't you?"

Harry quickly glanced towards his right and sighed. It was only Professor Sinistra. She was staring up at the night sky. She had wrapped tightly around herself her long emerald cloak since there was a slight breeze. His eyes narrowed at the small seal embroidered into the velvet above her left breast. He had seen that symbol somewhere, but he couldn't remember where.

"Why are you here, Mr. Potter?"

"I thought we had Astronomy tonight," Harry replied quietly.

"Ah, yes, well, normally you would be correct. However, I cancelled class this evening. Unfortunately, something came up that was extremely urgent and needed my attention."

"Oh," Harry replied before he slowly turned around. "I guess I'll be leaving then."

"There's no need, Potter. We were all here waiting for you anyway," a slow silky voice said from the shadows of the room.

"Professor Snape," Harry said uneasily.

"The one and only, Potter," Snape replied rather annoyed. "I'm surprised a dunderhead such as you can tell who I am." He then stepped out of the shadows and into the moonlight. Filth covered every inch of his black robes. He had a deep jagged cut that ran from his eyebrow to the corner of his lip and had various cuts and bruises all over his face. He also walked with a noticeable limp, which Harry guessed was because of the seven-inch gash to Snape's leg.

"Is it done?" Professor Sinistra asked quietly.

"Of course, it is. I am not known to leave a job unfinished." Snape then glanced towards Harry. "What is Potter doing here, Sinistra?"

"He didn't get the message that I cancelled class tonight."

"If that was the only thing he missed, we should consider ourselves lucky then."

Unable to hold his tongue, Harry snapped, "If you're talking about you and Professor Sinistra, I already know." Neither professor made an inclination that they heard him so he moved closer to Snape. "Personally, I think she's dating beneath her. Don't you agree?"

"Why you little—" Snape growled before lunging towards Harry.

Within moments afterwards, Professor Sinistra threw her right hand up and made a cupping motion towards Snape. Harry watched in awe as Snape stopped in mid-air. The Potions Professor was so close to Harry that the Gryffindor could feel his breath.

"Congratulations, Harry. You've succeeded in pissing Severus off. Now, perhaps it is time you returned to your Common Room before Hagrid or someone finds your mutilated corpse in the Forbidden Forest. Do you understand?"

Harry slowly nodded in response and turned around to walk back out of the Astronomy Tower. He had never seen her like this before. He had to admit that Professor Sinistra was scarier than Snape if that was even possible.

"One last thing, Harry," Professor Sinistra's gentle voice said. She waited until Harry turned back to her before speaking again. Once she caught his green eyes, she softly smirked. "You are mistaken. Severus and I are of equal strength when it comes to magic and intelligence. To insinuate anything different is the equivalent of insulting your parents. After all, James and Lily were of equal strength also." She instantly caught the young Gryffindor's sudden intake of breath. "You would also do well to understand the necessary risk we both take in order to keep your measly self alive, Harry. That is…unless you foolishly believe that Severus and I love to return here in a bloody heap. If that is the case, then we live to serve you. Now, get the hell out."