Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy.
Twenty Questions

Harry had just finished telling Snape about his encounter earlier in the day. The older wizard stared at him for a few minutes before sighing heavily. That wasn't a good sign. The older wizard then glanced around the bedroom and shook his head.

"There's nothing here, Potter."

"Well, I'm not going crazy, Snape."

"I didn't say you were, Potter," Snape replied calmly. He then casted a diagnostic charm on Harry but found nothing out of the ordinary. "Your temperature is well within normal limits. There is no trace left of the poison. It is not that I do not believe you, Potter. However, if there were someone in this room other than Sinistra, Pomfrey, the Headmaster, or myself the alarms would have sounded. As such, they were not."

"So what then, Snape?" growled Harry. "You think that I hallucinated again?"

"I did not say that." Snape then sighed heavily. "However, it is rather unsettling that you are hearing a voice that only you can hear. Repeat the question it asked."

"It wanted to know if I trusted you."

"Indeed," Snape replied quietly. "Did it seem content with your answer?"

"Well, I…I didn't really respond."

"I see. I take it there was a reaction, though?"

"Yeah, it said it'd be back."

"Do you feel uneasy around this voice?"

"Not really, I mean, I did at first, but I don't think it wants to hurt me."

"Do you recall if it is feminine or masculine?"

"I don't know. I think it might have been a woman, but I don't know."

"I see, well, I recommend then you think of your answer for your next encounter, Potter."

"You mean you're not going to do anything, Snape?"

"There is little for me to do, Potter, when I cannot find any evidence of what you claim."

"Great, so if it murders me, then you'll have your evidence."

"Oh, stop being so melodramatic, Potter. If it was going to kill you, it would have done so."

"So what then, Snape?" growled Harry.

"If it wishes for an answer, you will give it. Potter, you must understand that I need to learn more about the mysterious voice of yours before I can help you. So far, my only thoughts are that you either have suffered a severe mental breakdown because of the poison or that you are a Parselmouth. Seeing how there are no snakes in my quarters, though, and that I very much doubt the son of James Potter would ever exhibit a Slytherin trait, I do not see an answer."

Harry then gulped before hanging his head. He had thought speaking to snakes was just something wizards could do, but if Snape was telling the truth… He glanced up and met the older wizard's narrowing eyes.

"Um…Snape, I've…um…talked to a snake before," Harry quietly admitted.

"I very much doubt that, Potter. It was most likely a coincidence."

"No, really I can, Snape," Harry argued a bit more enthusiastically than he meant to.

"Prove it, Potter," Snape said lazily before conjuring a small garter snake.

Harry glanced at the snake and then to Snape. Did he really want to show Snape this? He sighed heavily. Well, what could it hurt anyway? It was just Snape. He drew in a deep breath and concentrated.

"Lie down," Harry hissed. In response, the snake replied with a hiss before curling into a tight ball. However, it had done its job. Harry instantly caught Snape's shock before the older wizard's face went back to its stoic mask he always wore. The snake then vanished with a wave of Snape's hand.

"How wonderful," Snape drawled sarcastically. "Our Golden Boy is a Parselmouth." He then angrily ran a hand through his long black hair before glaring at Harry.

"Sorry, sir, but you didn't believe me."

"Yes, and you just had to make me be the one to see that little trick of yours, didn't you? Merlin, Potter, you are going to get the both of us killed." Snape then rubbed his left forearm absentmindedly before sighing heavily. "What do you know about the Dark Lord, Potter?"

"Not much, sir," Harry admitted. "I know he killed my parents."

"No doubt from Miss Granger," Snape drawled before shaking his head grumpily. "Very well, Potter. We're going to play the asinine Muggle game of twenty questions. You are familiar with this, yes?" Harry nodded. "Good, I will go first and you will answer my question truthfully. Do not try to lie to me, Potter, because I will know. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," Harry replied solemnly. He didn't really understand why they were doing this, but he guessed Snape had a reason.

"Who knows you can speak to snakes?"

"No one, sir," Harry answered. "I thought all wizards could."

"Not all wizards, Mr. Potter," Snape replied in a tired voice. "It seems as if you share a commonality with the Dark Lord. Yes, Potter, he too could speak to snakes."

"Then it's a sign of dark wizards?"

"Depends on the wizard, but yes usually it is a sign. Before you foolishly believe you are a dark wizard, Potter, know that I do not believe you are." Snape then sighed again. "Salazar Slytherin is another Parselmouth. It is why Slytherin's mascot is a snake. Where did you first learn that you could speak to snakes?"

"When my aunt and uncle took me and my cousin Dudley to the zoo this summer," Harry replied. "It was the first time I did accidental magic. I was talking to the snake and Dudley came over and pushed me down. He was sticking his fat face against the window when it just disappeared. Uncle Vernon wasn't too happy about that."

"I bet not. Your question, Mr. Potter?" asked Snape quietly.

"Why were you so freaked out when I asked you if you served You-Know-Who?"

Harry instantly noticed Snape's hand latch onto his forearm again. It was almost as if it was instinct for the man. Quietly, he tucked his next question in the back of his mind. He then heard the man sigh heavily before clearing his throat.

"It is not a question one hears often, Potter." Snape then glanced away collecting his thoughts.

"I think there's the option to pass if you want to, sir."

"No, Potter, you deserve the truth." Snape then snorted before glancing at him. "You'll probably dream of it sometime anyway. Earlier this morning, when you asked me that question, I regret that I lied to you." Snape then glanced down at the floor. "I dumbly believed his lies."

"You…you served him?" Harry choked out.

"Yes, Potter, I was a loyal follower of the Dark Lord for five years before your parents' deaths."

"But…but you protect me!"

"I protect you now, Potter, but only out of regret." A dark shadow loomed behind Snape's eyes. "There was no reason for your parents' deaths."

"And the others?" asked Harry. "Did they have a reason, Snape?"

"No." Snape then glanced towards Harry. "When I learned of what I had done, I begged and pleaded, but it did no good. Their deaths were already stained onto my soul." He then chuckled ruefully. "That is if I have a soul left," he quietly said. Glancing at Harry with haunted eyes, he sighed. "Now, do you understand why I might have been unsettled? You were never to learn of my role in your parents' deaths. I did not want you to know that you were under the same roof as the man who practically murdered your parents."

"But…but Hermione said it was You-Know-Who!"

"Yes, well, while he might have casted the curses, I gave him the motive. I am no different from him, Potter. In those five years I served him, I murdered over three hundred people, three hundred, Potter. Some were the result of my spells, while others were from my potions. Each death added more stains until finally I was covered in so much blood that it would not wash off." Snape then closed his eyes and slowly drew in a breath.

"So then you are the one trying to steal whatever that dog's guarding on the third floor?"

"What do you know about that?" Snape's eyes quickly opened and narrowed on Harry.

"I asked the question first, Snape."

"Yes, Potter, I know, and my answer is no. Now how do you know about the dog?"

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"Do you honestly believe Albus Dumbledore would allow me within a hundred feet of you if he thought even for a moment that I was still serving the Dark Lord, Potter?"

"Fine," Harry grudgingly replied. "We were on our way back to the common room when the staircases decided to move. We ended up in the third floor corridor, and when we figured that out, it was too late to turn back because Mrs. Norris saw us. We were worried that Filch was going to find us so we opened the door and hid inside. We didn't know that there'd be a three-headed dog in there, though."

"And when you met the dog?"

"Obviously, we ran like hell out of there, Snape," Harry grumbled. He then sighed heavily before glancing at the older wizard. "I believe it's my turn now." Snape motioned with his hand for him to continue. "Why do you keep grabbing your arm?" When he noticed Snape's eyes narrow, he sighed. "Every time I bring up You-Know-Who, you grab your arm. Why?"

Snape didn't vocally respond this time. Instead, he silently unbuttoned his left sleeve before rolling them up. He then showed his forearm towards Harry. There was a faded tattoo on his arm, but Harry couldn't understand why the man was showing him this. It must have been evident on his face because Snape then quietly muttered to himself before buttoning his sleeve back up.

"It is the Dark Lord's Mark, Potter. It basically states that I am his servant."

"Couldn't you just remove it now?"

"Honestly, Potter," Snape drawled. "Do you honestly believe that to be just an ordinary mark? The Dark Lord branded me by using his dark magic, Potter. There is no way to remove it."

"Oh," Harry replied quietly. "So does it hurt then?"

"Thankfully not for some time," Snape responded. "Now, I believe I am allowed to ask two more questions since you took yours." Harry only nodded. "What honestly occurred on Halloween night because while I remember seeing you and Weasley I do not remember seeing Miss Granger?"

"Ron shot off his mouth, and well, it upset her."

"And the troll enters this sordid event how?"

"She was crying in the girls' bathroom that just happened to be the one the troll went to. Ron and I were trying to warn her, and well, we ran into it just as it about tried to kill Hermione."

"I see. You are fiercely protective of your friends."

"Is there something wrong with that, Snape?"

"No. I believe I am allowed to ask the next question."

"You goaded me into that."

"Perhaps, but I will allow you to ask my remaining questions if you answer my last." Snape narrowed his eyes on Harry for a few short minutes before sighing. "Since we are sharing so much with each other and perhaps even getting along rather well, could you please not act so much like a Gryffindor and rush off like a fool towards danger but allow the adults to handle it? What that dog is guarding is none of your concern, Potter. Listen to me as I say this. It is well guarded."

"Fine," Harry sighed. He then stared at Snape before folding his arms. "What were you doing on Halloween, Snape?"

"Enjoying the feast, Potter," Snape drawled sarcastically. "Next question," he said with a smirk.

"Hey, that wasn't what I meant." Harry then growled. "Fine, Snape, why was your leg bleeding when you came into the girls' bathroom on Halloween?"

"Because I had an unfortunate incident with the three-headed dog," Snape replied seriously.

"What is your relationship with Professor Sinistra?"

"Are you honestly asking that, Potter? Oh, dear Merlin, fine, Potter," Snape growled before he smirked wickedly. "I am currently involved in a sexual relationship with your Astronomy Professor. Does that answer your question?"

Harry's face instantly turned bright red from embarrassment. He couldn't believe Snape had just said that. It was too creepy. It took Harry a few minutes before he could shake the disturbing feeling out of his head. When he did, he met Snape's amused look.

"You asked, Potter," Snape said rather pleased with himself. "Now ask your last question."

"When I was in your quarters, I overheard you and Professor Sinistra discussing something. What is it that she wanted you to tell me, Snape?"

"Merlin, you're like talking to Binns, Potter," Snape drawled before sighing. "What do you think? After all, we've only been talking about it for the past half-hour."

"Then you were only going to tell me that you served the dark wizard that killed my parents?"

"I believe she also hoped that I informed you that I knew your parents when growing up and that I was friends with your mother. She might have also liked me to inform you that I protect you. Quite honestly, there are numerous things that Sinistra wishes me to tell you, Potter."

"Oh," replied Harry quietly.

"She has conjured this idea up in her head that at some point in time I will become a mentor to you. I can surely teach you Defense, but I cannot be anything more than your teacher, Potter."

"Why?"

"Yes, well, in case it has escaped your notice, Potter, I am not the star teacher here at Hogwarts. I remain here as per Dumbledore's request, not because I wish to be here."

"Then you don't like teaching?"

"Quite honestly, I find you all to be horrid little brats, Potter."

"Oh."

"It is not as if you wish me to become your mentor in any case. Frankly, you and I do not get along. Mostly due to my hatred towards your father which I regretfully act on when we are together. There is also the fact that I have quite the temper and other than Aurora, you bring the worst out in me. Then there is that little known fact that we do not trust each other." Snape then sighed as he glanced at Harry. His anger instantly took over. "Dammit, you do, don't you? You trust me now! Dammit, Potter!" growled Snape. He then whirled around and stormed towards the door before whirling around. "Fine, Potter, when that damn voice asks you again if you trust me, tell it you do, and see if it laughs. I know I would if I were it. Hell, I don't even trust myself." He then grumpily shook his head before storming out of the room. The door slammed shut behind him. "DAMMIT!"