Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
It's going to be awhile until next update. Enjoy. :)
Putting a Face to the Voice

Harry sighed heavily as he glanced around the room. He hadn't heard anything from Snape or Professor Sinistra since they went to bed. So far, he hadn't heard anything from the strange voice. While that fact made him immensely happy, it was also saddening. He wanted to know what the voice was and why only he heard it. If it was a snake, he wasn't sure if he would be happy. At least he'd know, though. The only problem was he was alone. He sighed for the tenth time in five minutes.

"I'm not going crazy," Harry said aloud. "I know I'm not. I'm sane."

"Yes, dear, keep telling yourself that," the familiar voice replied amusedly.

"You're back!" Harry loudly announced. He then glanced around to see if he could see what the voice was. He didn't get a reply, but he guessed he wouldn't. "Um…are you a snake?" Quiet laughter echoed around the room.

"Is that what you believe, Mr. Potter? Do you believe I'm a snake?"

"Honestly, I don't know." Harry then sighed softly. "I'd like to know, though."

"So you'd inform Severus?"

"No." The voice scoffed in response. "No really. I just want to know. I mean, my options are that I'm either crazy or I'm talking to a snake. Either way, it's not very good for me."

"Then breathe a sigh of relief for I am neither, Mr. Potter."

"Then what are you?" Harry heard a soft sigh before he noticed an outline of a person. His mouth hung open instantly when he watched a woman who looked to be in her late twenties walk into the soft light of the candles. The woman's soft blond curls bounced on her bare shoulders. "You're a…a…but Snape said…"

"His wards do not take into consideration the dead, Mr. Potter."

"You're dead?" Harry quickly glanced towards the shut door. The feeling of uneasiness had returned. "Um…can…can they hear us?"

"No, but do not concern yourself, Mr. Potter. I'm not here to hurt you." The woman then folded her arms across her rich green dress. "I believe you have an answer for me now?"

"Um…sure, yeah, I mean, yes, ma'am, I do."

"Well, do you trust Severus Snape with your life?" Her piercing green eyes cut deep into him.

"I do," Harry replied. "I trust him with my life."

"Excellent, Mr. Potter. I must say that I am impressed that you changed your mind so quickly. It is rather nice when someone shares things with you, isn't it? Treats you like a human instead of how the Dursleys treat you?"

"Who…who are you?"

"I am Syrene," the woman replied before smiling pleasantly. "You would not know me nor would Severus. You wonder why I am here, don't you, Mr. Potter?"

"Yes, ma'am," he replied quietly.

"I am here because my granddaughter is worried about you. Do you know why she is worried, Mr. Potter?" Harry shook his head. "She's worried for the same reason I am. You travel a difficult road and while it is necessary, I believe you can alter your path and still achieve the goal."

"The goal?" asked Harry.

"Yes, Mr. Potter, the goal, which you will learn by the end of this term. Terrible events will take place in the coming years here and trusting Severus with your life will ensure you are safe. However, there is no need for you to suffer in silence."

"I don't…I don't understand."

"Not yet, Mr. Potter, but you will. Since I have no doubt you will inform Severus all about our conversation, I believe you should tell him this. The poison used on you came from the Forbidden Forest. The same one who has been killing the unicorns poisoned you. You may inform him also that his instinct is correct."

"Would you like me to tell him anything else for you?"

"Do not flatter me with lowering yourself to an owl's status, Mr. Potter. The message you have is all that you will need." The woman then drew in a deep breath. "Your blood is strong, Mr. Potter, strong as Severus's. We shall meet again before your test." She then stepped back into the darkness and left.