Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter Beta by jazzyjezzy.
Chapter 4: A New Life For Harry

   “Severus, what have you done?” Dumbledore asked when Madam Pomphrey took the shocked Ministry officials away.

   “It happened years ago,” Snape started explaining, “Lucius Malfoy thought it was funny that I still cared for Lily and so he punished me.”

   “With what?”

   “With watching her have uncontrolled lust,” Snape said, hiding his face in his hands, “He knew that I would help her and I poured all my love into her until there was nothing left but a shell. And then I enabled her to escape back to Potter. I didn’t know that I was a father until the child showed me the letter that he had gotten from Lily.”

   “And how many times have you gone against the Dark Lord?” Dumbledore asked.

   “I don’t know, three times,” Snape answered.

Dumbledore smiled at him, “Then Harry is still the one that shall defeat Voldemort (Snape flinched).”

   “The Ministry won’t like it,” Snape said.

   “Does either of us care what the Ministry thinks?” Dumbledore asked him.

   “Point taken,” Snape said.

Snape was glad to finally leave the Headmaster’s office. He had to pick up fresh ingredients as well as talk to Harry before he was released back into the public. They had a full month before he showed signs of his condition and that would him time to prepare the room where Harry would transform as well as making sure that Harry didn’t fall behind on anything. Snape felt it strange that he was planning all this when a few weeks ago he couldn’t even bear looking at him without seeing James.

 

He entered the hospital wing and noticed that Harry was eating breakfast. Madam Pomphrey was in her office

“I see that you’ve fully recovered from your life changing event,” Snape said.

“Not that I like it,” Harry said, “They took all my money away and now I won’t be able to get my books next year.”

“Don’t worry your heart about your money; it was transferred to my vault.”

Harry stared at him, shocked. “You? You were the one that saved my money?”

   “Yes, I did,” Snape told him, “I am capable of doing something like that. Personally I did it to make the toad mad.”

   “Toad,” Harry said, confused.

   “Umbridge,” Snape said, “People that don’t like her call her a toad because she looks like one and nearly dresses like one. Never come in contact with her if you wish not to be told things that aren’t true. She’s responsible for a lot of laws that you now have to follow, including the removal of werewolf funds. She hates children more then I hate dunderheads.”

   “Was she in Slytherin?” Harry asked.

   “If she was it was before my time,” Snape answered. “Now I have a few things that I need to talk to you about, one to keep Umbridge away, and the rest about your rest of your term here and the summer holidays.”

   “Okay,” Harry said.

   “Now the first one is connected with Umbridge,” Snape started, “The Wolfsbane Potion, the only potion that makes a werewolf safe, must be drunk one week before the Full Moon in order to keep your mind when you transform. I expect you in my office before breakfast to drink your dose, seven doses in all, and not to tell a soul that you’re drinking this. The last thing that we need is people to find out; except for Malfoy he’ll probably know or knows by now. Second: I expect you to work hard in all your lessons. I personally don’t care about History of Magic because it’s been seventy years since anyone got an O in that class. I will not tolerate any slacking just because you’re my son.”

   “Yes, sir,” Harry said.

   “If you’re good I’ll let you help me with brewing,” Snape said. “Now as my son I won’t put up with Malfoy bullying you. I had to put up with it from the man that we all thought is your father. Lupin says that I must praise you and I’ll praise you in small ways like a point here or there from time to time. None to get your house near the Quidditch Cup, of course.”

   “Of course,” Harry said, though Snape could tell that he wanted to know about how bad James had treated him. He was thankful when Harry didn’t ask.

   “Now onto the third point: I’ve been to the Dursleys and had a very, um, interesting conversation with her.”

Harry went pale but Snape continued, “She admitted to the abuse and I turned her into a horse as punishment.”

Harry gasped in shock. “You turned her into a horse?”

   “Didn’t I just say that,” Snape snapped and then hit himself. “Sorry about that, I’m use to snapping at you without thinking.”

Harry had a feeling that he was sorry.

   “Let’s continue,” Snape said, “While we’re alone you can call me dad, that’s what I called my father, but in class its sir or Professor. I don’t want to hear coming out of your mouth what the other students that are in your class call me.”

   “Yes, sir,” Harry said at once.

   “During the Christmas break you can stay at Hogwarts, if you wish, but if you don’t want to stay we can go out where it’s warm. Now during the summer I live on Spinner End. It’s not the nicest place in the world but its home. I’ll let you use my parent’s bedroom since their not alive.”

   “Does any of your Slytherin friends visit?”

   “Not if they don’t want to turn into barn animals, they don’t,” Snape told him, “Also about this stupid rule about not holding down a job. I own my own shop in Hogsmeade. When you’re older, meaning graduated, you can work in my shop.”

   “But won’t you get into trouble?” Harry asked, “I mean it says-.”

   “I’m your father and I make the choices,” Snape said, “Now another point I would like to come across that I’ve been talking about since the moment that you arrived. You and your two friends are always getting yourself in trouble. I won’t stand for you going out there and risking your stupid neck for things that adults can do.”

   “But it’s my job to help.”

   “It’s your job to be a teen and to do your best in school,” Snape said sternly. “If I find that you’ve done anything that will put your lives and those of your friends in grave danger I will whip you.”

Harry went white and Snape figured that Harry had been beaten.

   “I’m not going to beat you,” Snape added, “Just a few whacks on the butt and I’ll do it to Granger and Weasley as well.”

   “Can you actually do that to them?” Harry asked him.

   “Of course,” Snape said, “But that’s only if all three of you land into trouble that is of your own making. Sometimes being brave doesn’t mean going into the fray all the time. Of course you can’t tell them that I can do this.”

   “Probably because Ron will make a comment,” Harry said.

   “That’s one of the many reasons,” Snape said, “Also I know that Wood is going to start training you all against your match with Slytherin. I don’t want him putting you through your paces like some stupid show dog. Your requirement is to do well in school not show off for a woman that’s dreams of internal Quidditch glory.”

   “Okay, I see that you’re with Hermione in your dislike of the game.”

   “I’ve heard of her dislike but I’m with her on this one,” Snape said, “Being good at Quidditch isn’t going to keep you from repeating your form. Now do you have any questions pertaining to what I’ve said?”

   “Only two,” Harry said, “The Hogsmeade weekend will be coming and my, um, family didn’t sign my form.”

   “And because I’m your father I would fall into the category of being able to sign it,” Snape said and Harry nodded. “Very well but if your bad you don’t get to go.”

   “Thank you, s-dad,” Harry said.

Snape signed the form and pocked it. “I’m giving it to McGonagall so that Weasley doesn’t see my handwriting.”

   “My last one is that you’ve got my money can I have some pocket money for my trips?”

   “I will give you a weekly allowance so you can buy all the things that little boys want,” Snape told him, “Is that it?”

Harry nodded and Snape got up.

   “Well I think that Madam Pomphrey will let you go and you’re to head back to Gryffindor tower at once.”

   “Yes, dad,” Harry said and Snape left.

Harry was very relieved to finally leave the hospital wing. When he came back Ron vowed to get back at Snape for whatever he thought that Snape had done.

   “Harry, you’ve to help me,” Ron said.

   “No, I’m not,” Harry said, remembering what Snape had told him about punishments.

   “And why not?” Ron asked, “Don’t you feel the need to get back at him.”

   “What I feel the need to do, Ron, is do my Defense against the Dark Arts work.”

   “Fine, but I’m still going to do it,” Ron said.

   “Suit yourself,” Harry said and he went up to his dorm.

The next morning Harry heard yelling as his father came running up from the dungeon’s bleeding. Harry had to keep from sniffing as not to track attention. The anger that was coming off of him was enough to send Harry reeling.

 

   “Severus, calm down,” McGonagall said.

   “I cut myself on a knife that I’ve never seen before,” Snape said and then he passed out.

Harry wanted to run to his side but he held back. He didn’t want people to be alerted that he cared but he was determined to find out who had done this to him.

“Harry, are you alright?” Hermione asked during their study time.

Harry was pouring over some old notes that his father had given him before he had been attacked.

   “I’m fine,” Harry said, writing down the ingredients to a Hair Strengthening Solution that he planned on brewing.

   “No problems from your, you-know-what,” Hermione asked him.

   “None,” Harry said.

   “Well I’m glad to hear that,” Hermione said and then groaned, “Oh no!”

Harry looked at her, “What?”

“Luna Lovegood is coming over here,” Hermione said.

Harry turned but Hermione hissed at him to return to his notes.

“What’s the problem? Is Luna a Slytherin or something?” Harry asked her.

“No, she’s just off her rocker,” Hermione explained, “She’s in Ravenclaw.”

“Then what’s wrong with her?” Harry asked.

   “She just doesn’t act, um, normal,” Hermione told him.

Harry seemed a little insulted, he wasn’t normal. Heck he turned into a werewolf once a month.

“Hello,” said a dreamy voice and Harry saw Hermione rolling her eyes.

   “Hello,” Harry said, not looking at her.

It was odd not talking to someone face to face.

   “I was wondering if I could study with you,” Luna asked.

   “Sure,” Harry said and Hermione stared at him.

Luna sat down and Harry finally turned to face her. At once he thought she was the prettiest girl that he had ever seen. She smiled at him and he returned it.

   “I heard that Professor Snape got attacked,” Luna said. “Was a Crumple-.”

   “I’m leaving,” Hermione said, “Goodbye Luna.”

Luna looked around.

   “Looks like we’re alone,” she said.

   “Hay, Potter, what are you doing hanging out with Loony?” Draco Malfoy teased.

   “Hay, stop calling her loony,” Harry demanded and Draco and his Slytherin friends laughed.

   “Is there a problem?” Madam Pince asked.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief when the Head Librarian arrived.

   “No there’s-.”

   “I think there is,” Madam Pince said, “And I’m under orders to watch young Mr. Potter here. I think ten points each from Slytherin should do nicely and I want you to leave them alone.”

She pointed to the door and the four Slytherins had to leave.

“Thanks,” Harry said and he went back studying.

It was odd for Harry to like a girl and inside he didn’t even know how someone told a girl that he liked her. He decided to ask Professor Lupin since his father wasn’t able to be with him. When he arrived at Lupin’s office he saw that the Defense Professor was busy working on grading papers. Harry wasn’t sure what he thought about all this but he figured that it wouldn’t hurt to talk.

   “Harry, what can I do for you?” Lupin asked.

   “Well I was wondering if you could help me,” Harry said.

   “Sure, what is it?”

   “Well I was studying with Hermione and this girl named Luna Lovegood appeared, she’s in Ravenclaw, and I saw her and I thought she was prettiest girl that I had ever seen. I also felt this sort of connection and then Malfoy and his stupid goons had to come.”

Harry saw Lupin studying him. “Well with our kind when we find our mate, the person that we’re supposed to be with, we feel this connection. It’s very difficult to explain as I haven’t yet found my mate.”

   “So this is normal,” Harry said.

   “Of course,” Lupin told him, “Nothing to be ashamed about.”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. “But don’t go and hurt her. Girl’s don’t like being hurt and from what I’m hearing the other Ravenclaw’s don’t like her at all.”

   “Why, she’s so nice,” Harry said.

   “She acts differently and she’s not, what’s that word, cool for her to hang out with.”

Harry growled, which told any werewolf that he was angry.

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

To S.S: Thanks for your review. I’m really glad that my Beta is returning my chapters with speed. Oh and things will work out between Harry and Snape.

To Shadow: I hate Umbridge and the Ministry as well. Thanks for your review.

To mithrilandtj: Thanks for your review and I don’t think Dumbledore cares. The only thing he cares about is his stupid war.