Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6: The Truth About Scabbers

 Harry didn’t have a chance to get the rat especially with the fact that Ron was keeping an eye on it. During lunch he snuck down to his father’s office to take his Wolfsbane Potion. When he was finished drinking it he told his father about how the cat was acting.

   “That’s strange,” Snape said, looking troubled, “What kind of cat does Miss Granger have?”

   “I don’t know, some orange puff ball that Ron hates,” Harry answered.

   “Well since I’m not allowed in Gryffindor Tower I want you to try and get the rat for me. I can do spells to find out exactly what’s causing the cat to go after it. Hopefully we’ll find out the answer before you transform.”

   “Dad, how am I supposed to keep from harming people?” Harry asked.

   “By going to your room,” Snape answered. “It has been charmed to ward during the Full Moon. Lupin will be transforming in his office.”

   “Will he be able to teach?” Harry asked.

   “I’m afraid that I’ll have to take over his post until he recovers,” Snape told Harry, “That means that we have to pretend that we hate each other.”

Harry groaned, he hated pretending to hate his father but he wasn’t finished. “And you have to pretend that you don’t know that Lupin is a werewolf.”

   “That part I can do,” Harry said.

   “Good because we don’t need anymore people to know that you’re cursed,” Snape said firmly and Harry nodded.

He didn’t want anyone else to know either.

 

Halloween came around and Harry had to wait until Ron and the rest of the students had already left for Hogsmeade. He wanted to go but this was his only chance to get the rat for his father. He entered his dorm and found the rat sleeping. Before it knew anything Harry grabbed it and hurried down to his father’s office.

 

When he arrived with the rat Professor Dumbledore was also there. He took the rat, which was now franticly trying to get away and raised his wand. With a single spell the rat transformed into a man.

  “Well looks like we now know why the cat was acting odd,” Dumbledore said, “Welcome back, Peter Pettigrew.”

 

Harry had to hold back his desire to kill the man as Peter said, under a truth potion, how he had betrayed the Potters. Harry noticed that his father wasn’t present, which was odd. When an Auror named Kingsley Shacklebolt came to pick him up Dumbledore turned to Harry.

   “I believe this means that Sirius Black will be freed,” Dumbledore said, “I’ll have it posted that he doesn’t have to hide anymore.”

   “I’m glad that he’ll be freed,” Harry said.

   “Yes, me too,” Dumbledore said, “Why don’t you go to Hogsmeade?”

   “Sure,” Harry said and then left.

 

   “So Sirius is going to take Harry away from me,” Snape said.

   “Well he is Harry’s godfather,” Dumbledore said.

   “But I’m Harry’s father,” Snape reminded him, his eyes narrowing at the older wizard.

   “Yes but I’m afraid that none of you will be able to take Harry with you,” Dumbledore told him.

Snape stared at him, “What do you mean, Headmaster that I can’t take Harry home with me when term ends?”

“He needs to stay with his Aunt and Uncle due to the blood wards,” Dumbledore said, “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry, Dumbledore, you’re never sorry,” Snape spat. “You know that he’s treated like dirt and yet you think that his family is the best place for him. I don’t care that you think that this is important my son is far more important.”

 “And what would Lily say about that?”

   “She would agree with me,” Snape said, “Lily wanted us to be a family and I’m not having you ruin it.”

   “I know how you feel but it’s the best place-.”

   “Shut up,” Snape snarled, cutting him off, “You don’t know what’s best for him. He needs to be around family, me.”

   “I’m sorry, Severus, but Harry will return to the Dursleys,” Dumbledore said and he left the Potions Master alone.

 

Harry arrived at Hogsmeade and went into Zonkos joke shop. Thankfully no one that he knew was there and so he took the money out that his father had given him and bought some joke items.

   “Is that all?” the owner asked.

   “Yes,” Harry said, handing him the money.

He put it into a bag and left.

Harry stepped into a bookshop and fingered through the different titles. He found a potions book that looked interesting and pulled it out. As he did he saw Ron and Hermione and they were talking about him.

   “I don’t know why he’s acting so strangely,” he said.

   “Ron, don’t bother with it,” Hermione said, “Harry’s had to put up with so much and if he wants to have a secret then let him.”

   “But he’s my best mate; we’re not supposed to have any secrets.”

Harry felt like snorting. Ron wasn’t his best mate; best mates didn’t try and murder their mate’s father.

   “I’m telling you I don’t like the fact that he’s doing better then me in Potions,” Ron went on, “He acts like potions are so damn important.”

   “Well maybe he found something that he wants to do and Potions are needed,” Hermione reasoned.

   “Still he should keep his nose out of the book and spend time with me,” Ron told her. “He’s always making sure that his essays are better then mine and then he won’t let me copy his work.”

   “Ron, stop it,” Hermione said, “Your supposed to be his friend not judge him.”

   “I’m not judging him, I’m pointing out something.”

Harry heard Hermione getting mad. Finally she said, “I’m leaving.”

   “Why?”

   “Because I’m tired of hearing this conversation,” Hermione told him and left, thankfully not around where Harry was.

When Ron was gone as well Harry went up and paid for his book. He then left the shop and went over to the Three Broomsticks. When he walked in he saw that it was crowded with Hogwarts students and so he dropped his glamour and ordered his lunch. Thankfully the new look hid his scar and no one knew that Harry was even there.

When his food arrived he ate it, thinking about what Ron had said about him. He hated it when Ron thought that he knew more then Harry did. True for the past two years he had acted as though learning Potions and Charms weren’t important but now that he had a father, a father that demanded higher things, he was working to change some of his established habits. He looked over and saw Ron drinking something and Hermione reading a book. He shook his head and went back to his food.

 

Meanwhile with Snape and Lupin…

 

“He told me that Harry has to still return to the Dursleys,” Snape told Lupin. “I tried to tell him that they would treat him like dirt, especially after what happened this past summer, but he won’t listen.”

“Why is he doing this?” Lupin asked, “Sirius will be coming back and we all know that he’s not prepared for the fact that your Harry’s father.”

“Don’t remind me,” Snape said coldly. “I’m pointing out what are we going to do about the whole Dursley thing?”

“Is there anything that we can do?” Lupin asked.

“I’m going to talk to someone in the Department for the Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures and see what I can do. The Dursleys won’t be able to take care of him when he’s in his form and I’m afraid that they’ll force him to do work while he’s weak.”

   “Do you think that we can get them charged for the abuse that they did?” Lupin asked.

   “Gods, I hope so,” Snape said.

 

Later…

 

Harry showed back up long before the rest of the students had. Snape asked him how he had enjoyed Hogsmeade.

   “It was great unless you count the fact that Ron’s talking about me when he thinks that I’m not around,” Harry told him.

   “What did he say?”

   “Oh the usual jealous stuff,” Harry said, “Like I’m supposed to decide not to do well. You expect me to do well and he’s making me mad with his one line of thinking.”

   “Well I’ve always seen that Weasley had no brains, in fact all he cares about his food.”

   “Don’t remind me, dad,” Harry said, “He could eat enough to keep him going a month and still it wouldn’t be enough.”

   “So are you going to the Halloween Feast?” Snape asked.

   “Yeah,” Harry said, “Don’t want anyone to think that I didn’t care about the Halloween Feast.”

   “Then I’ll see you there and don’t forget to replace your glamour,” Snape said and Harry headed back to Gryffindor tower.

 

   “So there you are,” Ron said, showering Harry with sweets. “Honeydukes had a new type of fudge. There’s some samples right there.”

   “Thanks,” Harry said, pretending to be exited and grateful.

   “So are you going to the Feast?” Ron asked, “Because I’m starving.”

   “Ron, stop thinking about your dumb stomach,” Hermione said.

   “Don’t worry, I’m going,” Harry said.

   “Good,” Ron said and forced Harry to his feet. “Are you alright, mate, you look a little peaky.”

   “I’m fine, Ron, stop worrying about me,” Harry snapped and left the common room.

 

The Halloween Feast was good but his mind kept wondering around the room. His skin was also starting to itch and he wondered if this was one of the signs that the Full Moon was tomorrow night. He decided that he would ask his dad about it when he recovered. The Hogwarts Ghosts did a wonderful display and Nearly Headless Nick had great success reenacting his own botched beheading. Finally it was time to leave and Harry joined the other students leaving the Great Hall.

 

Hey, Potter, the Dementors send their love,” Malfoy said.

 

Harry growled at him.

 

However going back to Gryffindor Tower proved to be much different then leaving. The way was blocked and soon Harry discovered why. Sirius Black had attacked the Fat Lady.

 

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I would like to thank everyone that reviewed. You've all been great.