Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Beta-read by Wellyuthink - thanks, Jen!
Promises fulfilled

“I am sorry, Albus,” Severus said without feeling sorry in a slightest, and his voice conveyed it clearly. If anything, he sounded gleeful. “I absolutely cannot keep Demosthenes shut in my quarters alone, all day, every day. That would be very inhuman, wouldn’t it?”

“Yes, Albus!” Minerva joined in, the undertone of amusement in her voice giving her away. “I can’t believe you’re suggesting that Severus would treat his new familiar so cruelly.”

 

Severus could see smug sparkle in her eyes. He knew that, in the dispute about his leaving his teaching position, Minerva had been on his side from the beginning.

 

Minerva continued, “We will simply have to warn the students most seriously that there will be no rude remarks or profanities, or else.” Now she even went as far as to wink at Severus. He decided that he was going to buy her the biggest bottle of Scotch whiskey on the market.

 

“It wouldn’t be enough, and you know it,” Albus answered her moodily. Then, with an unbecomingly petulant expression, the old wizard admonished the younger one, “This is a low way of forcing me to release you from the contract, Severus. I am most disappointed with you. And to think what I did for you in the past...”

 

“Voldemort is gone and Severus has the right to live his life freely,” Minerva said sharply. “He more than paid you back for your help after Voldemort’s first demise, and you know it. Don’t you dare to imply otherwise.”

 

“If you could prepare the necessary paperwork as soon as possible, Albus, I would be most grateful.” Severus nodded at his employer coldly. “Minerva, will you join me for a glass of something strong? Demosthenes has taken special liking to you.”

 

Together they left Albus to stew in his own grease.

 

At first, Severus had wanted to end his teaching career by the end of the school year – so that Albus would have had enough time to find another Potions master. However, after Albus´ refusal, peppered with accusations and emotional blackmail, Severus had no scruples about leaving immediately.

 

“Until today, I have apparently underestimated the true extent of Slytherin cunning,” Minerva laughed. “What a pet you bought yourself to get out of here!”

 

“As flattering as it is, I cannot accept the praise.” Severus smirked at her. “I got the animal from Potter.”

 

He had never seen Minerva so gobsmacked. He laughed. A pair of third years boys started at the sound, exchanged a panicked look, and hurried away. Severus laughed again. Really, during the last three days he had laughed more than during the last two decades. Or ever.

 

“I will share the whole story over a glass of cognac,” he promised his older colleague.

 

 

  Potter approached him the day after the celebration party.  

“It’s good to be free.” The boy beamed at Severus. “I came to thank you for all your help. I wanted to catch you at the party, but you had left before I could shake off the Ministry officials and reporters.” Potter shuddered with distaste; partly real, partly faked.

Overdramatic Gryffindors! 

The boy continued, “I know you don’t like me, but your work helped to get me free from the stupid prophecy and the madman, and I am grateful.” Severus had to grant the boy – a young man now, really – that he seemed sincere.  

“Well, I am not free, Potter, I am stuck here for another four years to teach brats and idiots,” Severus informed him bitterly, “so go and celebrate elsewhere!” 

“I know.” Potter frowned. “I heard the row.”  

Everyone at the party had to have heard  it, Severus knew. He had become really winded while he was screaming bloody murder at Albus, the ungrateful bastard. 

“I promise I will get you out of here.” Potter told him sincerely. He got a doubtful snort as an answer. 

“Really, you have my word,” the boy insisted. “You will be free even if I had to persuade Hermione to take your job.”  Well, that was an idea, Severus thought. Granger would graduate in June and if she agreed... Yes, there was a chance in that. 

“Give me a couple of days and I’ll think of something,” with that, Potter left. 

Six days later, he came back. With an animal. Severus was shocked speechless. Till this day, Severus didn’t know how he had managed to postpone his laughing fit until Potter had left. Really, Minerva had been right about the boy in one thing at least – Potter was nothing if not resourceful.  

“Master of Speech,” Severus said his password.

 

“He is, isn’t he?” the Salazar Slytherin’s portrait guarding Severus’ quarters replied, smirking.

 

Demosthenes was already waiting behind the door when Severus and Minerva came in.

 

“Crappy master!” the Jarvey greeted him. “It took you a fucking long time to get back to these bloody rooms. Not one fucking gnome to chase here.”

 

“Don’t worry, Demosthenes,” Severus scratched the ferret-like creature’s head, “soon, we are going to have a freaking great holiday in a damn great gnome territory.”

Chapter End Notes:
Demosthenes was a Greek orator, he delivered judicial speeches. Check Wiki for more.
A Jarvey is a JKR’s animal who can speak, use profanities and looks like an overgrown ferret. Check HP lexicon for more.