Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
It's going to be awhile until I can update the next chapter. Enjoy. :)
His Answer

A knock at my office makes me sigh. I know that it is Harry. I have been expecting this all day from him. I glance down at the book in front of me and close my eyes. The minute I open that door and allow him in is the minute our lives change for forever. I know this and it unsettles me greatly.

"Enter," I loudly announce. I watch Harry slowly walk in my office. He appears to be unsettled also by what is to come after he decides. I draw in a breath before speaking. "I take it you've decided then?" He nods his head curtly. "Well, by all means, don't leave me in suspense."

"I…I…" Harry then lowers his head. The words are in the boy's mouth, but the words just won't leave his mouth. He takes a few minutes before he glances back up at me. His eyes are full of pain.

"You chose Gryffindor," I calmly state.

"No," he replies barely above a whisper. "I…I thought a lot about what…um…Professor Sinistra said yesterday."

"Did you?" I am not mocking him, and I believe he understands this.

"Yeah, and she's…um…she's right. I mean, I want…I want a family, Snape."

I stare at Harry. His words hit me like a hippogriff. He wants a family and thinks I can give him that. Sinistra's words from yesterday echo in my mind. Speak up or allow yourself to wallow in your pain as you've done for so long. He is speaking right now to me. He is doing just what she said. I feel my emotions under my barriers begin to tremble as I remember my own childhood. He is doing something that I had not the courage to do.

"I regret that I…" I instantly look away as the green eyes stare at me. My words are failing me. His innocence and his maturity speak volumes to me. "I…I do not know if I can give you that, Harry." The sadness reenters his eyes again. Sinistra's words 'Cupboard under the stairs' then echoes in my mind. I shake my head slowly trying to dismiss my instincts. However, I know they are right. "What did Aurora mean by 'cupboard under the stairs' yesterday?" Instantly, a haunted look enters his eyes.

"The Dursleys don't like magic very much so when freaky happened, they'd throw me in. Had to keep the freak locked up, you know. Lived in there actually until this summer," he quietly admitted.

They LOCKED you in a CUPBOARD! I cannot hold back my anger as I stand up. I barely notice that I've frightened him with my sudden movement. They are the only ones who are freaks, not you, Harry. Honestly, this is why I hate Muggles. They are no better than Death Eaters are. Locking a child up because he exhibits a rare talent, I sneer in disgust. Destroying a child because of what you do not understand. Perhaps if it were done to you, then you would feel remorse for what you did, Muggles. As I think the word Muggle, it feels to me as if I am swallowing vinegar. I want nothing more than to find those Muggles and make them suffer. However, the soft sounds near me draw me back to my office.

"I apologize," I say quickly before whirling around to avoid those green eyes. My temper has cost me several jars of cockroaches, newts' eyes, and salamander tongues since I have release unintentional magic about the room. I breathe in deeply the cool air to make sure that my temper is in check before I turn around to face the young man. "I will see to it that you do not ever return to those wretched bastards again."

"You mean that she was right?" replies Harry shocked.

I stare at him for a few moments before sighing. I cannot allow anyone else to harm this boy. However, I know that if I take him as my ward, I might never release him. He is Lily's son after all. He has her eyes. He is, therefore, my last connection to my lost love. I will not delude myself into thinking that I would not consider him my son then. After all, when I look at him, I think of what could have been. How he could have been mine if I had not chosen the dark arts over Lily. I sigh heavily.

"It seems as if I am to speak with the Headmaster this evening about your guardianship then." I then glance away from the reserved happiness in his eyes. He must truly be desperate and crave attention if he believes that it is a good thing to be my ward. However, compared to the Dursleys, I like to believe that I will be a better guardian than those monsters.

"All right then. I'm readying to give you my answer now."

My eyes dart back to Harry and narrow on him. I have already heard his answer. I need not for him to go through this again. I open my mouth to tell him just this when he interrupts me.

"I choose Slytherin, Snape. I talked it over with Hermione and Ron last night. They all think that…that it might make things easier for us in the long run since I know where you stand now." He then shudders silently before inhaling deeply. "I…I feel like a traitor, though."

"Do not," I simply state.

"Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" Numbly, I nod back. "Maybe change is good, though, right? I mean, you can protect me better now so I…I should be safe. I won't have to worry about the Dursleys anymore. Hell, I might even finish my homework before the last day of break."

My eyes narrow on him. He is being immensely calm. However, I know this is all a projection towards me. Underneath he is a storm of emotions, though. Those feelings are familiar to me.

"Can I…I mean…I know it's horrible, but can I still wear my Gryffindor stuff every now and then? I know Slytherin's supposed to be my House now, and it might be with time, but—" I hold up my hand and stop him from his babbling fit.

"I plan for you to get your own room this time, so whatever you do or wear in your room will be up to you. However, I…I cannot allow you to wear around the castle or grounds your—"

"That's fine. I understand. Um…I take it that I'm going to play Quidditch for Slytherin then?"

"If you wish," I reply. I have forgotten about his playing Quidditch. That might make some waves that I have not desired to make yet. "However, I would understand if you did not wish to aid Slytherin into victory. Quite honestly, I do not care much for it myself."

"Don't you bet Professor McGonagall about it all the time?"

"Your sources are incorrect, which is the way we would like it to remain." I then sigh quietly. "It is Aurora who bets on Slytherin, not I. She is who bets with Minerva in my place."

"I see," he says with a quiet laugh. "I thought she was always right?"

"She bets only to ensure that everyone knows that 'Severus Snape' cares for Quidditch. I do not believe she cares for the sport much either."

"So…now what, Snape? Now what happens to me?"

"I regret that your room is not yet finished so if you wished to spend one last night in Gryffindor Tower, you may. I believe Weasley will be more than happy to allow you in. Do not concern yourself over the others in your House. It is my understanding that they are fiercely loyal to you, and any issues you have in Slytherin will and should be brought to my attention first thing so that I may address them."

"Or at least have Sinistra address them," Harry said grinning.

I allow myself to chuckle as my chest loosens for the first time in years. It is a strange feeling, but I do not have any more time to waste on dissecting the feeling. I slowly walk Harry to the door and stare at the young man. Merely twelve, he may be but a man nonetheless in my eyes. We have had to grow up quick because of Muggles. With time, perhaps I can renew the child and his frivolity need to stay childish recaptured…with time.

Harry leaves quietly. There is no actual goodbye between us, which matters not to me. I sigh heavily as I watch him disappear up the stairs. For tonight, I know he is safe. I then turn around to walk back into my office. However, my eyes quickly notice the movement out of the corner of my eye. I have thought that tonight would be free, but it seems as if my stalker is at least consistent.

"Aurora," I simply say as I walk back into my office. I glance towards the fireplace that's flames are just dying back down after her arrival. I then draw in a deep breath before folding my arms. "If you are here to tell me that I've just committed—"

"Nope, no need," she replies happily. "I know he is in good hands with you, Severus."

"Yes, and once I would love to understand how you know what you know," I mutter. I am not expecting an answer from her, but I receive one strangely. I nearly miss it, though, as she speaks softly.

"As I said this morning, we all wear masks. Mine just allows me to notice things others would not regularly see." She then softly laughs. "And sometimes you are projecting your thoughts so clearly that it is rather hard to ignore." My eyes narrow. "Your barriers do very little to shield me, Severus, and don't think for a moment I'm a Seer because I'm not. My family is just good at reading people, and you're easier when you're angry. So leave those horrid Muggles to me, Severus. I have something special planned for them." She then smiles before throwing down the floo powder and leaving. A chill runs down my spine. I can only imagine her special something.