Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, I'm going to write a Harry and Snape chapter after this one. Enjoy, though. :)
Secret Place

Near midnight, I find myself in the Hospital Wing. I can just see the outline of Aurora resting on the lonely cot. I glance around and sigh. No one is around. I know not why I am here, but slowly I walk towards her. The shadows are my friends as I do this action. Slowly, I sit in the vacant chair and just stare at her. She looks as if she is only resting.

"You should not be here," I quietly say aloud. "Neither of us should be here." I then sigh as I feel my true words bubbling to my mouth. "You always chose to live your life in the light, which is something I have secretly admired from afar about you. Out of the hundreds of pureblood students to attend Hogwarts and be in Slytherin, you were the smartest one." I then scoff cynically. "I can still hear that lecture you gave me after you saw my mark during my sixth year. At the time, I thought you were just another silly girl, but you weren't. You knew then, didn't you? You knew then what I had gotten myself into, and how big of a mess I had made. You only meant to prevent me from becoming any darker, but I foolishly didn't listen to you. I wish I had, though."

I glance off toward the huge windows and stare at the moon. It is majestic up there in the sky, looking down upon us. A sudden thought occurs to me. My head quickly turns back to Aurora and I stare at her for a few seconds as I weigh the consequences in my mind (like any good Slytherin). Deciding finally that the benefits outweigh the bad ten to one, I stand up and gently slide my hands under her weightless body. There is one place that I know will help her, and it is not here in the Hospital Wing or in Windsor at her parents' estate.

Silently, I walk with her in my arms out of the Infirmary and towards the entrance hall. It does not take me long to get there because I know urgency is needed. I head out of the front doors and towards the dark, dense forest. It is a place that she has brought me to once before when I was a fifth year. I can still remember how her eyes sparkled radiantly as we sat there together talking until the sunrise. My long legs make the journey go quicker than it normally would. My dark eyes quickly catch the overgrown vines that now cover the hidden entrance. After a well-placed Incendio, I walk into the newly uncovered cavern and walk towards the back.

The air in the cavern is musty and reeks of neglect. However, soon I hear the calming sound from the astonishing waterfall. I glance up to the hole in the ceiling and feel the corners of my mouth upturn slightly. Our secret place is still as stunning as it has always been. Nothing's changed. The waterfall still flows into the underground lake through the large gaping hole in the cavern's ceiling. The torches we added sixteen years ago are still in their holders, which I quickly light with a spell. Nothing has changed here, but I never have thought it would.

I hear a soft noise from her, so I set her down on the bed she conjured for our times here. Her eyes quickly open seconds later, and she stares at me with an indiscernible look. I watch her while she slowly glances around as she regains her bearings.

"Severus, you…why?" she whispers.

"You always claimed it to be a healing place," I quietly reply, recalling the times she brought me here so no one would learn that we slept in the same bed together in order to ward off my nightmares. "I had thought it would be prudent if I were to bring you here." She softly smiles and nods.

"Thank you."

"I…I must admit that I am confused by your behavior." She nods slowly. "I have always known you to take matters such as Harry's difficulty to be personal, but I have never seen you act in that manner before. Did Dursley do more to you than what I am able to see?"

"No."

"Then why would you harm yourself in that manner?"

"I didn't mean to, Severus. I just couldn't handle myself as I usually can."

"Well, then know that Albus has spoken with your mother." I watch her pale instantly. "However, I am sure that when we return you can convince Pomfrey and Albus to delay her arrival." She nods appreciatively before sighing heavily.

"I've certainly made a mess of things, haven't I?" I do not respond. "I apologize for my behavior last night. I should not have seen Dursley. I should have stayed out of matters that do not concern me. However, I cannot help it. Knowing what they did to that poor boy, well, they are lucky to be alive."

"As are you," I reply quietly. "Do not apologize to me, though. I understand better than most."

"I know, and that's…" I then hear her sniffle slightly as she turns away from me. Not many times have I seen her cry, but the tightness in my chest quickly returns as it always does with her tears. "Look at me. I'm being so overly pathetic right now."

"Do not concern yourself over how you look. I do not care of such things. I only care that you are well so do what you must to ensure your health."

"Even if that means hexing you?" she jokes.

"If you must," I reply, cringing slightly inside.

"Well, don't worry, Severus." I don't respond because I am noticing the slight tremor in her wand hand. "There really is only one thing I want, and that's to sleep."

"Then do so," I say. "I will watch over you."

"I know you will." Her mouth then opens to speak again, but no sound comes out. She tries several more times before she finally is able to say my name. "Severus."

"Yes?"

"I know I'm being ridiculous, but perhaps you could hold me tonight?"

I open my mouth to decline her politely, but instead I respond with an 'of course'. At the sight of her brief smile, I decide that it is not going to kill me. I walk towards her and gently slide into the bed. It does not take her long to set her head gently on my chest. The intoxicating smell of raspberries nearly drowns me. However, I say nothing.

For nearly an hour, I hold her in silence and notice how relaxed she is in my arms. I must admit there is a part of me that makes me feel at peace with her in my arms. However, I am never going to admit that. I have already lost one woman I loved. I do not need to lose a second, especially Aurora. One can only take so much before he suffers for his last time.

"Severus," she whispers. Again, I do not respond, but she understands me all the same, which is another thing she has always done. "I love you." The lump in my throat rises up as I close my eyes.

"I know," I reply barely above a whisper. Oh, god, do I know, I think somberly.