Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy, and a big thanks to Fujoshi for pointing out my stupid mistake in this chapter.
Settling in for a Long Night

Harry stands in front of me with a look of pure hatred in his eyes, which I understand. I must admit that I am rather surprised that he came at all. Quite honestly, I have been under the impression that I would have had to drag the boy down kicking and screaming. However, here he stands before me in the Slytherin common room under his own volition.

"I trust I need not go over the rules with you?" I ask softly. I do not know why I am acting so odd around Harry. Perhaps it is due to how quickly my thoughts have changed concerning him, but I honestly do not know the answer.

"No," Harry sharply responds. "I think I get it."

"I understand your anger," I say in attempts to placate.

"No, sir," Harry snarls softly. "I don't think you do."

I instantly catch his eyes and respond, "You feel the need to lash out because you are not satisfied with this arrangement."

"Would you be?" he snaps.

"No," I answer honestly. That seems to throw him off-guard. I watch his eyes narrow on me as if searching for some hidden answer. I say nothing, though. He then sighs heavily and turns away.

"Why don't you try to convince Professor Dumbledore to let me stay in Gryffindor then, Snape? It's not as if you're thrilled about this idea any more than I am. After all, you probably think that I'm dirtying your House with my presence."

I cannot hold back my chuckle. As if any student in my House dirtied it than it already is, I think. I instantly catch the Harry's temper, which makes me stifle my chuckling. I can see clearly in his eyes the hurt and anger. I know those looks all too well. They are another gift of his mothers.

"Mr. Potter, do not attempt to discern what my thoughts are. You will learn with time that I am more complicated than you could ever imagine."

"So you're enjoying this then," Harry growls at me.

"If you are referring to the fact that I have a twelve-year-old boy throwing a temper tantrum in front of me, then, yes, Mr. Potter, I am positively enjoying this," I respond sarcastically. "But do not worry. I am sure that I will find more amusement elsewhere."

"I hate you!"

"The feeling was once mutual, Mr. Potter, but now I think you will come to see that we are not so different, you and I."

"Why, Snape? Are you a secret Gryffindor too?"

I merely raise an eyebrow at him. The boy clearly has some wit about him. My eyes then catch the slight movement in the back of the room. Well, this should be interesting, I think as I watch the blonde second-year Slytherin slowly walk towards us. I should have known that it was too much to ask of those cowards. Excellent, Draco, you are well on your way.

"Ah, Mr. Malfoy, glad you could join us," I calmly state when he is close to us. I instantly notice out of the corner of my eye Harry tense up at the mention of Draco's name. I then see the familiar Holly wand slowly slip into his hands. "There will be no need for wands, Mr. Potter."

"Says you," Harry mutters softly.

"Yes, says me," I repeat before casting a nonverbal and wandless summoning spell. Harry's wand immediately flies to my hand. "To ensure that you do not do anything rash," I explain.

"That's mine," Harry says through grit teeth.

"I am well aware of that fact, Mr. Potter. However, I am also well aware of your turbulent past concerning Mr. Malfoy."

"Oh, are you now? Where were you when—"

"We all have our roles to play, Mr. Potter. You shall know mine in the end. For now, know that this feud between you and Mr. Malfoy is over. As you can see, Draco is wandless. I would think that you being the upstanding student you are would never curse an unarmed wizard. Or am I wrong, Mr. Potter?" He says nothing, though. He only glares at me. However, I remain perfectly calm. "I will return your wand first thing in the morning."

"Sure, you will, Snape, and what's to prevent all of Slytherin from killing me before then?"

"Mr. Malfoy," I flatly state. Harry's mouth drops before glancing towards Draco.

"You're joking!"

"On the contrary, Mr. Potter, I am being quite serious. Mr. Malfoy has given me his word that he will ensure your safety." I sense Harry's distrust in my words instantly. "He is well aware of the consequences if he breaks his word, Mr. Potter. Now, I believe we have wasted enough time tonight. Mr. Malfoy, escort him to his rooms." I watch both boys uneasily walk towards the boys' dormitories. "Goodnight, Gentlemen," I call after them. Neither one responds before the door shuts. "Merlin, help me if they survive the night," I mutter to myself as I walk out of the common room. Never again will I ever accept Albus's offer of a lemon drop again, I think. They've made me as barmy as him.

I silently walk back to my quarters in the dimly lit corridors. My eyes narrow on the dark haired witch standing in front of my quarters. I can hear her trying to convince the portrait of Salazar Slytherin to permit her to enter my quarters. She is losing the battle. When I am right behind her, I stop and lean against the wall. I cross my arms and listen to her.

"But what if he's hurt, Salazar?"

"I do not believe that to be the case, Professor," Salazar coolly responds as he glances towards me. A sly smile spreads across his face, but he quickly glances back at her. "However, if you would state your true intention—"

"That is my true intention!"

"Yes, well, I do not believe that to be the case. After all, it is extremely rare for you not to be in your tower, Professor Sinistra." Salazar then narrows his eyes on her. "Especially when the stars are so beautiful tonight," he says. "Now, state your true intention, and perhaps I will allow you entrance."

"Fine, you OVERGROWN MONKEY!" yells Sinistra. "I'm going to steal all of his Firewhiskey and any other alcohol he stores in his rooms."

"Why in the Nine Hells would you do that?"

"Because he's obviously lost what little of his mind he had left. Why else would he petition the Headmaster to transfer that Potter boy from Gryffindor to his house? He clearly has no feelings of compassion for the boy due to his sordid past with Potter's father. But to take out this silly revenge on the boy who has no recollection of his parents is absurd."

"Tell me how you really feel, Aurora," I quietly say behind her.

Sinistra instantly jumps at the sound of my voice before whirling around with her long silver wand drawn. Before I am able to cast a quick shield, her spell hits me and throws me to the floor. I grimace slightly from how powerful her spell is, but I say nothing. I slowly get up and stare at her.

"YOU!" she snarls.

"Indeed," I respond cocking an eyebrow challenging her silently. The games we play are quite fun at times and are a necessary distraction for the both of us. Sometimes, though, I believe she enjoys them too much. "Stealing my spirits, are we? You do remember what happened the last time you tried to break into my rooms, don't you? Or need I remind you again?"

"Why are you doing this to him, Snape? Can't you leave the poor boy alone?"

I take a quick glance around. The corridor is not the place to discuss this, especially with her. I then wave my hand towards Salazar, which quickly makes the portrait swing open. I motion for her to walk in first, but she refuses. I too am growing tired of this game so I grab her wrist and yank her into my rooms after me. The door closes behind us. The second I feel the wards in place, I release her and walk calmly towards my chair that is the closest to the fireplace.

"What makes you believe that I am doing this out of some sort of revenge, Sinistra?"

"Oh, only action you've ever done to the poor boy since he's been here," she snaps as she takes a seat on my couch. "He is not James Potter, Severus."

"Yes, so I've realized," I softly respond.

"Then what is this, Severus? Because right now it seems to be some sort of sick game that you're playing with the boy. And if it is, then I'm telling you right now to stop it before I hex you right here and now!"

"It is not a game, Aurora. I merely wish to protect him."

"By putting him in the snake pit?" she squawked. "You might as well just have thrown him in the Forbidden Forest, Severus. They'll kill him."

"I doubt that."

"Yeah, well, when I tell you 'I told you so' when he's in the Hospital Wing recovering, don't try to curse me. Because I told you so!" she screams loudly.

"What would you have me do, Aurora? The boy is a Parselmouth! Surely, even you know how rare it is for a Gryffindor to exhibit that interesting gift."

"That doesn't mean anything. I'm sure there've been others in different Houses than Slytherin."

"Why do you think Slytherin's mascot is a snake, Sinistra? Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth as was the Dark Lord. Tell me. Do you not find that to be an interesting fact? That a boy who has no known familial ties to either wizard suddenly exhibits the rare gift in front of his classmates?"

"So what?" she responds. "I'm related to Salazar, and you don't see me speaking to snakes."

"Yes, but you've never had a dark wizard try to kill you before, Sinistra."

"Unless you count all those pesky Death Eaters, right, Snape?" she drawls. She then rolls her eyes. "Fine, say I believe you then. What are you saying then? That he's some sort of—"

"I am merely stating that I do not believe the boy belongs in Gryffindor, which the Headmaster agrees with me on. There is something about the boy that makes me think that there's more to him than what we see." I then inhale deeply. I can see her struggling against herself mentally. "Aurora, I only ask that you trust me this one time. If I am wrong, then I will expect to hear your 'I told you so'. However, if I am right, then I implore you to stand with me."

"You've already got Albus and Minerva behind you, why do you need me?"

"You have a special insight into his actions and an established trust built with him that I do not. The boy must understand that I am not his enemy."

"Fine," she says. "I'll do it, but I'm hexing you if it doesn't work." She then leaves my quarters and leaves me to my thoughts.