Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy. :)
Curious Culprit

It is at least five minutes before Aurora blesses me with her presence. I can hear her soft footfalls as she walks into the kitchen. I only glance at her before resuming my glare at the spot where the adoption papers once was.

"Severus, is something wrong?"

I nearly groan when I hear Aurora. Oh no, of course nothing is wrong, Aurora. My life is just perfect. I am now the sole parent of my childhood nemesis James Potter and, Lily, my true love's son. My life truly can't get any worse. Well, it could, but that doesn't mean that I want it to become worse. I make no movement to inform her that I heard her. After all, what could I possibly say?

"You're not upset because I read your papers, are you?"

My interest piques at that statement. I glance at her and narrow my eyes. I need no words because she fully understands me. I can tell by how she glances at the floor with a look of scarlet shame.

"My papers?" softly I ask. "To what papers are you referring to, Aurora?"

"The papers for adopting Harry," she responds calmly.

"You read those papers?" Slowly, she nods. "I see, and where did you find them?"

"The papers were on your nightstand. You see, I was rather bored, and the papers were just lying there so my curiosity took over. I mean, I know you probably didn't want me to read the papers and everything, but the papers were just right there. You're mad, aren't you?"

"When you finished perusing over documents that didn't belong to you, what exactly did you do with them?" I ask ignoring her question.

"Well, I think I took the papers into the other room because you needed your bedroom."

"The other room as in the spare bedroom closest to the sitting room?" quietly I ask.

"Yeah, that's sound about right. Why do you ask?"

I should have known that this entire failure was her fault. It reeked of something she would do. I glare at her imagining several plots that involved her being dead. However, seconds later, I sighed.

"Obviously, you have not had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Potter this morning."

"Well, of course not," Aurora drawls. "I've been doing as Madam Pomfrey has requested so I stay out of her Infirmary." Her dark eyes then narrow on me. "Something happened, didn't it?"

"Due to your extreme idiocy, he found the papers, which somehow managed to appear in his room. Perhaps you know the reason for that." Aurora doesn't reply, but I didn't expect her to. She is rather intelligent when she attempts to be.

"I take it that Harry doesn't like the idea then?"

"He believes I would only willingly adopt him because of his mother and the Heir of Slytherin nonsense." Aurora nods slowly before sitting in the chair across from me. She stares at me as if trying to ascertain my motives. A few moments later, she sighs and leans back in her chair.

"I doubt he really believes that," she quietly quips. "If you asked my opinion, I'd say he's scared. He's used to adults abandoning him. You, however, are continuing to battle against this preconceived notion of his, and he's unsure of what to make of it. I would bet that deep down he'd be rather glad to learn you signed the papers." I snort. Of course, she knew all along that I had signed the documents.

"What gave it away?" I ask.

"Glaring at a table for nearly five minutes is a sure sign that something happened. Add your reaction to when I stated that I read the documents, well, it doesn't take a Ravenclaw there, Severus."

"I see your mood and humor are improving."

"Well, you are an excellent psychologist."

Again, I snort at her. Since she has been staying in my quarters so that I can observe her properly, we have talked about items that she feels she has no control over in her life. For my part, I only listen to her. I never offer any advice because I do not want that responsibility if something goes wrong. However, I will comment to her that she is being ridiculous with some of her items.

"Perhaps we should end this agreement of ours and allow us both to go our separate ways."

"If you feel it'd be best," Aurora replies. "After all, you do need to get to know your adoptive son," she says smiling. "Man, I'm tired again. I'll see you later, Severus."

Aurora then leaves, and I sigh. Damn you, Albus and Aurora, I think, you meddlesome fools!

Chapter End Notes:
So, how many of you guessed it was Aurora beforehand?