Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Decisions

I walk into the Hospital Wing silently. However, Madam Pomfrey greets me at the door. I bow my head towards her in acknowledgement. The matron glances towards the cots where the boys are. I can just make out who is in which cot.

"Good evening, Severus."

"Madam," I respond cordially.

"I've informed young Mr. Potter that you'd be arriving shortly."

Ah, yes, and how did he take that wonderful news, Poppy, I think rather amused. The boy probably nearly had a panic fit especially since this morning. I then sigh and nod towards her. Well, I suppose it could be worse. You did manage to keep the boy here somehow. She then hands me a chart, which makes me raise an eyebrow towards her.

"I've taken the liberty to retrieve Mr. Potter's medical records. You may use my office."

"Why on Earth would you allow me to see these, Pomfrey?" I ask rather confused.

"Well, I am under the impression that you'll do the right thing, Severus."

With that lovely statement, she quietly walks away towards Harry and Draco. I roll my eyes and sigh. Well, I guess I can ponder over it. I doubt I'll see anything that will make me do the right thing, though. I've already seen the attack. What more could possibly be in the boy's file that I need to see? I walk into her office, though, and sit down. Silently, I open the file and slowly start to read it, starting with Harry's first examination after his Sorting.

Name: _______Harry James Potter___

Birthday: _______July 31, 1980________

Age: ____________11____________

Weight: __________26 kg___________

Height: _________125 cm___________

Comments: _Harry is severely underweight when compared to his peers. He shows signs of severe malnutrition. Upon my examination, I found numerous broken bones, scars, and burns that improperly healed. In some cases, where he broke a bone, calcification has now resulted and has caused pressure to the nerves. The evidence suggests physical abuse. However, upon questioning, Harry easily explains away the injuries as incidents of 'roughhousing'.

I sigh and turn the page, refusing to read any more of the first page. The medical report reads as a story to my own life. This is what Albus has hinted at earlier. I ignore the following pages that report about the numerous injuries and sicknesses the boy had his first-year. It takes a few seconds before I finally reach his second-year report.

Name: _______Harry James Potter___

Birthday: _______July 31, 1980________

Age: ____________12____________

Weight: __________35 kg___________

Height: _________130 cm___________

Comments: _Harry continues to be underweight when compared to his peers. He is showing signs of improvement while at school. However, he continues to show signs of malnutrition upon returning from summer break. Upon examination, I found several more broken bones that healed improperly. In addition, a new scar six inches in length is on his side. When asked, Harry responded that he was in a 'car accident'. However, the scar appears to be the result from a hunting knife.

I close my eyes and close the report. I have neither the heart nor energy left to finish reading the horror story that Harry and I unfortunately share. It makes sense now why when I look at the boy now, I see myself. I sigh heavily and hang my head. He deserves better. He deserves a home where he does not have to live in constant fear. I shake my head. He had that home in Gryffindor, but I foolishly took that from him without so much as even caring what he would think. They are all right. I should have left him there. I could have protected him while he was in Gryffindor. It would have been difficult. Yes, but since when have I ever taken the easy road when given the option?

"Madam Pomfrey said you wanted to talk to me," Harry's quiet voice says from the doorway.

I glance up and instantly catch the green eyes of his mother's. It pains me to look at him knowing that I am the reason he is an orphan. I say nothing, only motion towards the chair next to me. He hesitantly looks at it before closing the door and walking towards me. It is a step of trust. I suppose we must all start somewhere and for now, I will take baby steps from him. As I stare at him, I steeple my fingers steeple in front of my lips.

"You wish to return to Gryffindor?" My voice is soft and contains some unknown emotion that I do not even recognize anymore. Harry stares at me before nodding slowly. "Before I speak with the Headmaster, I believe it is time I…I explain myself to you."

"What's to explain?" Harry replies barely above a whisper. "You and the Headmaster thought it'd be fun to throw me into the one place that hates me as much as Voldemort."

"No, Harry. I had thought that you speaking Parseltongue would be the perfect opportunity for me to move you to Slytherin so that I may protect you properly. I regret that I did not consult you in this decision. Nor did I even take into any consideration how my House would react," I admit.

"What does it matter, Snape? No one's ever asked me what I wanted before. Why start now?"

Hatred fills his words. I close my eyes. I have made a mess of things now. This is what I get for trying to be like Albus. Perhaps I should leave the meddling to the expert. At least his meddling doesn't get people nearly killed. I do not include myself in his meddling because it has always been my choice.

"Because it has come to my attention that I cannot just allow myself to protect you, Harry. I must also help you so that you do not make my mistake. No doubt, you have felt for so long that we adults either hurt or use you. I regret that I have done both. When you first arrived here, I saw only James in your face. I allowed my hatred for your father to blind me so that I did not see who you really were."

"Oh, yeah, Snape, and who's that?"

"Harry Potter, a boy who lost both his parents because of a foolish wizard who lost himself to the darkness and could not bring himself to ask for help and another wizard who is hell-bent on destruction of all life. You are also a boy who shares your mother's eyes and her kindness."

"You…you knew my mother?" I nod slowly.

"She was partly the reason why James and I fought so much. We both cared for her greatly. Your mother was quite the witch."

"Because she was Muggleborn?" he snarls.

"I regret that I did harbor feelings of dislike towards those who were not pureblooded at one time, but I have no qualms with Muggleborn, Harry. I myself am a half-blood. How could I ever truly believe that hatred pureblood Slytherins spew?" I then notice Harry glancing towards the window.

"It isn't fair, Snape."

"Life is not supposed to be fair, Potter," I simply reply. "However, I believe I still have several correspondences of your mother. I shall return them to you in the morning. I perhaps might even have a picture or two of her. I am certain the other professors would be more than happy to inform you about your parents." I see the soft edge of a smile behind his frown.

"Hello, Harry," a voice says behind us.

I whirl around as does Harry. When my eyes fall on Aurora, I sigh. It never fails. Aurora smiles pleasantly at me before leaning against the closed door. She then glances towards the file on the desk that I have been reading. Her smile widens.

"Interesting reading, Severus?" she asks with a smile.

"As if I would tell you," I respond. "Unless it has escaped your notice—"

"It has not, but I thought you might like to know something before you both decide on where you're going to leave this quaint little discussion of yours." Aurora then glances towards Harry. "Would you like to hear something, Harry?"

"I…sure, Professor," Harry quietly answers.

"Do you know what an Unbreakable Vow is?" Harry shakes his head. I instantly feel my stomach sour, but I say nothing. "An Unbreakable Vow is a promise a wizard makes that has two ways of ending. Either the wizard fulfills his promise absolving the vow, or the promise is not. Would you like to hear what occurs if the vow is broken?" Harry slowly nods as my heart drops. "The wizard then dies because he made the promise on his life. It takes a great wizard to make such a promise, Harry. I mean, would you ever promise on your life that you would fulfill something knowing there was a chance you could die if you didn't fulfill it? I know I could not."

"Professor, um…why are you telling me this?"

"Because Severus has made this Vow," Aurora quietly replies. I instantly feel Harry's eyes on me. The questions flood the boy's eyes. "Do you know what promise he has made knowing that he could die if he fails?" Harry shakes his head slowly. Aurora's dark eyes stare into mine as my words from the past hauntingly float from her lips. "I, Severus Tobias Snape, solemnly swear that I will protect Harry James Potter so that he may live when his parents could not." She then sighs softly. "As I said, Harry, it takes a great wizard to promise such a thing. Do you understand why I have told you this?"

"So that I know why Snape's protecting me," Harry responds.

"It also out of love, Harry," she says. "Severus has always been a fierce protector of those he considers his own. While I am undoubtedly right, he would never admit it, but you have become one of his own, Harry. Do you know why?"

"Because I'm a Parselmouth?" he responds hesitantly.

"No, Harry, it is because of your mother. However, I believe he is starting to see similarities between the both of you…such as your family's treatment of you, Harry."

"I…I don't understand."

"Cupboard under the stairs," Aurora simply states. She then levels a glance at him as if she is Albus himself. "I take it I do not have to say anything else, do I, Harry?"

"No, Professor," Harry quietly replies.

"Sharing a burden, another thing you have in common, I believe. Perhaps, Harry, you can allow him to know so that he may protect you and keep you from harm. I know it is difficult to trust, Harry. I know how you believe that nothing you do will change what has happened. I know the pain you feel and the desire you have to belong to a real family. Admit it, Harry. That is why you are angry with Severus. Because he took you from the only family you've ever truly known," she says.

"He can't help me, Professor."

"And just how do you know he can't, Harry? Are you a Seer?"

"No, but they don't listen. None of you listen," Harry replies.

"Severus will listen, Harry, but only if you speak." She then glances at me. "He is a wonderful listener." Bowing her head towards me, she smiles before sighing. "If you want a family, Harry, then speak up or allow yourself to wallow in your pain as you've done for so long." She then walks out. The door quietly closes behind her.

I glance towards Harry. He has wrapped his arms protectively around himself. I remain silent to allow him to make the first move. Several times, he opens his mouth only to close it a few seconds later. Come on, Harry. Show me that Gryffindor courage or at least some Slytherin self-preservation. I'll take anything. Please, Harry. Speak. Say something. I receive my answer moments later.

"She's sort of scary when she does that."

"That she is, Mr. Potter," I say chuckling. I wait a few more moments as he collects his thoughts.

"Did you really make that promise? You know, to protect me?" he asks.

"Aurora always speaks the truth, Harry." I then sigh heavily. "I made that vow the night I learned of your parents' deaths." The young boy sighs softly before nodding. "And I mean it, Harry."

"Yeah, I got that when she said that you'd die otherwise," Harry replies. He then glances at me. "I don't know how…how to even begin."

"So don't. Start with the middle or the end. I will listen, Harry."

"I want to be in Gryffindor."

Numbly, I nod. The boy has made his decision and I know that I will have to respect his wishes. At least now, I know where Harry stands and that he made the decision, not Albus or I. I sigh and start to rise. However, the boy's quiet voice draws me back.

"But…well, did you know the Sorting Hat wanted to put me in Slytherin first?"

"I did not," I reply quietly.

"Maybe I'm supposed to be there. I mean, how many Gryffindors can actually talk to snakes?" Harry then sighs heavily. "Hermione tried looking in the library to see if there was any known Parselmouth in any House other than Slytherin. She couldn't find one. So that…that means I should have been a Slytherin, right?"

"I do not know," I reply. "However, it is your decision, Harry."

"But it's not, Snape," Harry responds. "It's not really my decision. I mean, I can't just leave Draco there…not after what he did for me last night. He might be a right git to me sometimes, but he stood up against his House for me. They'll kill him for that."

"I do not believe that to be the case anymore, Harry."

"Why? What did you do?"

"I believe it is more of what Aurora did than me. However, I've spoken with several of my Slytherins and they've ensured me that they'll see to your safety. That is if you decide to return."

"Would I have to do anything to return to Gryffindor?"

"No. I would only need to speak with the Headmaster."

Harry then sighs before he glances at me. I can see him searching my face for answers to questions he refuses to ask. I lower my mask for a few short moments so that he can see I am serious about it being his decision. He turns away from me and sighs again.

"I need some time. Can I—"

"I understand. Take the time you need. Speak with Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley if you must, but do what you wish, Harry. I shall still protect you no matter what you decide." Harry nods before rising to his feet. He slowly walks to the door before turning back. I can see the question in his eyes.

"What…what exactly is going to happen to the kids that attacked Draco and me?"

"I believe the Headmaster has expelled all that were involved," I calmly answer.

"Oh," Harry replies glancing down. "Sorry," he mumbles.

"Do not concern yourself over their fates, Harry. They chose to harm you and Draco, not us. They are lucky I allowed Albus to deal with them and not myself."

"Or even Sinistra," Harry says laughing. "I'll see you tomorrow, sir." He then leaves quietly.

"Until tomorrow," I whisper.